Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2011, 06:30 PM   #751
wigdoutdismom
DIS Veteran

Well, Michelle was right. We did get the snow and yes we were in school today. Rumor has it we may get that day off tomorrow. Just because the wind chills are supposed to be so low tomorrow. Kids standing at bus stops. The mess refreezing. My guess is we'll be in school.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #752
xoktenox
DIS Veteran

I can't believe all the snow you Southerners are getting! I do find it quite funny how 7 inches down there paralyzes the whole town But really, you all should be the ones laughing at us, the ones who have to budget hundreds of thousands of dollars of our state and city budgets to snow removal!! We got about 18 inches a few days after Christmas, then another 3 or so inches on Sunday which just went on top of the snow that hadn't melted still from after Christmas and now on Tuesday into Wednesday we're supposed to get another 10-18 inches...I can't deal with it anymore!!! It doesn't even get a chance to all melt before more comes

Thanks for the videos, Jill! It was nice to be in sunny Florida for a while.

Loved the picture of Ben We put my fatty dog in a sweater before we let her out in the snow now because she would come in with tons of balls of ice on her, too!
7-8/13- BWV~~3/14- OKW~~ 8/14- AS Music, VGF & Pop~~ 10/14- SSR (2nd anniversary!)~~11/14- ?? (Chris' 30th birthday)

Current PTR: August 2014 Birthday & Anniversary Celebration with the (GASP!) Non-Believers

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2011, 07:08 PM   #753
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoktenox View Post
I can't believe all the snow you Southerners are getting! I do find it quite funny how 7 inches down there paralyzes the whole town But really, you all should be the ones laughing at us, the ones who have to budget hundreds of thousands of dollars of our state and city budgets to snow removal!! We got about 18 inches a few days after Christmas, then another 3 or so inches on Sunday which just went on top of the snow that hadn't melted still from after Christmas and now on Tuesday into Wednesday we're supposed to get another 10-18 inches...I can't deal with it anymore!!! It doesn't even get a chance to all melt before more comes
We used to pray for snow on Sunday afternoon. That was the only way we would get a snow day. Otherwise they would plow all night and school would be on!!! One year we had school but teachers could not get to school because it was so bad. Once I learned that I walked home from school because sitting at school in the auditorium and not doing anything because our district was dumb was not not something i wanted to do.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL
Can't wait to go back
Old 01-10-2011, 07:16 PM   #754
pooh'smate
My ticker is actually a day off

Count us in the group that didn't have school today. Here in Nebraska we have about 9 inches at our place. I hope all of you are enjoying your days off. We will see if they will call school tomorrow. If they do I think they will because of the wind chills not because of snow.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:31 PM   #755
Megablocks
DIS Veteran

Oh my gosh, that picture of Ben is hilarious! My dog never stays out in the snow long enough to get that covered. He's been with us for four years now but he's still a wimp when it comes to the cold

We are pretty much in the same boat as Kristen...we got a storm a couple of days after Christmas, then it snowed a couple inches last week, and now we are getting another 12-18 inches Tuesday into Wednesday. I don't know where it's all going to go! I unfortunately have to work on Wednesday but my dad already took a "snow day" so he can drive me in his big old Jeep so I don't have to deal with it. Luckily I can come home after and watch those Disney DVD's from Katie!

In the moments of our lives
Both the joyous and the tragic
If the truth is to be told
We are all pursuing magic

1994: CBR // 1996, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004: POR // 2005, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013: Pop Century
Next: May 2014, Pop Century!

Old 01-10-2011, 07:32 PM   #756
BrooklynnsMommy
DIS Veteran

No school again tomorrow! I think John will try and get to work tomorrow since he has some last minute things to finish up before he flies out to California early Wednesday morning.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:36 PM   #757
Ty's Nonnie
Formerly Known as Arkie, Member since 2001

Jill your snow day pics were great. I'm glad I didn't have to give our dog a bath she hates water and she's to big for the tub.lol

Hope everyone has a great week.

Last edited by Ty's Nonnie; 01-11-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:41 AM   #758
DisneyJoo2008
DIS Veteran

I am loving hearing about your snow! You seem to deal with it so much more easily than here in England. It panics us a bit and we can't seem to get on with life until its totally thawed!

I thought of Jill and the girls at work yesterday. I get travel alerts from our travel company in case any of my bosses (I'm a PA) are away on business etc... and yesterday we got one saying Alabama airport was closed!!! It made me giggle because I'm not sure anyone from work needs to go to Alabama (as we don't have offices there!!!). But it did make me smile thinking of my DIS friends!

xxx

Old 01-11-2011, 03:24 AM   #759
twob4him
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynnsMommy View Post
I saw it over on facebook. you did great! Brooklynn was so confused when I showed her. She asked whose cake it was and I said "Brooklyn Grace's" She told me it wasn't her birthday so it wasn't her cake. I had to explaing it to her and then show her a pic of your Brooklyn Grace.

Oh that is so funny! Gosh someday we gotta get these Brooklyn(n)s together!
Loved your snow pics and the doggy...hilarious! Enjoy!! Hopefully this won't make us go too late into the summer....boooo...hissss.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:34 AM   #760
daisylove
Met a DISboard Celebrity!

Good morning all you snowed in dis'ers. I am very envious now as I get ready for work. They say it may hit 80 down here and all I want is to play in the snow. Have a safe, warm day.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:33 AM   #761
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Good morning, MeMom and Jill. We are on our second snow day. The weatherman was saying things may not start thawing out until this weekend! I wonder what that will mean for school!

Love all your snow pictures! Poor Ben all covered in snow balls!!! Our two younger dogs loved the snow -- they have a new favorite game -- Chelsea flings snow at them and they try to catch it. Hours of fun for everyone!
Old 01-11-2011, 07:06 AM   #762
MeMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren_elizabeth View Post
Looks like we'll just be missing yall by a couple of days. We arrive sometime on the 9th!
We would have been there that day, but that had to be changed. I'll probably be at the wedding thinking, 'I should still be in Disney World!'

I am glad you decided to join you mom and sister for the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native NYer View Post
The weather has been pretty crazy last winter and this winter. I can't even imagine how states not used to getting lots of snow are handling it. How are the roads?
Drew says the main roads are okay, but the side roads are covered.
I heard one of the weather reporters say 39 states were having severe weather right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemy3babes View Post
Oh man! Look at all the snow you southern ladies are getting. Here in MN, we're getting hit hard again this winter. Ick! We might live in the north but enough is enough. Sheesh. lol! Stay safe and warm.

I enjoyed seeing your pictures and videos Jill.
That's what I said earlier - I don't know how you guys stand this for so long. I guess it's just whatever you get used to, huh? Around here, we are lucky to have four distinct and fairly equally spaced seasons. Our winter officially lasts as long as everyone's winter, but we usually have very little snow and maybe 10-15 days spread around of really, really cold nights. We don't get really hot until July, and by mid-August, it is dropping a few degrees to assure us that fall will follow. We really have it pretty good around here, I will say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0727 View Post
Fun snow pictures, Jill! We are getting over a foot of snow on Tuesday night although I am not sure it will be enough to close schools on Wednesday but I hope so, for my mom's sake. My cousin lives in NC and she said they only got an inch and everything shut down- schools, doctor's offices, etc.
I don't get out in even one inch of snow unless I have to. I play the 'better safe than sorry' card. In other words, I'm a big chicken - so afraid of skidding on ice or of getting hit. I am definitely one that the northerners can laugh at, but that's okay. I am fine being stuck inside for a few days,

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan61 View Post
My boys are very excited to go to Universal in May. The only way I could get them excited about this trip is to promise to go to Universal so we go to Universal on our arrival day, stay at Hard Rock Hotel (very expensive) but you get the front of the line pass then go back into Universal for a few hours the next day & then off to POFQ. The thought of loosing any Disney time was not so appealing to me but I know my boys (DH included) will have a ball. And it is my oldest DS's graduation trip.

I cannot imagine being in Orlando & not doing Disney. I know people do it all the time but not for me.

Jill that pic of Ben is so cute! Poor little dog. I bet he liked his warm bath though. The girls looked like they enjoyed all that snow.

They are now predicting anywhere from 7 inches to a foot on Wed. Two systems coming together as one is heading our way. Have fun if you have the day off tomorrow also.
I would go to Universal for someone else, too, but I would have to put at least some Disney time in there for myself, even if it was just eating a resort one day and going shopping in DTD another.

We do have the day off. We got another dusting last night, but just enough to whiten up the ground. The street looks like black glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
In the 20 years I have been in NC, I have seen us go from the solar method of snow removal to actually having plows. They will plow the main roads but getting to them is the pain.

I have some some chores, I mostly watched either what I had DVRed or extended coverage of the local news and yes I Dised.

My DH got home safely but I just let my DD have it because she waits until it is dark to go out. It is freezing and the roads are icing over. As an EMT you would think she would err on the side of caution. She did finallly come back home after I called her and pulled the mommy card.

Main roads were clear by afternoon but it still sort of sleeting and snowing here. The roads will ice over and we will probably not go back over freezing until Wednesday.
That's what they do here - main roads. You have to get to them on your own bravery. Lucky for us, our road is flat and goes straight to a main road, so if we had to get out, we could.

I'm glad your girl got back home safely. I asked Drew who was driving last night and told them to please go extra, extra slowly and carefully. I guess we will always give our Mommy advice, won't we?

Starting today, the temperatures are supposed to drop for the rest of the week until Saturday, when I saw a 40 on the forecast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigdoutdismom View Post
Well, Michelle was right. We did get the snow and yes we were in school today. Rumor has it we may get that day off tomorrow. Just because the wind chills are supposed to be so low tomorrow. Kids standing at bus stops. The mess refreezing. My guess is we'll be in school.
Wigd and Shocker and Baylor got a SNOW DAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoktenox View Post

Thanks for the videos, Jill! It was nice to be in sunny Florida for a while.

Loved the picture of Ben We put my fatty dog in a sweater before we let her out in the snow now because she would come in with tons of balls of ice on her, too!
After a couple of winters in Florida, you will probably wonder how you ever stood all that NY cold and snow. You'll be bragging to us about your 70's while we are all bundled up and scraping ice of the windshields. If you do get homesick for snowman building, you can head to GA, TN, or AL and borrow snow from a DISer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
We used to pray for snow on Sunday afternoon. That was the only way we would get a snow day. Otherwise they would plow all night and school would be on!!! One year we had school but teachers could not get to school because it was so bad. Once I learned that I walked home from school because sitting at school in the auditorium and not doing anything because our district was dumb was not not something i wanted to do.
My kids used to get so disappointed at the weathermen when they would give a hint of a snowday, but it fell through. They loved hearing the Snowbird song on those rare days anything really did happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh'smate View Post
Count us in the group that didn't have school today. Here in Nebraska we have about 9 inches at our place. I hope all of you are enjoying your days off. We will see if they will call school tomorrow. If they do I think they will because of the wind chills not because of snow.
That's what I think about so often - kids at the bus stops freezing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megablocks View Post
Oh my gosh, that picture of Ben is hilarious! My dog never stays out in the snow long enough to get that covered. He's been with us for four years now but he's still a wimp when it comes to the cold

We are pretty much in the same boat as Kristen...we got a storm a couple of days after Christmas, then it snowed a couple inches last week, and now we are getting another 12-18 inches Tuesday into Wednesday. I don't know where it's all going to go! I unfortunately have to work on Wednesday but my dad already took a "snow day" so he can drive me in his big old Jeep so I don't have to deal with it. Luckily I can come home after and watch those Disney DVD's from Katie!
I felt sorry for poor Benny. I know that warm water felt good!

Although we did have two TN areas that got 11 and 13 inches, that is not at all common for us.

I am glad your dad is driving you to work.
The DVD's will be a nice treat for when you get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynnsMommy View Post
No school again tomorrow! I think John will try and get to work tomorrow since he has some last minute things to finish up before he flies out to California early Wednesday morning.
I wish we were snowed in together so I could play with my baby girls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty's Nonnie View Post
Hey everyone! Had a big day today all three of my kids were here to celebrate my son Scott's 27th birthday. He was born Jan. 9th 1984 weighing in at a whopping 6 pds. As they all gathered today all I could do was smile and be thankful that we had this day because had it not been for a very wise doctor and the Lord looking out for us Scott nor I would be here to enjoy this day. I developed Toxemia when I was about 8 months along. My blood pressure was so high I was at stroke level. They had to do an emergencey C-Section and we spent 2 weeks in the hospital. But by the the Lords grace we survived and as you will see in my picture below my little 6 pd 19 in long baby turned into a 230 pd 6ft man. But on a lighter note......

We got our first "big" snow here in NE Arkansas. Between 5 to 6 inches. We live in a very rural area so not much is done to the county roads when we get snow or ice. We couldn't even find sleds because it's pretty rare to get this kinda snow. So we did what any other country folk would do. We inprovised.....
Sarah and Ty on a swimming pool air mattress and Sam's boyfriend using a blue plastic barrell....

Scott and Ty on a Boggie board we use in Destin....

DIL Katy on a garbage can lid...

They had a great time!
Ty didn't really know what to think about the snow at first but we had to a MAKE him go in for a warm bath and a nap...

Ty trying to make snow angels....he didn't get it, he would just falll to the ground and think he was doing something really funny.

Sorry to hijack your report MeMom but I just wanted to show off all my "kids".

Jill your snow day pics were great. I'm glad I didn't have to give our dog a bath she hates water and she's to big for the tub.lol

Hope everyone has a great week.
Always happy to have someone show off their kids.

I know Ty had a blast. I bet those little cheeks were red and cold!

One of the reporters on the Weather Channel showed a bunch of different things to sled on - cardboard, inner tubes, Rubbermaid tubs, etc. Whatever works, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyJoo2008 View Post
I am loving hearing about your snow! You seem to deal with it so much more easily than here in England. It panics us a bit and we can't seem to get on with life until its totally thawed!

I thought of Jill and the girls at work yesterday. I get travel alerts from our travel company in case any of my bosses (I'm a PA) are away on business etc... and yesterday we got one saying Alabama airport was closed!!! It made me giggle because I'm not sure anyone from work needs to go to Alabama (as we don't have offices there!!!). But it did make me smile thinking of my DIS friends!

xxx
We don't function very well down here. I wait until it thaws, too. I am afraid of getting my car hurt!

Alabama really did get hit the hardest in the south. That's funny that it made news all the way to your house! I bet you did think of two little girls and a fluffy ice dog when you heard that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twob4him View Post

Oh that is so funny! Gosh someday we gotta get these Brooklyn(n)s together!
Loved your snow pics and the doggy...hilarious! Enjoy!! Hopefully this won't make us go too late into the summer....boooo...hissss.
I am looking forward to the day we are all in Disney World at the same time. I bet the two Brookies would have much fun together at the Pop kiddie pool, and Devon could chase Bella around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisylove View Post
Good morning all you snowed in dis'ers. I am very envious now as I get ready for work. They say it may hit 80 down here and all I want is to play in the snow Have a safe, warm day.
When we form DIStown, we'll make it in southern Georgia. There won't be much snow, but enough to keep us happy. On a snow day, we'll all walk over to Jackie's house for donut muffins , let the kids build a whole bunch of snowmen, then have hot chocolate and watch Disney DVD's. What do you think?
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:24 AM   #763
CanadianWDWfan
DIS Veteran

Thanks Memom and Poolrat for your kind thoughts.

You are absolutely right about more work = more Disney money.....

I'm trying to pep myself up to go into work this morning (on my day off) because we may be short staffed.

My boss comes back from Florida today and I wonder if he will have a Disney story to share.
Last trip they went to AK and didn't see anything.... so this Christmas I bought his wife a Disney World guidebook.
I told him this time if he picks one park it has to be MK!
He is planning a big trip with another family this summer and he was shocked to find out you have to make ADR's so far in advance.
I have offerd to be thier guide or photographer, so far he hasn't taken me up.
He says someone has to run the store.....and that's me..

Oh my goodness! Ben is hilarious! Poor little doggie.... what must he have thought...

Brooklynnsmommy I lived in Auburn, I KNOW they LOVE football! Hope the cable came back on. (picture these pom poms are orange and blue)

Stay safe for another snow day friends.

Last edited by CanadianWDWfan; 01-11-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:38 AM   #764
BrooklynnsMommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianWDWfan View Post
Thanks Memom and Poolrat for your kind thoughts.

You are absolutely right about more work = more Disney money.....

I'm trying to pep myself up to go into work this morning (on my day off) because we may be short staffed.

My boss comes back from Florida today and I wonder if he will have a Disney story to share.
Last trip they went to AK and didn't see anything.... so this Christmas I bought his wife a Disney World guidebook.
I told him this time if he picks one park it has to be MK!
He is planning a big trip with another family this summer and he was shocked to find out you have to make ADR's so far in advance.
I have offerd to be thier guide or photographer, so far he hasn't taken me up.
He says someone has to run the store.....and that's me..

Oh my goodness! Ben is hilarious! Poor little doggie.... what must he have thought...

Brooklynnsmommy I lived in Auburn, I KNOW they LOVE football! Hope the cable came back on. (picture these pom poms are orange and blue)

Stay safe for another snow day friends.
The cable did come back on about midday and everyone was able to watch Auburn win the National Championship game by kicking a last second field goal!
Old 01-11-2011, 07:54 AM   #765
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
When we form DIStown, we'll make it in southern Georgia. There won't be much snow, but enough to keep us happy. On a snow day, we'll all walk over to Jackie's house for donut muffins , let the kids build a whole bunch of snowmen, then have hot chocolate and watch Disney DVD's. What do you think?
I like that idea! There are lots of doughnut muffins still here!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: