Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2011, 10:00 PM   #16
Kitzka
DIS Veteran

DH is a big fan of the books. The 5th(?) one comes out this summer.

I can't wait for the series to start on Sunday!

Lara
Old 04-15-2011, 09:43 AM   #17
ZephyrHawk
I can nicker too, but I'm not nearly as embarrassed about that
Please don't ski with your kid on a leash
I firmly believe in ghostly figments of my imagination

DH and I actually changed our cable package, mostly in order to watch this miniseries. So yes, I'll be watching on Sunday.

And for fans of Chuck, anyone catch this week's homage to the books? "Come on Eddard, who lets their kids keep a dire wolf?!"

Polynesian Village (1983), Polynesian Village (1986), Grand Floridian (1989), All Star Sports (1997), Disneyland (1998), All Star Movies (2000), Port Orleans - French Quarter (2001), All Star Music (2002), Disneyland (2004), Wilderness Lodge (2007), Pop Century (2010), Saratoga Springs (2013), and Disney Land and Sea Extravaganza - Fantasy/Villas at Wilderness Lodge (coming Dec 2015)
ZephyrHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-15-2011, 11:00 AM   #18
cabanafrau
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJRSmith View Post
I got hooked on that series of books after I read a preview of the first chapter of the first book, Game of Thrones. The characters in the books are brutal people, and I hope it carries over to the screen.

My favorite characters are Jon Snow, Ned Stark, and Tyrion Lannister.
Add Arya to that list of favorites & we're in agreement. I've been dying to see book five largely because of her story.

I was a bit thrown off watching the 15 min preview. It didn't seem to start where book one did & most of the actors didn't fit the ideas in my head from the books, Ned & Katelyn Stark in particular.
cabanafrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:56 PM   #19
momrek06
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OPShell Smuggler!
BEE FRAGMENTS??? I do NOT eat bees!!

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/426169...entertainment/

Game of Thrones' lives up to the hype

HBO's new fantasy series pairs dense mythology with crowd-pleasing elements of war, honor, pride, lust, power

LOS ANGELES — Barely a few minutes into HBO's epic "Game of Thrones" series, it's clear that the hype was right and the wait was worth it.
Based on the bestselling fantasy book series "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R.R. Martin often referred to as "the American Tolkien" HBO is betting that fans of "The Lord of the Rings" will come to this for a sprawling, interwoven tale of feuding families, swords, sex, carnage, beasts, frayed loyalties, deception, intrigue and the pursuit of power.
As well they should. "Game of Thrones" has all the elements (many described above) that lure viewers to shows like "The Sopranos," et al. That it's a fantasy series shouldn't scare anyone away, because like "Lord of the Rings" there's a real allure to costume-dramas that pair dense mythology with all of the crowd-pleasing elements of war, honor, pride, lust, power and, yes, even humor. Thrones has all of those in spades and supports them with exceptional storytelling, strong writing, superb acting and some stunning visual effects.

Writers and executive producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss will certainly have their hands full dealing with die-hard fans on what they got right or wrong (or left out or put in that may have not been in the books), but they have the backing of Martin, who worked closely with the duo, and that should count for a lot. Perhaps more important to those people who haven't read the books or heard much about this series, Benioff and Weiss kick things off immediately with action, blood-shed and eeriness. Director Tim Van Patten creates a beautiful, haunting, visual template of vast expanses (Northern Ireland, Malta), white snow and dark shadows while also allowing the visual effects to pack a wallop.

That kind of start to the 10-part series was essential because "Game of Thrones" is a complicated story with numerous characters and a dense, interwoven back-story. Though it demands attention, "Thrones" never once bogs down. It's the kind of drama where, when the first episode ends, you wish the nine others were immediately available. And that validates HBO's notion that television is the perfect medium for a fantasy series done right. Getting Martin's "Thrones," the gold-standard, could end up landing HBO its next franchise.

"Thrones" is set in the fictional land of Westeros, where various clans or houses — have lived and fought for generations in different realms, until the Targaryens invaded and united the Seven Kingdoms under the Iron Throne. Now, years later, there's a battle for the throne.

It's actually not as confusing as it may sound. And there are more than a few unexpected surprises and even humorous detours (mostly provided by Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister whose whoring and drinking knows no bounds). A great series should challenge viewers to pay attention, to connect dots and anticipate connections. "Thrones" manages a superior complexity without ever making you think that you've lost the connection to the story. It's paced with precision and the carefully crafted assemblage of characters unspools at such a rate that you can keep up while keeping tabs on their ever changing moods.

What that means, essentially, is that there's a tight grip on the storytelling and a real understanding of who each person is traits that make the complexity easier to bear.

It's difficult to single out the most accomplished parts of "Thrones." The ambition is immense, the fantasy world exceptionally well-conceived, the writing and acting elevating the entire series beyond contemporaries like "The Borgias" and "Camelot," and the visual appeal continues to surprise with each episode.

What we have here is the successful pairing of an acclaimed collection of fantasy books with a television series that illuminates and expands what's on the page.

Worth the wait? Absolutely. And even if you have no idea what all the fuss is about, you should get in from the start to absorb Martin's fantastical tale.

KAR

momrek06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:47 PM   #20
Hidden_Mickey
DIS Veteran

Droooool....
Old 04-16-2011, 10:14 AM   #21
suejai
DIS Veteran

I am very excited about this show, like a pp we changed our cable package to watch the show as well . I started reading the series right at the beginning and have been waiting years for George Martin to finish it; I'd pretty much given up and now it looks as if he will actually get it done

The casting for the show, based on the previews, looks pretty good I think. I'm not sure about the dire wolves though, the one picture I saw looked like a dog, so we will see.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:27 AM   #22
Lifelong_Dreamer
DIS Veteran

Love the books and can't wait for the show.
Lifelong_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #23
KDIPIAZZ
Mouseketeer

Just ordered HBO - there's no way i want to wait for the series on DVD.

And I am waiting VERY VERY impatiently for A Dance of Dragons, which is FINALLY supposed to be released on 7-12.
KDIPIAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:31 PM   #24
momrek06
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OPShell Smuggler!
BEE FRAGMENTS??? I do NOT eat bees!!

DH and I watched "The Making of Game of Thrones" on HBO and I highly recommend to all of you to watch it!!! It's awesome!!! We are so excited for tomorrow night!!!

KAR

momrek06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:38 AM   #25
DonDraper
Mouseketeer

Sunday TV nights are becoming dangerously addictive .. 60 minutes, Amazing Race, Celebrity Apprentice, The Borgias, The Killing, Game of Thrones... yikes!
DonDraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:14 AM   #26
Pig Pen
To all who have come to this happy place...welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDraper View Post
Sunday TV nights are becoming dangerously addictive .. 60 minutes, Amazing Race, Celebrity Apprentice, The Borgias, The Killing, Game of Thrones... yikes!
And sometime soon...Mad Men! Love The Killing btw.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:01 AM   #27
Pig Pen

Question...is the mini-series based on the first book only? Or the entire series?
Old 04-17-2011, 09:48 AM   #28
ZephyrHawk
I can nicker too, but I'm not nearly as embarrassed about that
Please don't ski with your kid on a leash
I firmly believe in ghostly figments of my imagination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Pen View Post
Question...is the mini-series based on the first book only? Or the entire series?
The first book only. The series is technically not finished (a sore point with fans) and even so is ungodly long (not Wheel of Time long yet, but still...).

Polynesian Village (1983), Polynesian Village (1986), Grand Floridian (1989), All Star Sports (1997), Disneyland (1998), All Star Movies (2000), Port Orleans - French Quarter (2001), All Star Music (2002), Disneyland (2004), Wilderness Lodge (2007), Pop Century (2010), Saratoga Springs (2013), and Disney Land and Sea Extravaganza - Fantasy/Villas at Wilderness Lodge (coming Dec 2015)
ZephyrHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #29
MushyMushy
Marseeya Here!
Drama Magnet
I only make exceptions for chocolate Mickey heads
I'm a big pie freak
I'll always laugh myself silly over the flag pole incident.

Tonight, tonight, tonight!

I have my DVR set and I'm going to be planted in front of the tv all evening. Wow, I haven't been this excited about a show in a very long time. From the 15 minute preview HBO put up, I think it's going to be great.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:06 AM   #30
Pig Pen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZephyrHawk View Post
The first book only. The series is technically not finished (a sore point with fans) and even so is ungodly long (not Wheel of Time long yet, but still...).
Yay. I just found the books and didn't want to watch the series until I finished the books. If I had to read ALL of them first it would be years!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: