Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2010, 09:33 PM   #1
MonorailMan
Relatively Cheap Date, Dewars Always Works
I stared at the wall for about 6 hours and had a conversation with a shoe

Talking Thoughts about NYE?

Have any of you guys been to WDW during the New Year's celebrations? If so is it as crowded and insane as it is at Christmas? I'm trying to make plans for a trip, but will be more than willing to hold off a few more weeks if I have to in order to avoid the crowds.
MonorailMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:59 PM   #2
mikelan6
World Traveler, Usually Optimistic

I would avoid the parks during NYE if at all possible. I was there once for it, and left way before midnight. There were queues for everything ... Even the mens room!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-11-2010, 01:12 AM   #3
OrlandoMike
all I can say is beer hurts when it comes out of your nose!
I don't think we hijacked Halloween, we just do a better job at it!

Mr. Mike, plain ole head

DISboards Moderator

The three parks that have fireworks are at capacity by noon! Once you leave a park, you may not get back in. Lines are ridiculous! Traffic is a mess! Last year it took me 2 hours to get from MK to EPCOT at 2am!!!

I would wait....

Just an FYI, by the 3rd of Jan, the parks are empty!
OrlandoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #4
goofykb03
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonorailMan View Post
Have any of you guys been to WDW during the New Year's celebrations? If so is it as crowded and insane as it is at Christmas? I'm trying to make plans for a trip, but will be more than willing to hold off a few more weeks if I have to in order to avoid the crowds.

If avoiding crowds is more important to you than celebrating NYE in WDW, I would definitely recommend waiting until the week after NYE. It will clear out within days of the new year and get very quiet. NYE is absolutely insane in WDW... I've done it 3 times (twice at MK, once at Pleasure Island when it was still there) and it's PACKED. I have resolved to never go back during that week between Xmas and NYE ever again. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful time of year to be there celebrating the holidays and I'm glad I've done it... but it's exhausting
May 1985 Fort Wilderness Cabins May 1988 Polynesian August 1989 Offsite/Carribean Beach August 1991 Disney Inn/Port Orleans/Beach Club July 1992 Dixie Landings November 1993 Port Orleans/Contemporary August 1994 Dixie Landings/Wilderness Lodge December 1995/January 1996 Offsite August 1996 Old Key West/Beach Club/Boardwalk January 1998 Disneyland Offsite July 1998 Coronado Springs December 1999/January 2000 Offsite July 2003 Offsite December 2004/January 2005 All Star Music September 2006 Disneyland Offsite October 2008 Animal Kingdom Villas Jambo House/Boardwalk Villas/Beach Club Villas July 2010 Bay Lake Tower December 2010 Saratoga Springs June 2013 Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani Village October 2013 Bay Lake Tower May 2014 Yacht Club August 2014 Port Orleans Riverside
goofykb03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:01 AM   #5
jackskellingtonsgirl
Jello Shot Chick
I am scarred for life from wearing knock off brands
I opened the door and gave them the "nanny death stare"!

It seems I have heard that the week between Christmas and New Year's is the most crowded week of the entire year. Crowds make me grouchy, so I personally would not plan to go that week.
AKV CL June '11 AKV June '10 AKL Dec. '09 AKV CL Aug. '09 AKL/SSR/Poly/AKV Aug. '08 AKL Dec. '07 WL Aug. '07 AKL Feb. '07 Pop Dec. '06 AKL Aug. '06 Pop Oct. '05 Pop Jan. '05

jackskellingtonsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:50 PM   #6
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

insane, yes, worth it? I believe so. Look at it this way, I can go anytime I want, I generally hate going when it is crowded, but I'll be in EPCOT on NYE this year! Bring on the techno in china and Italy and the awesome fireworks!

zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #7
ConcKahuna
Corn was on sale, 10 ears for $3, of course it was cheaper at The Root Of All Evil

Epcot for NYE is amazing. Worth the headache and crowds, I just recommend making it the first day of your trip, since after that everything clears out!
ConcKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #8
dvcblt93
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulemara View Post
insane, yes, worth it? I believe so. Look at it this way, I can go anytime I want, I generally hate going when it is crowded, but I'll be in EPCOT on NYE this year! Bring on the techno in china and Italy and the awesome fireworks!

What happened to "Shove it Disney, I'm going to Universal?
dvcblt93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:27 PM   #9
glenpreece
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcKahuna View Post
Epcot for NYE is amazing. Worth the headache and crowds, I just recommend making it the first day of your trip, since after that everything clears out!
I spent last NYE in Epcot and it did not reach capacity. For the bathroom it was easier to exit the park and reenter at IG than to trek it over to UK for the nearest in park washrooms. I waited in line for Test Track for about 2hrs+ just for something to do LOL. I watched the fireworks at International Gateway. After making my way around World Showcase and viewing the differnt dance parties. It was INSANE. It took me til 2:30am to get back to my hotel. Traffic was buymper to bumper trying to get anywhere after midnight and I found the crowds did not think out much at all after New Year's. Been there done it, never again.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:30 AM   #10
BoomNLeon
Harambe, at least for now. A "Lost on Safari", please!

Location: Arusha Rock, Uzima Springs and Victoria Falls - depending on the time of day.

NYE at Epcot is worth doing. Once.

The week after NYE is quieter, but the marathon brings in a whole new crowd teh week before MLK.
1/09 AKL, 3/09 POR, 4/09 BCV, 5/09 ASMovies, 7/09 AKL Concierge, 9/09 CSR/OKW/AKL, 10/09 POR, 12/09 POFQ/SSR/WL
1/08 CBR, 2/08 POP, 4/08 POFQ, 9-10/08 POR
9/07 POR
1998 AllStar Sports
1993 Marriott World Center
1985 Ramada Inn Court of Flags
1981 Buena Vista Villas
BoomNLeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 12:32 AM   #11
Sphyrna
DIS Veteran

Wow, I didn't realize Epcot was the place to be for NYE! I'll have to catch it at least once. Maybe after I move there.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:48 AM   #12
DVC~OKW~96
I'm not big on gold as a color. As a metal...that's another story
Spreading the word is an important thing!

Crowded doesn't quite cover it!

We go nearly each year, and have seen some amazing results of capacity numbers. Once in Mexico, the CMs were up on the walls shouting to guests who were actually LOCKED in a human traffic jam and could not move. Scary.

We may not stay until Midnight, but we do love to be in EPCOT for at least a couple of hours on NYE evening... worth the fun, but not if you don't like shoulder to shoulder capacity. (Seriously)!

I look into the window of my mind
Reflections of the fears I know I've left behind
I step out of the ordinary
I can feel my soul ascending
I am on my way
Can't stop me now
And you can do the same
What have you done today to make you feel proud?
It's never too late to try
What have you done today to make you feel proud?
Heather Small
DVC~OKW~96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:54 AM   #13
MonorailMan
Relatively Cheap Date, Dewars Always Works
I stared at the wall for about 6 hours and had a conversation with a shoe

You wanna hear something insane? I completely forgot that I've been to WDW during NYE! This should be proof that I've been insanely busy over the past few months considering I marched in the parade that introduced SpectroMagic to the world during that trip! That was the only time I've been to WDW 2 years in a row: I went for Christmas in 1990 and NYE in 1991. And now that I think about it, the crowds are definitely insane for both events.
MonorailMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:59 PM   #14
L&Lfan
DIS Veteran

I was at WDW on NYE 1975! KC & the Sunshine Band were performing in front of Cinderella Castle. IT WAS INSANE! I've never been in a bigger crowd! You couldn't move except along with the massive throng......I'd never do it again, personally....
L&Lfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:33 PM   #15
rpmdfw
I feel similarly about the cha-cha, electric slide, and mambo #5
Bridezilla, Groomzilla and Gayzilla all rolled into one

We did NYE at a park once.

Just once.

NEVER. AGAIN!
rpmdfw is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: