Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2011, 08:39 PM   #61
Anjelica
Self-Declared Queen of WebSphere

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDraper View Post
I'm very angry that they killed the wolf at the end of the last episode. Ned Stark needs to stop being such a panzy.
They said the series was going to stay very "true" to the books. He killed the wolf in the book so it only makes sense he did it on the show. (The wolf looked just like our dog so it was hard to watch - I believe it was played by a siberian husky - most white/gray "wolfs" on tv are actually played by huskies).

I agree with everyone else that each episode is to short. I absolutely love it!!!
Anjelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:57 PM   #62
Halloweenqueen
Whenever Candle Lights Flicker...

Loving the series and very tempted to pick up the books. Worried that it will ruin the enjoyment of the series, knowing what comes next. They say it stays very true to the books.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-26-2011, 12:55 PM   #63
JCJRSmith
US Navy Veteran

I am reading the books again as the show is running. The show is very true to the book, right down to the dialog. For example, the scene where Tyrion smacks Joffrey, followed by him ordering his breakfast - the dialog was almost word for word from the book.

I think the casting so far is spot on. It will be interesting to see who they get to play Gregor Clegane or the Knight of Flowers or Stannis Baratheon. I think the kid playing Joffrey has that character down pat, as does the actor playing Viserys Targeryon. I am not sure about the little girl playing Arya...that will have to wait until after she starts her lessons with Florio.

It took me a while to realize it but the actor playing Joffrey was in Batman Begins. Batman gives him one of his tools, then later Rachel helps rescue him when town starts going crazy.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:13 PM   #64
hulagirl87
DIS Veteran

Love this show!!!!! Just started watching it on HBO on demand last night. I was just going to watch the first episode, but when it ended with that shove out the window I had to watch the second one right away!

me DH DD and DS
hulagirl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:15 PM   #65
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloweenqueen View Post
Loving the series and very tempted to pick up the books. Worried that it will ruin the enjoyment of the series, knowing what comes next. They say it stays very true to the books.
I just read a summary of the book and it didn't ruin it for me. It only makes me excited to see how HBO will put it together on screen.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:08 PM   #66
Minnie's Pal
Wants to float above Castaway Cay with dh

After all of the hype, I DVR'd the first episode & I'm completely hooked on the series. Not sure if I'll read the books (it's always hard to read a book after having watched it on tv.)

The episodes definitely do not seem long enough (it seems more like 30 minutes than an hour.)

DCL/Wonder (3n) - May 2004
POP CENTURY - October 2010, May 2005 * ALL STAR MUSIC - Nov 2002 * DIXIE LANDINGS -2000
Minnie's Pal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:50 PM   #67
GingerJay
DIS Veteran

I'm super addicted to the series, now. I dug out my Game of Thrones novel to try to read it now that I get the characters better. I never even got through the first couple of chapters when I started reading the first time because I got lost in all the characters

Can't wait till next Sunday!

February 2008: Contemporary Resort
March 2010: Windsor Hills
GingerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:47 AM   #68
ZephyrHawk
I can nicker too, but I'm not nearly as embarrassed about that
Please don't ski with your kid on a leash
I firmly believe in ghostly figments of my imagination

The casting has been good. I've seen bits and pieces of the guy who plays Littlefinger and I think he's going to be the best of the bunch.

It's good we finally got to see a little more of the wolves in this episode, although Greywind, Ghost and Shaggy Dog have been noticably absent (I did see Ghost in a group scene, but only for a second).

Things I think the series could do some more work on:

Does anyone who is not familiar with the books know that there is a difference between Rob Stark and Theon Greyjoy? Does anyone even know Theon's there? If so, they certainly don't know why he's hanging around or what his relationship is to anyone else.

Where the heck is Rickon? At least he got a mention in this episode.

Jamie is a knight. He is the premiere knight of the realm. He will kick your behind one handed. It's one reason why his deplorable actions have such impact. From watching the series, he appears to be just a layabout brother to the queen who follows her around for no reason.

Polynesian Village (1983), Polynesian Village (1986), Grand Floridian (1989), All Star Sports (1997), Disneyland (1998), All Star Movies (2000), Port Orleans - French Quarter (2001), All Star Music (2002), Disneyland (2004), Wilderness Lodge (2007), Pop Century (2010), Saratoga Springs (2013), and Disney Land and Sea Extravaganza - Fantasy/Villas at Wilderness Lodge (coming Dec 2015)
ZephyrHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:04 PM   #69
MomofKatie
Maybe if you leave some chocolate under your pillow the Tag Fairy will visit you!
In the second grade I looked like a mini senior citizen!
"Dairy World?" "Fairy World." "OH, DARN IT!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZephyrHawk View Post
Jamie is a knight. He is the premiere knight of the realm. He will kick your behind one handed. It's one reason why his deplorable actions have such impact. From watching the series, he appears to be just a layabout brother to the queen who follows her around for no reason.
They did establish that Jamie is known as the "Kingslayer" and that he was the one to actually kill the former King. He also showed, IMO, how ruthless he can be by throwing a child out of a tower window. Overall, I know he isn't just the Queen's icky twin, and I knew nothing about the books when I started watching the HBO series...
MomofKatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #70
cabanafrau
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The casting has been good. I've seen bits and pieces of the guy who plays Littlefinger and I think he's going to be the best of the bunch.

It's good we finally got to see a little more of the wolves in this episode, although Greywind, Ghost and Shaggy Dog have been noticably absent (I did see Ghost in a group scene, but only for a second).

Things I think the series could do some more work on:

Does anyone who is not familiar with the books know that there is a difference between Rob Stark and Theon Greyjoy? Does anyone even know Theon's there? If so, they certainly don't know why he's hanging around or what his relationship is to anyone else.

Where the heck is Rickon? At least he got a mention in this episode.

Haven't seen the Littlefinger casting, but I agree w/ your other thoughts.

I was disappointed in the 1st episode that the wolves weren't more front & center in the story, so much symbolism there.

I know it's not possible, because it would take dozens & dozens of episodes to cover book one alone, but we're also missing a lot about the people crucial to Winterfell, Mikken, Luwin, Nan, Hodor, etc.
cabanafrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #71
hellokitty86
If I didn't wear it myself- I would want my husband to wear it!
DH does call me a toilet paper snob
Did the lovebugs bother you too, like they bothered me??!

We enjoyed the recent episode more than the premiere...the first 2 shows were a little too dark for me.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #72
Nik's Mom
Karl Pilkington is a genius

This show gets better every episode! I'm tempted to read the books now.

Proud Mom to 2 boys, and wife to a great husband!
Nik's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:03 PM   #73
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

I looked on my library's web catalog and could only find what I thought was the 2nd book. When I checked the stacks Game of Thrones was there! Just in time b/c DH just finished his other book. I'll download the ePub on to my Nook and he can have the hardcover. I can't wait to read it!
Old 04-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #74
ZephyrHawk
I can nicker too, but I'm not nearly as embarrassed about that
Please don't ski with your kid on a leash
I firmly believe in ghostly figments of my imagination

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty86 View Post
We enjoyed the recent episode more than the premiere...the first 2 shows were a little too dark for me.
Okay, I wasn't going to comment again today but I almost spit out my pop reading this. Hellokitty, I'm assuming you haven't read the books. Hint: Things do not get brighter.

Polynesian Village (1983), Polynesian Village (1986), Grand Floridian (1989), All Star Sports (1997), Disneyland (1998), All Star Movies (2000), Port Orleans - French Quarter (2001), All Star Music (2002), Disneyland (2004), Wilderness Lodge (2007), Pop Century (2010), Saratoga Springs (2013), and Disney Land and Sea Extravaganza - Fantasy/Villas at Wilderness Lodge (coming Dec 2015)
ZephyrHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:18 AM   #75
muffyn
"hmmm*

Quote:
Okay, I wasn't going to comment again today but I almost spit out my pop reading this. Hellokitty, I'm assuming you haven't read the books. Hint: Things do not get brighter.

an off note.
did any of you read a series about thomas covenant? a leper who went to a nother "world".
talk about things not getting brighter

that series was one dire/despair/event after another

but still a good read

OH ^ ^ on topic,, I was wondering about the dogs.... where are the rest of them?
muffyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: