Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES! > disABILITIES Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2010, 11:55 PM   #16
Juliah
DIS Veteran

We use lidded cups that are designed for drinking coffee in the car, and they don't look childish since they are intended for adults. I've gotten some we like from Starbucks and others from Target.
Juliah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:09 AM   #17
Juliah
DIS Veteran

We use lidded cups that are designed for drinking coffee in the car, and they don't look childish since they are intended for adults. I've gotten some we like from Starbucks and others from Target.
Juliah is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2011, 02:27 AM   #18
brat
DIS Veteran

We also use travel cups. We also take the sippy lid and attach it to travel mugs. My fav sippy cups are ones a friend gave us that she got in Germany. They like a blown glass cup but have a sippy lid that goes inside the cup.They are clear plastic with colored plastic.
brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:46 AM   #19
MistressMerryweather
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Peach View Post
You might want to try Kleen Kanteen. They sell a sippy lid, and then you could transition into a regular sports top.

The bottles are not baby-ish looking at all!!

Cathy
Definitely, this! Adults use the sports bottle tops all the time. This is what our whole family takes when we go to Disney. They are stylish, which he may like, and you can get them in whatever size you like. My 2yo is using a 12oz. My 5.5yo and 7.5yo are using the 18oz. Dh and I are using the 27oz.

Also, the Thermos straw bottles are leak-proof. We use these, too. Here is the 18oz. http://shopthermos.com/detail/TMS+HS4010TG4
These, too. 24oz, plastic and leak-proof. http://shopthermos.com/detail/TMS+HP4000GR6

Me ~ DH ~ Ds(11) ~ Dd(9) ~ Ds(5) ~ Dd(3) ...our Sept. 2010 DW souvenir ~ Dd(1)

MistressMerryweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:17 PM   #20
MinnieVanMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymaker2003 View Post
I really like the Contigo mugs/water bottles. You press a button to drink from them (the button is at the neck of the bottle, so you can drink from it one handed). When you release the button, they automatically seal. If you drop it, it seals on the way to the floor. If you knock it over, it doesn't spill because it sealed as soon as you released the button.

The insulated 16 oz mug in Stainless is awesome. My DD (3) just got the Trekker cups and they are coming out with a smaller insulated one in January. The website is gocontigo.com

Target and Meijer sell a few of the Contigo products.
I just ordered two cups from Contigo. I hope they work out as they look like something he could use. Unfortunately, the shipping was the same as the cost of the cups.
MinnieVanMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:36 AM   #21
cancer_survivor_06
DIS Veteran

My dd7 still drinks from sippy cups of course my biggest problem is not just spilling unfortunately I am still working hard to break her throwing habit. I have consistently given her different sippy cups working w/ her till she learns to use for many reasons first finding the right cup for her to transition from the bottle and second if I leave home and don't have her cup and can't get one from the nearest store I go to I need an alternative. With that being said I began to make the transition from a sippy to a straw my main reason was due to her low tone I am hoping that the use of the straw will help her improve the tone in her mouth and help improve her speech skills. I currently have 4 styles of cups w/ straws we started w/ the first years disposable cups you can get plain colors or prints, after she caught on I gave her one of my older dd's thermos containers w/ the straw this is her fave since she has learned how to open and close the lid, I learned about the camelbak's a few months ago and it took a while and she didn't get frustrated and she mastered the camelbak what better way to build tone than to have to bite and suck at the same time, the forth style was purchased on our disney trip last month they had either a tink or sorcerer mickey light up twist top straw cup that I just couldn't pass on and she has figured out how to turn it on and off so she has fun w/ it as well.

good luck w/ the cups you picked up.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #22
chipsgirl
Earning My Ears

The only kind of cup my son would drink out of for the longest time is the Rubbermaid Litterless Juice Box. It's just a plain plastic juice box. You can actually buy regular straws and cut them to the right size instead of having to worry about cleaning them.

We found ours for a little under $3 at our local grocery store but they also have them on Amazon.com
chipsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:57 PM   #23
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodifla View Post
You can just used the kids cups they have with the tops and straws. Restaurants normally have them. I just save mine every time we get one at a restaurant for travel.
Exactly what we do. They also sell them as take and toss cups at Target, WalMart etc.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:25 AM   #24
MinnieVanMom
DIS Veteran

I just ordered two more cups because they work out so well.

Thanks for leading me to these cups. Is there a best way to clean them? RIght now I soak the lids and then put them in the top of the dishwasher.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #25
mickeymaker2003
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieVanMom View Post
I just ordered two more cups because they work out so well.

Thanks for leading me to these cups. Is there a best way to clean them? RIght now I soak the lids and then put them in the top of the dishwasher.
I'm glad the Contigo cups are working for you. I just rinse the lid under running water with the button pushed (so water can flow through it) for a few seconds and then put the lid and the cup in the top rack of the dishwasher. It seems to be working fine so far.
mickeymaker2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:06 PM   #26
arminnie
Tossed the butter kept the gin
I had to save it for "special" occasions (like when no one I knew would see me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerish View Post
I have some plastic glasses from Tupperware that have snap on lids with a straw hole. They came with a straw but soon switched to regular straws that are thrown out after use (sorry environment but I never figured out how to get the other straw clean). The lids fit on tightly and the straw hole has rubber like stuff in it to prevent leaks. If they get dropped or knocked over there is litte to no spillage.
My dad (who was in his late 80s) liked to use those cups with straws that you get in the hospital. I was horrified to find out how nasty the plastic straw part was after several days.

I had very good luck with putting some bleach in a tall glass of water. I would soak one end and turn it over to get the other end. No scrubbing and it came out perfectly clean and sterilized. Believe me it had nasty black gunk in those spirals.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:26 AM   #27
JohnnySharp2
No man stands as tall as when he stoops to help a child. Thank god Joshua has a very tall dad!

Some great tips on here , useful advice.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:20 AM   #28
MinnieVanMom
DIS Veteran

Yes, great ideas! I ordered two more and threw out 4 of the old cups. We also got adult water bottles on sale at Target so we all have contigo bottles. I think I am going to soak them in bleach one a week to get the lids super clean.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:22 AM   #29
MinnieVanMom
DIS Veteran

Last thought.

On our previous trip to WDW the TSA man looked at DS and said "Aren't you a little old for a stroller and sippy cup?"

Hopefully this time it will look more like a water bottle and we now walk in the airport, with my hand around his wrist.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #30
lucigo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieVanMom View Post
Last thought.

On our previous trip to WDW the TSA man looked at DS and said "Aren't you a little old for a stroller and sippy cup?"

Hopefully this time it will look more like a water bottle and we now walk in the airport, with my hand around his wrist.
Grrrrrr!!! Don't you hate it?!

We just returned from a quick Disney trip and I found a cup with a pop-up spout and a handle at Winn Dixie of all places. I put a C clip on the stroller (on the umbrella joint) and it was so useful for hanging that cup (and his hat, flashlight and ear muffs!)

As for the camelback, I had to cut a bigger hole in ours so DS7 doesn't have to bite down. The cup does have a round rubber valve inside the lid that you can take out so that soda doesn't spit out the top of it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: