Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
mindy327
DIS Veteran

Location: Chandler Arizona and exactly 381 miles away from Disneyland

Family of the Day... Tell me more.

What is the Family of the day on DCL? Kind of like family of the day at Disneyland? Were "know how to get to be the family at Disneyland" but any tricks or tips for DCL? What do you get to do? What are the perks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktpd-0zNqu8
Surprise DCL Video 2011 Mexican Riviera http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT0ZgMsEiFg
DCL 2003, 2006, 2008, 2011 WDW 2003, 2008, 2012
AP holders DL +100 x's NEXT: Disneyland whenever, and Fantasy Western 9/27/14
mindy327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:11 PM   #2
noahdove
DIS Veteran

Haven't heard of this...so, I am interested to know as well
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-10-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
tnshsms
Mouseketeer

I wanted to know the same thing!
Disneyland - May 2013
Disney Fantasy - May 2014
tnshsms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
ppiew
DIS Veteran

Last year on the cruise, the family of the day had been randomly selected at check in and when the ship opened for boarding, they were announced to everyone and were the first to board. Don't know if there were any other perqs with this.
ppiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:42 PM   #5
ep1229
Earning My Ears

We were picked as the first family to board the ship. It was quite a surprise. It was our first cruise. A lady came up to us as we were checking in and we were treated like VIPs. We didn't have to line up for anything. We also got a certificate. It was so cool because I never win anything. LOL!
ep1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:17 AM   #6
scamper45
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ep1229 View Post
We were picked as the first family to board the ship. It was quite a surprise. It was our first cruise. A lady came up to us as we were checking in and we were treated like VIPs. We didn't have to line up for anything. We also got a certificate. It was so cool because I never win anything. LOL!
that is awesome!! did u get to the port early? it must b random.....i leave on 11/20 i want to b family of the day....lol. i am really just happy to b on the ship!!!!
scamper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:23 AM   #7
J&K'sPrincessMommy
Mouseketeer

How great is that!

J&K'sPrincessMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:29 AM   #8
BealsRwe
DIS Veteran

We were selected as the Family of the Cruise by the Guest Services Team on our Wonder cruise in August (8/3/10-8/8/10). It is not something we asked for. It was a tough summer for our family, as I lost my Mom to Ovarian cancer 6/25/10. It was such an incredible surprise-such great pixie dust and magic. We received letters in our stateroom each day about the port, things to do. We also got goodies from room service such as cookies, a cheese tray, and petit fors. We were given the Castaway Getaway Package for use at Castaway Cay, and also invited to the concierge reception. We had our own special Family of the Cruise cast member, Zoe. She was wonderful! She also called us each day to check in.

I am not sure how or why we were selected...part of the Disney magic! We are actually sailing on a 7 night western coming up as an escape again. I have been the caregiver for my dad since my mom passed away. He passed away on 11/9/10 from Lymphoma. There is a sense of peace now that they are together again. Losing both parents so close, when they were so young (mom-62, Dad-67) has made 2010 a rough year. May be some extra pixie dust will fly our way on 11/27/10!

I was told that each team of crew onboard can pick a family of the cruise. Not sure how or why, but it was something I will never forget!

We actually found out onboard. We were not the First Family and announced, rather a special note was in our stateroom the 1st night of the cruise.

Platinum DCL
17 DCL cruises, 1 Carnival, 1 Royal Caribbean, and counting!!!
BealsRwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:38 AM   #9
peachygreen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BealsRwe View Post
We were selected as the Family of the Cruise by the Guest Services Team on our Wonder cruise in August (8/3/10-8/8/10). It is not something we asked for. It was a tough summer for our family, as I lost my Mom to Ovarian cancer 6/25/10. It was such an incredible surprise-such great pixie dust and magic. We received letters in our stateroom each day about the port, things to do. We also got goodies from room service such as cookies, a cheese tray, and petit fors. We were given the Castaway Getaway Package for use at Castaway Cay, and also invited to the concierge reception. We had our own special Family of the Cruise cast member, Zoe. She was wonderful! She also called us each day to check in.

I am not sure how or why we were selected...part of the Disney magic! We are actually sailing on a 7 night western coming up as an escape again. I have been the caregiver for my dad since my mom passed away. He passed away on 11/9/10 from Lymphoma. There is a sense of peace now that they are together again. Losing both parents so close, when they were so young (mom-62, Dad-67) has made 2010 a rough year. May be some extra pixie dust will fly our way on 11/27/10!

I was told that each team of crew onboard can pick a family of the cruise. Not sure how or why, but it was something I will never forget!

We actually found out onboard. We were not the First Family and announced, rather a special note was in our stateroom the 1st night of the cruise.
I just wanted to give you one of these Wow what a rough year. I'm glad you have some peace in your loss especially as it was so recent.

Family Trips to see the Mouse: WDW - October 2008, Nov 2012; DLR - May 2009, Oct 2012; DCL Magic - February 2011; DCL Magic - July 2012; DCL Fantasy - March 2013 Upcoming DCL - Wonder June 2014
peachygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:00 PM   #10
aliron682
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BealsRwe View Post
We had our own special Family of the Cruise cast member, Zoe. She was wonderful! She also called us each day to check in.

Zoe chose us as well last Nov. 22-25th on the Wonder. We are going again this Nov. 21st-24th and hope Zoe is still there so we can say Hi.

"If we all threw our problems in a pile and then saw everyone else's; we would grab ours back"
aliron682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:31 PM   #11
DisneyPups
Mouseketeer

Wow, that's amazing! I didn't know DCL did Family of the Cruise. That is some serious Pixie Dust!
DisneyPups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:54 PM   #12
hezkip@adelphia.net
Mom of 4 mouseketeers

We were Family of the Day on the 9/26/2010 Wonder cruise. It was completely random. We were in line to check in around 11:30ish & a crew member (gosh, i wish i remember her name...i was so excited i can't remember) came up and asked if it was our 1st cruise (it was) & how old my children were (12,8,6&4), where we were from and went on about how well behaved my children were and said she had a surprise for us. We were sent to check in & then another crew member (can't remeber again, I was crying happy tears & was sooo giddy) took us to the front of the Mickey & Minnie picture line and took our picture, then to the front of the kids club line & to the Mouse Ears. We were announced as Family of the Day & were the 1st to board the ship....absolutely so cool! Spent a good 20-30 min. wandering around by ourselves...kids spent time all by themselves in the Mickey pool....we received a certificate & each day a tray of goodies was brought to both of our rooms (family of 6, had to get 2 rooms). Very neat experience, one I don't think myself or my kids will forget! And my husband loved the whole skipping line stuff!
Casey
Mackenzie
WE LOVE DISNEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hezkip@adelphia.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:37 PM   #13
scamper45
Mouseketeer

soooo cool. What time did u arrive at the port?? Had u already checked in???
scamper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:49 PM   #14
ep1229
Earning My Ears

we got there about 11 am. We didn't get perks like BealsRwe. We just got to skip the lines and board the ship first. We didn't get letters or anything like that. We did get treats a couple of the nights.
ep1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:08 PM   #15
melsherard
Mouseketeer

We were chosen as family of the cruise by the Kids' Clubs crew... we got a note on the first night, then on the last night we had a lot of goodies on our bed... t-shirts, hats, and coloring books Very fun and exciting!! Check out my trip report in my signature line for pics

4 night Wonder trip report Jan 2009
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2085074

7 night Mexican Riviera March 13, 2011
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2684268
melsherard is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: