Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2010, 06:42 AM   #16
DadwhoLOVESDisney
Earning My Ears

Friday: Magic Kingdom Day #1

Friday: Magic Kingdom Day #1

We ate a quick breakfast in the condo. We brought a bag of snacks (see picture below) and 5 bottles of water for the park. Stuffed all of it in the bin under the stroller. I thought that the security guard might look at us funny given all of the snacks and drinks – but she didn’t flinch in the slightest.

Note: we also had a bag of grapes and some wheat thins that didn’t make it into the picture (so it wasn’t all junk food : )

Snack:
Frugal dad quickly agrees to popcorn purchase (I like popcorn!). Kids go purchase popcorn while dad holds down the parade spot. Daughter comes back with popcorn and a Mickey Mouse chocolate ice cream bar. “Dad, the nice man said happy birthday and here’s some ice cream.” Score! Popcorn and some free ice cream. Cost $4.75

Lunch
We ate for the first time at Columbia House. Parents each got salads. Daughter got fried shrimp. Two kids meals for youngest. One soft drink. Bottled water for mom and daughter. Food was okay. Nothing special. Cost: $40

Snack:
We all really like turkey legs. A lot! But because daughter was distracted with pin shopping, we ended up with only one turkey leg. Excellent for Dad and Son! Cost $8. Forgot to take a picture. The men folk in the family were too energized by gnawing on turkey to stop and take photographs.

Dinner:
The park closed at 7 for Mickey’s Christmas party. After what seemed like a VERY long boat ride back to the transportation center, we drove home. Picked up 2 large pizzas from Papa John’s. Total cost: $21.55 plus drinks and bottled water that we had already bought from the grocery store. No pictures. Regular papa john pizza. Nothing special.

Total OOP Cost: ~$74.50 
DadwhoLOVESDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:51 AM   #17
DadwhoLOVESDisney
Earning My Ears

Saturday: Magic Kingdom Day #2

We ate a quick breakfast in the condo. We brought a bag of snacks and a bunch of bottles of water for the park. Now that we know that the security guards don’t care, we brought even more water. Enough to share with our friends who invited us for lasagna!

Morning Snack:

We pulled out water bottles and our bag o’snacks and everyone dug in to their favorite item. Son wanted a powerade. Frugal dad said yes. OOP Cost: $2.75

Lunch:

We ate in Tomorrow land at that restaurant with the 3 different bays. A salad, a turkey wrap, chicken tenders, hamburger, and a chicken strips kids meal plus 2 drinks and a cup of water. Total cost: $46.

Dinner:
We kind of got busy with rides and none of the quick serve meals sounded appealing (I sure wish I could have gotten some sort of noodle bowl instead of more selections with French fries). This is one downside of not having the DDP -- who wants to pay so much for an expensive dinner. So what did we do? We ate dessert! Went to the bakery on main street with our friends. Bought a hot chocolate, drink, and two desserts. OOP$12

I’m still not certain how we avoided eating a regular, sit-down meal since we were in the park until 11pm. We did eat beef jerky, animal crackers, and a total of 7 or 8 bottles of water. But I’m still surprised.

Total OOP cost: $61.75
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-23-2010, 03:38 PM   #18
fort4evr
Earning My Ears

Great trip report so far!
fort4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:55 PM   #19
crazyfordisney2000
DIS Veteran

Loving your report!! I'm really interested in the final result since we are not getting the DDP and will be paying OOP for the very first time on our upcoming trip.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:02 PM   #20
jwinky
Earning My Ears

Subscribing

Love to hear more about your food adventures.

Dec 11 - POP (can't say no to the mouse);Dec 10 - POP (first time with free dining); Jun 09 - US (before Harry Potter); Aug 08 - SSR (first time on location and with TS Fay); May 07 - DL/US (off site, missed Nemo Sub ride by one month, will try to visit again); Apr 06 - WDW (off site, rode Expedition Everest and loved it); Apr 96 - WDW/US (off site); Aug 95- WDW/US (off site); Summer '89 - WDW (off site); Summer '84 - DL/US (off site)
jwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:16 PM   #21
DadwhoLOVESDisney
Earning My Ears

Sunday: Transition Day

So bright and early Sunday morning we start packing up from our offsite condo and trudge down from the third floor with all of our stuff. Ate breakfast in the condo.

After a couple of false starts, we end up at Joe’s Crab Shack for lunch. While the food wasn’t all that great, the kids enjoyed sitting outside and entertaining themselves on the playground while we waited for lunch.

Total OOP Cost: $46.17

Afternoon:

We checked into our hotel at Animal Kingdom Lodge – Kidani Village. We bought into Disney Vacation Club a year ago and this was our first time to stay on our own points (we had rented or traded into Disney with our time share before). We were excited! And the kids loved the animals. We were on the 5th floor and could see 4 or 5 different animals within the first 10 minutes. Made microwave popcorn and drank bottled water as a snack.

Total OOP Costs for first three days (not including food and drink items brought from Houston – so not completely fair and we had a free dinner with friends).

Wednesday: $78
Thursday: $59 (but free dinner with friends)
Friday: $74.50
Saturday: $61.75
Sunday (half day): $46.17
Grand Total: $319
Average total OOP per day (4 days): $80
Average per person (didn’t count the 2 year old) that’s about $20 a day ($80/4 = $20)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that we’re onsite, frugal dad become Disney Dining Plan Dad! (but frugal dad never really goes away – and all you frugal people know that!).

Dinner:

We had reservations at Boma for 7:15. We got there about 7 and they seated us in less than a minute. Great news. We sit down and the waiter takes our drink orders. The waiter outlines where things are located and we head to the lines. My kids go to one side and I go to the other. 30 seconds later, we meet at the kids meal station and both kids are filling up on meatballs, noodles, and are eyeing the mac-and-cheese. The horrors! Don’t they realize that we’re experiencing the tastes of Africa? Don’t they realize that this is a $35 dinner? They’re loading up on $4.99 kids meal options!! I guide them to a few more unique food choices and we head back to the table.

At the table, everyone’s unhappy with their food. Wife reminds me that it might have been a good idea to share the plan to try out unique foods from Africa BEFORE we get to the food line. I think she has a good point. A very good point! I explain to the kids some of what we were trying to do (get small tastes of foods that we would never get in Houston). I also explain that they don’t have to eat everything on their plate – but they do have to get a lot of different things—with very small portions – and tell the rest of us about what they like and what’s “not they’re favorite” (that’s the phrase they’re allowed to use at home when they don’t like something).

We go up to the food lines again and things go MUCH better. I ask my son to pick out a few things from each station to try. We all head back with our second plates and try out a variety of items.

Overall, the kids weren’t too wild about the exotic options. But since my goal was for them to try things, I wasn’t too concerned. Son found that he really liked the pork. So he loaded up. And as long as it wasn’t the standard meatballs or mystery chicken, I was fine with that. Daughter really liked the dessert bar. My wife and I found a lot of things we liked – so it was definitely enjoyable.

Unfortunately, because of the poor planning from dad and the need for finding a new approach to menu selections before a complete family meltdown, no pictures. : (

My son really liked the pork at the meat station.

Soups were a family favorite. My wife and I really liked the Curried Coconut Seafood Stew.

And the desserts were awesome. Here are the caramel cheesecakes that my daughter and wife loved.

Overall, we were very satisfied with Boma's. It was a good value and we enjoyed the experience a great deal. And the service was one of our better experiences: our waiter was attentive and kept picking up the plates.

Total Disney Table Service Credits Used: 4
Cost w/o DDP: $140 + tip ($35 pp)
Total OOP: $26 for a tip.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:16 PM   #22
DadwhoLOVESDisney
Earning My Ears

Sunday: Transition Day

So bright and early Sunday morning we start packing up from our offsite condo and trudge down from the third floor with all of our stuff. Ate breakfast in the condo.

After a couple of false starts, we end up at Joe’s Crab Shack for lunch. While the food wasn’t all that great, the kids enjoyed sitting outside and entertaining themselves on the playground while we waited for lunch.

Total OOP Cost: $46.17

Afternoon:

We checked into our hotel at Animal Kingdom Lodge – Kidani Village. We bought into Disney Vacation Club a year ago and this was our first time to stay on our own points (we had rented or traded into Disney with our time share before). We were excited! And the kids loved the animals. We were on the 5th floor and could see 4 or 5 different animals within the first 10 minutes. Made microwave popcorn and drank bottled water as a snack.

Total OOP Costs for first three days (not including food and drink items brought from Houston – so not completely fair and we had a free dinner with friends).

Wednesday: $78
Thursday: $59 (but free dinner with friends)
Friday: $74.50
Saturday: $61.75
Sunday (half day): $46.17
Grand Total: $319
Average total OOP per day (4 days): $80
Average per person (didn’t count the 2 year old) that’s about $20 a day ($80/4 = $20)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that we’re onsite, frugal dad become Disney Dining Plan Dad! (but frugal dad never really goes away – and all you frugal people know that!).

Dinner:

We had reservations at Boma for 7:15. We got there about 7 and they seated us in less than a minute. Great news. We sit down and the waiter takes our drink orders. The waiter outlines where things are located and we head to the lines. My kids go to one side and I go to the other. 30 seconds later, we meet at the kids meal station and both kids are filling up on meatballs, noodles, and are eyeing the mac-and-cheese. The horrors! Don’t they realize that we’re experiencing the tastes of Africa? Don’t they realize that this is a $35 dinner? They’re loading up on $4.99 kids meal options!! I guide them to a few more unique food choices and we head back to the table.

At the table, everyone’s unhappy with their food. Wife reminds me that it might have been a good idea to share the plan to try out unique foods from Africa BEFORE we get to the food line. I think she has a good point. A very good point! I explain to the kids some of what we were trying to do (get small tastes of foods that we would never get in Houston). I also explain that they don’t have to eat everything on their plate – but they do have to get a lot of different things—with very small portions – and tell the rest of us about what they like and what’s “not they’re favorite” (that’s the phrase they’re allowed to use at home when they don’t like something).

We go up to the food lines again and things go MUCH better. I ask my son to pick out a few things from each station to try. We all head back with our second plates and try out a variety of items.

Overall, the kids weren’t too wild about the exotic options. But since my goal was for them to try things, I wasn’t too concerned. Son found that he really liked the pork. So he loaded up. And as long as it wasn’t the standard meatballs or mystery chicken, I was fine with that. Daughter really liked the dessert bar. My wife and I found a lot of things we liked – so it was definitely enjoyable.

Unfortunately, because of the poor planning from dad and the need for finding a new approach to menu selections before a complete family meltdown, no pictures. : (

My son really liked the pork at the meat station.

Soups were a family favorite. My wife and I really liked the Curried Coconut Seafood Stew.

And the desserts were awesome. Here are the caramel cheesecakes that my daughter and wife loved.

Overall, we were very satisfied with Boma's. It was a good value and we enjoyed the experience a great deal. And the service was one of our better experiences: our waiter was attentive and kept picking up the plates.

Total Disney Table Service Credits Used: 4
Cost w/o DDP: $140 + tip ($35 pp)
Total OOP: $26 for a tip.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:21 PM   #23
DadwhoLOVESDisney
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwinky View Post
Love to hear more about your food adventures.
thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfordisney2000 View Post
Loving your report!! I'm really interested in the final result since we are not getting the DDP and will be paying OOP for the very first time on our upcoming trip.
Sorry it's taking awhile to post everything. But I'll get there : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort4evr View Post
Great trip report so far!
Thanks for the feedback. My first effort -- so it's taking longer than I expected!
Old 11-25-2010, 12:31 AM   #24
Schoolbread
Mouseketeer

We'll see if there's REALLY a difference in frugal dad and DDP dad. I'm guessing not....

Joining in to read until "The End."
Schoolbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:41 AM   #25
Pooh&OurHunny
DIS Veteran

wonderful start...

Grand Floridian (son 1st Disney Trip) May & October2007
Swan Feb 2008
AKL May 2008
Swan & CSR December 2010
Pooh&OurHunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:35 PM   #26
lblume91
It's magic wrapped up in pixie dust!

You are 100% correct when you say frugal dad never really goes away! DH is the exact same way. Looking forward to the rest of your report.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:13 PM   #27
OurDogCisco
DIS Veteran

Love your title! I can't wait to read more.
OurDogCisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:00 AM   #28
DadwhoLOVESDisney
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoolbread View Post
We'll see if there's REALLY a difference in frugal dad and DDP dad. I'm guessing not....

Joining in to read until "The End."
You're right! Frugal dad never really goes away -- he's always looking to ensure he's getting his money's worth : ) But at least he gets to eat like he wouldn't normally eat -- which was a major advantage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh&OurHunny View Post
wonderful start...
Thank you...and thanks for your patience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lblume91 View Post
You are 100% correct when you say frugal dad never really goes away! DH is the exact same way. Looking forward to the rest of your report.
If DH is similar, you do understand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDogCisco View Post
Love your title! I can't wait to read more.
Thank you! Am posting the next installment in a few minutes (he types hopefully).
Old 11-26-2010, 12:13 AM   #29
DadwhoLOVESDisney
Earning My Ears

Monday: Daughter’s B-day, Wolfgang Puck Express

We slept in for awhile and ate a leisurely breakfast in the room while watching animals.

OOP: $0

Later in the morning we headed to Downtown Disney and did some shopping. I checked out both the Earl of Sandwich as well as Wolfgang Puck Express. While both looked really good, Wolfgang Puck edged out sandwiches.

The meal was simply great. We all loved our food choices. My oldest daughter wanted soup – but frugal dad kicked in and said: use an entire quick service meal on soup? Are you crazy? Then we found out that our 2 year old could eat the older daughter’s pizza – and the great waitress pointed out that we could get soup as a snack. Score! We ended up ordering pizza, spaghetti & meatballs, turkey cobb salad, and chicken alfredo. For dessert we picked a crème brulee, 2 cheesecakes, and frozen yogurt. It was all outstanding. Best meal we’ve had so far. And a quick serve no less.

Turkey Cobb Salad. Excellent!

Squash soup.

The menu was great. Simple – but lots of choices that we were interested in trying.

Clockwise from left: alfredo, spaghetti, pizza, soup, turkey cob salad, and meatballs (part of the spaghetti – but next to my salad for some reason!

Crème brulee and cheesecake

Typically I don’t tip at a quick service type restaurant, but the service was so great – they were so attentive – that I tipped them $15 just because they were so awesome.

DDP: 4 Quick Service Meals + 1 snack – cost savings : $95
OOP: $15

Dinner will follow in a separate post...
Old 11-26-2010, 05:53 AM   #30
pinkxray
DIS Veteran

Joining in. I am loving your reviews. We did a split stay last trip with part dining plan, part OOP. DH was in charge of the food choices when we were OOP and it was such a difference than when we were on DDP.

WPE looks fantastic. We will have to try it next trip.

Tags
ddp, ddp comparison

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: