Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: When do you think we should leave for Disney?
December 25! Don't take the risk of missing the Wishes Dessert Party because the park is full! 19 48.72%
December 26! Don't give up sleep and family time! You should be fine getting into the park! 20 51.28%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
therussells08
Roger, Simba One!

Location: ...just beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment!

Talking "We Ain't From Around Here!"-The South Does Disney! A Dec PTR Update 1/11-Prizes!

Hello one and all and welcome to my very first PTR!
I am a new face on the DIS but I have been a Disney addict for three fabulous years. I didn't start going to Disney until I was already 20 years old, but I fell in love! I have very big plans for this PTR. I have been inspired by all of the wonderful reports I have read here and I realize I have pretty big shoes to fill. But I'm going to do my very best and hopefully this will be an entertaining and exciting PTR. My goals for this are as follows:
1.) to help pass the many long months until my trip
2.) to help me make some new friends here at the DIS!

So...let's get started with some of the basics. Or as Donny Osmond says in my favorite Disney song EVER- "Let's get down to business..."

Okay so we're not going to be defeating any Huns but I am going to start telling you about my trip!

When?
December 26 2010-January 2 2011

Where?
Disney's Pop Century Resort

You will have to wait until my next post for the Who? portion because I'm very long winded! (Also the Grey's Anatomy season finale is getting ready to start! WOO!! )

Up Next: Who are the crazy people going on a trip to WDW during the busiest time of the year? (Including the story behind my title!)

Last edited by therussells08; 01-11-2011 at 12:44 PM.
therussells08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
therussells08
Roger, Simba One!

Okay everyone I have faith that eventually my little PTR will be discovered and followed by many! I'm here to tell any possible lurkers I might have (I hope I hope!) that I will be back tonight to update with my cast of characters for this PTR and the story of how it all came to be.

See ya real soon!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-21-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
DisneyFirefly
I wind up insanely itchy and liable to break skin
I'm definitely a walking information desk when it comes to MK

I'm here! I didn't make it to WDW until I was 19, so I completely understand about the late love

Our 10/16 Disney Wedding PJ | Follow The Bouncing Ears 10/10 TR | PTR | 10/10 Pop 2008-09 CM 11/06 Offsite 2004-05 CP/First Visit
Me DF
DisneyFirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
therussells08
Roger, Simba One!

I'm back! Did you miss me? *cricket* Alright, I'm holding strong to my belief that all of my loyal followers are making their way to my PTR as we speak. So let's get this show on the road so they will have plenty to read when they get here!
And now..the first of many moments you have been waiting for...drum roll please...
THE CAST!
I'm going to split my introduction of the cast into the North and the South. I will explain all of this later when I explain how this trip came to be.

So let's begin with the South!

Me: Hello! My name is Joni and I am a 23 year old high school English teacher. I love teaching and for some reason unbeknownst to me (and all of my elementary school teacher friends) I love those crazy teenagers! My favorite Disney quote of all time is "Teenagers. They think they know everything. You give them an inch, they swim all over you." Can you name what movie that is from? Come on, it's an easy one!

Anyway, I was born and raised in beautiful NC. I am a true Southern girl through and through. I am obsessed with any and everything Disney, especially WDW! I took my first trip to the World in 2007 (more on that later!) and after that I was hooked. I am also obsessed with Patrick Swayze. I loved that man from the moment I first saw him in Ghost when I was three years old. If you notice the grammatical incorrectness in my title, that is a direct reference to Patrick Swayze. Technically it should say "North and South do Disney". However, it says does because I am referring to the "North and South" miniseries that Patrick Swayze starred in during the 80s. See what I did there? Anyway, I was severely destroyed when Patrick died last year. Enough on that before I start crying.

My other obsessions include: Full House, Betty White, scrapbooking, reading, saying "the point is moot," and collecting Disney pins.

My pet peeves include: babies in denim jackets, overpriced yard sales, and people who make loud smacky noises with their mouths when chewing.

You will learn a lot more about me as the PTR progresses, so let's move on for now to....

DH: This is my super wonderful husband, John! He is 24 years old and a soldier in the US Army. We started dating when I was just a freshman in high school and have been together ever since. He is the most amazing man I have ever met and I am so lucky to be married to him. He truly makes me twitterpated everytime I see him. Like me, John was born and raised in NC. His country accent is the cutest thing on this planet, trust me.

It was during John's first leave from Iraq that we went to WDW for the first time. He now loves it just as much as I do, although he might be inclined to deny that fact. But he never seems to object when I suggest we take our next vacation there. I always laugh because John is covered in tattoos and tough as nails, but he always melts the minute he drives under that beautiful sign welcoming us to the happiest place on Earth. It's like you can literally watch the little kid in him coming out to play.

John loves everything Star Wars. He is also a big Indiana Jones fan.

His pet peeves include: mayonaise, people who lick food off of their fingers, and people who take drinks into the bathroom with them.

Here is a picture of us together at the beach last week:

I will tell you more about us later, don't worry. I just wanted to give you a short introduction about who we are. Originally it was just going to be the two of us going on this trip, but last week our plans changed dramatically!

Up Next: Who are these Northerners joining us on our trip and how did these new plans come to be? Stay tuned!
Old 05-21-2010, 07:44 PM   #5
therussells08
Roger, Simba One!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFirefly View Post
I'm here! I didn't make it to WDW until I was 19, so I completely understand about the late love
YAY!!! I am so excited that you are here! Thank you so much for reading my first PTR!

I told my mom after my first trip to Disney that is was cruel and unusual punishment for my parents to deny me the joys of Disney World as a child. But I don't really mind, because everytime I go it's like I'm a big kid all over again!
Old 05-21-2010, 07:49 PM   #6
DisneyFirefly

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussells08 View Post
YAY!!! I am so excited that you are here! Thank you so much for reading my first PTR!

I told my mom after my first trip to Disney that is was cruel and unusual punishment for my parents to deny me the joys of Disney World as a child. But I don't really mind, because everytime I go it's like I'm a big kid all over again!
LOL, you're welcome Honestly, reading PTR's and TR's gives me something to do when I'm at work. Stupid night shift

My family never had the money to go when we were kids, and the only reason I went when I did was the College Program they have at WDW. So, my first time seeing the Castle, I was a CM Your trip looks like it's going to be fun so far! We're actually arriving three days after you leave

Our 10/16 Disney Wedding PJ | Follow The Bouncing Ears 10/10 TR | PTR | 10/10 Pop 2008-09 CM 11/06 Offsite 2004-05 CP/First Visit
Me DF
Old 05-21-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
therussells08
Roger, Simba One!

Quote:
LOL, you're welcome Honestly, reading PTR's and TR's gives me something to do when I'm at work. Stupid night shift

My family never had the money to go when we were kids, and the only reason I went when I did was the College Program they have at WDW. So, my first time seeing the Castle, I was a CM Your trip looks like it's going to be fun so far! We're actually arriving three days after you leave

That is so cool that you were a CM! What was your favorite job to do?

It sounds like you are coming at the perfect time! We are gearing up to deal with those holiday crowds, but by the time you get there it might be calming down a little!
Old 05-21-2010, 08:34 PM   #8
DisneyFirefly

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussells08 View Post
That is so cool that you were a CM! What was your favorite job to do?

It sounds like you are coming at the perfect time! We are gearing up to deal with those holiday crowds, but by the time you get there it might be calming down a little!
My favorite was being in custodial. You're basically a walking information desk, and there's just SO MUCH guest interaction. You're also pretty much left to your own devices all day.

Yeah, the holiday crowds are insane. Definitely utilize FastPass and, if you want to pay the money, go with Tourguide Mike's touring plans or something. I think there's a link to his site on one of the boards on here, but I've heard that they're definitely worth the money

Me DF
Old 05-21-2010, 09:21 PM   #9
therussells08
Roger, Simba One!

Quote:
My favorite was being in custodial. You're basically a walking information desk, and there's just SO MUCH guest interaction. You're also pretty much left to your own devices all day.

Yeah, the holiday crowds are insane. Definitely utilize FastPass and, if you want to pay the money, go with Tourguide Mike's touring plans or something. I think there's a link to his site on one of the boards on here, but I've heard that they're definitely worth the money
That sounds like such an amazing job!!

Thank you so much for the advice. I will definitely look into that! Anything to help us deal with the crowds! At least we won't have to worry about the heat!
Old 05-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #10
HeatherBelle614
Always wishing on a star!

Hii!! I just recently started a PTR too and I love new DIS friends!!

We stayed at POP last December; it was fantastic! We had some cruddy weather, but other than that, everything was great. Such a pretty, pretty time of year to go!

I'm a true southern girl, too. Texas born and bred. (But no, I do not say howdy, ya'll, etc. I'm going to law school next year and figured I might as well break those Texas trademarks years ago, ya hear? )

Oh, and DH is a high school English teacher too! (Well, he's hoping to find a job. Teaching jobs are difficult to land right now in our area.)

Again, welcome! I'd love to help with any advice I can!

Working on a fantastic dream now; new ticker to come soon!
HeatherBelle614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:42 PM   #11
therussells08
Roger, Simba One!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherBelle614 View Post
Hii!! I just recently started a PTR too and I love new DIS friends!!

We stayed at POP last December; it was fantastic! We had some cruddy weather, but other than that, everything was great. Such a pretty, pretty time of year to go!

I'm a true southern girl, too. Texas born and bred. (But no, I do not say howdy, ya'll, etc. I'm going to law school next year and figured I might as well break those Texas trademarks years ago, ya hear? )

Oh, and DH is a high school English teacher too! (Well, he's hoping to find a job. Teaching jobs are difficult to land right now in our area.)

Again, welcome! I'd love to help with any advice I can!
I literally just finished subscribing to your PTR when I saw you wrote this! I guess great minds think alike! Thank you for checking mine out!

I know what you mean about the accent...if I say "ya'll" in front of my students they never let me live it down.

I hope that your DH is able to find a permanent job soon! Tell him I said good luck!

Thank you for offering your advice! I am sure I will need it...this is my first trip at Christmas time and I know the crowds are going to be epic!
Old 05-21-2010, 09:50 PM   #12
HeatherBelle614

Double post, sorry! Internet is stinking.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:50 PM   #13
HeatherBelle614

Are you on Facebook? I chat with a few other ladies that I've met on the DIS on FB (or G-Chat) quite often! (I've met one of them in real life, and she's a good friend now!)

You can PM me the link to your profile and I'll add ya, if you'd like! (DH works late nights, so I have a lot of spare time when I'm not studying for the LSAT!)

Old 05-21-2010, 10:48 PM   #14
therussells08
Roger, Simba One!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherBelle614 View Post
Are you on Facebook? I chat with a few other ladies that I've met on the DIS on FB (or G-Chat) quite often! (I've met one of them in real life, and she's a good friend now!)

You can PM me the link to your profile and I'll add ya, if you'd like! (DH works late nights, so I have a lot of spare time when I'm not studying for the LSAT!)
Yes I am on Facebook! I would love to be friends! I love meeting other Disney lovers! I am going to send you a PM in just a minute!
Old 05-22-2010, 01:21 AM   #15
stephielela
DIS Veteran

Subbing! I would love to go after Christmas sometime, but they say it's really crowded, and I'm afraid that if we wait till after New Years, all the Christmas stuff will be down. You'll have to let us know what's still up your last few days there! I'm looking forward to following along, I also work an overnight shift (though hopefully not much longer) and Iam always desperately bored!
stephielela is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: