Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2010, 12:32 PM   #1
C.Ann
We'll remember when...
No time for green bananas
When the going gets tough, she gets the Palmolive!!
If I knew we were going to be graded here, I might try harder

Exclamation Honda Odyssey 2004 - paint peeling..

Does anyone here own a 2004 Honda Odyssey and is having issues with the paint peeling?

Had a long chat with my sister (in Florida) this morning and she had purchased one brand new in 2004.. In the past year she began to have issues with the paint peeling.. Just a little at first, but it continued to get worse and worse..

She contacted Honda and of course the first person she spoke to said they weren't responsible and would not have the car repainted.. (Estimates from other places in Florida were running as high as $3500..)

Well - she kept hounding them and hounding them - all the way to the top and they finally caved..

She just had the entire van repainted at no charge!!!

So if you are having a similar problem, don't give up after the first call.. Keep going until you reach the top..

Sometimes it really does pay off to complain..
----------------------------------------

"I wrote your name in the sand,
but the waves washed it away.
I wrote your name in the sky,
but the wind blew it away.
So I wrote your name in my heart,
and thatís where it will stay.."

"We won't be sad, we'll be glad
for all the life we've had
and we'll remember when...."
C.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
momoftwins

Frazzled Disney-lovin' Mom of twins!

Wow of Wow what a coincidence

I just found peeling paint on my 2003 Honda Odyssey. In 2008, there was a recall via Service Bulletin 08-031. For my car, I have the Midnight Blue color which is covered by the warranty.

http://www.ppg.com/coatings/refinish...Peel_08031.pdf

Well, guess what - I bought my car on 5/31/2003. Again, guess what! The warranty is for 7 years on this issue. Well, I am 4 1/2 months past the warranty period. I spoke with Honda Corp and was basically told: "We are done with you and your car!" I told them, first and last Honda.

Tell her to call her local Honda dealer and ask them if she is covered, She will need to know the VIN number of her car.

Good luck!
Pop Century, BCV,Wonder Cruise, VWL - April 2005, Pop Century August 2005, Boardwalk Villas - June 2006, Boardwalk Villas - April 2007, BCV - Thanksgiving 2007 - Boardwalk Villas - August 2008, Boardwalk - January 2009 - Magic Cruise- November 2009, Boardwalk Villas- July 2010
momoftwins is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2010, 01:04 PM   #3
C.Ann
We'll remember when...
No time for green bananas
When the going gets tough, she gets the Palmolive!!
If I knew we were going to be graded here, I might try harder

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoftwins View Post
I just found peeling paint on my 2003 Honda Odyssey. In 2008, there was a recall via Service Bulletin 08-031. For my car, I have the Midnight Blue color which is covered by the warranty.

http://www.ppg.com/coatings/refinish...Peel_08031.pdf

Well, guess what - I bought my car on 5/31/2003. Again, guess what! The warranty is for 7 years on this issue. Well, I am 4 1/2 months past the warranty period. I spoke with Honda Corp and was basically told: "We are done with you and your car!" I told them, first and last Honda.

Tell her to call her local Honda dealer and ask them if she is covered, She will need to know the VIN number of her car.

Good luck!
It's already done.. She had no extended warranty.. She went all the way to the top and Honda repainted the van for free..
----------------------------------------

"I wrote your name in the sand,
but the waves washed it away.
I wrote your name in the sky,
but the wind blew it away.
So I wrote your name in my heart,
and thatís where it will stay.."

"We won't be sad, we'll be glad
for all the life we've had
and we'll remember when...."
C.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
momoftwins

Frazzled Disney-lovin' Mom of twins!

Thanks C.Ann

I guess my brain is so mad at them I miscontrued your post. I am glad it worked out for her.

Is there a way you can check with her and PM me the names and the numbers she used? I already spoke with a regular Customer Service Rep and their boss. They would not give me the name of anyone higher than them to go to.

Extremely frustrating.
Pop Century, BCV,Wonder Cruise, VWL - April 2005, Pop Century August 2005, Boardwalk Villas - June 2006, Boardwalk Villas - April 2007, BCV - Thanksgiving 2007 - Boardwalk Villas - August 2008, Boardwalk - January 2009 - Magic Cruise- November 2009, Boardwalk Villas- July 2010
momoftwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
josthomas
Earning My Ears

Help!!! I'm having the same issues with my midnight blue odyssey and no one will pay for it since it's out of warranty.
josthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
BeachLove
Mouseketeer

My friend has a Corolla and a Honda Odyssey. BOTH starting peeling really badly after a few years. Actually I know tons of people with civics and thinking about it some of those cars do have paint issues. Two have celica's and no paint issues with them from what I've noticed.

I have never had that issue with 3 fords. (Had a kia for the business for a short time-HATED IT. So don't know if it would've had paint issues.) I've read the the paint on Honda and Toyota products is pretty bad. While the Fords apparently get several coats. My parents have had Camry's. The last two peeled.

My Fords are between 5-12 years old. One is a company car so it spends its days out in the elements.
BeachLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
girli565
A Miami kind of girl

I had the same problem with my 2008 civic and even under the extended warranty (which doesn't cover paint) they wouldn't repaint or even fix the spots that were peelings (they didn't want to do this because then they'd have to blend the paint in the surrounding areas and that would cost too much).

I went back and forth with Honda service repair and body work for months! Even met with the regional manager for south FL and the state of FL twice and still nothing. the repair guy even went as far as to accuse me of getting my car repainted and trying to pass off a bad paint job as factory defect :-0!!! They had to order a special tool that measures the thickness of the paint (that took 2 weeks to get to my dealership) and of course I was telling the truth. They then offered to cover a portion of repainting (only in the areas that were peeling) but I was going to have to pay for the blending, which ended up being almost $1000 over what Honda as covering, um no!

I ended up going through my insurance and paying the deductible to get it fixed, which was waaaaay less than $1000! Then had an accident not 4 months later and the whole front end of the car was repaired and repainted. oh well.
girli565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:05 AM   #8
luv2mickey
Mouseketeer

Is it only certain colors that have the peeling paint? I have a white 2004 Odyssey and so far no paint peeling but I plan on keeping it another 3 years.
luv2mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:12 AM   #9
girli565
A Miami kind of girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2mickey View Post
Is it only certain colors that have the peeling paint? I have a white 2004 Odyssey and so far no paint peeling but I plan on keeping it another 3 years.
My car is "tango red." I don't think it's color specific but who knows? If you google the subject of Honda peeling paint/topcoat you'll find tons of info and stories from people who have the same issue.
girli565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #10
mom2boys
Horseshoe Mesa - 3 miles, 31 switchbacks & 2500 vertical feet down and ALL that way back UP to the rim!
I always wondered why, of all the animals on earth, they would pick a hippo

Angry

C.Ann/MomofTwins

Could either of you send me contact names at Honda? My 2009 white Odyssey is peeling. I first noticed it on the front quarter panels. The dealer said because body work had been done on that side, it wasn't covered. The body work was done on the sliding door & REAR panel. Now the roof is peeling - in sheets - right down to the primer. I've had this van for 3 years and have two more years of payments.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #11
Pooh2
DIS Veteran

I have a 2004 Honda van. The paint is actually like new! Guess they had a few bad batches of paint..
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: