Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
DisneyMomma09
Mouseketeer

Interpreting Toddler-Speak in Disney! Aug TR: My Bus! Update 10/22

Alright, we have been home for a month, so it is probably time to get moving on the TR. If you want to learn a little more about the crew, check out the PTR in my signature. For those who don't want to do that, I will give a brief overview of the who and the when.

Let's start with our introductions! I'll go first...

I am Ashleigh-your author, Disney Planner and family tour guide. Here I am in front of the castle during the Princess ½ Marathon this past February.

DH reluctantly puts up with my Disney obsession and planning. I do not know how he does not get nearly as excited as I do before a trip…

The real star of the show is our fun-loving 2 year old Colby. This is his 3rd trip to WDW and while I love taking him to this magical place, this trip was especially fun!

Also traveling with us was my mom, Ellen. It has been 10 years since she has been to WDW and I was excited to have her with us.

We also had my sister, Kylie, and my brother, Kory, with us. Kylie has not been to WDW for 10 years, like my mom. We have taken Kory with us on 2 previous trips. He is a pretty special kid and I could write a whole book on him! We adopted him when he was a year old. He had been a premie that my mom actually took care of in the hospital (she is a nurse). He still has some issues as a result of being so premature including MR, ADHD, Autism and an anxiety disorder. He LOVES going to Disney with us!

Kylie

Kory

So there we are. We traveled to Walt Disney World from August 16th-23rd. It was a hot, but wonderful trip and I cannot wait to tell you all about it!

Contents:
Day -1
Airpane! See Ditty Ouse!
Airpane! See Ditty Ouse! Cont.
Toins & A-loons
Feh Fies!
Astle!
Pee-Pee
Choo-choo nain

Day 2
My Bus!

My Disney Princess 1/2 Marathon Trip Report!
I Wish I May, I Wish I Might, Please Don't Let Us Miss Our Flight! An August 2011 PTR
*New! Interpreting Toddler-Speak at Disney! Aug 2011 TR*

August 2006 Wilderness Lodge, August 2007 Wilderness Lodge, June 2008 Saratoga Springs, November 2008 Wilderness Lodge, June 2010 Old Key West, February 2011 Bay Lake Towers (Finished Princess 1/2!), August 2011 Port Orleans French Quarter

Last edited by DisneyMomma09; 10-22-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
DisneyMomma09
Mouseketeer

Airpane! See ditty ouse!

Colby was super excited leading up to the trip. I really think he understood that something exciting was going to be happening. He knew we were going on an airplane and we were going to see Mickey Mouse! It made me even more excited that he was excited about it!

The trip did not get off to the smoothest start, however. On Sunday night, the night before we were going to leave, everything was ready. The suitcases were packed and ready by the door. Our boarding passes were printed. Colby was in bed. And we got a phone call. From our local airport. About our 7:10 am flight the next morning. It was delayed 2 hours!!! That meant we were going to miss our connecting flight out of Cleveland.

PANIC!!!!

After some cursing and serious stressing, we made some phone calls to decide what to do. We could drive to Cleveland. It is only 1 1/2 hours away. But then we would have to drive home from Cleveland at the end of our trip. DH called his father to let him know what was going on. He offered to drive us to Cleveland in the morning. He is awesome! He also has a Suburban that seats 8, so we could all ride in the same car!

So after being up later than we anticipated trying to sort out the travel situation, we headed for a restless night's sleep. We were back up again bright...or rather dark and early at 5:00. My mom got there soon after. We were packed and on the road at 5:30.

I Wish I May, I Wish I Might, Please Don't Let Us Miss Our Flight! An August 2011 PTR

August 2006 Wilderness Lodge, August 2007 Wilderness Lodge, June 2008 Saratoga Springs, November 2008 Wilderness Lodge, June 2010 Old Key West, February 2011 Bay Lake Towers (Finished Princess 1/2!), August 2011 Port Orleans French Quarter
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2011, 08:58 PM   #3
DisneyMomma09
Mouseketeer

Airpane! See Ditty Ouse! Cont.

When we last left, we were driving off to Cleveland to catch our flight to Orlando. Just when I was starting to relax and think things were going to go well, Colby needed to go potty! So we pulled off at the next rest stop and I took him to the bathroom only to discover that our TTC for this month had been a failure. I was really hoping to find out I was preggo at Disney. That would have been super cool! Instead, I would have to deal with this for the length of our trip. Lovely.

Anyhow, we made it to Cleveland with pleanty of time to spare. We got through security with no problems and grabbed a bite to eat. DH checked the arrival and departure board and what do you know? Our origional flight from Erie to Cleveland was going to land about 15 minutes before our flight to Orlando was supposed to take off. He was a little ticked off that we would have made it, but then I reminded him that we would have been stressed out about catching our connecting flight.

We hit the potty and then boarded our plane. It was a pretty smooth flight. Colby was VERY well behaved! Yeah! We watched Finding Nemo most of the flight. The snacks and his juice kept him happy. Then we switched to stickers. He had about 60 of them up and down his legs at one point!

The only rough point of the flight was when we let Colby stand up to look out the window as we started decending into Orlando. Of course, once he was up, he did not want to sit back down. It took a little wrangling to get his seatbelt back on, but once it was, he settled down again and was fine!

We landed in Orlando, hit the potty again, and then headed to the Magical Express! We checked in quickly and were ushered right through onto a waiting bus. It was pretty full, but we found seats together near the back. The driver put our carry on bags under the bus, got on, and we were off!! What luck! Our luck continued when we were the first stop to be dropped off! Awesome!

Old 09-29-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
lbuzz52
DIS Veteran

First whoohoo!
I love the title. I'm still in that stage, but it was much more fun at Disney! That stinks about the flight switching up so close to departure time. If it makes you feel any better, there is a high likelyhood that you would not have made it if you rode on that other flight. Between taxing to the gate, moving from one gate to another. Plus, they probably would ahve already closed the doors to the second flight. I think you made the right choice. Colby looks so much older than the last pictures i saw of him. I can't wait to see POFQ pics! i'm so excited to stay there next trip.

May 2011 CBR TR. Oct 2012 POR PTR . May 2011 PTR. Oct/Nov 09 TR

Contemporary 1986 Contemporary 1988 Polynesian 1989 Disneyland 1998 Disneyland 2008 Saratoga Springs 2009 Caribbean Beach 2011Port Orleans Riverside Princess Room 2012 Caribbean Beach Pirate Room 2013 Disneyland 2014 WDW/Cruise 2015
Old 10-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
dramaqueenemj22
Mouseketeer

So excited about reading about your trip! I'm subbing.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:43 PM   #6
DisneyMomma09
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbuzz52 View Post
First whoohoo!
I love the title. I'm still in that stage, but it was much more fun at Disney! That stinks about the flight switching up so close to departure time. If it makes you feel any better, there is a high likelyhood that you would not have made it if you rode on that other flight. Between taxing to the gate, moving from one gate to another. Plus, they probably would ahve already closed the doors to the second flight. I think you made the right choice. Colby looks so much older than the last pictures i saw of him. I can't wait to see POFQ pics! i'm so excited to stay there next trip.
Yes, I am certain we made the right choice about driving to Cleveland. I am just glad the airport called to let us know! Otherwise I do not think we would have realized our flight was delayed!

Colby is getting so grown up! I can't stand it!

POFQ pics coming up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueenemj22 View Post
So excited about reading about your trip! I'm subbing.
Welcome! Thanks for following along!

Old 10-02-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
DisneyMomma09
Mouseketeer

Toins & A-loons

We were thrilled to be the first stop off for our ME trip. We were warmly (and hotly and humidly) welcomed at POFQ. We all got our Mardi Gras beads as we were waiting for the stroller and the carry on luggage to be unloaded from ME. As we made our way to the lobby, the doors were held open for us by a colorful cast member and he handed Colby the first of many, many, many colorful 'toins'!

We made our way into the lobby. Sorry...I can't believe I didn't get any pictures in here! We must have been too busy trying to manage all of our bags, the stroller and Colby. Dan took Colby to watch the cartoons in the lobby while my mom and I got in line. We had both done the online check-in, so it was pretty quick. At some point, Colby came over us, attracted by the a-loons all over! He got his 'a-loon' on a Mickey weight. How cute!

Eventhough we were early...I think it was a little after 12 when we checked-in...my mom's room was already ready! We were in building 1, Rooms 1229 and 1230. Connecting rooms! Great! By the time we got to my mom's room, I got my text that our room was ready, too. Building 1 is one of the furthest away from the main building, but it is a pleasent walk, under 5 minutes. My mom has been to New Orleans and she thought the resort looked pretty authentic! Here is our building.

We checked our our room quickly. I loved the purple comforters! My favorite color! Everything was neat and tidy. I loved the curtain by the sinks. It made and extra space for privacy to get changed, especially in my mom's room with my sister, my brother and my mom all trying to get changed and ready at some points.

The shower/toilet area was pretty small. But then again...we have become used to DVC resorts that have a little bit bigger areas.

We were very happy with our rooms. We dropped off our stuff and headed back out to find some food!

Old 10-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #8
DisneyMomma09
Mouseketeer

Feh Fies!

We headed back out of our rooms and took the walk up to Sassagoula. On the way, Colby spotted the fountain outside of our building.

Every time we were coming or going from the hotel, he had to stop and put his hands in the fountain!

We were able to pull him away from the water with the promise of 'feh fies' (French Fries) to eat!

We quickly made our way to Sassagoula and took a few minutes checking out our options at the different sections. We settled on our choices pretty quickly. My mom and I decided to split one meatball sub while my sister and brother split another. DH and Colby split an order of chicken breast nuggets with Colby's 'feh fies'. We got a chocolage milk for Colby to drink while the rest of us got Refillable Mugs.

This was pleanty of food for us and it was quite good! I really liked the chips that came with our subs. Colby ate all of his 'feh fies' and even managed to take a few bites of chicken.

We finished eating and made our way back to our rooms. The plan was for everyone to settle down and take a little nap since we had been ups since before 5 and it was Colby's nap time anyways. We set up the Pack & Play and closed the drapes. I turned on Colby's lullaby's on my iPod and we all laid down.

Colby usually spends a little time takling to himself and his stuffed Mickey & Nemo before he manages to fall asleep. I quickly heard the snores of DH beside me, and soon Colby stopped chatting, but he was still tossing and turning at the foot of our bed. I do not think I fell asleep because I was listening to Colby! We rested for about an hour and a half before getting up and heading to the parks. I was just too excited and since Colby was not napping, what was the point of holding off any longer?!

Old 10-08-2011, 04:12 PM   #9
Raspberry Bubbles
I was Cinderella for the day!

Subscribing! I love that your LO puts stickers on his legs too. DS20months has been obsessed with doing this for so long ~ I'm pregnant and he puts them on my tummy to share with his brother to be too! Cannot wait to hear all about your adventures!
DLP '95 Santa Fe - DLP '01 Sequoia Lodge - DFTW PT 18-24 Feb '08 - WDW POR, WL, POFQ, BW, YC, GF, Poly, WL, BC & AKL DFTW and Disneymoon 5-24 Aug '08 - Disney Wonder 17-21 Aug '08 - DLRP Christmas '08, DLH
Old 10-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #10
DisneyMomma09
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspberry Bubbles View Post
Subscribing! I love that your LO puts stickers on his legs too. DS20months has been obsessed with doing this for so long ~ I'm pregnant and he puts them on my tummy to share with his brother to be too! Cannot wait to hear all about your adventures!
Welcome! That is too cute about your DS! Colby has loved putting stickers all over both his and other's various body parts for quite a while. What a fun game!

Congrats on the upcoming baby! When are you due? We are trying for #2, so I am quite baby obsessed at the moment!!

Old 10-09-2011, 08:32 PM   #11
DisneyMomma09
Mouseketeer

Astle!

Since our nap time didn't pan out, we decided to head to the Magic Kingdom! Our checked luggage had arrived while we were resting, so we gathered up everything we would need in our park bag, grabbed the stroller, and hit the road.

On a side note, for anyone traveling with children, I packed each of Colby's outfits in a gallon sized ziplock bag. When it was time to go to the parks, I just threw a few extra bags into our park bag. It worked out great! Especially since we were potty training and when Colby had an accident, we took the new outfit out of the bag and had a place to put the wet clothes. Perfect! (It was also perfect for DH getting DS dressed in the morning, since he purposefully mis-matches his clothes!)

We stopped to fill our mugs before heading out to the bus stop. We had a brief 5 minute wait for the bus to arrive, then we were on our way to the Magic Kingdom!

When we got the the Magic Kingdom, it was a bit cloudy. We made a stop at the potty with Colby and then headed down Main Street where we caught our first glimpse of the 'astle!' Ahhh...I was home again!

We were ushered down Main Street by the band playing 'Chim-Chiminy'. It was wonderful! We stopped to listen for a few minutes, but it was getting increasingly cloudy, so we decided to keep moving.

We stopped for a few photopass pictures in front of the 'astle' (Castle), but as we were posing, it started to thunder. Colby hates thunder (and I am not a big fan of it either!), so we just got a couple pictures.

It started to sprinkle as we threw Colby in the stroller and quickly walked into Tomorrowland. We decided the Laugh Floor would be the perfect place to escape the rain for a bit! I parked and covered the stroller and we made our way in.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #12
aladdinsgirl
There's something comforting about being in a house where dog hair litters the sofa and the bedspreads.--Anonymous

I'm in! You had me at the Ward jersey.

I know how fun toddler trips are, my 3 year old has been to WDW 8 times. Can't wait to read about all the fun you had.
3x Full Marathon Finisher, 10x Half Marathon Finisher

Old 10-10-2011, 04:03 AM   #14
Raspberry Bubbles
I was Cinderella for the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMomma09 View Post
Welcome! That is too cute about your DS! Colby has loved putting stickers all over both his and other's various body parts for quite a while. What a fun game!

Congrats on the upcoming baby! When are you due? We are trying for #2, so I am quite baby obsessed at the moment!!
He does love it ~ he even sticks them on his fur-brothers (two huskies)!

I'm due on February 5th, the same day two years ago as I was with DS Jensen Indiana! Sending baby dust your way, I hope it happens soon for you!
DLP '95 Santa Fe - DLP '01 Sequoia Lodge - DFTW PT 18-24 Feb '08 - WDW POR, WL, POFQ, BW, YC, GF, Poly, WL, BC & AKL DFTW and Disneymoon 5-24 Aug '08 - Disney Wonder 17-21 Aug '08 - DLRP Christmas '08, DLH
Old 10-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #15
DisneyMomma09
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aladdinsgirl View Post
I'm in! You had me at the Ward jersey.

I know how fun toddler trips are, my 3 year old has been to WDW 8 times. Can't wait to read about all the fun you had.
Wow! 8 times in 3 years! I don't think we are going to beat that!

Let's Go Steelers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
Joining in
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspberry Bubbles View Post
He does love it ~ he even sticks them on his fur-brothers (two huskies)!

I'm due on February 5th, the same day two years ago as I was with DS Jensen Indiana! Sending baby dust your way, I hope it happens soon for you!
Thanks! How cool that you have the same due date again!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: