Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2010, 10:00 PM   #31
Quin
DIS Veteran

If we are checked in and in our room by mid-afternoon I really like to spend the remainder of the first day at Epcot. FW is not too crowded by late afternoon. Lots of good CS dinner choices around WS if the weather is good for eating outdoors; otherwise Sunshine Seasons has an awesome food court. I don't want to tempt fate by making an ADR for the first night, though. That's like begging for a massive flight delay.

We end the first evening with Illuminations at 9 and then back to the resort and to bed. We can be in bed by 11 pm, get 8 hours of sleep, then a quick breakfast in the room and onto the bus for a 9 am rope drop for the first full day, preferrably at MK!
Old 11-15-2010, 10:15 PM   #32
Sassagoula Billy
Life is...

Lately, tradition is early afternoon arrival. Drinks at AKL, dinner at Jiko, and shopping/Ghiradelli at DTD.
Register to remove

Old 11-15-2010, 10:24 PM   #33
atksn
Mouseketeer

We usually get in late morning/early afternoon- head to resort, unpack a bit, if weather permits (always go in Feb) let the munchkins swim a bit, rest, and then hit DTD for dinner/shopping.

2006- WDW
2007- DLR
2009- WDW
2011- WDW
2012- WDW
2014- WDW
Oct 2014- DLR
atksn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:30 PM   #34
KCSherri
Perpetual Kid Who Always Believes in the Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
So if we arrive early enough and with enough energy, after check-in and a bite to eat, we head over to World Showcase and stroll.
Ditto! That is EXACTLY what we do!
KCSherri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:43 PM   #35
DisneyFan365
Earning My Ears

We go every year for Thanksgiving and we drive. We leave on Saturday and get to North Carolina and then leave Sunday morning and then usually get to the Grand Floridian about 4:00 on Sunday. We check in get settled then go to Gaspirilla's for dinner. Then we take the monorail over to the Magic Kingdom and it's usually EMH on Sunday so will stay there until about 2 in the morning. Yeah I'm looking forward to doing this again on Sunday. Haha

DM DD DS(me) 17 DS 13
DisneyFan365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:47 PM   #36
nooneshome
but us dis shutins-send help or APs

We usually arrive around 5 or 6 in the afternoon after an 11 hour drive so we unpack and rest for a few minutes and then head off to DTD for a quick meal at the Earl. then we just do a little shopping and head back to POP.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:36 AM   #37
Pixie Princess
DIS Veteran

Location: With Cinderella's mice making a new dress for Belle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybeasley View Post
I lost my abbreviations link. I'm usually able to figure them all out by now, but HDDR? These things strain my brain.

Out of curiosity, what do you check out at a resort? Do they each have their own activities? Decorations? Parties?Bars?
HDDR= Hoop Dee Doo Revue. It is a dinner show over at Ft. Wilderness. It is fantastic! Cheesy as all get out, but the food is great, and I die laughing each time. And after 8 hours of driving the fact wine is included with the meal doesn't hurt either!

My DD loves hanging out at the beach at Ft. Wilderness and playing tetherball. We also like to go over to the stables and check out the horses there.

Each of the monorail resorts is very different. The resort I like to go to is the Grand Floridian. I love just sitting in the lobby and taking it all in. They have a jazz band that plays in the lobby, so we'll just sit and listen to them. We also like to go and hang out on the beach there. DD also likes the Contemporary. We'll take the boat from Ft. Wilderness over there and just walk through and visit the shops. Then go take the monorail around to the other resorts. Honestly, the monorail is a big part of the fun. We almost always will take the bus to MK from our resort, so this is our monorail time.

The resorts may activites going on, but we really just walk around and take in the ambience and relax. If you want to make a night of it you can hang out on one of the beaches and watch the Electrical Water Pageant go by. But that does make for a rather late night.
Pixie Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:41 AM   #38
*sarah*
DIS Veteran

We usually check out the hotel, like the pool and anything else neat. Head to DTD. And then just rest up for the next morning at the park.

Commando #133

*sarah* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:01 AM   #39
carrie6466
DIS Veteran

When we arrive in the evening, we usually just check into the hotel, check out the resort, have something to eat and make an early night of it.

If we have an early flight, we go to MK while we wait for the room to be ready.

This is an afternoon flight. Different for us! Actually, we are going to go to DHS on our arrival day to see the Osborne lights. It's EMH night and our flight gets in at 3. We have a 7:30 ADR at Hollywood and Vine, we'll walk around a bit after dinner and then head back to the hotel.

We have an ADR for breakfast the next morning, but not until 10:15, so we can sleep in a bit
Old 11-16-2010, 01:07 AM   #40
momtotaryn
Mouseketeer

Unfortunately for us, we'll be traveling a very long ways to get to Orlando from Hawaii. We're taking a red eye flight to a West Coast city on a Sunday night, then we will be on the go all day with another stop over, before flying again and arriving in Orlando at 11:14pm Monday night! I'm thinking even with some sleep, we may be pretty tired on Tuesday morning. Still, I'm hoping we can be up and at one of the parks first thing in the morning. I think I can, but not so sure about the rest of my family.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:16 AM   #41
disEAR
DVC Member

We have our routine.

Catch the redeye flight and arrive at the resort between 5-7am.

Eat breakfast at the resort.

Head to Magic Kingdom for the morning.

Usually head to Downtown Disney and have a real early Dinner.

Go back to our Resort and call it a day. Get a early sleep.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:53 AM   #42
1971DBday
Keep moving forward!

We usually get in around mid-day, check-in, go to the pool to unwind (weather permitting - but we have swam when it was 68 degrees) then get ready and go to MK. We play games during the year to see who gets to choose the very first ride (DH won this year and he chose the Walt Disney World Railroad . He said in all of the years he has gone here, he has never been on it...okay.) Then another ride or two and that back to the Poly for a couple of cocktails and to bed early to hit the parks early!!!
'79 1st trip (child); '95 Honeymoon WL; '98 GF; '02 Poly; Nov/Dec '06 CSR; Nov/Dec '07 CBR; Nov/Dec '08 CSR; Nov/Dec2009Poly; Nov/Dec2010Poly; Oct '11 Poly; June '12 Poly; June '13 BC; Planning June 2014 AKV as First Time DVC Owners

1971DBday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:59 AM   #43
mariepapa
Miss Piggy Diva

Where are you staying? If you are staying near Epcot then going there is a good choice.

Otherwise, I would go to Downtown Disney and shop!
Pop Century: August 2009
CBR: April 2010

No trip planned right now
mariepapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #44
DonaldTDuck
DIS Veteran

I always head to a park, usually DHS or Epcot. I like 2 full days at MK.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:39 AM   #45
hkeller27
Addicted to my refillable resort mug

Our Day 1 is the same every time:

7:00am flight out of NJ, 9:30am arrival at MCO. ME, check-in, and we are generally walking right down the middle of Main Street USA before noon!

Always stop at Casey's for lunch - long standing tradition now. Spend the rest of the afternoon at the MK.

Pop back over to the Contemporary for an early dinner at Chef Mickey's. Then jump on the monorail over to Epcot. Margaritas from La Cava and Illuminations! Kiddos fall asleep in the stroller on the way back to the room.

No rest for the weary when you Disney with us!!!

Multiple trips as a kid * CBR 2000 * All Star Sports 2007 * CBR 2008 * BLT 2010 * Poly 2010 * BLT 2011 * AKV 2011 * BLT 2012* Magic 2012* DLR and Aulani 2012!! * BC 2012 * BWV/BLT 2013 * Poly 2013 * Dream 2014 * BLT 2014 * Aulani 2014
Our Second Homes!

hkeller27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: