Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
Belle599
DIS Veteran

A 7 DAY DATE ~ Just the 2 of us ~ Oct 2010 F&W fun :: Updated Apr 14

Here is my first attempt at a TR!

DH and I had a fabulous 7 day date from Oct 20-26 at WDW!

If you enjoy reading adults only TRs then this is for you.

This was a pre-birthday (November 7) trip for me, but also a relatively last-minute trip.

Cast:

Me Belle (not my real name) 26
I work as a professional in the accounting and financial services industry and am a former semi-professional musician. (Former, because you can guess which one pays more!) I love all music especially progressive rock/metal, shoes & handbags, chocolate, and of course WDW!

DH 33
DH works in sales and also loves music (this is how we met!). DH also loves superheroes, star wars and other nerdy things like that.

We were married in May 2009 and honeymooned in WDW for 3 weeks! We also visited for 2 weeks in May 2010 for our 1st anniversary!!

Here is our PTR (my first PTR!)

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2521131

Next Post, Day 1
:: Aug 2005 CSR :: Aug 2005 AsMu :: Sep 2006 CSR :: Sep 2007 AsMu :: Apr 2008 (Royal Pacific Universal) :: May 2009 Contemporary & Windsor Hills :: May 2010 Windsor Hills :: Oct 2010 offsite & Beach Club Villas :: Dec 2010/Jan 2011 Sheraton Safari & Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort :: May 2011 Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort :: Sep 2011 Old Key West & AsSp :: Dec 2011 Bluegreen The Fountains & Springhill Suites at Seaworld :: Feb 2012 Pop Century :: Jun 2012 Courtyard Marriott Village :: Sep 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village :: Dec 2012 AsMu :: Feb 2013 Encantada :: May 2013 Disneyland! :: June 2013 Hampton Inn South LBV :: Sep 2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House & Saratoga Springs Resort :: Dec 2013 Pop Century & AsMu :: Feb 2014 Windsor Hills & AsSp :: Mar 2014 AsSp :: May 2014 Encantada :: Aug 2014 AsSp :: Sep 2014 Disneyland! :: ...and 2 times as a wee one ::

Last edited by Belle599; 04-14-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
Belle599
DIS Veteran

Day 1 - Wednesday, October 20

We woke up at 8:30 am and left home at 10am en route to Buffalo Airport from Ontario. Already a wonderful day as I was not going to the office.

With a late afternoon flight time, I was on a misson for some Nine West boots and shoes!

We tried Canada One factory outlets in Niagara Falls, Ontario, but nothing good there.

Over to America then, land of fabulous shoes at fabulous prices! We took the Rainbow bridge this time (usually Peace bridge).

I had better luck at Fashion Outlets of Niagara in Niagara Falls, NY. Usually I find this outlet to be pretty run down but I found a pair of slouchy boots and a pair of pumps for work for a total of $88!!!

Then we drove to Amherst NY and had lunch at Panera MMMMMmmmmmm and was done by 1:45pm. We don't have Panera in Canada so this was a real treat. DH had Bacon Turkey club and mac n cheese and I had the Med Veggie sandwich and broccoli cheddar soup YUM!

We hit up Target next since we don't have Target in Canada and I loooove Target. Our discount stores are Walmart and Zellers which are both pretty icky. I picked up some skin care items, again since they are half the price in the US - a common theme here isn't it!

Before we parked the car at the airport we filled up with gas since US gas is also less expensive....god bless america again lol.

The friendly american pumping gas next to us made sure that we knew that US gas is 25% cheaper than Canadian gas. Thank you for the PSA my american friend.

3/4 of a tank of gas was $25 USD. I just filled at home for $39 CAD for a full tank.

After picking up some 1/2 subs from subway to bring on the the plane, we arrived at Buffalo airport at 3pm and were at the gate before 3:45pm. I LOOOOOVE the Buffalo airport.

DH's carryon bag was looking funny through the scanner so the TSA agent asked his permission to look inside the bag. She was so very polite and professional. She asked him to not touch the bag while she was searching and of course he told her to do whatever she needed to do.
I cannot stress how extermely professional she was in opening his bag. She determined that his deodorant was the problem item so she requested his permission to remove it and send it through the scanner on its own. Once this was done we were on our way.
BTW this was a solid stick deodorant so was not in our baggie.

We had a 4:20pm flight and they started the lineup for boarding about 30 mins before that. Boarding began at 4pm.

Nice and quick!!!

Day 1 continued in next post - We arrive in Orlando!!!
:: Aug 2005 CSR :: Aug 2005 AsMu :: Sep 2006 CSR :: Sep 2007 AsMu :: Apr 2008 (Royal Pacific Universal) :: May 2009 Contemporary & Windsor Hills :: May 2010 Windsor Hills :: Oct 2010 offsite & Beach Club Villas :: Dec 2010/Jan 2011 Sheraton Safari & Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort :: May 2011 Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort :: Sep 2011 Old Key West & AsSp :: Dec 2011 Bluegreen The Fountains & Springhill Suites at Seaworld :: Feb 2012 Pop Century :: Jun 2012 Courtyard Marriott Village :: Sep 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village :: Dec 2012 AsMu :: Feb 2013 Encantada :: May 2013 Disneyland! :: June 2013 Hampton Inn South LBV :: Sep 2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House & Saratoga Springs Resort :: Dec 2013 Pop Century & AsMu :: Feb 2014 Windsor Hills & AsSp :: Mar 2014 AsSp :: May 2014 Encantada :: Aug 2014 AsSp :: Sep 2014 Disneyland! :: ...and 2 times as a wee one ::
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2010, 07:17 AM   #3
Disneychix
Is it summer yet?

HI! I'm glad you started a TR! I was wondering how your trip went!

Sooo happy you tried Panera! Good right? What a wonderful mini-shopping trip to start your vacation!

"You ain't never had a friend like MEEEEEE"

May 2010 TR-39th B-Day full of surprises!

Come read my December 2009 TR!!
Old 12-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
Belle599
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneychix View Post
HI! I'm glad you started a TR! I was wondering how your trip went!

Sooo happy you tried Panera! Good right? What a wonderful mini-shopping trip to start your vacation!
Thank you so much for the Panera recommendation!!! It was so good that we fit in another Panera visit later in the trip....
Did you end up finding a good rental car rate?
Hope you had a nice trip too, do you have a TR?
Old 12-10-2010, 09:20 PM   #5
Belle599
DIS Veteran

Day 1 .....continued

We had a rather uneventful flight, which means a good flight

We were landing just about as the sun set and so it was really pretty

And then were were 'home', at MCO

We ended up touching down about 8 mins early - yay!

We had to wait on the runway a bit but it didn't matter since we didn't have to stop to pick up our checked luggage.

I have NEVER travelled carry on only before and I have to say I am very proud of myself (and DH of course) for managing with carry on only. I would do it again for a trip of less than a week if it is the summer, only because summer clothing takes up very little space, right?

So we were off right away to Hertz. DH is now

since I got him free enrollment via Delta skymiles I think it was?

In 2009 we had rented Hertz back when it was offsite and it was a bloody NIGHTMARE!!!!

In 2009 our plane arrived close to midnight and we had to wait over an hour at Hertz to get our car.

The only reason I rented Hertz this time is
1. DH is now #1 Gold so I thought that would minimize the wait
2. Hertz is now onsite
3. We got a pretty cool car for over $100 less than the next lowest quote which was for an icky Aveo.

We proceeded directly to the garage and to the #1 gold desk where they had DH's name on the board and his keys ready for him - it was a breeze.

We found the car very easily. Our car was.........

A Silver 2010 Prius!

Overall I enjoyed this car and I would rent it again. I thought it would be lacking in the zoom zoom quadrant but when the gas engine assisted, it has plenty of juice.

However I would not buy it because when in reverse, it beeps - in the interior of the car. I could understand on the exterior.....but the beeping is annoying. It was a very roomy car though and drove very nicely.

Here is how the car turned on

Both my cars have keys so this was like a toy for me haha.

We left Hertz at about 7:45 and hit up Target for some water/Powerade and ice packs and were went to our hotel to check in.

Since this was not a luxury vacation and just a "7 day date" we were using some Marriott points to stay at Fairfield Inn & Suites International Drive which is on Canada Ave:

Overall I was happy with the hotel since it was free haha. It was clean, service was good, complimentary breakfast was good enough. Fixtures were dated. I would stay again if redeeming points. Nothing special here though.

We had a King room but this photo will show you the kind of vibe

It wasn't quite bedtime yet, so we decided to go for a drive to check out the area since we had always stayed closer to Disney or in Kissimmee. We drove down Sand Lake Road to see "Restaurant Row" and saw

Seasons 52 (on my list of places to try sometime)

As well as

And the Samba Room

We had never driven down Sand Lake Road here so it was nice to check things out.

We had a bit of rumbly in our tumblies so ended up grabbing some not-very-fresh desserts/muffins from Perkins. I always see Perkins around the US and was curious. I will not be back. The employee was annoying in upselling and their food was not fresh.

We were tucked in before midnight because coming up.....

Day 2 - Epcot early morning - F&W food pics!
Old 12-11-2010, 11:23 AM   #6
Belle599
DIS Veteran

Day 2

Here comes Day 2!
We woke up at just past 7 to try to get to Epcot early to trade in our AP vouchers for APs. I am not really a morning person so we don't do a lot of rope drops. We had a bit of the complimentary breakfast at the hotel and off we were down the I-4.

It was a little chilly in the morning so I wore a thin cotton cardigan over my cutoffs and tank. I'm used to being in Orlando in May or Aug/Sep so these breezy mornings were foreign to me for Orlando!!

(On a side note I'm taking a brief solo trip to the World for NYE so I think I'm going to get slammed with a whole other type of Florida weather - the cool side of things!)

We got to Epcot just past 9 and our first mission was to exchange our vouchers for APs.

We then got a FP for Soarin' (which was a 25 min wait around 9:20) and went over to Test Track which was WALK ON! Awesome!!

We walked through the whole line with no stopping

And straight into the briefing room, which was empty!

Here we are! lol at DH's face and at the couple in front of us who did not want to sit beside each other haha.

We were here for Food and Wine!! We had only been once, for 1 day in 2007 so we were VERY excited

We went to the Festival Center next. To my knowledge I had never been in this building (maybe as a kid, not sure) so this was high priority on my to do list.

They had lots of foodie things for sale. Like Cheese Honey ????

And I love how these lids looked old fashioned

DH is a movie buff so he had to get a photo with the Francis Coppola wine!

I gravitated over to the sparkling wines....

Including the Brachettos

We saw these cool cheese knives that the company rep was hard selling us - lol you don't get the hard sell much at Disney so it was kinda funny.

Next we went to Soarin' to use our FPs

It was pretty empty for this attraction!

For the first time I took some pics of the video screen just for fun

I think this one is pretty cool

Next we did a bit of pin trading and then it was time to start eating!

We started in Greece and decided to go around World Showcase counter clockwise. We shared all (but 1) samplers so that we didn't fill up too quickly.

Greek Salad with Pita Bread - good

Next to Chacurie (sp?) and Cheese.
Cheese Fondue with Croutons and Roasted Potatoes - not good enough. The "cheese" was overwhelmed by whatever wine they put in it.

Applewood Smoked Beef, Duck, and Ham - ok. Wasn't really sure which meat was which - hah

And then Canada OF COURSE - here is the only time we both demanded to have our own portions.

Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup - amazing and just like inside Le Cellier! One of the best things I have ever tasted....a good use of my daily calorie alotment

Next was Ireland. Warm Chocolate Lava Cake with Baileys Irish Cream Ganache. Obviously excellent - I was so excited that I wolfed it down.

We hung out in the UK for a bit

Here is my new favourite secret resting place. Do you know where this is in the UK?

Next post....Day 2 continued!

Old 12-11-2010, 07:13 PM   #7
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

I'm joining! Looks like a good first few days. The food and wine festival is my favorite time of year to go. Yum! I saw in your ticker you're taking your first solo trip. Looks like you'll be there the same time I will.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:41 PM   #8
Belle599
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
I'm joining! Looks like a good first few days. The food and wine festival is my favorite time of year to go. Yum! I saw in your ticker you're taking your first solo trip. Looks like you'll be there the same time I will.
Hey there, thanks for joining! I clicked on your PTR and see that yup our days are nearly identical! I am going to subscribe to your PTR. Had a quick look and I see you're on the CPA path. I'm a CA (Chartered Accountant) in Canada which is the Canadian CPA equivalent. My best advice is get your CPA before IFRS is implemented down there!
Old 12-12-2010, 07:57 PM   #9
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle599 View Post
Hey there, thanks for joining! I clicked on your PTR and see that yup our days are nearly identical! I am going to subscribe to your PTR. Had a quick look and I see you're on the CPA path. I'm a CA (Chartered Accountant) in Canada which is the Canadian CPA equivalent. My best advice is get your CPA before IFRS is implemented down there!
My plan after graduation is to enroll in a CPA review class to help prep for the test. The only times to sit for it is May or November. I'm hoping for May, but would rather be prepared.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:44 PM   #10
BRMommy
Earning My Ears

Excited to hear the rest of your report. DH and I are going without the kids in October 2011. Keep 'em coming.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:22 PM   #11
Shannon84
DIS Veteran

Joining in to read your TR and catching up now
Old 12-13-2010, 07:27 PM   #12
Belle599
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
My plan after graduation is to enroll in a CPA review class to help prep for the test. The only times to sit for it is May or November. I'm hoping for May, but would rather be prepared.
I assume you're graduating this Spring? If so that is wonderful! You are so close!! How does CPA prep work? Do you have to work for a certain amount of time before you can write?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMommy View Post
Excited to hear the rest of your report. DH and I are going without the kids in October 2011. Keep 'em coming.
You will LOVE October! It is a very romantic time to tour the parks. The evenings sometimes get a little chilly if you're in your summer clothes so you'll have to snuggle up nice and close to watch the fireworks.
Although we don't have children, I believe that the best gift you can give you children is a loving marriage and that a parents-only getaway can help preserve that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon84 View Post
Joining in to read your TR and catching up now
Welcome! I will have to check out your TR later this week. I'm going to try to post the next day tonight.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:51 PM   #13
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle599 View Post
I assume you're graduating this Spring? If so that is wonderful! You are so close!! How does CPA prep work? Do you have to work for a certain amount of time before you can write?
Yup, my last day of class is January 31st. I can't wait! I feel like I have been in school forever.

It's just a prep course that helps people get ready. Technically I could just go and take it once I graduate, but I've been told by other CPA's that it's not advisable to do so. You pretty much go to class every Saturday for about 6 hours for a few weeks to go over the information.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:58 PM   #14
Belle599
DIS Veteran

Day 2 Part 2

Alright folks if you blink you might miss this TR. I'm trying to make things fast and furious because in 17 days I will be on a plane back to the World as a treat to myself.
I guess I'm addicted. Cue the Devin Townsend album (if you understood that I'm impresed)
At least this addiction is healthy for me, right?
I am so lucky to have an understanding DH.

Anyhow here we go with Day 2 Part 2.

So we were strollin' around World Showcase, counterclockwise, enjoying all that F&W had to offer.

Next was Belgium with Freshly Baked Waffles with Berry Compote and Whipped Cream - very good but the whipped cream was from a can - kind of a put off. It was still good though, especially the berries.

Then off to Morocco - we skipped the food here since we were starting to get full - but we did make it back later in the trip. We took some time here browsing and almost bought some stuff. We have had a lot of fun in this pavillion including belly dancing with CMs in the past. I love Morocco.

This took us up to about 1pm. Then we went to America for Heirloom Tomatoes with Oregon Blue Cheese, Red Onions, and Basil - which was wonderful mmmm I could go for this right now.

Next was Japan - IMO the most relaxing pavillion. I think I'm going to make a photo cluster of some of these Japan photos and put them in my office for times of high stress.

Italy was next! DH bought me a beautiful Murano glass bracelet in the Italy store. I think that I'm going to replace my Japan pick-a-pearls with the gorgeous Murano glass jewellery in Italy!

I have a serious weakness for Italian food and so does DH - as you can tell from the next photo where there is half eaten food - sorry!

Baked Cheese Ravioli with Creamy Bolognese Sauce Melted Mozzarella

Germany next! Of course I had to check out how my village was doing.

DH got 2 packages of Werthers from Karamel Kuche - we will return here in a couple days for some more treats.

At this point we were stuffed full so stopped our eating expedition. We had barely made it halfway around! That is why we didn't get anything fresh in Karamel Kuche.

DH wanted to go into the China store since there is so much cool stuff there. I was getting a bit tired an grumpy so we didn't last long in there. He did start trying on weird hats in the China store and this continued throughout the trip....

So yeah I was tired so we skipped the rest of the pavillions and went to Mousegears to cool off and do some shopping. DH like Marvel Universe figures so he was looking for some Marvel toys there.

We then rode Spaceship earth to rest a bit.

Haha our heads were together when they took the picture

We decided to go back to the hotel for a rest.

On our way out we went into the Art of Disney, which DH loves. There was a live artist there that day whom I chatted with which was really nice. I am always looking for some nice postcards or prints to take home (we just moved into a new house so the walls are bare) but I didn't find anything that fit my budget.

I did like this

We ended up leaving the park at about 6pm - it was a long day there!

I took a shot of the "On" button of the Prius - I was still getting used to it!

After resting at the hotel for a bit we went to Miller's Ale House on Idrive up near Sand Lake Road for dinner. There was playoff baseball and our beloved Doc was pitching (mind you for the wrong team).

Miller's was really good for a casual and sport-type atmosphere. The food was decent and was not overpriced. I would go back and probably the one near Disney. Maybe I will go there at the end of the month.

For those that like to drink beer, there are pretty incredible drink specials here. For those that like to drink soda, the glasses they serve are HUGE! I had a couple of Margaritas and the Southwest Bistro Steak Salad and DH had root beer and the Build your own Burger.

Next up was our Citywalk night.

We always head over to Citywalk for 1 night and print off vouchers for complimentary Party Passes from www.orlandocoupons.com - why pay cover when it is comped?

It was a Thursday so we headed to The Groove for 80s night. I remember being at The Groove in about 2008 and there was some awesome hairbands being played so that must have been an 80s night. This 80s night was decent. The drinks were kinda sugar-alcohol-water though.

I think this is DJ Doc but he no longers DJs there

On the last Thursday of every month they have an 80s cover band - it was NerdRanger. They were very entertaining but the 3-set band mixed with DJ format is difficult to manage from a dancing and bar sales perspective I think.

I would probably return to see Nerd Ranger since they were really good entertainers. But for christ sake the groove has to stop with "sex on the beach $2 in the red room". Have they been doing this for years??!!!

Since it was a Thursday night in offseason, Citywalk wasn't that hopping and the upstairs of the groove wasn't even opened. Next time I will probably go back on a Saturday.

For those of you adults who enjoy some nighttime entertainment this blog http://savepleasureisland.blogspot.com/ has some good info. I am not a huge fan of the house/trance/techno scene or music (more prog-metal & hair-metal haha) but lots of good info on the local scene.

So DH (does not drink) drove us back to the hotel safely and that's the end of Day 2!

Next up - Day 3 with some Fantasyland expansion backstage photos!

Old 12-13-2010, 10:05 PM   #15
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

I can never get around World Showcase during the food and wine festival in one day. I just end up giving up! Looks like you had some good choices.

Thanks for the links on nightlife. I will have to look into that when my brother and I go in February.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: