Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2011, 04:18 PM   #91
Daisy Duke
Mouseketeer

Your post and pictures make me want to spend more time at the Seas next time! We watched the dolphins for a while, but the manatees weren't in and I didn't see any seahorses and I have no idea where that game is! Usually we hit the ride and then Crush and then we move on (did you do Crush?! it's a must-do for us since it's a different experience every time!). Honestly though, the ride is not my favorite. I used to like the old ride and I wish the ride was more about the real seas and less about the Nemo story, but I'm probably in the minority on that. I have to say though, the queue for that ride is definitely one of the best! I always find it ironic that it has such a great queue and never any line, lol!

Speaking of Mexican food, do you go to Plaza Azteca in the Hampton Roads area? That is our favorite Mexican place of all time!!! We really miss it and it's a must-do whenever we are down in that area for a visit!
Old 01-13-2011, 06:48 PM   #92
kschafer
DIS Veteran

I didn't realize you had never done Soarin! So sorry it wasn't a good experience. I get vertigo too but I can usually get to the last couple scenes before it starts to hit so I can still really enjoy it. What a bummer for you!

I'm thinking you need to take your job experience to Disney! What fun would that be!!

Waiting...patiently...waiting...patiently....waiting...NOT SO PATIENTLY!!

June 2008, WDW with the entire family, May 2010, Girls only...woohoo!
June 2011, Two week blowout, December 2013, Christmas with the Mouse
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2011, 08:14 PM   #93
Roxychica7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjolt View Post
Does that last sentence mean what I think it means LOL!! Will we have a proposal soon cuz I'm dying here Jess LOL!!!! I want to squeal in delight with you!!!!!

Another wonderful update! Those nachos do look yummy!
Yes yes Jen, it does mean what you think it means!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Those nachos look seriously good!!!

Oh, Jess, I am so sorry you didn't enjoy Soarin'.

Thank goodness you were able to recuperate at the Seas. So much fun, and of course you achieved expert level -- I wouldn't expect anything less.
They were SO good. Although, Disney does have a habit of changing their menu often so who knows if I'll ever see them again! Soarin...ah, at least I tried it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
I think you just like to torture us!!
I promise I'm not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Duke View Post
Your post and pictures make me want to spend more time at the Seas next time! We watched the dolphins for a while, but the manatees weren't in and I didn't see any seahorses and I have no idea where that game is! Usually we hit the ride and then Crush and then we move on (did you do Crush?! it's a must-do for us since it's a different experience every time!). Honestly though, the ride is not my favorite. I used to like the old ride and I wish the ride was more about the real seas and less about the Nemo story, but I'm probably in the minority on that. I have to say though, the queue for that ride is definitely one of the best! I always find it ironic that it has such a great queue and never any line, lol!

Speaking of Mexican food, do you go to Plaza Azteca in the Hampton Roads area? That is our favorite Mexican place of all time!!! We really miss it and it's a must-do whenever we are down in that area for a visit!
As biologists, we say the same thing about The Seas! I totally agree, the ride takes away from the aquarium SO much. That's why if we do the ride, we do it, if not it's no big deal, we just exit the ride and head off to the aquariums! All the tanks (eel, corals, lionfish, seahorses) are on the 1st floor, then the good view of the aquarium is on the top floor, plus you can see the manatees and dolphins, then it another room they have stingrays, and coral that they're propagating and a whole tank of baby clown fish...we love exploring inside!

PLAZA!! We just went there last saturday!! Oh dear lord do we love it..we actually have one right behind our house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschafer View Post
I didn't realize you had never done Soarin! So sorry it wasn't a good experience. I get vertigo too but I can usually get to the last couple scenes before it starts to hit so I can still really enjoy it. What a bummer for you!

I'm thinking you need to take your job experience to Disney! What fun would that be!!

Waiting...patiently...waiting...patiently....waiting...NOT SO PATIENTLY!!
Trust me, I've looked into the Living Seas before. Disney has things called Internships for College undergrads, but then they have Advanced internships for grad students and one of them is an Aquarist at the Living Seas. I have emailed the people several times, but as it is Disney and essentially a dream job, the coordinator told me a few years back, she only saw that position open up once in the last 12 years. So, I guess it's one of those, you gotta be at the right place at the right time

Patience is a virtue Katie
Jess (Me)-29 Blake (DF)-28 Our Italian Greyhound and our salt water tank
WHY did you do it? 2010
Upcoming Trip: Pop Century!
Old 01-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #94
oOJulieOo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
I think you just like to torture us!!
Old 01-14-2011, 12:45 AM   #95
MegansMom
Always Ready to Go Back with my "Minnie" Megan Mouse!

I love every update...you all had such a nice day, and to not have a clue the entire day what was in store for you.....EEK!!! I just get all excited thinking about it! Did Blake seem any different to you at all that morning? Was acting nervous or any more excited?!?!? The day Tom proposed, he was hilarious....I don't think he could have waited one more second to pop the question....it is a funny story. SO looking forward to hearing your story!!!

June 2012 PTR--click here! July 2011 PTR-- click here! September 2009 PTR/TR --click here!June 2008 PTR/TR---click here!
Past Trips: 1978:Offsite 1980:Offsite 1982: Poly 1987: Poly 1992:Dixie Landings May 2001:Offsite Sep 2006: BWV Nov 2007:CSR/SSR June 2008: OKW Sep 2009: POFQ July 2011: AKV June 2012: OKW!!!
DH (36) ME (35) DD(8)
Old 01-15-2011, 08:43 AM   #96
redsox721
Mouseketeer

Great update. Your pictures are wonderful. Can't wait to hear about the proposal. Sounds like you were completely surprised.

Sorry about Soarin but I know the feeling. My DH and I went to Disneyland and were about to ride Soarin. I had a panic attack and started screaming for them to let me off the ride immediately. Luckily the ride hadn't started but people were looking at me like I was a crazy lady. They let me off and I never attempted it again.
WDW (stays of 4 days and longer--to many short visits to list) 1982---offsite (me & my folks), 1994---Poly (first family visit), 1997---Poly, 1999---Poly, 2000---offsite, 2002---Poly, 2004---POR, 2006---Pop, 2007---Pop, 2008---offsite (quick visit after a wonderful cruise)
Disneyland May 2009 Candy Cane Inn

Me(54) DH(56) DS(28) DD(26) DSIL(27)
Old 01-17-2011, 06:05 PM   #97
Roxychica7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oOJulieOo View Post
Oh goodness, not you too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegansMom View Post
I love every update...you all had such a nice day, and to not have a clue the entire day what was in store for you.....EEK!!! I just get all excited thinking about it! Did Blake seem any different to you at all that morning? Was acting nervous or any more excited?!?!? The day Tom proposed, he was hilarious....I don't think he could have waited one more second to pop the question....it is a funny story. SO looking forward to hearing your story!!!
Thank you Jen! You are too sweet!! Blake didn't seem weird until during our meal before the proposal, he was just "off"

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox721 View Post
Great update. Your pictures are wonderful. Can't wait to hear about the proposal. Sounds like you were completely surprised.

Sorry about Soarin but I know the feeling. My DH and I went to Disneyland and were about to ride Soarin. I had a panic attack and started screaming for them to let me off the ride immediately. Luckily the ride hadn't started but people were looking at me like I was a crazy lady. They let me off and I never attempted it again.
I was surprised, it was just an awesome day!
I am the same way with rides! Last year, I tried to do Star Tours again (I used to do it all the time when I was little), and completely freaked out when the seatbelt "locked" and I got the CM's attention and hauled butt out of the ride before we took off, leaving poor Blake in his seat. I don't know what it is! As I've gotten a little older, I am horrible with things like that! At least you're not alone!
WHY did you do it? 2010
Old 01-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #98
reelmom
If I don't get tagged, I am gonna hold my breath until I am blue!
Didn't work. The tag turned blue instead!

Can't wait to read the next update.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #99
Roxychica7
DIS Veteran

So the long awaited update is here! Forgive me guys, for my delay, BUT…I have awesome news….

I AM DONE MY MASTER’S PROJECT!!!!

This thing has been on my shoulder for 2 years, and now finally, it is done. I spent the weekend and part of last week, going back and forth with my 2 advisors fixing their comments, over and over again, and I finally have received acceptance from both of them.
On Sunday, we printed it out…42 pages total, we needed 3 copies, so 126 pages, packed them all up and since Blake has to go BACK to D.C. again for work for ANOTHER week, he took it with him and is going to hand deliver it tomorrow! YAY!!

Now it’s set, graduation for my Master’s is May 21st. I am paperless finally!!

And with that…on with the show!

When we left off, we had just had a GREAT time at the Living Seas. Couldn’t have been more “us.” I looked at Blake, and said, you ready to head over? He was…we were both getting hungry.
We already had our plan picked out……

Beaches and Cream!!!

On the way past France and to the exit, (C’s famous exit!) a voice goes, “Oh…excuse me!” and I turn my head and it’s Alice!!

I love how they stay in character, even until the very end! She was asking everyone if they has seen the white rabbit and getting a lot of smiles, because we weren’t paying attention to who it was!

A quick walk across the bridge and we had made it to the other side. Blake and I love it here. A few pictures of the beautiful day at the Beach Club.

And we found it! Beaches and Cream.

I don’t drink a lot of soda, maybe 1 every few weeks, but I do really enjoy Disney’s vanilla coke. I think it’s because they make them the old fashion way with the flavored syrups. I don’t know, but I had to get one!

Blake joined in too.

We weren’t really hungry, so we decided to split something. Our waitress was awesome. We ordered the roast beef sandwich without cheese, and she gave us our own portion of beef dip and fruit and only charged us for one soda.

She definitely got a big tip with that.

While we were there, 2 kitchen sinks came out. We’ve been here before when they have been ordered, but just in case you haven’t, there’s lights that go off in the diner and they announce that someone has ordered it and how many scoops of ice creams and toppings there are on it (including an entire can of whipped cream!). I had to get a picture of course.

And if this one doesn’t represent Disney happiness, I don’t know what does. The picture says it all!
WHY did you do it? 2010
Old 01-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #100
Roxychica7
DIS Veteran

Continued from last post.

I love this place because they have dairy free ice cream and when you order it, they know what you’re talking about! So, I ordered a single scoop of vanilla tofutti with peanut butter sauce. Anyone that knows me..I LOVE peanut butter. It is VERY hard to find places that 1) Offer dairy fee ice cream and 2) have the liquid peanut butter as a topping. Love it!

Blake, strangely did not order ice cream. He was kind of in la-la land. But I figured he was tired.

So I enjoyed my ice cream! Yum!

And when we were full, we slowly walked back down the sidewalk at Beach Club. I asked him if he wanted to sit in the swing on the beach and watch the sun go down, as we were right at the point where the sun was about the set. He said no, he wanted to walk on the other side. Ok.

Now we reach the spot in between Boardwalk and Beach Club, where it’s kind of a dock, I think it’s where some of the wedding pavilions go on and I set up and take a few pictures of the sun and the great scenery.

Blake is spinning in a circle at this point. He says, “I want to get your picture by the water” so here’s one

And another

You can tell by my stance I’m getting a little annoyed. I wanted to sit down and watch the sun set, plus I was FULL and didn’t feel like taking a picture.

I looked around and there was a woman and a man standing next to us talking. So it was just us 4. Blake is insistent on getting a picture of us with the sun setting, and I say, "Well ask that guy then! He's right there!" He goes over and asks, meanwhile now I'm spinning around, and mutter to him, "You're being kind of weird"

He hands the camera to the guy after asking if he can take our picture. What I didn’t know was instead of having it set to take a picture, Blake had it set to take a video, and hands it to the man after he pushes "record"

(I apologize for it being in 2 videos) But here is the result.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfZztK-HiRI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udQ_jjo3v30

And as you know, I said yes

Then I get nervous and have to call my dad. Funniest conversation ever. Blake says, he already knows, I asked him, but still…me and dad are like buddies, like son and dad buddies, stuff like weddings and kids, that is weird to us.
But I call him up and he said “So…” I said “So what..” He said “Something happen?” I said “You know what happened” He said “What happened?” I said “I got one of them there rings” Omg..I’m ridiculous

But I talked to mom and dad on the phone, Blake called his mom, sister, etc. Here’s a picture of me on the phone.

Next, while we're close, we walked over to the Wyland Gallery. They were getting ready to close, but looking at ocean art just added to our day. Their pieces are beautiful.

Then at this point it’s almost dark and just about 6pm which is when I’m supposed to meet my friend Ann at the front of the park. We catch a glimpse of the beautiful Epcot tree

And officially get our first “just engaged” picture

Blake tells me later on why he picked that spot..which I shall share with you next

In addition, Up next…I get to hangout with my friend Ann and show her my new “bling”
WHY did you do it? 2010
Old 01-17-2011, 07:47 PM   #101
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

Well some things are definitely worth the wait!!!

Oh Jess I'm crying tears of joy!! WOW, yes like that guy holding the camera said, I'm blown away!!!! What a great proposal!! I'm so happy for you!! I have all types of goosebumps now!!!!! Blake is definitely a keeper!!!!

Love that picture of you and Blake in front of the tree...like how the rock sparkles LOL

Can't wait to find out why Blake picked that spot, don't keep us waiting too long please!!

My Magical Trips to Disney:6/2012,1/2012,10/2011, 6/2011, 5/2011, 1/2011, 5/2010, 1/2010, 10/2009, 5/2009,
1/2009, 3/2007, 5/2005 , 10/1992: First Trip to Disney (Thanks Dad!)
Old 01-17-2011, 08:30 PM   #102
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Congratulations on being finished with your Master's paper! That's awesome!

Okay, I am with Jen, total tears of joy watching that video! So sweet and such a perfect spot! No wonder Blake was in la-la land at Beaches and Cream!

Love, love, love it! Totally worth the wait, Jess!
Old 01-17-2011, 08:42 PM   #103
oOJulieOo
Mouseketeer

I'm crying too!

What a sweet video! I'm so glad Blake had that guy capture it on video.

So exciting! It was worth the wait!
Old 01-18-2011, 07:37 AM   #104
kschafer
DIS Veteran

A great weekend for Jess...finally done with that nasty paper! Congrats

AND a great weekend for us because we finally got the story!!! Yep, happy tears here too! Congrats to you and Blake, too funny about your phone call with your Dad

I'm anxious to hear the reason for the location but now I can relax and enjoy the rest of your TR

June 2008, WDW with the entire family, May 2010, Girls only...woohoo!
June 2011, Two week blowout, December 2013, Christmas with the Mouse
Old 01-18-2011, 11:20 AM   #105
Daisy Duke
Mouseketeer

Count me in with happy tears, as well! How sweet and what a wonderful proposal story!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: