Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Movies, Books, TV and Music
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2010, 08:48 PM   #16
mjp12831
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistressMerryweather View Post
Exactly how I felt. I was so pleased.
I agree - thought Princess and the Frog was good and this was even a bit better (story wise).

songs are not up to the Beauty, Aladdin, Mermaid run, but have to hear them more. plot was really good and characters were very interesting

3d is a waste - just see it in 2d

WDW Commando member #60
mjp12831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:35 PM   #17
scarscar93
DIS Veteran

I just got back from seeing this, it destroyed my expectations in the best way thinkable.

I can't really say anything bad about this, I personally rank it up there with Little Mermaid.
(which is my favorite movie ever.)

(tumblr)

Last edited by scarscar93; 12-01-2010 at 07:06 PM.
scarscar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-27-2010, 11:00 PM   #18
aquamoptop
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by karly05 View Post

Favorite character: Maximus!! Gold stars all around to his animators; his expressions and mannerisms were priceless. I loved the business when he and Flynn were poking and punching each other like a couple of squabbling kids in the back seat.....I actually thought Mother Gothel was plenty nasty, because, as a manipulative emotional blackmailer, she was the sort of "villain" you might actually have the misfortune to cross paths with in real life (akin to the self-righteous Frollo in HoND or the petty tyrant Dolores Umbridge in Harry Potter).
I 100% agree with these statements!! I read a review where the reviewer stated that they wished the credits wouldve shown the main animators of the characters because of Maximus. They did such an incredible job with Maximus and Pascal!!

Mother Gothel is the worst kind of villain actually. She is phsychologically abusive and cruel without the person even realizing it. I mean if people think she was "too nice" at first then the writers did a great job on her cause I found nothing nice about her.

If your one who doesnt think the music is memorable, go back and see the movie again. I have seen it twice now....once in 3D and once in 2D and now I can get the songs out of my head.

Even my bro-in-law (who is not a princess movie fan) loved the movie. I was shocked when we walked out and he said he liked it better than TS3!!! I did leave the movie feeling the way I did when I first saw The Little Mermaid. I hope Disney thinks twice about this princess movie hault they have been talking about. All they need are the right people in control of these movies. Glen Keane!!! Lassater to make sure its got the heart Pixar movies have. I just saw an interview with Byron Howard and apparently he was a tour guide in Disney MGM in the late 80's for the animation attraction....now he directs this wonderful piece of Disney history....and this is the 50th animated movie.
aquamoptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:01 AM   #19
ntikos
Mouseketeer

I took my 9 year old DD and my 10 year old Goddaughter today.

We loved it! Despite no talking animals, it did create some moments of Disney magic for us.

I thought it was a fresh angle on the Rapunzel story and the dialogue was "modern" but didn't seem out of place in the film.

The girls thought it was a notch or two better than PatF -and I agree.

Great job Disney!

December 1976 - Offsite *April 2000 - Caribbean Beach *May 2007 - Port Orleans Riverside * May 2009 - Beach Club Resort * August 2011 - Beach Club Resort and Beach Club Villas *
ntikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:45 AM   #20
Hoosier37
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp12831 View Post
3d is a waste - just see it in 2d
I loved the 3D - seeing the depth it added to the screen, and that magical moment when the two lanterns were floating right in front of your face and everywhere in the theater I could see these little hands reaching for them (I read about that in a review earlier, so I was watching for that part, so precious to hear all these little voices laughing and see those hands reaching, pure Disney magic).

There is also a scene where a butterfly appears to fly from behind you as you are watching, and into the screen to land on Flynn's face. My daughter was totally impressed by that, and when it happened this little toddler behind me just laughed.

3D is totally the way to go with this movie, IMHO.

(me) (DH) (DS14) (DD11)
Hoosier37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:01 AM   #21
santadog
DIS Veteran

I wonder if all the comparisons to the 1990's "classics" are related to Glen Keane's involvement in this, his first Disney Project since 2003.
santadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:59 PM   #22
StitchAquarius
Earning My Ears

Anyone beside me think Flynn's 2 co-thieves look like Kay from Sword in the Stone?
Old 11-28-2010, 10:16 PM   #23
alaskanmommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarscar93 View Post
I just got back from seeing this, it destroyed my expectations in the best way thinkable.

I can't really say anything bad about this, I personally rank it up there with Little Mermaid.
This is EXACTLY how I felt today after watching Tangled! Three generations of my familys' girls went today and we all loved it. Great humor, action, characters, animation and yes, I even liked the music.

Very PLEASANTLY surprised by this movie and I agree with other posters, up there with The Little Mermaid, except for the songs which were just below LM's caliber. Great movie, can't wait to get it on blu-ray!!

alaskanmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:26 PM   #24
Butterball
Disney Convert

My boyfriend and I are college kids and we went to see spontaneously in 3D. I confess that we went in with low expectations but came out totally in love with the movie. The lantern scene was breath taking!! I definitely cried during some parts.
I didn't feel it was an instant classic yet it it was endearing in its own way.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:54 AM   #25
mjp12831
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier37 View Post
I loved the 3D - seeing the depth it added to the screen, and that magical moment when the two lanterns were floating right in front of your face and everywhere in the theater I could see these little hands reaching for them (I read about that in a review earlier, so I was watching for that part, so precious to hear all these little voices laughing and see those hands reaching, pure Disney magic).

There is also a scene where a butterfly appears to fly from behind you as you are watching, and into the screen to land on Flynn's face. My daughter was totally impressed by that, and when it happened this little toddler behind me just laughed.

3D is totally the way to go with this movie, IMHO.
This is really my point in saying that 3d was a waste - those were the only two scenes in the film that gave the viewer the "wow 3d is cool" thought. The lantern scene was admittedly made for 3d - the butterfly one just seemed like a gratuitous additon for 3d and only lasted a few seconds. Our family discussed it after the film and even the kids (their first 3d film other than the shorts you get at WDW) weren't impressed. These were the only two scenes we could think of where 3d added anyting.

For me, for 3d to be worth the extra ching, I want to have the feeling that 3d added an incredible element to the film (Avitar) rather than having a few memorable moments.

WDW Commando member #60
mjp12831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #26
xJenna
Mouseketeer

I saw it on Thanksgiving with my BF, sister, and our friend and we all loved it. It was my sister's second time seeing it. On black friday I went out and bought all three colors of the Pascal doll at the disney store because I absolutely loved him. My BF and I laughed hysterically when Maximus shredded the paper with his teeth. LOVEDDDD it!
Old 12-16-2010, 03:33 AM   #27
kalvin
Earning My Ears

Most of the children like to watch animated movies & I think new released movie TANGLED is surely liked by Everyone. It's one of the best animated movie of this year..!!!
kalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:37 AM   #28
Hoosier37
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp12831 View Post
This is really my point in saying that 3d was a waste - those were the only two scenes in the film that gave the viewer the "wow 3d is cool" thought. The lantern scene was admittedly made for 3d - the butterfly one just seemed like a gratuitous additon for 3d and only lasted a few seconds. Our family discussed it after the film and even the kids (their first 3d film other than the shorts you get at WDW) weren't impressed. These were the only two scenes we could think of where 3d added anyting.

For me, for 3d to be worth the extra ching, I want to have the feeling that 3d added an incredible element to the film (Avitar) rather than having a few memorable moments.
No, there were a couple of amazing 3D moments, but the entire film had such depth in 3D. I don't think it was a waste, and enjoyed the 3D every moment.

But that's just my opinion

(me) (DH) (DS14) (DD11)
Hoosier37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:24 PM   #29
princess_ariel_85
DIS Veteran

I saw it for the first time yesterday and I loved it. I really want to go back and see it again.

I agree with the people saying that the songs aren't up there with the likes of BatB, Little Mermaid etc but I can honestly say it didn't matter all that much to me (Even though I am really into my disney songs) I felt the film had enough charm and humour to carry it, I enjoyed it that much I hardly thought about how good the songs were lol

I loved Pascal & Maximus, they were brilliant. I also loved Flynn but for me Rapunzel was my favourite. She is so sweet and almost child like as she left the tower. When they got to the kingdom she reminded me of me during my 1st visit to WDW, full of excitement whilst trying to take in all the sites around me.

This film most deffinately ranks among my top 10 Disney films. I'd say one of the best they've done in a while
Old 02-09-2011, 04:26 PM   #30
>Ash<
Sorcerer Of The Magic Kingdom

Brilliant...

I thought it was a classic Disney...

they are slowly bringing back the old Dis style ... Princess & The Frog... Tangled (Rapunzel) its good.... they need more musical Disney movies so that they dont loose the magic they have had for many years... as much as i love Pixar i think they need to make a good Dis classic too...

Tangled was brill and ive seen it 2 already dont think its been a massive success in the UK in gerneral not heard many people that have seen it...

>Ash< is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: