Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
Aimros
Zip a dee doo dah!

Why would someone take a picture of our house...

I work at home a couple days a week, including today. I'm sitting in my office a couple of minutes ago and just happened to look out the window (blinds shut) to see a car stopped in front of my house. I peaked outside and noticed the driver taking a picture of our house and then driving off. Why would someone do this? There have been a lot of break-in's in our area over the past few months so I'm a little freaked out!
Old 11-17-2010, 09:26 AM   #2
NVDisMom
I love to read aloud
First rule: NEVER take DH and kids grocery shopping

Banks will sometimes send an agency around to check on properties that they hold as collateral for a mortgage. Perhaps it is innocent as that. If you own, I would call the mortgage company. If you rent I would call the landlord. If you rent it could also be the rental agency checking on things.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2010, 09:27 AM   #3
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Could be a local real estate agent looking at comps?
Old 11-17-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
golfgal
DIS Cast Member
When did vacuums become a status symbol???

Most likely either your mortgage company making sure your home is not vacant or your insurance company doing the same. It could also be your county for property tax records or a real estate appraiser doing a photo for 'comps' for a home sale in your area.
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:27 AM   #5
Disney1fan2002
Like OMG the TF is SOO psyched to find like another Val fer sure! ;)
Please don't anyone report this thread, it has the potential to get real good
He just comes across as a pompous donkey

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

A realtor or a mortgage company could be doing "comps".
Old 11-17-2010, 09:29 AM   #6
Disney1fan2002

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Most likely either your mortgage company making sure your home is not vacant or your insurance company doing the same. It could also be your county for property tax records or a real estate appraiser doing a photo for 'comps' for a home sale in your area.
Oooh! You're right. When we got our assessment from the town, it had a picture of our house taken from the street. So, yes, it could be someone from your town or county. Or maybe Google, for the "street view map"
Old 11-17-2010, 09:29 AM   #7
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

Are you refinancing? Is your area being reassessed for taxes? They often need updated photos of the property for tax purposes. Perhaps someone else in the neighborhood is refinancing and they're using yours as comp. Perhaps someone likes your landscaping or colors of your house and wants a picture of it to design theirs. Could be a lot of very legitimate reasons.
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:30 AM   #8
Aimros
Zip a dee doo dah!

We did just move in a few months ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was for comps. We also just got a letter in the mail from our mortgage company saying something about how they never received our homeowners info (their fault, it had to be sent in order to get the mortgage ), so we had to send some info to them recently. I guess I won't worry about it too much - I'm the worrywart in the family, I told DFi and he casually responded that "it was probably for insurance reasons or something". I wish I could be as calm all the time!
Old 11-17-2010, 09:30 AM   #9
4nana
God Bless America, Land of the Free, Because of the Brave. Godspeed and thanks to our troops and their families for their sacrifices.

In Md. they take photos of our house/land for tax assessment purposes.
Blessed with 4 loving kiddos & IL's, 13 sweet grands, 50 Golden Years & Anniv. cruise gift....PRICELESS!!

There are two lasting bequests we can give our children & grandchildren: 'One is roots, the other is wings'.
~~~~~
Life is a journey ~ love makes the trip worthwhile

Grandchildren are God's reward for being a parent

"For He shall give the angels charge over thee, to keep thee safe in all thy ways" Psalms 91:11

For my dear Mom in heaven
4nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:31 AM   #10
Mickey527
DIS Veteran

I would call your insurance.
Last year out of the blue I got a letter from my insurance with a photo of my house. I knew it was recent because I had just put a flag out that I didn't have a month ago.
It said that they were cancelling me because I didn't have a handrail on the front steps. I had been with the same insurance agency for over 35 years, 25 here in this house and 10 at my first house.
I called them and told them I would have someone put a handrail up within the next few days and email them a photo but they said no, they were cancelling.
I wound up getting another policy really easy, and pay less now than I had with the first insurance so it was a blessing.
My neighbor is going through the same thing right now, her insurance (different from mine) said they will drop her unless she gets a new roof put on within the month. It is November and cold here. Not a good time to get a new roof. It doesn't leak but they won't wait till spring.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:31 AM   #11
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Or someone redoing their house and trying to get ideas for colors? We have to have our house re-sided and new roof from hail damage and I have been looking extra hard at houses as I drive around. Haven't taken a picture yet but if I see one I really like I would.

Has your house/street been Google mapped? cause they drive around with a camera.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:36 AM   #12
Stitchfans
Tres Charming
I cry at a drop of a hat
55 scares me
Can you dip the shortbread in chocolate?
*~*The T.F*~*
let the stupidity begin!

Knowing I was moving and most likely would never be in the area ever again I went around my childhood neighborhood and took pictures of the houses I lived in plus some favorite childhood places. I even took a picture of some of my relatives old homes where I spent many hours with them.

I highly doubt that was the reason for the person taking a picture of your home, but you'd never know. I hope it was just what other posters suggested.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:37 AM   #13
golfgal
DIS Cast Member
When did vacuums become a status symbol???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimros View Post
We did just move in a few months ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was for comps. We also just got a letter in the mail from our mortgage company saying something about how they never received our homeowners info (their fault, it had to be sent in order to get the mortgage ), so we had to send some info to them recently. I guess I won't worry about it too much - I'm the worrywart in the family, I told DFi and he casually responded that "it was probably for insurance reasons or something". I wish I could be as calm all the time!
It is probably your insurance company then. They have underwriters go out and take pictures and do random inspections or it could by the agent (or someone the agent hires) to take a file picture.
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:43 AM   #14
Disney1fan2002

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
It is probably your insurance company then. They have underwriters go out and take pictures and do random inspections or it could by the agent (or someone the agent hires) to take a file picture.
This too. My SIL got a notice from her insurance company that the treee house and the trampoline need to come down. They only would have known about them if they had been out to the property.

Big Brother and Insurance companies are watching! LOL

OP, as you can see, there are many reasons why someone could be taking a picture of your house. I still say it is Google! LOL
Old 11-17-2010, 09:46 AM   #15
ZuZugal
DIS Veteran
There are many reasons to come to the dark side....

When I protested our property taxes I had to take pictures of other homes in our neighborhood as comps. Could be as simple as something like that.

Ten oughta do it, don't you think?
You think we need one more?
You think we need one more.
All right, we'll get one more.

This is our daughter Dottie...and this is our other daughter, Dottie's sister.
ZuZugal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: