Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2010, 10:38 AM   #1
4forMe
DIS Veteran

Keurig stopped working

Has anyone else had this problem?

I purchased a Keurig for our household as well as one for my father last year during Black Friday weekend. My dad's Keurig was given to him as a gift for Christmas last year.

He called me last week to tell me it has stopped working. When he turns it on, he can hear the motor but it won't brew anything. He also asked me if I've had problems with mine. I informed him mine has been working perfectly.

It was working fine . . . until today. I'm now having the exact same problem. I believe there is only a one year warranty which we, of course, have just passed.

Has anyone else had this same problem? If so, how long did you own your Keurig before it stopped working correctly?
4forMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #2
heartsy77
New BCV DVC owner!

I have struggled with my Kurieg from the beginning! I have had them replace it 2x and still does exactly what you are describing. This is what I have found works. I have my DH take s small wire or broom bristle and clean out the thing that pierces the K cup on top. Also always take the Kcup put of the machine asap after its done brewing.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #3
maggiew
If she hates to be wet, then how does the survive bathing?

Mine did that. I looked up problems on the internet and one thing it said to do was check to make sure the little hole is not clogged up.

Mine once in awhile still kind of does that. It sounds like the motor is going (rrr rrr rrr rrr). If you take out the water tank and reseat it, it will start to work. (At least on mine) I find that if someone doesn't replace it properly (if its not seated properly) it won't brew.

Maggie
Prince Sakura Hotel TDR * Marriott Residence Inn LBV Dec 2013 * Hotel Cheyenne DLPR May 2013 * Aulani July 2012 * Royal Pacific July 2011 * Pop Century Aug 2010 * Disneyland Oct 2009 * Beach Club July 2009 * AsMo Dec 2007 Mousefest! * Old Key West July 2006 * Pop Century Dec. 2005 Mousefest! * Sheraton Safari July 2005 * Pop Century/Portofino Bay Hotel August 2004 * Coronado Springs Nov 2003 * Dolphin June 2003 * POR Nov/Dec 2002 * AsMu 1999 * AsSp 1997
maggiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #4
momto2inKC
DIS Veteran

My first one lasted exactly 2 years and the same thing happened, just quit working. I got my new one a couple of days ago. This morning I turn it on and guess what...it won't brew my coffee I finally did get it working but am shocked that just after 2 days i'm already having issues with it.
I almost didn't buy another Keurig, the reviews anymore are not good. But the convenience is what I love.

5/05 Pop, 12/06 POFQ, 9/07 Pop, 9/08 All Star Movies, 4/09 CBR/AKV/Disney Wonder, 12/11 Pop, 11/13 All Star Music, 11/14 CSR
momto2inKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #5
DominicaAnne
Mouseketeer

Call Keurig customer support and they will walk you through troubleshooting steps to fix it. My parent's Keurig had a problem with a clogged needle but couldn't figure out what the problem was until the Keurig support person helped them fix it. It was an easy fix and works just fine now. We have had our Keurig for 3 years with no issues, but we have always used filtered water to fill it, never just from the tap and we work ours HARD. The thing has been making between 5 and 10 cups every single day for the past 3 years and is holding up like a champ.
DominicaAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:15 AM   #6
patsal
I've discovered I don't need to be a control freak...and like it!

Unplug the unit
Pull the resevoir off and refill it, replace it on the keurig
Using a clean toothbrush "scour" the top piercing needle
Remove the k-cup holder and rinse under hot water to remove any loose grinds
Replace the holder, plug in an dtry it again, you should be all set

Things get clogged up sometimes and these steps should take care of any culprits.

Both my personal brewer and the one at work do this occasionally.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #7
Duckyiam71
DIS Veteran

I know you have helped me! Thanks. i did not know to clean the peircing needle. I have taken the tank off and reseated it, unplug it. I will check the needle from the start now on. Thanks so much!
Duckyiam71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:04 PM   #8
Jaaaacki
Mouseketeer

I just replaced ours yesterday with the Cuisinart model. Ours was pouring the hot water back into reservoir. I read you can run vinegar through it to clean the lines and it worked but I had trouble getting the taste out. So we got a new machine. The original lasted 4 years though.

Mylittleappletree on Facebook
Jaaaacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #9
Psychodisney
DIS Veteran

I have this problem every few months or so. I do the descaling with vinegar and it seems to work good again. I never get a descaling message on mine but I think it still needs to get done(I use tap water too).
Psychodisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:29 PM   #10
walkdmc

DIS Veteran

I had the same problem about 3 months after I bought mine. They replaced it with a new one which I've had for 2 years, no problems. I'd call them and see what they say.
walkdmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:59 PM   #11
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4forMe View Post
Has anyone else had this problem?

I purchased a Keurig for our household as well as one for my father last year during Black Friday weekend. My dad's Keurig was given to him as a gift for Christmas last year.

He called me last week to tell me it has stopped working. When he turns it on, he can hear the motor but it won't brew anything. He also asked me if I've had problems with mine. I informed him mine has been working perfectly.

It was working fine . . . until today. I'm now having the exact same problem. I believe there is only a one year warranty which we, of course, have just passed.

Has anyone else had this same problem? If so, how long did you own your Keurig before it stopped working correctly?
Chances are, you have coffee grounds clogging the injector. A clogged tube means your Keurig can't brew, and it makes noises like it is brewing but it won't.

Unplug your Keruig, and then use a sewing pin or a safety pin and shove it down in the tiny metal tube thing that pokes the hole in the bottom of the k-cup. If you have coffee ground clogging that tube, the pin will unclog it.

Here's a video showing how to do it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqRs4Ott21s
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:26 PM   #12
4forMe
DIS Veteran

update - success!

Thanks to everyone that posted!

I did all the things that were suggested. I don't know what step resolved the problem, but it is now working perfectly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapquitler View Post
Chances are, you have coffee grounds clogging the injector. A clogged tube means your Keurig can't brew, and it makes noises like it is brewing but it won't.

Unplug your Keruig, and then use a sewing pin or a safety pin and shove it down in the tiny metal tube thing that pokes the hole in the bottom of the k-cup. If you have coffee ground clogging that tube, the pin will unclog it.

Here's a video showing how to do it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqRs4Ott21s
Thank you so much for posting this video! I do things much better when I can see them first. Thanks again!
4forMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:01 PM   #13
rie'smom
"Always let your conscience be your guide."
I cannot look at my hamburger after I've taken a bite
Toilet paper must come over the top!

Mine had qui8t working and I threw it away and then bought a new one. It didn't work so I exchanged it. When it didn't work, I checked the K cups. Turned out the cups Wal mart carried were made a little differently and did not work with our brewer. Since I started using the BB and Y kcups again, all is fine.
rie'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:20 PM   #14
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Yes, just yesterday, just over a year old! I sent an email and I'm waiting to hear back. I'm so sleepy...
mjkacmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:40 PM   #15
tomaszewski58
Mouseketeer

Kuerig

When I called Keurig, they told me that the tubes had become too brittle. And the reason that happened was that I had not run vinegar through the machine on a monthly basis. So, for the sake of keeping your machine healthy for years to come, I would suggest the vinegar rinse.
tomaszewski58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: