Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2010, 10:30 AM   #1
luvmygrlz3
Mouseketeer

MAW daughter with Rett Syndrome going to WDW!

We are still very early in our planning, but we did receive the phone call that MAW did approve our trip for my DD17! We have 2 other DD (8 &4). This is going to be the absolute BEST trip our family could ever take. I am so excited!

We are still waiting on the Dr.'s "ok" so we can set our dates, so the dates are still pending. Any suggestions on good dates to go where the crowds are low? Our Rep suggested Jan. or Feb. I would agree but I'm nervous because we will not have any spending money for ourselves until our tax return at the end of Feb. early Mar. HELP!

Shelby (mom)

ETA:
First off I want to apologize for the delay in this PTR...I have had a lot of unforeseen circumstances come up...but I am back!!!! OK, We finally have all of the paperwork completed and received...now I am just awaiting dates!!! I am hoping the dates will be in either February or March. I am soooo excited and I just can't hide it!

Now, let me finish this PTR and tell you all a little about our family...

The crew:

I am 35 yrs YOUNG, currently working part time as a server and in College part time as well. I met my wonderful husband of 7 years, Travis, 15 years ago at our place of business and we fell completely in love. I never thought I would find someone to love and care for Khelsey and I like I felt we both deserved. Khelsey was only 2 years old at the time and her diagnosis was still unknown. Her Neurologist suspected Rett Syndrome when her speech other milestones totally regressed. At the time there was no genetic testing to be sure of the actual diagnosis. When I was pregnant with my 2nd daughter (Khelsey was 8), she started having seizures in her sleep...they were Grand Mal seizures and we could not get them to stop. After hours at the hospital and many drugs later, she was diagnosed with Epilepsy. The neurologist on call at the Children's Hospital asked me if I wanted to get genetic testing of Khelsey to see if she for SURE had Rett Syndrome. I had NO idea the genetic testing was now available! Of course I agreed and within 2 weeks her results came back positive. Rett Syndrome is a very interesting disorder, here's a link if anyone is interested... http://rettsyndrome.org/ She seems to have a milder form of Rett. She can walk, eat with full assistance (no feeding tube), smile, laugh, cry, etc. She cannot talk nor is she potty trained. She is mentally (according to testing) of a 6 month old with some higher ranges in different areas. Because of her inabilities to communicate, she tests much lower than what I think she knows.

She is so very special to our family. I would not be the person I am today if I had not had her. I call her my Silent Angel...She may not be able to talk, but her eyes can tell you a thousand words. She loves her little sisters (ages 8 & 4) and absolutely adores animals. She LOVES LOVES LOVES Disney EVERYTHING as well as Barney & Friends. That silly purple dinosaur has been a part of our lives for 15 years...I am really tired of him but whatever makes her happy makes me happy. As we await our dates for ever family trip (meaning we have never been anywhere together with just the 5 of us) and our VERY first trip to Disney...I would LOVE to hear all tips you guys may have! I look forward to getting to know each and every one of you!

Last edited by luvmygrlz3; 12-22-2010 at 06:44 PM.
luvmygrlz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
billwendy
DIS Veteran

HI!!

That is so awesome you are going on a trip!!!! Woo Hoo!! you will all have so much fun!

If you are thinking about dining reservations, I think you should make the reservations as soon as you can. When we found out the dates for our trip, we didnt get the airline info until almost the week before we went!!!

I would definately plan some nights to be in the park, the fireworks and night time shows like Fantasmic and Illuminations are really cool!!!

Traumatic Brain Injury 2/5 & 9/6/2013
March is TBI Awareness Month!
Life changes in an instant! Shine On!
billwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
*Toadstool*
Smocking Snow White

Congrats on getting approved for the trip. Sounds like you have a wonderfully special family.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
ms_mckenna
DIS Veteran

Oh I am so glad you were blessed with a Wish trip! I hope the dates work out perfect for you guys! So you have 3 princesses ? What a blessing! I am sure they are going to enjoy it!
I can't wait to hear more about your trip!
Old 01-01-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
bunny213
DIS Veteran

so excited for you

I am so excited for you..I know you will all have a very special time..
we'll be thinking about you so keep us posted...
bunny213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:53 PM   #6
AlternateEgo
Missing the House of the Mouse

Congrats on your trip! Sounds like your family deserves your trip and Khelsey is going to love meeting the characters!

Next trip TBD - thinking 11-2015 with

Summer '92 Offsite , 9 '07 ASMu FDDP , 9 '09 CSR FDDP-Honeymoon 9 '11 POR FDDP
AlternateEgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #7
Loodlow
Mouseketeer

You must be getting so excited! If you are like me, planning is (almost) half the fun! We would love to see some pictures, and if you have any specific questions, those are easier to answer. Read some of the other wish trip reports, and you will learn a ton. I am a lurker, a pediatric nurse who just happens to love Disney! I have referred tons of my patients for wishes, but have never been on one, at least not yet. Subscibing to your thread to follow along!

Libby
Loodlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #8
jessica52877
DIS Veteran

What a sweet husband! Sounds like a perfect fit for you and Khelsey! Can't wait to hear more about the planning. Sometimes the planning is the best part!

Ebay ID - Jessica52877
jessica52877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #9
cogero
DIS Veteran

With 3 Girls once you get your dates try to get a meal with the Princesses. We have a tradition of going to Akerhaus every trip.

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Christmas & My Happy Place Equals Perfection. - A Dec 2011 PTR
cogero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:43 PM   #10
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogero View Post
With 3 Girls once you get your dates try to get a meal with the Princesses. We have a tradition of going to Akerhaus every trip.
I agree. Akerhaus is wonderful.

Glad to hear your DD is getting a Wish trip. If you have an questions about touring WDW with disABILITIES, come on over to the disABILITIES Board. There is lots of information in the disABILITIES FAQs thread (post in my signature), but we welcome questions.

One of the young ladies who is in my DD's wheelchair dance class has Rett and there was another who used to be in the dance class who also has Rett. Both enjoyed the music and the movement.

I know you said your DD does walk, but many young ladies with Rett don't walk well enough for the distance at WDW, so you will want to look at a wheelchair. A wheelchair can also provide sort of a safe haven for someone who is becoming a little overwhelmed by all the stimulation.

Have a great trip.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #11
aboveH20
DIS Veteran

I enjoyed reading your PTR. Like seeing snow for the first times, I've always thought going to Disney for the first time is such a special event you wish you could be a first-timer over and over again. Immerse yourself in the planning -- to me it's half the fun!

I got a kick out of your comment about Barney - that after 15 years he's overstayed his welcome. Barney was a little past my sons' ages, but I'm trying to imagine if we'd had Ghostbusters or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for years and years. They do get old after a while don't they.

Welcome aboard! I look forward to reading more.

Disneyland Disney World Disneyland Paris Disney Cruise Aulani Next?
aboveH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:09 PM   #12
Granna4679
DIS Veteran

I am following along. So happy to hear you are getting a wish trip. It will be so much fun for all of you. Sounds like Khelsey is a remarkable child. I can only imagine how special she is to your family. And it sounds like you found a gem of a husband too! Good luck with the planning....and I second everyone else's suggestion for Akerhaus. It is the best place to see all of the princesses.

I would love to see pictures of your family if you want to share some.
(me)(DH)
Granna4679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:54 AM   #13
hollie1974
Mouseketeer

Subbing!

Hope you get the dates that you want!

hollie1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:41 AM   #14
VBAndrea
DIS Veteran

Congrats on your MAW trip! If Khelsey is an animal lover I would see if you can do anything special at AK. My kids loved the petting area with the goats and sheep and the special talks on animals. I think Khelsey would respond perfectly to that.

And I agree with all -- Akershus is a great place to meet the Princesses. Have a wonderful trip!

DH DS 11 DD 9

VBAndrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:26 AM   #15
babynala
DIS Veteran

Congrats on Khelsey being granted her wish. I know you will all have a great time. Can't wait to hear more about your trip as it gets planned out. Enjoy the palnning and don't worry if your plans change before or during your trip, everything works out in the end!

babynala is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: