Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
trickiwoo
Talk Disney To Me!

I Ate Too Much Food & Took Too Many Pictures! A Sept TR

I've been home for almost 2 weeks and I'm just now finally starting my TR!

Things have been pretty crazy since we got back! First, I took over 2,000 photos on my Disney trip!!! So it took me a long time to get them all off my cameras and onto my computer!

Then we got a new dog! That was definitely not planned! We've thought about getting a 2nd dog, but we weren't even planning to start looking until November! But the rescue where I volunteer at got in a pug that I absolutely fell in love with!

We named him Fernando!

He's my little sidekick and he follows me around wherever I go!

So that's what I've been up to since we came home from our trip! And now it's time to begin a TR! Woo!

Here's my PTR if anyone is interested!

Table Of Contents:

Introductions!
Camera Talk!
The Trip Begins!
We Arrive At Disney!
Downtown Disney
More Downtown Disney...
POFQ Pictures!
EPCOT: Spaceship Earth + Club Cool
EPCOT: Land + Sea
EPCOT: World Showcase
EPCOT: Night
Animal Kingdom: Kilimanjaro Safari + Yak and Yeti
Animal Kingdom: Maharajah Jungle Trek + Rafiki's Planet Watch
Kona Cafe
Magic Kingdom: TTA + Jungle Cruise + POTC

PART 2 OF MY TR IS CONTINUED AT I Ate Too Much Food & Took Too Many Pictures! A Sept TR *PART 2*!!!

<3

Last edited by trickiwoo; 08-31-2011 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Table Of Contents
Old 09-22-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
aprilisis

Earning My Ears

Yay!!! I was wondering where you were. I'm subscribing!!!
Register to remove

Old 09-22-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
trickiwoo
Talk Disney To Me!

Introductions!

Our trip consisted of:

Me (Lindsay) and The Boyfriend (Chris)

We've been dating for 4 years and this was our 2nd trip to WDW together! (Also, my 2nd trip ever!) I'm 24 years old, and he's 25. I work as a freelance photographer and dog walker/pet sitter. The Boyfriend is a computer programmer. We live in Cary, NC.

We have a wonderfully spoiled mixed-breed dog name Rosie:

She really missed us while we were gone and was super clingy right after we got back!!!

(And right after our trip we got little Fernando... as mentioned in the previous post)

I also have a dwarf hamster named Ziggy Stardust:

And I had a betta fish named Walter Fishop:

But sadly he passed away not long after we got back from Disney.

While we were at Disney, The Boyfriend's brother and mom took turns staying at our apartment and taking care of Rosie, Ziggy and Walter.

At the time I was also fostering a pair of rats named Boris and Natasha:

But while we were at WDW, another volunteer at the rescue fostered them in her house. (I didn't want to burden The Boyfriend's family with any more responsibility... especially since neither of them are really rat people...) And then just this past weekend, they were adopted!!! So yay!

Now I am currently fostering a hamster named Luke:

So as you can tell, we are big animal lovers here! And yes, the saddest part about going to WDW is leaving them all behind! But we know they're in good hands while we're gone!

(The 2nd saddest part about going to WDW is probably looking at your bank statement when you get back!)

We were at Disney World from September 5th through September 10th! And we were on free dining! It was our first time doing the dining plan, and we found it was WAY too much food for us! I can't ever imagine doing deluxe dining!

We stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter. We both absolutely fell in love with the place! I don't ever want to stay anywhere else!
Old 09-22-2010, 03:46 PM   #4
oboedm
DIS Veteran

Subbing! I am barely starting my TR today as well! I have been home for about a week and a half! I am glad I am not the only one! We really like POFQ as well-- I am glad you did too!
Old 09-22-2010, 03:58 PM   #5
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

I wanna join in on the fun!

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 09-22-2010, 10:52 PM   #6
chunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

Me too!!

Totally here for the good pictures, especially of the food!!
Old 09-23-2010, 12:00 AM   #7
TheDisneyBunch
Laughs hysterically at the word.. DUMP!!!

I am all in for a picture report. I am a photographer as well so that always gets my attention...hehe :D I loves me some good pictures.

We are just south of you...about 35 minutes.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:48 AM   #8
trickiwoo
Talk Disney To Me!

Camera Talk!

Welcome aboard everyone!!!!!!!

Since this is going to be a very photo-heavy TR (don't worry... I won't post all 2,000+ photos that I took!) I thought I'd take this time to talk about my equipment!

So while The Boyfriend didn't take nearly as many photos as I did, he did bring a long a camera as well. And I will be posting lots of his photos here in my TR. He used a Canon Powershot A570 point and shoot.

I also brought along my point and shoot... a Sony Cybershot T70.

And for the first time ever, I brought along my DSLR! In the past when I've gone to Disneyland and WDW, I've only brought along a point and shoot. I thought lugging around a heavy DSLR would be too much of a burden at the parks. But this time I thought I'd give it a go. And you know what... it wasn't as bad as I was expecting!

Anyway, I brought my Nikon D300

As for lenses... I brought my Sigma 28-300mm F3.5-6.3

I mostly just used that lens at Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios.

The rest of the time, I used my Lensbaby Composer

A Lensbaby is a 50mm special effect lens. You can bend it and move it, which results in part of the image being in sharp focus with a gradual blur around the rest of the photo.

I used the Lensbaby with the Double Glass Optic just a little... most of my photos were taken with the Lensbaby Composer and Fisheye Optic

This turns the Lensbaby into a 12mm Fisheye lens! Which was so much fun to have at Disney!

I also brought my Holga

I haven't finished off the roll yet... so I don't know how the photos turned out! If I get them developed before I finish this TR, I'll post them! But I'm not sure if that will happen or not.... I guess it depends on how long it takes me to finish this TR!

Now that you've seen what cameras were used to capture the pictures from my trip... you'll have to stick around to see the photos that were taken!

EDIT: I also took about 60 pictures with my cell phone! I'll be including a couple of those pics in my report, so I thought I'd mention my phone too! It's a Palm Pre

It has a 3 megapixel camera on it. (Not much by today's standards... but the first digital camera I ever owned was a 1 megapixel camera! Then I later upgraded to a 3 megapixel digital camera... so it's kinda weird to think that my phone's camera is the name number of megapixels as my 2nd digital camera!)

Last edited by trickiwoo; 09-27-2010 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Added cell phone!
Old 09-23-2010, 11:52 AM   #9
aprilisis

Earning My Ears

I'm sorry to hear about Walter Fishop!
If I lived closer, I would be tempted to take Boris & Natasha off your hands. I miss my rats. I just wish they lived longer.
I want you to post all 2,000 photos!!! I can't wait to see all of them!
Old 09-23-2010, 09:22 PM   #10
chunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

cool

Love all the gear you brought. I am so excited to see all the pictures!!
Old 09-23-2010, 10:47 PM   #11
TheDisneyBunch
Laughs hysterically at the word.. DUMP!!!

Your gear sounds like lots of fun!

Can't wait to see some of the results.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:13 AM   #12
oboedm
DIS Veteran

Can't wait to see all the pictures and hear about your trip! Thanks for outlining all of your equipment-- I need to get a new camera and I just might get a DSLR, especially since you said that it wasn't too awful to haul around. =)
Old 09-27-2010, 10:00 AM   #13
trickiwoo
Talk Disney To Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oboedm View Post
Can't wait to see all the pictures and hear about your trip! Thanks for outlining all of your equipment-- I need to get a new camera and I just might get a DSLR, especially since you said that it wasn't too awful to haul around. =)

If you're worried about the weight, Nikon has some really small DSLRs! The D40, D40x and D60 all weigh like half as much as my DSLR! And the D3000 and D5000 are just slightly heavier than the D40/D40x/D60. Plus they're all pretty affordable!
Old 09-27-2010, 02:18 PM   #14
trickiwoo
Talk Disney To Me!

The Trip Begins!

So the night before we were leaving for our trip, I was overnight sitting for some cats. Since our flight didn't leave until 1pm I didn't think this would be a problem when I took on the job. However, the owners of the cats were in Nova Scotia. And there was a chance Tropical Storm Earl would hit Nova Scotia the day they were scheduled to fly home! So they were worried they'd be stuck in Canada at least 1 more day and if so, they'd need a sitter at least 1 more day. Problem was... I was leaving for Florida the same day they were scheduled to fly home!

So the day before our trip, I contacted the agency I work for and they found a back-up sitter that would be "on-call" in case the clients couldn't make it home as scheduled.

But... the agency's dispatcher was out of town that weekend, so it would have to be my job to keep in contact with both the clients and the on-call sitter until the clients knew if they could go home or not.

This did add quite a bit of extra stress to my travel plans... but it could have been a lot worse! At least Earl wasn't affecting my plans to go to Disney!

So Sunday morning I woke up around 7 am! I got up, got dressed, fed the cats, gave the cats their medicine, packed up all my stuff and drove home! When I got home, I was surprised to see that The Boyfriend was already awake and up and about! I expected he'd be sound asleep! I guess he was just as excited as I was to go to WDW!

We ate a yummy Cinnabon breakfast

My suitcase was pretty much entirely packed... I just had to pack whatever was in my overnight bag that I took cat sitting with me! (Stuff like my hairbrush, deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, cell phone charger, etc.) After I was done packing, I double, triple and quadruple checked to make sure I had everything for my trip!

At this point we were way ahead of schedule! So The Boyfriend said, "Let's just hurry up and get to the airport as early as we can!" So we said goodbye to Rosie, Ziggy and Walter and gave Rosie an extra special bone so she'd have something to do while we were gone! Then we took our suitcases down the three flights of stairs to our apartment and loaded them up in the trunk of my car!

My parents live pretty close to the airport so they were going to give us a ride. And I was just going to leave my car at their house while we were gone. My parents both have old cars that are falling apart, so they appreciated being able to use my car for the week! So we drove to my parents' house and we all loaded up in my car and headed to the airport!

We pulled up at the terminal and The Boyfriend and I got our bags out of the trunk, said goodbye to my parents and headed to check-in! We checked our bags and got our boarding passes! We were in Boarding Group B! Then we headed to security. It was quick and easy and we didn't have any problems.

We were very early and had plenty of time to kill. So we walked around checking out the shops in our terminal. Then we decided to get some lunch!

We went to Godfather's pizza. I got the veggie pizza.

I don't remember what kind of pizza The Boyfriend got. Maybe pepperoni and sausage? I didn't take a picture of it because I decided not to bother him by taking pictures of his food until we were at Disney!

Then we went to our gate and sat down until it was time for our flight. I decided to text my clients to check in with them about their current situation. They said they were at the airport and they'd know by 4pm if they could get a flight home that night or not.

The Boyfriend and I played The Game Of Life on his iPod Touch to pass the time. Awhile later I heard from my clients. They were able to get a flight and they'd be home around 8pm! Hooray! So I contacted the back-up sitter to let her know they were going home and she didn't need to sit that night! I was so relieved when that whole situation was over! Now it was time to take work completely off my mind and just sit back and enjoy my vacation!

It wasn't long before they started boarding our plane! After people with disabilities, families and Group A boarded, it was time for Group B to line up! This was my first time flying Southwest so the system was totally new to me! The line was split up in two parts... the first part was for passengers assigned to numbers 1-30 and the 2nd part was for passengers assigned to numbers 31-60. Of course The Boyfriend was number 30 and I was 31! So we had to separate and get in 2 separate lines!

But we weren't in line long and soon we were on the plane together looking for a seat! We found an empty row and The Boyfriend gave me the window seat! Yay!

Then there was lots of sitting around until it was time to take off. Thank goodness for SkyMall!

The Boyfriend read the Southwest magazine.

Then finally we were up in the air!

The flight wasn't long at all. And it was a direct flight which was pretty awesome! I hadn't been on a direct flight anywhere since I was a baby! So this was basically a first for me!

During the flight I listened to ABBA on my iPod and read SkyMall. I did pull my camera out for a bit and took some pictures out the window using my Lensbaby.

When the flight attendants came around, I got a Sprite and some pretzels!

Then before we knew it, the plane started to descend and we were almost in Orlando! I loved looking out the window over Florida and seeing all the pools in everyone's backyards!

Pretty soon we were on the ground! Our flight was right on time!

We got off the plane and road the tram to the main part of the airport! Then we decided to stop by the Disney store at the airport! We looked around for a bit, then made our way to the DME Welcome Center!
Old 10-04-2010, 07:05 PM   #15
pookersmom
Mouseketeer

I'm a firm believer that one can never take too many photos. Especially of Cinnabons.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: