Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2010, 12:32 PM   #61
inkkognito
I shall call him Mini-Me
I fart cigarette-scented farts!

That poor thing is not going anywhere but the scrap heap. It got too deteriorated so there wasn't much that could be done other than dismantling/destroying it. It's been interesting watching it get more and more run down over the years. I sort of suspected something like this would be happening soon. We were on the cruise right before the destruction started, and I didn't find out what would be happening until we left the island. A shame as I would have grabbed one last photo had I known.
inkkognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:49 PM   #62
DizDragonfly
Oooh oooh! Can we take a poll? I love a good poll! Errrr wait, that doesn't sound right ....
I'm just glad I'm not being stalked by the TagFairy. That could be embarrassing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppiew View Post
hmm 'private owner?' good bye FD hello BLACK PEARL!!

not a gambler, but i bet this or something like it is in order! Especially since PITC 4 is finished filming. Where is the FD now? is there some fancy retrofitting going on and maybe being relocated to CC??
Are you asking where the Pearl is? On 10/20 she was still in Ko Olina Marina on Oahu.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-21-2010, 12:54 PM   #63
maria-fan-22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizDragonfly View Post
Are you asking where the Pearl is? On 10/20 she was still in Ko Olina Marina on Oahu.
Cool!

I'm on Twitter! @DCLdude

http://dcldude.webs.com/
maria-fan-22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #64
DizDragonfly
Oooh oooh! Can we take a poll? I love a good poll! Errrr wait, that doesn't sound right ....
I'm just glad I'm not being stalked by the TagFairy. That could be embarrassing!

I was so looking forward to seeing a third ship from POTC next year. I've been on the Lady Washington that was The Interceptor in the first movie. And saw the Pearl last month. But, now the Dutchman is gone.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:59 PM   #65
DisneyVegas1
That's Captain , Captain Jack Sparrow
Has a well protected sword

Unless they are making a new Black Pearl for Castaway Cay me ship doesnt exist anymore ...When they took the Black Pearl out of Ensenada and sailed it to Hawaii for filming , they pulled her out of the water and transformed into Black Beards ship the "Queen Anns Revenge" . they completey remodeled the ship even selling of the lovely lady that rode the bow of the Black Pearl .... So again it seems highly unlikely that it will be the Black Pearl unless they are making a new one ....

**** The Picture above is a picture of "Queen Ann's Revenge" it is no longer the Black Pearl ..**** Sad to see me ship gone
Old 11-21-2010, 10:33 PM   #66
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

I think that picture looks more like the flying Dutchman just with out the barnacles all over the hull. If you remember towards the end of the last movie when it come back from the depths with Will at it's helm the Barnacles are gone and also her crew is human as they have a Capitan that will do his job. The reason the ship and crew looked the way they did is because Davey Jones was not doing his job.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:02 AM   #67
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

This is the last pic I guess I will ever take of the Flying Dutchman.....I snapped this from the Tram on the way back to the ship on the Halloween cruise and it is easy to see she is not sitting right...poor thing. She will be missed.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:41 AM   #68
TotallyAngelic
Disney Addict

Oh no .. what a shame. As a massive fan of the movies and everything POTC I am gutted that the Flying Dutchman has been sent to Davy Jones Locker for one last time I will really miss her in Castaway Cay

I saw her for the last time then in October:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizDragonfly View Post
I was so looking forward to seeing a third ship from POTC next year. I've been on the Lady Washington that was The Interceptor in the first movie. And saw the Pearl last month. But, now the Dutchman is gone.
I have been on the Edinburgh Trader from the second movie ( aka The Bounty ). It was such a thrill to be on one of the ships.

TotallyAngelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:47 PM   #69
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
This is the last pic I guess I will ever take of the Flying Dutchman.....I snapped this from the Tram on the way back to the ship on the Halloween cruise and it is easy to see she is not sitting right...poor thing. She will be missed.

MJ
I think the reason that she was not sitting right, is that she was sitting on a samdbar. When I firs saw her several years ago, she was totally free floating, pretty much all the time. At some point, either the sand built up under her, or DCL did it deliberately, but either way for the most part, she was sitting on sand, and one side may have washed out more then the other, giving her the appearance that she was listing to one side.

You can see in this pic, the sand that is built up under her, and compared to the pic where she is floating next to the pier, she is flaoting on an even keel.

truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:34 PM   #70
dursin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
I must be the only person on the DIS who thought it was creepy, and totally ruined the look of the island.
I mean, here's this awesome, clean, beautiful space ....and there sat the ugly shell of a movie prop.

I'd been to Castaway Cay before it got there, and have been several times since it was there, and I like it better without.

Sorry....just my opinion.
No...I didn't care much for it either.
dursin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:34 PM   #71
Dizzyworld
DIS Veteran

Location: Towson, MD---930 miles too far from my happy place!

I liked seeing the prop ship but I also missed being able to take pictures of the Woner and the Magic without having it in the pictures.
Poly - 1/85, 6/02, 8/07, 8/08, 10/09 (Food & Wine Festival & MNSSHP), 8/10 ~~~ BC - 8/00, 7/09 ~~~ YC - 8/03 ~~~ WL - 12/02 ~~~ AKL - 8/04, 12/04 ~~~ Contemporary - 8/08 ~~~ Swan - 12/05, 8/06 ~~~ POFQ - 8/07 ~~~ Off-Site - 3/89

DCL Magic - 8/01 (Eastern), 8/04 (Eastern), 8/06 (Western- Double Dip), 7/09 (Eastern - Tortola)
DCL Wonder - 6/02, 8/07, 8/08 (Double Dip)

DCL Dream - B2B - 7/11 & 8/11, 3/13, 12/13
DCL Fantasy - 6/12 (Western)
1/15 (Eastern)
Dizzyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:45 AM   #72
Meg'n'walt
Mouseketeer

damn !! We were finally planning a US trip again (been going on the magic in europe and the baltic lately, part of it because its closer to home for us) and now the dutchman is GONE !! I would so loved to have seen it, beeing a big piratesfan..
Eurodisney S.C.A. Shareholder-WDW sept 1996-Caribbean Beach; DCL Magic sept 1998 (13th sailing ) + WDW Dixie Landings; DCL Magic sept 1999 + WDW Grand Floridian ; DCL Magic Halloween 2000 + WDW Dixie Landings; DCL Magic 12/08/2007-18/08/2007-Med cruise; DCL Magic 18/07/2010-30/07/2010 - Baltic cruise- DCL Magic 20/07/2011 - 30/07/2011 -Med cruise - Dreamcruise & WDW Wilderness Lodge 10-23/08/2012-inaugural sailing Norwegian Breakaway april 2013 - Norwegian Fjords HAL Eurodam - aug 2013
Meg'n'walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:36 AM   #73
oakiex4
"When You Wish Upon A Star" at 50,000 decibals ROCKS!

We just got back from our Magic cruise and have pictures of the bulldozers and cranes tearing the FD apart. From what we were told by multiple cast/crew members is that she was infested with bugs and sea life. It was a terrible expense to try and gut her and clean her up. So, they tore her down completely. They do not have anything to replace her with yet. Was sad to see them tearing her down. We did a double dip and the first time at CC they were litterally gutting her. When we got back a couple days later, it was just the hull and everything else was in a big pile. CRAZY

oakiex4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:10 PM   #74
alamere1496
Mouseketeer

Here is what we saw on our first day at Castaway Cay

[IMG][/IMG]

When we got back this was all that was left

[IMG][/IMG]

alamere1496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:47 PM   #75
Queenofthecastle
I may be the Queen, but the Tag Fairy rules!!! ;)

Why wouldn't they sell pieces of the scrap to us as souvenirs so they can recoup the costs of tearing it down? I'd buy a small chunk. Then again, I also bought a chunk of coal from the Titanic

SSR DVC Members since 2004
Queenofthecastle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: