Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2010, 08:02 AM   #31
DadwhoLOVESDisney
Earning My Ears

Monday Continued: Dinner @ 1900 Park Fare

After we had made our initial reservations 2 months ago, we invited our friends to join us. Since we couldn’t get a reservation for 9, I made a second reservation for 5 and hoped that I could eventually get them combined. The concierge at AKL tried, but was unsuccessful. I went 45 minutes early and the woman at the check-in station was extremely helpful. She adjusted our reservation and we were good to go.

They seated us quickly and after our first trip through the buffet, Drusilla, one of the step-sisters dropped by the table. Within moments she had wished our daughter a happy-birthday and made googly eyes with our 10 year old son.

Drusilla started talking about being engaged. The table loved it…my son, not so much. But he was a good sport and got up and took a “family photograph” with his fiancée and her new inlaws. She talked about how David’s sisters would be their servants – and she was sure they’d be better at taking care of her than Cinderella was. She was hilarious.

A few minutes later, she reentered the dining room and yelled “yoo hoo, David!” from about 3 tables away. We were so impressed she remembered his name. 10 minutes later, she came back by and found David. She yelled for her mother and the stepmother came over and started asking my son questions about the ring.

When Prince Charming entered, Drusilla introduced David as her fiancé. He wished them a happy marriage. During dessert, the two step-sisters started fighting (across about 3 tables) about whether Drusilla would really marry our son. The stepsisters really played their parts well.

While dinner was just okay (one picture below), Drusilla and the other characters really made the dinner fun. We didn’t interact much with Cinderella – but she did come by and the 2 year old really liked her. And my hat’s off to my daughter. This was her birthday dinner celebration – but all the attention was on her brother David. Turns out that she says that the interactions with Drusilla was one of her favorite moments of the vacation! My son: not so much. But he does enjoy us telling the story of the stepsisters fighting over him : )

Clockwise from left: chicken, beef, pork, edamame bean salad, pork stir fry, and green beans.

I took this picture because of all the food choices on a buffet, my son chose rice and corn. DDP Dad pushed down the inner frugal dad who wasn’t getting his value and DDP Dad said to son: “mmm, the rice and corn looks good.”

Frankly, the table server wasn’t all that great. It wasn’t worth an 18% gratuity – but since there were 8 of us, it wasn’t an option. I guess it’s hard for every waiter to be friendly and attentive…but the stepsisters more than made up for it. Perhaps the step sisters get part of the gratuities?

Total Disney Table Service Credits Used: 4
Cost w/o DDP: $153 + tip ($38 pp)
Total OOP: $26 for a tip.

Total Cost for the Day:
4 QS
1 Snack
4 TS
Total OOP for Monday: $41
DadwhoLOVESDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:17 AM   #32
OurDogCisco
DIS Veteran

LOL... your poor son. That would have been fun to watch.
OurDogCisco is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-26-2010, 12:03 PM   #33
nessz79
DIS Veteran

How much fun! I am loving the interaction you all got at 1900 Park Fare!

Also, it's so funny how "frugal Dad" never really goes away- sounds just like my DH!
Old 11-26-2010, 03:53 PM   #34
lissawynn
I drink Coke with everything.
Don't know why but I've never been on the carousel!

We had the exact same characters at our PF dinner back in July of 2009. They were hilarious and totally worth the trip. The food, however, was not. I was also very disappointed in the service. We literally had piles of dirty dishes on our table, and our server was nowhere to be found until it was time to give us the bill and get paid.
Character interaction was awesome; the food was not.
1996 - CBR and WL
2002 - WL honeymoon
2003 - CBR & MNSSHP
June 2004 - WL w/my sisters and nephew
July 2005 - Jimmy's first trip to WDW!
July 2006 -Dad's first trip to WDW with his boys!
June 2008 - First family trip & Annabel's first trip!
September 2008 - Girls' Trip!
March 2009 - Girls' Trip with Robin and Judy
July 2009 - Sisters' trip with the kids
June/July 2010 - Family trip #2!
June 2011 Kids,Auntie, Grammy
June 2012 Family Trip
lissawynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:06 PM   #35
The_Aviator
Mouseketeer

AHH!!!! I'm scared now, hopefully they don't do the same thing to me lol :P

We are going for my sister's birthday

2002: Disneyland and Californian Adventure - Offsite
2006: WDW - Disney's Wilderness Lodge
2007: Disneyland Resort Paris - Disney's Sequoia Lodge
2008: Tokyo Disney Resort - Hilton @ Tokyo Disney Resort
2010: HK Disneyland - Offsite
2010: WDW - Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
The_Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:57 AM   #36
lynn46356
DIS Veteran

We (girlfriends) have an adr for dinner here and have never been here before. I'm not really going for the characters (its a leave the husbands and kids at home trip). We all have boys so this is one of the places we'd never have an adr for. Not sure I want to keep it! Would you go back??? Thanks!
Old 11-27-2010, 01:26 PM   #37
SlightlyGoofy
I shall be forced to take you on an endless tour
I know where some of your favorite spots are

Be still

My beloved WGP Butternut Squash Soup counts as a snack? Be still my beating heart. Can one use all 28 snack credits on one food?

Great reviews and pictures. Thrifty never completely goes away. I know.

Slightly Goofy who will be checking in tomorrow for TWO weeks!

We just moved to our Happy Place
All Star Sports is our second home!!
SlightlyGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:37 PM   #38
auntfrannie
DIS Veteran

I'm glad your son was a good sport about the new woman in his life! I love it when the characters get the older boys involved. Minnie made a BIG fuss over my then 15 yr old nephew at LTT years ago and he still can't live it down!

Great reviews!
auntfrannie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:25 PM   #39
fzgards
Earning My Ears

good picture,thanks for sharing
fzgards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:24 PM   #40
DadwhoLOVESDisney
Earning My Ears

Tuesday: Hang out and use 2 extra TS credits at Kona’s, QS at Mara’s at AKL

Tuesday:

Breakfast in the room. Ran out of milk so had to buy a half gallon in the little store:
OOP $3.

Later in the week three of us are going to Hoop De Doo Revue (my wife wasn’t interested – so she and the 2 year old are staying home). Since HDDR takes 2 credits each, that leaves 2 extra TS credits. So we figured we’d try out a new restaurant and have the kids order off the regular kids menu or pick from the main menu.

We had lunch at Kona’s. Overall the food was pretty good – but frugal dad had a hard time remembering he was DDP Dad since the adults were on meal plan and the three kids were ordering off the menu (kids portions are generally plenty of food for our kids).

My wife ordered the asian stir fry and I had the teriyaki steak. Both were quite good. Two kids had hot dogs and salads and our daughter had a salad and ravioli. All seemed fine. I had the crème brulee for dessert (pretty good), wife had an apple thing (beautiful and tasted good), two kids had ice cream and third had fruit salad.

Asian Stir Fry

Teriyaki Steak

Since this is an experiment btw the dining plan and not a plan – this lunch was an interesting test since the adults were on plan and the kids weren’t. Overall, I’d have to say that it wasn’t a great experience. Lunch was essentially $10 a kid for okay food. As for the adults, we avoided a $25 cost per person and since the dining plan costs $42 a day – I didn’t see how we’d eat $17 worth of quick service and a snack today. But we’ll see. (Note: turned out we did spend more than $17).

Apple Turnover Dessert thing

Creme Brulee

The other downside is that frugal dad failed to read the fine print. I had reviews of other people and seen that they had ordered an appetizer, entrée and dessert. I thought we could skip a kids meal or two and share our entrees and appetizers. I hadn’t noticed that you only get an entrée with the Deluxe DDP – and only figured it out that morning. So that was a bit of a downer – but completely my fault. (And by the way, how do people eat that much food on the Deluxe DDP? We’re stuffed with 2 meals a day. Of course, I’d be willing to try!).

Cost:

Total Disney Table Service Credits Used: 2 + $7.50 for tip
Cost w/o DDP: $50 ($25pp)

OOP: $31.75 (3 kids meals) + $7.50 tip = $39.25

After we finished lunch, we went back to AKL to hang out by the pool. We used our QS meals at the Mara at Jambo House. We thought the food was great – and when I did add in the snack, we did spend more than $17. So when we combine the Kona meals with the QS meals at the Mara, we at least broke even. My daughter and I had the African Stew (sorry, no picture), my wife had the Chicken Flatbread, and my son had chicken strips. I really liked the stew – my daughter not so much. She thought it was too spicy. My wife really liked the flatbread and the little bit she let me try, I enjoyed as well. And my son was a fan of the chicken strips – it was definitely chicken (unlike the chicken in the kids meals – which makes you wonder). Since there were several desserts to choose from – as well as more drink offerings than the standard options in the park – this ended up being a great place to eat. We stayed at Wilderness Lodge in 2009 and their quick service restaurant was tiny and didn’t have nearly the choices. We ended up eating here again later in the trip.
INSERT PICS

Chicken flatbread—interesting flavor we liked a lot

Zebra Domes – one of my favorite desserts. Light filling on the inside with white chocolate (?) coating. Was great.

Total Disney Quick Service Credits Used: 4
Cost w/o DDP: $61

Total Cost for the Day:
4 QS
0 Snack
2 TS
Total OOP for Monday: $41
Old 12-04-2010, 11:37 PM   #41
DadwhoLOVESDisney
Earning My Ears

Sorry for such a long delay in posting. Once we got home we were up to our eyeballs in catch up -- at work, at home -- and then there was Thanksgiving and now we've been working on Christmas decorations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkxray View Post
Joining in. I am loving your reviews. We did a split stay last trip with part dining plan, part OOP. DH was in charge of the food choices when we were OOP and it was such a difference than when we were on DDP.

WPE looks fantastic. We will have to try it next trip.
There is a difference between the two plans -- but I'm still torn. For us, there really are pros and cons. Maybe by the time I finish this review I will have come to a definitive conclusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDogCisco View Post
LOL... your poor son. That would have been fun to watch.
It was fun. And he really was a good sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessz79 View Post
How much fun! I am loving the interaction you all got at 1900 Park Fare!

Also, it's so funny how "frugal Dad" never really goes away- sounds just like my DH!
Frugal dad NEVER goes away...no matter how hard he tries

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissawynn View Post
We had the exact same characters at our PF dinner back in July of 2009. They were hilarious and totally worth the trip. The food, however, was not. I was also very disappointed in the service. We literally had piles of dirty dishes on our table, and our server was nowhere to be found until it was time to give us the bill and get paid.
Character interaction was awesome; the food was not.
Our service was better than that...but not much better. It was good that we had a large table and could push plates to the center. Characters more than made up for the wait staff though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn46356 View Post
We (girlfriends) have an adr for dinner here and have never been here before. I'm not really going for the characters (its a leave the husbands and kids at home trip). We all have boys so this is one of the places we'd never have an adr for. Not sure I want to keep it! Would you go back??? Thanks!
It was definitely worth it for us -- but I'm not sure I'd do that exact dinner again. But I like trying new things -- and it'd be hard for them to exceed the experience we had.

While I highly recommend it -- and I'm not a girl -- I'm not sure my wife would pick that location for a girls night out (unless you're really into the characters -- and it sounds like you're not). But I think I should let the women on the boards give you an answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlightlyGoofy View Post
My beloved WGP Butternut Squash Soup counts as a snack? Be still my beating heart. Can one use all 28 snack credits on one food?

Great reviews and pictures. Thrifty never completely goes away. I know.

Slightly Goofy who will be checking in tomorrow for TWO weeks!
I hope you are having a wonderful time (and I'm sure you are). Two weeks sounds awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntfrannie View Post
I'm glad your son was a good sport about the new woman in his life! I love it when the characters get the older boys involved. Minnie made a BIG fuss over my then 15 yr old nephew at LTT years ago and he still can't live it down!

Great reviews!
We certainly didn't expect our son to be so included -- so it was a wonderful surprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzgards View Post
good picture,thanks for sharing
Thanks for reading!
Old 12-05-2010, 12:56 PM   #42
CoolPool
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadwhoLOVESDisney View Post

At the table, everyone’s unhappy with their food. Wife reminds me that it might have been a good idea to share the plan to try out unique foods from Africa BEFORE we get to the food line. I think she has a good point. A very good point! I explain to the kids some of what we were trying to do (get small tastes of foods that we would never get in Houston). I also explain that they don’t have to eat everything on their plate – but they do have to get a lot of different things—with very small portions – and tell the rest of us about what they like and what’s “not they’re favorite” (that’s the phrase they’re allowed to use at home when they don’t like something).

We go up to the food lines again and things go MUCH better. I ask my son to pick out a few things from each station to try. We all head back with our second plates and try out a variety of items.
You and your wife are great! Just had to point that out!
CoolPool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:47 PM   #43
Stepharia
DIS Veteran

Location: Louisville, KY soon to be living closer to the Mouse

Loved reading about your son and his "soon to be bride" at 1900 PF. We absolutely love that one because of the interaction with the step-sisters. Can't wait til we are there next week!!! Enjoying your reviews!!!

CBR 12/2010 * CSR 6/2009 * Swan, Nick Hotel, Gaylord 3/2008 * AKL 12/2007 * AKL 3/2007 * POP 6/2007 * ASMu 10/2005 * ASMo 09/2003 * ASSp 10/2001 * CBR 08/1997, 06/1995 * Off Site 1985, 1977
Stepharia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:00 PM   #44
OurDogCisco
DIS Veteran

Great update!!! don't worry about being behind on your reviews. Everyone understands just as long as you finish it eventually.... LOL...
OurDogCisco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:09 AM   #45
cymbaldiva
DIS Veteran

waiting......

Tags
ddp, ddp comparison

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: