Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 01:11 AM   #286
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran
 
MAGICFOR2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 9,771

Wow! Palo looks so fabulous! We haven't tried it yet. It is on the list for our next one.

Love the hat. You and Jen posing with the headless chef is so Did he share any recipes? How fun that you were seated near friends so you could just party on!
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:28 AM   #287
dizneeat
DIS Veteran
 
dizneeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Austria
Posts: 13,926

P A L O !!! yummyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Somehow I really don't like being 6 hours ahead of time and mostly asleep when you guys post something!

I love your Palo update! Isn't it just wonderful? And we had a lot of the same dishes you had!
Did you taste the souffle? I hope so! It is sooooooooooo good! Your boys were lucky you took it back to them!

Thanks for the update! I LOVE reading them first thing in the morning! Now I am off to breakfast!

See ya later!
__________________
Players: Karin Tom Find our trips here: Magicaldisneytrips
DLRP: Aug 12 - 21, 2014 to put our APs to good use
WDW, DCL: July 26 Magic/Med March 29 Magic/Western
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-29-2010, 03:21 AM   #288
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran
 
Flossbolna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Nuremberg, Germany
Posts: 6,570

What a wonderful adult dinner! Looks like the perfect ending to your adult only day at Key West! Those breads look so wonderful! I would have a hard time not to eat the whole basket.

But I would hope that they also have seafood free dishes there? I don't eat any shellfish (allergic to it, but never liked it, so I was really glad when I was tested and found out that now I have a valid excuse not to eat it ).
__________________
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:40 AM   #289
KristiMc
DIS Veteran
 
KristiMc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Posts: 3,210

Just found your TR and read through it this morning. We are on the Eastern in March and I am so looking forward to our Palo night.
__________________
me DH DS13 DS10
2000:Dixie Landings/Disney Wonder 2006:WL 2008:POFQ 2010:BLT 2011:Disney Magic 2012:Disney Magic 2013:AKV 2013:Disney Fantasy 2014:HHI/Disney Dream
KristiMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:47 AM   #290
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...
 
podsnel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Posts: 6,837

Quote:
Originally Posted by burly View Post
Hi! Back from life being too busy and catching up on all my TR's that i attempt to follow.
I finished up your last one and followed you over to this one.
thank thank thank you for the links.
Great Job on the TOt stuff. How awesome is Jen.
Cruising looks to be so much fun! One day....


KIM
Hi Kim!! I'm so happy you found me! Hope your life has been busy with all GOOD things....

Cruising is a great thing- you actually (as a Mom) get a vacation, too! DCL seems expensive, but when you add up everything you are getting, it is actually an excellent value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Wow! Palo looks so fabulous! We haven't tried it yet. It is on the list for our next one.

Love the hat. You and Jen posing with the headless chef is so Did he share any recipes? How fun that you were seated near friends so you could just party on!
Well, I hope you will try it on your Vancouver repo! It really is a nice night out- the service there is excellent. And the food is very good.

Thanks for liking my hat- I was so excited to wear it!!! It's so frou frou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
P A L O !!! yummyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Somehow I really don't like being 6 hours ahead of time and mostly asleep when you guys post something!

I love your Palo update! Isn't it just wonderful? And we had a lot of the same dishes you had!
Did you taste the souffle? I hope so! It is sooooooooooo good! Your boys were lucky you took it back to them!

Thanks for the update! I LOVE reading them first thing in the morning! Now I am off to breakfast!

See ya later!
Well, I often read yours right before bed, and I can't post until the next day- the typing in bed wakes Pods. So did you have that appetizer? Was it the Portobello Mushroom? The thing is, I think I know what we ate, but then when I go back and look at the menu descriptions it doesn't seem to match. Like Pods' dinner- maybe it was the veal on the Palo menu, but here's the decription for that-Veal Loin Scaloppini alla "Bari" Pecorino Cheese and Artichokes . Well, whatever...it was yummy!

And I am ashamed to say that I did not have the souffle- we were SO FULL! I did have it on the last cruise, though, and it is divine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
What a wonderful adult dinner! Looks like the perfect ending to your adult only day at Key West! Those breads look so wonderful! I would have a hard time not to eat the whole basket.

But I would hope that they also have seafood free dishes there? I don't eat any shellfish (allergic to it, but never liked it, so I was really glad when I was tested and found out that now I have a valid excuse not to eat it ).
Yes, it was a perfect adult day....actually, on this cruise, we saw a lot less of our kids than we did on our first one. They did have dinner with us every night (well, except for Palo) and I was able to drag them away from the Edge occasiionally...besides shore excursions...but they were sooooo happy to be independent and with all the other kids that Pods & I had a TON of alone time!

And Palo has LOTS of non-seafood (actually Pods' dinner was veal, so, not fish). They make EXCELLENT pizzas- we had those at brunch- and last time I had lamb chops, there are chicken dishes and lots of pasta, too. Don't worry, you would not go hungry!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiMc View Post
Just found your TR and read through it this morning. We are on the Eastern in March and I am so looking forward to our Palo night.
Hi there!! I think the Eastern Itinerary will be beautiful- that area of the caribbean is so lush and green and mountainous. We are doing a 9 day eastern this summer (but on RCCL) and while I am worried about the heat, I am looking forward to the eastern islands- they are gorgeous! Are you on the cruise with Kara??
podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:14 PM   #291
nenner1
I must've been distracted by the Cafe Press Logo Thong talk!
 
nenner1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: TAMPA, FL
Posts: 3,564

Hey I just realized you called me yesterday, I totally missed it I'm sorry!!! (I never took my phone out of my work laptop bag at all yesterday.)
Or were you butt dialing?

Ok, on to the Palo comments...first of all you have some really awesome photos there (yes I snagged a bunch of them), I really love some of the mask shots but some of the ones that really jumped out were the food shots, like of the bread, really neat perspective. Artsy fartsy, love it!!

How was it that they knew to sit all of us Dis troublemakers right together like that? Do we have a look to us? In fact it is like that is our assigned seat in Palo, in the 7 or so times now we've been there, we have always sat at either the table we were at that night or the table you were at that night. We've never even seen the other side of the room.

And did you know they did it again the next day, sat us at the exact same table right next to Joanie and Sam and Nicole and Bill.

I think that Halloween display at Palo was the only one onboard that managed to keep any chocolate in it, Ron pointed it out to me on the way out, yea like the thing I want to eat on my way into (or God forbid out of!!!) Palo is candy!!

The food at Palo this time was so delicious. I am not a fan of grilled seafood but the pics of Pods shrimp and your scallops are making me drool bigtime!!!

I'm so glad we got the opportunity to enjoy dinner quasi-together like that. One of the only regrets I have for the cruise is not jumping at the group brunch, especially when Judy told me you were trying to fill the room. I did really want someone to have the opportunity to go that might not have otherwise but I wish I had been selfish and just gone!

Oh and your hat was so stylin'!! It was *perfect* for a fancy Halloween dinner!!!

ETA: yes, the appetizer was the portobello mushroom, we had it too!
__________________


Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report

Last edited by nenner1; 12-29-2010 at 12:20 PM.
nenner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:46 PM   #292
Wicket's Mom
DIS Veteran
 
Wicket's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,010

That food looked incredible! I love the food on a cruise so did our kids.
When we did the family cruise the kids had the run of the ship while we did our thing. We ate dinner together, buut the rest of the ship time they hung out mostly at food venues. Those kids ate so much food on that cruise, they entered eating contests & were ordering room service all week!
__________________
wicket's mom WDW-1975 thru 1985 offsite, stayed FW in '86
CSR '02, CB'06, CSR '09, CBR '11, AKL '12, AKL '13
Fast Passes, We Don't Need No Stinkin' Fast Passes
(url)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050319
It Was the Best of Times & the Worst, But It Was the Best Trip Evah!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2811518
Wicket's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:19 PM   #293
dallastxcpa
DIS Veteran
 
dallastxcpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Lewisville, TX
Posts: 1,971

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Congrats on winning a trip, Dallastxcpa! I hope you get to enjoy that beautiful sunset!
Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
WON A TRIP????? How? That's so WONDERFUL!!!! I would definitely vote for staying in KW for the sunset- you need to watch it from Mallory Square...there is all kinds of stuff going on there to celebrate the sunset every day. How long is your trip for? It's winter, so wouldn't sunset be pretty early in the day?



I hope she does too!!!!
I think it is going to be an awesome trip. It is only four days but they have put us up in a fabulous hotel. The Epic by Kimpton in downtown Miami. They also have paid for the airfare and ground transfers.

I won the trip by entering a contest on the Disney website. I used to enter online contest every once in a while. And then a couple of years ago one of the DISers won the grand prize in the Year of a Million Dreams. 220 DVC points with the winners taxes paid and dues paid for the life of the contract. All for mailing in an entry form. Well, that motivated me. There is another website, Mouse Savers and they keep an updated list of contests that have Disney prizes.

A couple of weeks before I got the notification I was starting to think it was a waste and then one day I got an email saying I was the potential grand prize winner. I nearly deleted it thinking it was spam. And then I noticed the email came from @disney.com.

I know it is a long drive from Miami to Key West but, being from Texas you can't get anywhere without driving some distance. Also, Dave and I plan to retire to the Keys in the next ten years so I would like to go and take a quick peek until I can get down there for a longer vacation.
__________________
dallastxcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:24 PM   #294
dallastxcpa
DIS Veteran
 
dallastxcpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Lewisville, TX
Posts: 1,971

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post









You are always dressed so cute and you and Pods make such a cute couple.
__________________
dallastxcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:03 AM   #295
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran
 
MAGICFOR2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 9,771

That trip winning story is so awesome! You have inspired me to keep entering those sweeps! Every year I think I'm going to win the HGTV Dream home! I read a TR by the winner of that DVC package - such a sweet deserving lady, as I'm sure you are!
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:56 AM   #296
dizneeat
DIS Veteran
 
dizneeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Austria
Posts: 13,926

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
Well, I often read yours right before bed, and I can't post until the next day- the typing in bed wakes Pods. So did you have that appetizer? Was it the Portobello Mushroom? The thing is, I think I know what we ate, but then when I go back and look at the menu descriptions it doesn't seem to match. Like Pods' dinner- maybe it was the veal on the Palo menu, but here's the decription for that-Veal Loin Scaloppini alla "Bari" Pecorino Cheese and Artichokes . Well, whatever...it was yummy!
Yes, we did have the Portobello Mushroom appetizer! Our Michele, our Palo server in 2009, brought out a ton of extra stuff and this was one of them.
Same problem here with the descriptions! I am always sure I'll remember what we ate, but then the online descriptions never seem to match!
I thought that what your DH had was the same Tom had ordered, but when I went back it wasn't! So, unfortunately I can't help there.

Next time you take a dessert with you, just get an "extra" one! We eat at Palo so often, that once we get to know the server, they always bring out extra treats!
__________________
Players: Karin Tom Find our trips here: Magicaldisneytrips
DLRP: Aug 12 - 21, 2014 to put our APs to good use
WDW, DCL: July 26 Magic/Med March 29 Magic/Western
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:50 AM   #297
dvc4life
Disney is my Happy Place
 
dvc4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 3,840

PALO looks awesome. Love going there. It is so yummy. And I love your hat! How cool.
__________________
Chris
dvc4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:29 AM   #298
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...
 
podsnel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Posts: 6,837

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenner1 View Post
Hey I just realized you called me yesterday, I totally missed it I'm sorry!!! (I never took my phone out of my work laptop bag at all yesterday.)
Or were you butt dialing?

No....NOT butt dialing!! I was calling to say hello, and then when I didn't hear your voice, I wasn't sure if I was leaving a message for you or Ron, because I have both your cell #'s in my phone....so I hung up (sorry) and meant to try the other # but got distracted (can you imagine!).

Ok, on to the Palo comments...first of all you have some really awesome photos there (yes I snagged a bunch of them), I really love some of the mask shots but some of the ones that really jumped out were the food shots, like of the bread, really neat perspective. Artsy fartsy, love it!!

Thanks! Glad you found some to share!

How was it that they knew to sit all of us Dis troublemakers right together like that? Do we have a look to us? In fact it is like that is our assigned seat in Palo, in the 7 or so times now we've been there, we have always sat at either the table we were at that night or the table you were at that night. We've never even seen the other side of the room.


And did you know they did it again the next day, sat us at the exact same table right next to Joanie and Sam and Nicole and Bill.

That's weird! You've been SEVEN TIMES???? I've been 5 in two cruises- how many cruises have you been on?

I think that Halloween display at Palo was the only one onboard that managed to keep any chocolate in it, Ron pointed it out to me on the way out, yea like the thing I want to eat on my way into (or God forbid out of!!!) Palo is candy!!

I agree- I had NO desire to grab ANY candy on my way in or out!

The food at Palo this time was so delicious. I am not a fan of grilled seafood but the pics of Pods shrimp and your scallops are making me drool bigtime!!!

It was very good. The seafood was yummmmmm....

I'm so glad we got the opportunity to enjoy dinner quasi-together like that. One of the only regrets I have for the cruise is not jumping at the group brunch, especially when Judy told me you were trying to fill the room. I did really want someone to have the opportunity to go that might not have otherwise but I wish I had been selfish and just gone!

THAT MAKES ME CRAZY!!!!! You belonged there more than ANYONE- especially ME! You did SOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!! I actually felt tremendously guilty at that brunch- I was the one supposed to make it happen, and the best i could do was get a table for the 6 of us that actually had reservations that morning. I was so surprised when we walked in and they sat us in that room with all those people- the last I had heard, no one was able to get a table. So glad there are people out there who figured it all out- but more than ANYONE you and Ron should have been sitting there!

Oh and your hat was so stylin'!! It was *perfect* for a fancy Halloween dinner!!!

ETA: yes, the appetizer was the portobello mushroom, we had it too!
Thanks and thanks-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket's Mom View Post
That food looked incredible! I love the food on a cruise so did our kids.
When we did the family cruise the kids had the run of the ship while we did our thing. We ate dinner together, buut the rest of the ship time they hung out mostly at food venues. Those kids ate so much food on that cruise, they entered eating contests & were ordering room service all week!
My kids love ordering room service, too!! Timmy did it more on the last cruise than this one- I think he really loved Edge and just never came out other than to run up to Pluto's for a hot dog/chicken finger/pizza. Actually...I love it, too! And I love that it's included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallastxcpa View Post
I think it is going to be an awesome trip. It is only four days but they have put us up in a fabulous hotel. The Epic by Kimpton in downtown Miami. They also have paid for the airfare and ground transfers.

I won the trip by entering a contest on the Disney website. I used to enter online contest every once in a while. And then a couple of years ago one of the DISers won the grand prize in the Year of a Million Dreams. 220 DVC points with the winners taxes paid and dues paid for the life of the contract. All for mailing in an entry form. Well, that motivated me. There is another website, Mouse Savers and they keep an updated list of contests that have Disney prizes.

A couple of weeks before I got the notification I was starting to think it was a waste and then one day I got an email saying I was the potential grand prize winner. I nearly deleted it thinking it was spam. And then I noticed the email came from @disney.com.

I know it is a long drive from Miami to Key West but, being from Texas you can't get anywhere without driving some distance. Also, Dave and I plan to retire to the Keys in the next ten years so I would like to go and take a quick peek until I can get down there for a longer vacation.
I just looked- it says it's a 3.5 hour drive. I think it's worth it- and WOW lucky YOU!!! I remember when that DISer won the YOAMD and the SSR points- she often writes TRs on the DVC Mousellaneous board. You have DEFINITELY motivated me to start sending out postcards to concerts. Uh-oh. There go the odds!

I have yet to go to Miami, but I have many friends who have loved it there- can't wait to hear what you think!! I hope you'll do a TR!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallastxcpa View Post
You are always dressed so cute and you and Pods make such a cute couple.
Awww....thanks! that's so sweet of you to say!
podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:43 AM   #299
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...
 
podsnel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Posts: 6,837

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
That trip winning story is so awesome! You have inspired me to keep entering those sweeps! Every year I think I'm going to win the HGTV Dream home! I read a TR by the winner of that DVC package - such a sweet deserving lady, as I'm sure you are!
Oh-oh! There go the odds some more!! BTW- I got a very nice Arbonne box in my mail on Tuesday- THANK-YOU!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
Yes, we did have the Portobello Mushroom appetizer! Our Michele, our Palo server in 2009, brought out a ton of extra stuff and this was one of them.
Same problem here with the descriptions! I am always sure I'll remember what we ate, but then the online descriptions never seem to match!
I thought that what your DH had was the same Tom had ordered, but when I went back it wasn't! So, unfortunately I can't help there.

Next time you take a dessert with you, just get an "extra" one! We eat at Palo so often, that once we get to know the server, they always bring out extra treats!
I usually DO remember what everyone has ordered- for some reason, i was very "off" on this cruise- so when the menu descriptions look so different from what is on the plate, I am LOST!! Pods actually makes fun of me all the time about this- he says I can remember a great meal, including what everyone at the table ate, for YEARS. What can I say...we all need to be good at SOMETHING!

And I will ask for another one next time- you can never have too many souffles from Palo, I guess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvc4life View Post
PALO looks awesome. Love going there. It is so yummy. And I love your hat! How cool.
I agree and Thanks!!
podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:56 AM   #300
bfosbenner
Cherishing each visit
 
bfosbenner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Beesleys Point, NJ
Posts: 516

Palo

Karen and I did Palo on Holloween eve at 6:30
Very awsome...

Ellen,
How much snow did you get? 16+ around here!
__________________
Vero Beach & SSR DVC Member, 2/2012 7 day Aulani visit!
6/2003 4 Day Wonder 11/1/08 Election Day Castaway 10/30/10 Not So Scary Holloween Cruise
11/2004 7 Day Magic Original Turkey Day Gang, 12/06 wonder First visit, 3/1972!
bfosbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: