Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
cats3mom
Earning My Ears

Please don't buy on ebay

I just returned home from the first Alaskan cruise on the Disney Wonder. Although the cruise line now handles the sale of pins in a very civilized manner (you pick up a wrist band and then return at your leisure to purchase your pins) the sale of other merchandise is very poorly handled. We did not even get to see much of the special merchandise for this cruise, as a few disneypigs bought out entire fixtures of merchandise. I now see that some of this merchandise is already for sale on ebay, at inflated prices. Please, don't reward these disneypigs by purchasing anything from this cruise on ebay.
cats3mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

That's unfortunate.

Did you join DIS just to post this request? You must feel very passionate about it. I hope you had a great cruise!

Welcome to the DISBoards!

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-15-2011, 02:38 AM   #4
WvT3rd
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats3mom View Post
I just returned home from the first Alaskan cruise on the Disney Wonder. Although the cruise line now handles the sale of pins in a very civilized manner (you pick up a wrist band and then return at your leisure to purchase your pins) the sale of other merchandise is very poorly handled. We did not even get to see much of the special merchandise for this cruise, as a few disneypigs bought out entire fixtures of merchandise. I now see that some of this merchandise is already for sale on ebay, at inflated prices. Please, don't reward these disneypigs by purchasing anything from this cruise on ebay.
That's nothing. We were on the first Panama Canal Trip. People lined up the night before to get pins. One loonnnggg streach from fore to aft. And yes, as soon as we got home we checked Ebay. Pins were there. My wife still has a scar from the special merchandise when this Pig basically brought a shelf full of pins down so he could grab them.

But please, use Ebay responsibly. It's not Ebay's fault it's the site of choice (then again, Marketing would probably disagree).
Old 05-15-2011, 10:12 AM   #5
engle
DIS Veteran

I was on that trip. It was poorly handled. And the passengers poorly behaved. I think they should do wristbands for Inaugural merchandise too. There was no chance of me getting any because I was not interested in clawing my way into the shop 3 minutes after it opened...or the next day either!! It was CRAZY. I didn't really care if I got that stuff but it would have been nice to have the option. I didn't even get a look at it.
engle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
socakitty
Earning My Ears

We were on the cruise too and people were going nuts in the shop all week.. I wish I had been able to at least see all the merchandise in person (especially the totems).. but I am not going to buy it on ebay. We were able to get the red Alaskan t-shirts for me and the hubby and that was great for us..

Other than that we had a great time, Alaska is beautiful and we were able to book another cruise on the ship (though I do recommend getting there 10 mins before they open and sit in the chairs in front of the desk and read) so you won't have the long lines later, there was a lot of people re-booking on board..
April 27, 2011 DCL LA-Vancouver Repo with the in-laws
May 3, 2011 DCL 1st Alaskan Cruise with the in-laws
May 20, 2013 DCL LA-Vancouver Repo with the in-laws
May 27, 2013 DCL Alaskan Cruise with the in-laws
May 2013 Joined DVC, Home Resort is Aulani!!
Feb 2014 Walt Disney World -
DVC Animal Kingdom & DVC Old Key West
socakitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:02 PM   #7
marhs
DIS Veteran

Really? That is crazy! So on regular (not the first) DCL cruises, do I have to wait in line to get some pins? Or is this just because it was special inaugural cruise merchandise for only that one single cruise?
marhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:37 PM   #8
PURTYPAT1
DIS Veteran

Just my opinion but I think you should be mad at Disney, for not making a limit on it. In these situations people always tend to take advantage.

Just like Black Friday people are waiting in line for hours when the store opens they push there way in. It's dangerous. It sounds like you experienced the same on the ship

In this economy people are trying to make a buck or a living. Write to Disney and let them know they should have a limit people won't take advantage. They need to change the rules so this won't happen.
2/14/09 "7-Night Eastern Caribbean" Magic
6/16/07 MedHead Cruiser "Mediterranean Magic"
trip report 2/13/10 http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2403413
PURTYPAT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:40 PM   #9
WvT3rd
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PURTYPAT1 View Post
Just my opinion but I think you should be mad at Disney, for not making a limit on it. In these situations people always tend to take advantage.

In this economy people are trying to make a buck or a living. Write to Disney and let them know they should have a limit people won't take advantage. They need to change the rules so this won't happen.

Actually, I don't blame Disney. On the Transatlantic Cruise we took, we actually had a chance to meet the head of merchandising. She told us that she warned the cruise line that they were stocking too few items for such a trip (the first one, right!). And since then they learned their lesson. On the Transatlantic we were able to buy what we wanted with no problems. They do learn, and hopefully they continue to make adjustments. I know they have in the past.
But the main thing is don't blame Ebay.
Walter
Old 05-16-2011, 02:16 AM   #10
HiMagicFan
DIS Veteran

there will always be people

who ruin it for the rest of us.

Disney should listen cuz I like the idea of a limit per person per day of the cruise.

There is always so much interest in Disney items that this would be a good thing. Either that or they should stock more.

The sad thing is that these are adults who do this ~ not kids.
HiMagicFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:18 AM   #11
HiMagicFan
DIS Veteran

Wrist Bands

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats3mom View Post
I just returned home from the first Alaskan cruise on the Disney Wonder. Although the cruise line now handles the sale of pins in a very civilized manner (you pick up a wrist band and then return at your leisure to purchase your pins).
When do you get the wrist bands? Do you need them to buy all pins or just certain Alaskan pins?
HiMagicFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:36 AM   #12
thefist
Earning My Ears

How ironic these people can't even control themselves on a disney cruise. Shame.
thefist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:21 PM   #13
JoeSchmieg
DVC Memeber - BCV AKV

Was on the Dream Maiden Voyage and the same thing happened. The "collectibles" we handled EXCELLENT with people showing up at various times to pick up what they had ordered previously.

The merch was a joke. I wanted a hat and could not find and since it was "Maiden Voyage" they were not taking orders. BUT.. My wife wanted an Inaugural D&B hand bag, and they were totally sold out in minutes, She simply placed an order and had it two weeks later. Since we are not selling on EBAY we were okay with the delay in getting the merch... So lesson learned... If there is something you want.. Ask for it!

If you are listening Disney you need to start including the special merchandise in the buying of the collectibles and LIMIT people. Give everyone a chance. For these Maiden / Inaugural voyages EVERYONE is paying a premium to be there and should be able to buy a damn hat if they want.

I will NEVER do another maiden / Inaugural voyage with Disney.
JoeSchmieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:40 AM   #14
cats3mom
Earning My Ears

I did write to Disney, suggesting that they prepare a catalog in advance to show the items available, and allow cruisers to pre-purchase, with a limit of 2.

I was also on the first Panama Canal cruise and experienced that insanity; that was 2005, so it seems like the cruise line should have learned by now.

And I didn't mean to imply that any fault lies with ebay; just with the disneypigs who try to sell these items, through any outlet.

They will tell you when you can get the wrist band for the pins and you have a window of several hours, so don't have to rush to get it, although of course people did line up for it (are there some Disney people who will line up for anything? I'm thinking about starting a rumor about lining up to get a special pin, and seeing how many people show up and how long they will wait ) and then you have several days to go back and purchase the pins. You can pick and choose which pins to buy, no need to buy them all if you don't want them all.

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

And happy cruising to all!
cats3mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:03 PM   #15
revans00
Earning My Ears

Or not even use wrist bands. Since all purchases are against the room keys, the sales systems can keep track of purchases and impose limits.

It's a shame that there are those FEW who make the rest of the civilized passengers have to suffer.

Another option would be to make purchases available online after the cruise. Again the system can track limits per passenger / stateroom as appropriate. I, personally, would very much appreciate not having to pack purchases back home in my luggage and would gladly pay the shipping. Just post a private link against our cruise history on the DCL site which would come live upon return.

$0.02 debit.
revans00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, cruise, disneypigs

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: