Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2011, 08:05 PM   #136
SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
Great update!

I always have to start my Epcot mornings with Soarin FP's too, but usually we will just get in the stand by line and ride it right after we get our FP's, if it's early enough in the morning, the line is short enough! I can't get enough Soarin!

LOL you guys are just like Brandon and I with Mission Space now! Except I'm not sure if I can go on the orange side alone, I might be too nervous!

I always want to do Ellen's Energy Adventure, but I never want to commit 45 minutes to it, so we end up skipping it! Someday I hope we will have time to fit it in! I have a feeling I will have the same reaction as you, glad to see it once, but don't really have to do it again!
I might have to try a first of the morning ride on Soarin' - that seems like the perfect way to start off the day. Hopefully if we did that TT wouldn't be too crowded be the time we made it over there.

I think EEA is the perfect thing to do when you're waiting for the FP window to open up. I never want to head over to the Land before it's time because it's such a hike over there. The 45 minutes goes by really quickly, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
You started your Epcot morning the same way that I start mine too! It's such a good way to get a bunch of things done early.

I like Universe of Energy when I need to relax for a while. It's a great way to escape heat/cold, etc.
Our strategy works every time! Sometimes I think it would be nice to mix it up a bit and try something different, but then I worry that we'll end up regretting it if we have to wait in long lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
Great update. Was Akershus really $90 for two for breakfast?? We always use the DDP, so I'm blind to prices, but that seems excessive, even by Disney standards!!
Universe of Energy is great! Different and a nice break off your feet! I personally love the pre-show-- still laugh every time.
Yeah, it ended up being about $90 with taxes and tip added in. I think just the price of the meal is a little over $30/person. I'm not sure if we had holiday pricing since it was right after Thanksgiving. It's definitely a better deal on the DDP, though!
Old 01-30-2011, 09:22 PM   #137
DisneyCrafter
DIS Veteran

Oh how I love Soarin'! I wish DH and I lived driving distance away from WDW. Well-maybe I don't, I would give in to temptation way too much!

I'm not sure how I feel about character meals anymore. With children, I would hands down book them. However, I'm always worried that the characters are thinking "what are two adults doing in WDW alone?" haha

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2011, 10:32 PM   #138
SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCrafter View Post
Oh how I love Soarin'! I wish DH and I lived driving distance away from WDW. Well-maybe I don't, I would give in to temptation way too much!

I'm not sure how I feel about character meals anymore. With children, I would hands down book them. However, I'm always worried that the characters are thinking "what are two adults doing in WDW alone?" haha
I think they like the adult interaction! At least the one's who can actually talk to you! We always have a great time with the princesses. If I had to recommend one character meal for adults that would be it.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:25 PM   #139
SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE
DIS Veteran

DAY 3 – Pt. 3

After scoring our two TT Fastpasses for later in the day, it was finally time to make our way over to our favorite part of Epcot: The Land!

On the way there, these guys were performing! We had never seen them before, so of course we had to stop and watch.

They were so energetic and fun! I’m really glad that we stopped.

As I mentioned, there is just something special about the Land! It might be the bright, cheerful atmosphere and that certain smell that it has that makes me so happy.

It also has two of our favorite attractions: Soarin and Living with the Land! First up was Soarin’ of course! It was finally time to use our FP’s that Miguel had gotten earlier that morning and we were so excited. We just can’t get enough of the ride!

Our flight was wonderful as always. It was a little sad to know that that would be our only flight though – normally we like to do Soarin’ at least twice on each Epcot day.

Another thing we love about The Land is Sunshine Seasons! I think it is because of how we schedule getting the FP’s for Soarin’ in the morning, but we always end up eating lunch at SS. I love that there is tons of seating and a wide variety of choices that at least seem to be healthier than at some of the other CS places.

Miguel went with his usual roasted chicken. He gets this every time we go to SS and it is always good! This time, we were a little disappointed to find that you only get one side with the chicken now, since you used to get two. They also dumped some strange bean salsa on top of the chicken before Miguel could even tell them not too. He wasn’t crazy about it, but he still enjoyed the dish as a whole.

I decided to go with the Ruben panini with potato salad. This had a great flavor, but unfortunately the meat was pretty tough, so it was almost impossible to eat it as a sandwich because, for lack of a better term, my teeth couldn’t “cut” the meat. I probably wouldn’t order this again, but I wasn’t necessarily disappointed in it, either.

After lunch, we walked around the corner for Living with the Land! No matter how many times we go on this, it never gets old! I think we would really enjoy the Behind the Seeds tour.

Finally, it was time to explore World Showcase! Now if you have read along with my previous TR and my current PTR, then you know that we always tend to bypass WS in favor of FW. I hate this, because I really think we would love WS. We’ve explored some, but not near enough! Unfortuantley, this trip was no different!

We did, however, make it to Mexico! We always spend some time here since it’s the first country and it’s Miguel’s “home”! We had fun exploring the new shop that they had outside. Miguel found a lot of things that we wanted to buy (mostly soccer stuff) but the prices were ridiculous, so we left empty handed.

Next up was Norway, were we decided to experience yet another first and try out Maelstrom.

Believe it or not, but this was one of the longest waits we had during our trip! I would say we waited about 20 minutes before boarding our boat. We enjoyed Maelstrom, but not as much as I thought we would since it is a FP attraction. We would probably ride again if the line was short and we were in the area.

After our Norweigean adventure, we decided to stop in at the bakery for a sweet snack! I wanted to continue my trend of trying famous DIS things, so we decided to get both a school bread and a cloudberry horn to share.

Surprisingly, I liked the school bread much better than the cloudberry horn. I know the school bread is adored here, but I don’t like coconut so I thought I wouldn’t enjoy it. It was so tasty though! I couldn’t finish it – it’s definitely a large snack!

Miguel preferred the cloudberry horn, which I liked as well, but probably not enough to have another.

By this point, it was getting close to 3:00 and we wanted to get back to POR to rest up for our evening. On the way back to the resort, I started to get a crazy idea…
Old 02-06-2011, 07:50 AM   #140
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

Great update! I love the whole Land area too, Soarin is one of my favorites, and Living with the Land is so much fun! I don't know why we never seem to eat at Sunshine Seasons, they have so much variety and we always skip it!

I love Maelstrom, it's another favorite, but I do think it's weird it's an FP attraction...you would think it would be a little more thrilling than that! And whenever I'm there, the FP machines are always closed, so do they even use them?

That school bread looks so good, I have to try it one trip, I always want to but whenever I'm around Norway, I'm just not hungry!

NEW December 2013 TR, In Progress!

My TR's/PTR's~2/13 TR~11/12 TR!~11/12 PTR!~5/12 TR!~5/12 PTR!~12/11 TR!~10/11 TR!~10/11 PTR!~11/10 TR!~11/10 PTR!~Disneymoon TR 5/10!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Old 02-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #141
klacey1
DIS Veteran

We love Maelstrom, but never understood why it's a FastPass attraction! Hmm, I wonder what your crazy idea leaving Epcot was!

September 2013: PTR, TR, Dining Report
August 2011: PTR, TR, Dining Report
Old 02-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #142
Mrs T 2009
DIS Veteran

Love maelstrom! Want to try out the bakery when we go this fall! I love the Land too! Living with the land is so neat! first time on it this past trip and loved it. would definitely love to do it every trip! And gotta love soarin'!!!!

ps i have been lazy about my TR and need to update it and get it done soon!!!!! hoping to this weekend!!!
Sept 2009- CSR/ Oct 2010- CSR&CBR/ May 2011-POFQ/ Sept 2011- Bonnet Creek/ Oct 2012- POP!/ April 2013- day trip/ Oct 2013- Disneyland/July 2014-OKW/ Oct 2014- AoA&AKLV/ Jan 2015- Sarasota&GFV/June 2015- AKLV

Old 02-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #143
SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
Great update! I love the whole Land area too, Soarin is one of my favorites, and Living with the Land is so much fun! I don't know why we never seem to eat at Sunshine Seasons, they have so much variety and we always skip it!

I love Maelstrom, it's another favorite, but I do think it's weird it's an FP attraction...you would think it would be a little more thrilling than that! And whenever I'm there, the FP machines are always closed, so do they even use them?

That school bread looks so good, I have to try it one trip, I always want to but whenever I'm around Norway, I'm just not hungry!
Definitely give SS at try - it's a great value for a CS credit if you're doing the DDP, I think. It's kind of a nice departure from the normal CS stuff.

I think that was my problem with Maelstrom - I figured that being a FP attraction, there would have been a little more to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
We love Maelstrom, but never understood why it's a FastPass attraction! Hmm, I wonder what your crazy idea leaving Epcot was!
I don't understand it either. It kind of led me to believe the attraction was something it wasn't. Oh well, at least we were able to do something we had never done before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs T 2009 View Post
Love maelstrom! Want to try out the bakery when we go this fall! I love the Land too! Living with the land is so neat! first time on it this past trip and loved it. would definitely love to do it every trip! And gotta love soarin'!!!!

ps i have been lazy about my TR and need to update it and get it done soon!!!!! hoping to this weekend!!!
The little Norway bakery is a great stop! Not only were the pastries good, but the little seating area was so cute and peaceful. We were expecting to just grab it and go but it looked so relaxing we thought, why not?
Old 02-19-2011, 09:29 AM   #144
SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone! Sorry it's been so long since my last update! For some reason my TR was moved to the completed thread, so I've been unable to update. Thankfully, it's finally been moved back so now I can continue on with the TR and hopefully get it wrapped up soon!

DAY 3 – Pt. 4

When Miguel and I returned to POR that afternoon, we were both exhausted. All I wanted to do was relax around the resort and have a free evening. The problem with this though, was that we had a 6:00 ADR at O’Hana. Believe it or not, I seriously thought about canceling. Miguel said it was ok with him, if that’s what I wanted to do. Even though O’Hana is a favorite of ours, and we’ve been dying to eat there again since January, the thought of just lounging at POR and just grabbing something from Riverside Mill whenever we felt like it seemed so appealing.

We both laid down for a nap, and Miguel quickly feel asleep. I knew that in order to make it to O’Hana, we would need to leave POR around 5:30. I managed to sleep some too, but woke up right on time to make the reservation. As much as I wanted to just relax, I knew we would regret missing dinner at O’Hana and having the chance to explore the Poly!

I woke up Miguel who quickly got ready and we were on our way! We were happy to use our TiW card to get free valet parking at the Poly – definitely a perk of the card!

We had probably a 10 minute wait before we were led to our table. Once again, we got lucky and had a wonderful seat right by the window. We could see the castle glowing in the distance!

Our first order of business was to order some Lapu Lapus! We first tried these out in January and Miguel could not wait to get “the pineapple drink” again.

Quickly, the massive amounts of food started to arrive!

Everything was just as delicious as we had remembered, and our “cousin” (the waitress) was super friendly.

After dinner, we just had to explore the Poly since we’ll be staying there on our honeymoon! It is such a beautiful resort! When we visited in January, I noticed that this resort had a special “feel” to us – sort of undescribeable, but I just knew that it was special, which is why we chose it as our honeymoon home! I was a little worried that maybe that feeling was a one-time thing and that our second visit to the Poly wouldn’t be the same, but of course I had nothing to worry about! I feel even more in love with the resort! We can’t wait to stay here!

We spent lots of time exploring the pool, since I know we’ll be spending a lot of time relaxing there on the honeymoon.

We wandered around the grounds for a while until we finally decided it was time to go. In the end, I’m so happy that we didn’t end up canceling the ADR – it was a wonderful night!
Old 02-19-2011, 09:48 AM   #145
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

yay.. your TR got moved back!

lovely update.. great photos of 'Ohana food.. I am even more excited for our first meal there during honeymoon! - and one of those pinapple drinks hehe.

Emma x
Old 02-19-2011, 01:21 PM   #146
SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybarbie View Post
yay.. your TR got moved back!

lovely update.. great photos of 'Ohana food.. I am even more excited for our first meal there during honeymoon! - and one of those pinapple drinks hehe.

Emma x
I'm so happy to be able to update again! You're going to love 'Ohana! It's such a fun restaurant and the food is wonderful! The Lapu Lapus aren't bad either!
Old 02-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #147
DisneyCrafter
DIS Veteran

Phew! I'm so glad that you didn't cancel your Ohana reservation!!! I would have been sad for you. However, I also would have bowed down to you if you did end up canceling because I know what it feels like to be exhausted in WDW (I'm sure we all do.) and it's so hard to stop and tell yourself to RELAX, the rides and restaurants aren't going anywhere and will be there next time.

I could tell just by your smiles that Soarin' is a favorite.

Can't wait to read more!

Old 02-19-2011, 01:53 PM   #148
SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCrafter View Post
Phew! I'm so glad that you didn't cancel your Ohana reservation!!! I would have been sad for you. However, I also would have bowed down to you if you did end up canceling because I know what it feels like to be exhausted in WDW (I'm sure we all do.) and it's so hard to stop and tell yourself to RELAX, the rides and restaurants aren't going anywhere and will be there next time.

I could tell just by your smiles that Soarin' is a favorite.

Can't wait to read more!
I would have been really sad, too. I think we made the right choice! But you're right - it's so hard to reason with ourselves that sometimes relaxation is more important than this attraction or that ADR.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:16 PM   #149
pjennings
Mouseketeer

glad you are back, We LOVE Ohana as well
Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:19 PM   #150
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

Yay, glad your TR got moved back to where it should be!

Great update! My next update is going to be about the Poly and Ohana too, I love it there!

NEW December 2013 TR, In Progress!

My TR's/PTR's~2/13 TR~11/12 TR!~11/12 PTR!~5/12 TR!~5/12 PTR!~12/11 TR!~10/11 TR!~10/11 PTR!~11/10 TR!~11/10 PTR!~Disneymoon TR 5/10!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: