Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2010, 09:54 PM   #76
missj1975
DIS Veteran

To Coconut or not to Coconut...

A picture of a coconut on the walking path to the beach. Funny how one little picture is so important later. I took the picture cause DH was telling me Disney cuts the coconuts out of the trees so they don't fall and hit anyone on the head. So I took a picture cause I am funny like that.

So later in the day, I saw a kid carrying a coconut (probably this coconut) around. Hmmm, I must be old because I never once thought of picking up the coconut and keeping it. Just like I never pick flowers, fruit from trees that don't belong to me, etc. Plus there is this funny thing called Customs that definitely would love to fine you if they catch you with that coconut.

So my DH notices the kid with the coconut too and pretty much has a meltdown. He starts going on and on about how he should of picked up the coconut, blah blah blah. I just looked at him and said what the heck would you have done with it. He was like I would have opened it up, drank the milk, ate the coconut. So I resisted the urge to fall to the ground and roll around in laughter. Instead I say "Ok surviverman how would you open the coconut?" He starts mumbling something about rocks and I just walk off. Sometimes it is just better to walk away.

As a side note, DH still mentions that darn coconut. 30 days later and he still remembers the coconut and regrets not picking it up. I so hope we don't see any on our next trip cause I can just imagine a trip to the ER if DH attempts to open a coconut.

When you disembark the ship, you can take a tram to the beach or they have a nice walking path. I highly recommend the walking path if you enjoy a little exercise. Tons of great photo taking opportunities on the path.

Since we bought a Shutters package, I did make DH wait with me for a couple of character photos. I swear I read on a trip report that people get annoyed by all the pictures Shutter employees take. We wish that would have happened to us. We had to actively seek out Shutters employees to take our picture, otherwise we would have had only one picture (the boarding picture) to choose from.

I know it is hard to see but it is a hermit crab. He was just walking across the path and almost got stepped on by a guest. I quickly moved him to the side of the path.

A picture of the snorkeling lagoon. We bought the package deal where you get snorkeling equipment, tube rental, and a bike rental. We technically never used a tube rental but it was still cheaper then buying the snorkel rental and the bike rental separately.

So when we first got in we were the first people snorkeling. I have a cool underwater camera that DH bought me 3 years ago for a Discovery Cove trip. Well apparently 3 years is the lifespan of the camera cause it conked out on me in the middle of snorkeling around the lagoon. No big loss cause frankly there wasn't much to take pictures of. Maybe the fish were all hiding that day cause we sure didn't see many, in the lagoon anyway.

We are just swimming around when bam, I get hit on the side. I immediately know it isn't a shark cause the whole lagoon is netted off. Instead it is just a kid, cause you know we are surrounded by a big empty lagoon so of course the kid hits me. You know like when you park in the furtherest corner of an empty parking lot with no cars around you and you come back 20 minutes later and now your car is surrounded even though there are tons of other empty spaces. Seriously that annoys the crap out of me.

So I make sure the kid is ok an start snorkeling again and bam I get hit again...by a different kid. *Sigh* So I'm done, I motion to DH that I am heading back so I can take off the Kid Magnet.

So I am contemplating whether to turn the snorkeling gear in or take it to the adult beach. I head over to the rental counter and ask the clerk. He says "oh no you don't want to snorkel there. There is nothing to see but sand, plus there are no nets so we aren't liable if you get attacked by a shark." Seriously he said that. I was like no worries my DH assured me I wouldn't get attacked by a shark this trip. See, the is the only way I will snorkel is if I have a written guarantee that I won't get ate by a shark. (My greatest fear in life is getting attacked by a shark or a bear). So then the cast member says my husband's guarantee is void at the adult beach. Fine take your darn snorkel equipment, I am done.

I start twisting my wedding band (I do that when I am nervous) and then I start cussing (silently) cause I realize my wedding rings are in the room safe. Yep I did agree when DH asked me not to wear the rings to the beach. Only cause I read somewhere that sharks are attracted to diamonds and not trying to brag or anything but my engagement ring has a huge rock on it so in the interest of not getting my hand bit off I took my rings off for the first time since I got married. I think I even started crying when I took my rings off that morning. I seriously never take them off. Main reason I am just so happy that I finally got married and proved to all my family that I wouldn't turn into the old maid with a million cats and 2) I thought I lost my engagement ring once, that is a nightmare I never want to live through again.

At this point, the beach was started getting crowded with kids, lots and lots of kids. So you know what that means...adult beach time. As we wait for the tram...who do we see....

Ok it was planned, I knew he was going to be near the tram but apparently I was the only who knew cause there was no line and even after we got our pictures no one came up to him. I actually started feeling sorry for him.

I do love Jack...he is the only man I would leave my DH for. I made the mistake of telling hubby that and he actually got quite mad at me, going on and on about there is no one he would leave me for. Aww how sweet but hubby you do realize that Jack Sparrow is a fictional character and there is no way I could actually leave you for him since he isn't real. DH gave me the how could you look so I had to bring out the secret weapon...Ariel. Yep my Dh has a thing for Ariel so I was like seriously DH are you telling me that if Ariel swam up to you in Serenity Bay you wouldn't swim off with her without a backward glance. His face got read and he walked off. Yeah that is what I thought.

At that point we needed alcohol, it always makes everything better.

missj1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:11 PM   #77
SmithFamily2003
Mouseketeer

Seriously, do you have a problem with kids?

Just teasing!!!

Loving your pics. I wouldn't have taken the wedding ring off. You could have used it as a weapon to gouge out the shark's eyes!
Pop Century Oct. 2011
Caribbean Beach Feb. 2011
All-Star Movies Oct. 2009
Port Orleans Riverside Feb. 2009
Pop Century Sept. 2007
Wilderness Lodge Dec. 2006
All-Star Sports Sept. 2005
All-Star Sports Aug. 2003
SmithFamily2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2010, 10:20 PM   #78
missj1975
DIS Veteran

Serenity Bay

So we take the tram to Serenity Bay. I did see some people walking to it but I read it isn't a quick walk so we took the tram and I am glad we did cause it doesn't look like it is an easy walk.

I know the sign is kind of hard to read but it is basically saying beware of sharks, jellyfish, blah blah blah. I just gave DH the look because he told me there are no sharks at Castaway Cay...and I believed him...silly me. He assured me no one has ever been attacked by a shark at Castaway Cay...but there is always a first time...and I could be lucky like that. But today was my day, no sharks but we did see an octopus, lots of starfish, a stingray and all kinds of other sealife. At one point I was very tempted to go back to the kid beach and give the cast member who said there is nothing to see at the adult beach a piece of my mind. On our next cruise we are bringing our own snorkel equipment, should have dragged it with us this time.

I know the beach isn't much to look at but all the black stuff you see in the water is like an old coral bed with sealife. The water is very shallow for at least 100 yards out. We just put our water shoes on and walked around the water all afternoon looking at the sealife.

There were even shells on the beach...small but very pretty spiral shells. We collected a very nice handful before the day was over. Seriously the adult beach was awesome.

People were picking up starfish left and right. I really hope everyone was smart and nice enough to put them back in the water. I didn't feel like being the "taking live sealife is wrong" lecturer for the day so I pretty much just ignored everyone and focused on my hubby. We had a blast at the beach.

The adult beach has it's own food service area with a very nice lunch buffet which I assume is the same as the kid area.

The best part is they have a soft serve ice cream machine that stayed open until 2 pm. We had lots and lots of ice cream that day but apparently I forgot to take a picture. It was the best soft serve I have ever had, not grainy at all.

After lunch we decided to use our bike rental.

Biking was fun if not a little scary at first. The bikes have the old fashioned braking method of backpedaling to break. Whoever said you don't forget how to ride a bike is an idiot.. Growing up we biked everywhere so I have done my fair share of biking plus I own an awesome mountain bike with handle brakes but it still took me awhile to catch on to the back peddling brakes but I didn't wreck so I was happy. I did see two or three people crash so I was feeling pretty good about myself.

View of the ship from the lookout tower.

Classic Schwinn bikes.

The tram. It is kind of hard to see but Disney put reindeer antlers on the tram.

We headed back to the ship around 2:30pm. We both had a wonderful time at Castaway Cay and definitely look forward to going back.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:22 PM   #79
missj1975
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithFamily2003 View Post
Seriously, do you have a problem with kids?

Just teasing!!!

Loving your pics. I wouldn't have taken the wedding ring off. You could have used it as a weapon to gouge out the shark's eyes!
I just have a problem with your kids, they cost me way too much money ;-). We picked them up some Disney stuff today at Target, DH's idea. I swear he spoils them more then I do.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:26 PM   #80
missj1975
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Don't worry about boring us. I would love to see all the pictures! LOL!

One question, do you get to bring towels off the ship at CC, or do they have them on the island...or both?
They hand you towels when you exit the ship. There are plenty of bins to drop off used towels around Castaway Cay but I never saw another spot to get refresher towels. New towels would have been nice in the afternoon. Plus the towels aren't that big. I think next time I will bring my own beach towel since I will have my beach bag anyway.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:29 PM   #81
missj1975
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoleasawav View Post
I am loving your trip report! We are going on the dream in April. As I look out my window at the massive blizzard we have going on right now I am reading your trip report dreaming of my cruise! Thanks so much for the Nassau info. I was debating whether or not to take mt daughter shopping and now I think I will!
We are going on the Dream in February. I can't wait but I am nervous since it is so new there aren't any reports on it. It will be like undiscovered territory.

We didn't have a blizzard like your area but we did get four inches of snow on Christmas Eve. Just enough to look pretty but not cause travel problems.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:35 PM   #82
missj1975
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm loving this report! We were considering going on the 3 day wonder on Dec 9th, but then my DH had to have surgery so it was out. We are now planning at this point and time to hit WDW in March, but I still keep thinking, maybe we should do a 4 day Dream cruise. I can't make up my mind. We do have a 6 YO DD, and I think she would be happy either way. She was really excited about the cruise whne we talked about it before...and she really wants to go to a beach.
I was really worried that I wouldn't like a cruise, that there wouldn't be enough to do but there was always something to...actually probably too much to do because sometimes stuff conflicted and we had to pick what we wanted to do the most.

Your daughter would have a blast. Disney does so much to keep the kids entertained. I never once saw an unhappy kid. Plus there are so many character photo opportunities that I am sure your daughter would love.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:06 AM   #83
tigerchic89
I Love WDW

love reading it Jen!
Old 12-30-2010, 07:09 AM   #84
Mom2CJ&Kitty
Mouseketeer

Love your report and your witty writing style! Please please please write a report after your Dream cruise. I am very interseted in what you think of the new ship. Can't wait to check my kids into the club for a bit on the island so DH and I can check out Serenity Bay! Your pictures are awesome!

Our 1st Trip - June 11-15 '07 POFQ
Aug 2011: 4 days POFQ & 4 days on the Dream

Mom2CJ&Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:20 AM   #85
FlyingBelle
Official Tag Fairy Underwear Designer
"MacGyver's" her bras with duct tape and toilet paper
Frutty Pebbles doesn't taste the same with ranch dressing!

+1 on the great report! It's so fun to get such a different perspective. It's making me want to go on another cruise again soon since we had a completely different experience than you did! Oh, I wish I had the money to go again next week!
Many times as a child | Fort Wilderness Campground 1996 | Off-Property Mar 1999 | CS May 1999 | ASSp Aug 1999 | Dixie Landings Jan 2000 | Dixie Landings Feb 2001| WL Feb 2002 | Disney Wonder Cruise Jan 2003 | WL Sep 2004 | Swan Feb 2005 |WL Oct 2005 | POR - Aug 2006 | WLV - Jan/Feb 2007 | WL Family Trip - Sep 2008! Bella's first trip to Disney! | Buena Vista Suites - Dec 08 | Disneyland - Nov 2009 | Disneyland - June 2010 | POP - July 2010 Disneyland - October 2010 | ASMu & Disney Wonder December 2010 | ASMu Jan 2011| Disneyland Sept 2011 | ASMu Jan 2012 | No Kids Trip! Pirate room at CB - Mar 2012| Disneyland - April 2012| Disneyland - July 2012| Disneyland - August 2012 | ASSp - September 2012| Disney Dream 3 night cruise - Nov 2012 | Split-Stay: AKL - Feb 2014/ASMo - March 2014
FlyingBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:32 PM   #86
Petraman
Papamouse

You are doing a tremendous job on the TR! I am really getting the itch to go, but have to wait till Nov 2011
Make sure you do a TR for your Feb trip on the Dream!

Quote:
I'm loving this report! We were considering going on the 3 day wonder on Dec 9th, but then my DH had to have surgery so it was out. We are now planning at this point and time to hit WDW in March, but I still keep thinking, maybe we should do a 4 day Dream cruise. I can't make up my mind. We do have a 6 YO DD, and I think she would be happy either way. She was really excited about the cruise whne we talked about it before...and she really wants to go to a beach.
Let me just say we are a true Disney family... we go every year since our 11yr old DD was 3 months old. We went on one cruise, and have only one regret... we waited too many years to go because we thought kids would prefer WDW or DL. We could not have been more wrong. They would cruise every year I think if we gave them the choice. There is SO much for them to do... our 2 DD's both preferred hanging at the kid clubs more than with us. Your DD will love it if you go, no worries

1999-2005 yearly DL trips - various non-Disney hotels 2006 - DLC - Paradise Pier Hotel *Joined DVC!
2007 - Disney Cruise & WDW for our 20th wedding anniversary 2008 - DLC - Grand Californian
2009 - WDW- Old Key West & Animal Kingdom-Kidani 2010 - WDW- Beach Club & Animal Kingdom
2011 - Disney Cruise - the new Disney Dream! 2012 - DLC to see "World of Color" 2013 - Aulani Disney Resort?
Petraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:26 AM   #87
Ciciwoowoo
we would both run like heck to get home before the ghosts got us!

Love reading all about your adventures!!!
Old 12-31-2010, 02:03 PM   #88
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petraman View Post
You are doing a tremendous job on the TR! I am really getting the itch to go, but have to wait till Nov 2011
Make sure you do a TR for your Feb trip on the Dream!

Let me just say we are a true Disney family... we go every year since our 11yr old DD was 3 months old. We went on one cruise, and have only one regret... we waited too many years to go because we thought kids would prefer WDW or DL. We could not have been more wrong. They would cruise every year I think if we gave them the choice. There is SO much for them to do... our 2 DD's both preferred hanging at the kid clubs more than with us. Your DD will love it if you go, no worries
Thanks for your input!
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:34 PM   #89
DisneyJenn23
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by missj1975 View Post
We had a blast at the party. We were on deck ten leaning on the railing looking down at the party. We had great view of the show and the fireworks. But we did have a parade moment...you know when you have a really great spot because you got there early...so people come in at the last moment and think they deserve your great spot. Yeah that happened. I had to use my legs and elbows to keep my claim. I think I left bruises...that is what happens when you invade my personal space without the decency of buying me dinner first.
I love love love that you said this!! We were waiting for the Christmas parade for at least an hour. We had an amazing view and in comes this lady five minutes before the parade started. She asks my dad, "Can I just squeeze in here and sit in front of you?" I was so proud of him when he responded, "We have been waiting here for an hour, NO WAY!" Sorry people, but if you don't come early, you sit in the back!
DisneyJenn23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:35 PM   #90
missj1975
DIS Veteran

Time for The Spa...

So the night before at Bingo, we won a all day pass for the Rainforest Room at the Vista Spa. Everyone say "Jealous"...or actually save your breathe and don't cause unless you are spa people you won't be jealous and we learned we definitely aren't spa people.

When we got back to our cabin last night, we learned that the Vista Spa had also gifted us with a $30 coupon for a spa treatment. Cool...I thought. I looked at the list of services and called them up to book a pedicure and inquire on how the Rainforest Pass works.

So I called Vista Spa and learned for the Rainforest Pass we can just visit the room all day long without an appointment. The lady said just wear your swimsuits. Ok, sure not a problem since we were planning on stopping by after spending the day at Castaway Cay. So then I tried to make an appointment for a pedicure. The lady informed me the coupon doesn't cover a pedicure, just spa services. Oh silly me for thinking a pedicure was a spa service. So then I ask her, so what does the coupon cover? And she says again "Spa Services." So a salesperson she wasn't cause otherwise she would have went into detail on what services I could get but instead she just said "Spa Services." I said never mind, hung up, and promptly threw away the pointless $30 coupon.

So the next day after enjoying the majority of the day at Castaway Cay, we dropped off our beach bag in our cabin and headed to the Vista Spa. A cast member gave us a tour of the dressing rooms and the Rainforest Room. We then locked our stuff up in the dressing rooms, put robes on over the swimsuits, and headed to the Rainforest Room.

I only took a picture of the dressing room. The Rainforest Room was always packed with people so I didn't feel comfortable taking a picture.

So the Rainforest Room consists of 4 stone chairs that are heated, 4 saunas, and 4 Rainforest Showers. 2 of the showers were broken while we were there. The chairs were occupied so we started by sitting in one of the saunas...for like...2 seconds. Yeah getting steamed like a crab just isn't my idea of fun.

What I really wanted to try was the showers cause I read several trip reports of people just raving about the showers. So we headed for the shower. DH held my robe while I took a shower. I would have loved for him to join me in the shower but I just don't think it would have been a Disney thing to do . The showers have 3 settings...I can't remember the exact names but something like Rainforest....Storm...Relaxing, blah blah blah. OMG, it was a shower, just a freakin shower. I felt so punked. And the worst part was the water was freezing. I prefer hot showers but either hot showers aren't relaxing or I didn't know how to work the darn dials.

So I lasted in the shower for 30 seconds. DH is patiently waiting for me with my robe but I ask him to go grab me a towel. So he leaves for a second and comes back with my towel...and a look on his face that was just . He said "Are you done? I'm out of here." I was like yeah I am done lets go.

So I put on my robe and as we are leaving I notice two older women with towels wrapped around their bodies and no visible bathing suits. Hmmmm....interesting. I only noticed cause I am weird like that.

As soon as we get to the hallway, I am like what the heck is wrong to my DH. Well apparently as he was grabbing me a towel, one of the older ladies decided to climb up onto the rock warming chairs and totally flashed her nether regions to my hubby (by accident of course) but still my dh is forever scarred. I was like that can't be right, the cast members told us we had to wear our swimsuits but apparently someone forgot to tell the older ladies cause they were only wearing their birthday suits under their towels.

So yeah we only lasted five minutes at the spa...which the cast member at the front desk was kind enough to point out. I just played it cool and said "Oh we were just checking the place out, we will be back after dinner." NOT!!!

I am not trying to down the Vista Spa. It was a very nice Spa...everyone was super nice...but lounging around in a rock chair or sweating in a sauna is just not our thing. I would have loved a massage...and I did get one later...by my husband...not a stranger....just the way I like it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: