Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #676
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheColtonsMom View Post
I as you know am absolutely a HUGE fan of surfs up. They are already on our agenda for our October trip. breakfast for sure and possibly trying dinner there. We are considering staying at one of the GN hotels for most of the stay and then 1 night at PPH. We really have found a love for this place! That is the only way we can afford it this trip (maybe) but hopefully with the AP rate our spring trip will be all onsite.

As far as the tree goes...One of the most beautiful trees I think I have ever seen. So much so ...and I don't think I have mentioned this anywhere yet...when we got home we went to Home Depot and and I bought after Christmas sale strands of both blue and green lights...bunches of them...So next year our tree or or house lights (maybe both) will be all lit up like the PCH Christmas tree. The pics do not do it justice at all it is amazing well worth the short walk through GCHs beautiful lobby to experience it.

I have not seen Mr Lincoln since I was a child...always something the parents wanted to do...I think I would appreciate it more now but this was Colton's first trip and didn't think he would appreciate it, so I did not pencil it in for our last trip, however in February Colton studied Mr Lincoln at school and when he looked over my shoulder at Lauries pics he said it needs to go on our list for October so we shall see what he thinks then.

I think maybe that empty spot at PPH needs to be a counter service place like WWS in the GCH. Maybe like fish & chips or something

I def think people think PPH is far away but they all go to eat at GCH and it is right across the street!

sorry the placement of your **** amused me condsidering his first name LOL

Laurie...Colton was so very excited by your Zoetrope pics! We stood there and watched it over and over on our trip but took not one picture. Would you mind pretty please if I "steal" a couple of those? He would like them for the wallpaper on his computer and maybe printed out for his memory board.
See now you're both getting me excited about returning for the Christmas season. I love Christmas any way.....but seeing my favorite place during my favorite holiday is almost too much to handle!!!!!

I'm glad Colton is excited about seeing the Lincoln show......it will interesting to see if he thinks he was real or not!

The counter service is a good idea, but I think they have something out at the pool that runs at least during the summer. The PCH Grill does fish-n-chips & they are so, so good!!!

Feel free to "steal" the zoetrope pics!!! Its so fun to go & watch that....crazy!!

I didn't notice the ******, did it do that on my post??? How weird is that? lol
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013

DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:13 PM   #677
DizNee Luver

We headed back to the motel to get ready for our 8:30pm dinner ressie at Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen. When we arrived there were beads everywhere.....but I was disappointed they weren't handing any out. They had a small table they were selling Mardi Gras things at! We were taken upstairs to the dining room. I was kinda hoping we'd be seated where we could listen to the band....but I've never been before & not sure that's even an option. This was in the lobby when we made our way upstairs.

The dining room was still pretty full for being this late in the evening, but with it being Fat Tuesday......I wasn't super surprised. Here is the menu(s).

I loved the light fixtures.....they were upside down parasols (sp?). I thought the pattern on the ceiling was really cool.

Since it was our "anniversary" (we were wearing our pins), the waiter offered us a glass of champagne......on the house!!

We got two starters to share. I ordered the Louisiana Crab Cake......oh my, my.....so good!!

Mike ordered the Soup 1-1-1 (Gumbo Ya-Ya, Creole Onion, Chef's Creation). The Chef's Creation was like gumbo & chili combined.....it was yummy!

The waiter took a picture of Mike & I toasting 27 years!!

Our entrees were next. I ordered the special--Jazz Kitchen Jumbalaya. This bowl was so big it could have fed our entire family!! In fact I was asked by a number of staff if I liked it because there was so much of it left when I was done. It was just WAY to much food....but very good!

Mike ordered the Royal Street Chicken. The picture doesn't look super appetizing, but he ate every bite & loved it!

Next up will be our dessert!!
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-19-2011, 08:34 PM   #678
DizNee Luver

So we ordered the Banana's Foster for 2. We found out they do this table side....so that was exciting!!

So the waiter wheels out the cook table.

Here's the ingredients: Butter, Brown Sugar & Bananas (good start)

The banana liquour & the rum (very nice start.....lol)

The waiter removes the banana & starts melting the butter & brown sugar.

The sugar starts to caramelize & so the bananas & banana liquour go in.

The waiter tells me that I should move back.....way back & get ready to shoot high. So I do as I'm told & turn the camera to capture this when the rum gets added!

I'm so glad the dining room had pretty much emptied out at this point.....could you imagine if someone had been sitting behind that puppy going off.......lol

So he finishes cooking off the rum.

He starts getting our dessert plated.

And here's the finished product!! Wow, wOW, WOW!!!!! I already had a thing for vanilla ice cream, caramel & bananas.....but this was heavenly!!

While we waited to pay our bill (with tip $100.50) I took pics of the dining room.

Ok, so this too was an expensive meal, but I can tell you I'd have NO problem going here again & again!!! The food was more our style & delicious!! I would love for the kids to see the Banana's Foster being made!!

Old 03-19-2011, 08:42 PM   #679
TheColtonsMom
DIS Veteran

Bananas Foster is one of my favorite desserts it is so yummy! Now if you can't afford the Jazz when you have the family go to Mimi's and try the bananas foster cheesecake so good!

My 2010 Christmas TR is at http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2613318
My 2011 Halloween PTR is at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....613318&page=29
Me Sherri , DH Brant ,DS6Colton
TheColtonsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:45 PM   #680
DizNee Luver

As we were leaving the restaurant, we took a picture of the band playing in front.

Here's a pic of the band inside.

Here's the Jazz Kitchen sign.

We wandered through Downtown Disney as we made our way back to the PPH.

A couple more pictures from the PPH.

I was happy to get a picture of the Goofy statue in the lobby with absolutely NO ONE in the background.....the lobby was dead when we got back around 10pm.

We went back up to our room & kicked our shoes off for the evening. So this concludes our Tuesday!!

Old 03-19-2011, 08:48 PM   #681
DizNee Luver

Quote:
Bananas Foster is one of my favorite desserts it is so yummy! Now if you can't afford the Jazz when you have the family go to Mimi's and try the bananas foster cheesecake so good!
Mimi's has good food, but I'll pass on the cheesecake......not a fan of it. I can take about 2 bites of it before the consistancy becomes an issue for me.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:40 PM   #682
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

I love Ralph Brennan's take out part. They have good food from that part, just don't try their coleslaw. It did not impress me.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:07 PM   #683
Trentmom
A Christmas"y" tag for a Christmas Freak!
Talk to you Sharky People Later!!!
Has a high Poodar

Animation Building looks awesome

Zoetroppe looks really neat too. Never heard that word before

How hard is it to get into one of the Lilly Belle Train rides? Do you make a reservation for it the same day? Trent would love that

Flag Retreat looks great. Never seen it at WDW. You can tell the one guy standing there in print shirt and ball cap was in service for sure by the way he was standing at attention during it all

Jazz Kitchen looked like a blast and that dessert looked so good
Old 03-19-2011, 11:13 PM   #684
kelmac284
I wish I lived near one of the parks so I could go anytime I wanted
He was so enamoured with her...

Great new installment. It really looks like you guys did some really fun stuff!!

Love the Lilly Belle! Mom and I did the Walk In Walt's Footsteps tour a few years back and the Lillby Belle was part of that but it was during the summer and I can't remember if the windows don't open or don't open very much but it was SWELTERING in there and between that and just walking around for several hours in the heat my mom ended up with a bit of heat stroke. She had to go back to the room and missed the meal at the end. I just wish we could have enjoyed it more but we were all SO hot it was tough!

Looks like you guys had a blast though and got some great photos!

We went to Jazz Kitchen on our trip in Dec. It was one of the few nice meals we had. We had ressies at Ariels, CC, the bbq and a few others and EVERYTHING got cancelled due to weather so we ended up going to Jazz and I think Storytellers. We love ST and go almost everytime but haven't gone to JK very much and we enjoyed it. I love the bannanas foster as well.

Seems like you guys really had a nice time and I am glad that the various places recognized your anniversary. Shane and I went a few years back and never had anyone even say happy anniversary much less do anything which I was kind of bummed about. We very rarely get to go at that time of year because of the kids school and such and so it was def a special occasion for us but I am glad they are getting better at acknowleging your special day! It really makes you feel like they care and are trying to make your time their special!!

Looking forward to the next installment but a little sad too because then it will be over and I won't have anyone to live vicariously through anymore LOL.

I so enjoy your reports and all your wonderful photos and feel like I am living it through you guys!!

Hope you have/had a nice night tonight!!

DL 1st trip 76 last trip 3/14 next trip ??
DW 1st trip 5/02 last trip 11/10 next trip ??
kelmac284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:17 AM   #685
DizNee Luver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
I love Ralph Brennan's take out part. They have good food from that part, just don't try their coleslaw. It did not impress me.
We've never stopped in for that......might have to check it out next trip!! Thanx for the tip on the coleslaw.....I usually like it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentmom View Post
Animation Building looks awesome

Zoetroppe looks really neat too. Never heard that word before

How hard is it to get into one of the Lilly Belle Train rides? Do you make a reservation for it the same day? Trent would love that

Flag Retreat looks great. Never seen it at WDW. You can tell the one guy standing there in print shirt and ball cap was in service for sure by the way he was standing at attention during it all

Jazz Kitchen looked like a blast and that dessert looked so good
The Animation building has all sorts of fun things to look at & try. They also have a few fun activities which we did later in our trip.....so we'll be going back to the Animation Bldg!!!

When you arrive at Disneyland, go up to the Main St Train Station & ask if they're giving rides on the Lilly Belle. If they are, they'll take a certain amount of people for 2 trips that day. If you get on the list....they'll tell you what time to return. If you don't get the first time......keep trying!!

Good eye on spotting the one veteran (or at least the only one that came forward)......they invite each branch of the service to come forward & stand at the flag pole for the ceremony.....it's really a nice touch. We've seen the ceremony with the Disneyland Band playing & also with the Dapper Dans singing. Both were really neat!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac284 View Post
Great new installment. It really looks like you guys did some really fun stuff!!

Love the Lilly Belle! Mom and I did the Walk In Walt's Footsteps tour a few years back and the Lillby Belle was part of that but it was during the summer and I can't remember if the windows don't open or don't open very much but it was SWELTERING in there and between that and just walking around for several hours in the heat my mom ended up with a bit of heat stroke. She had to go back to the room and missed the meal at the end. I just wish we could have enjoyed it more but we were all SO hot it was tough!

Looks like you guys had a blast though and got some great photos!

We went to Jazz Kitchen on our trip in Dec. It was one of the few nice meals we had. We had ressies at Ariels, CC, the bbq and a few others and EVERYTHING got cancelled due to weather so we ended up going to Jazz and I think Storytellers. We love ST and go almost everytime but haven't gone to JK very much and we enjoyed it. I love the bannanas foster as well.

Seems like you guys really had a nice time and I am glad that the various places recognized your anniversary. Shane and I went a few years back and never had anyone even say happy anniversary much less do anything which I was kind of bummed about. We very rarely get to go at that time of year because of the kids school and such and so it was def a special occasion for us but I am glad they are getting better at acknowleging your special day! It really makes you feel like they care and are trying to make your time their special!!

Looking forward to the next installment but a little sad too because then it will be over and I won't have anyone to live vicariously through anymore LOL.

I so enjoy your reports and all your wonderful photos and feel like I am living it through you guys!!

Hope you have/had a nice night tonight!!
The Lilly Belle wasn't part of our Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour....... So I'm glad we got the chance this time. They had windows open when we went......I heard people saying......hi people on the Lilly Belle!!

The Jazz Kitchen is definitely a place we'll be returning to. We've pretty much written the Rainforest Cafe off our list. The food there has gotten consistantly worse.....so not worth the money anymore.

We wore our Anniversary Buttons the whole trip........we got quite a bit of comments from them.....not near as much as we did the trip in 09. We had a couple CM's ask how many years & I said 27 & they said, were you two married when you were 5? yeah, that's it!!

Hard to believe I'm down to 2 days left. I'll have photopass pics to add down the road.......but the report will be over soon!

Old 03-20-2011, 02:12 PM   #686
DizNee Luver

Day 7 for me, Day 3 for Mike, March 9th.

I woke up early & decided to go in search of a mini-mart while Mike slept. It ended up being quite a walk, but it was quiet & beautiful out.......I took pictures on my way back from the store.

I went back up to the room & Mike had already showered, so I went in to clean up. We decided not to be in a rush this morning, as we were heading to DCA at 10am.

We went downstairs & had a quick breakfast at the Surfside Lounge.

We went up & ordered & then took pics from around the lounge area.

I had the Strawberry Creme Cheese Pastry....tasty!

Mike had the Breakfast Machaca Burrito....it was huge!!

Old 03-20-2011, 02:30 PM   #687
DizNee Luver

Here are some more pictures from the lounge area.

After finishing breakfast, we walked over to the GCH & headed to the DCA entrance. This is a nice little perk for the resort hotel guests to have this private entrance. We wandered into the park & headed towards the Hollywood Backlot. The park wasn't open yet, so we did a little window shopping while we waited for the rope drop. Once 10am hit, we went in to the backlots.

Sully came out & so we went & had our picture taken.

We were on a mission to get our Disney Visa picture & Meet-n-Greet. We could have done this everyday last summer on our trip & we never got there. They have a small area for this private meet-n-greet & the photopass photographers take your picture that you can pick up later in the day. You receive one free 5x7 per day.

When we were heading back out of the backlots area, we saw Goofy!

Our next destination was the Pier area, but we had to get some pictures along the way. We stopped to have a pic done with GRR in the background.

Mike got a picture of the orange tree.

When we crossed over the bridge towards the Pier, we noticed a short line for Sailor Mickey......so we stopped to say hello!

Loved this one!

Old 03-20-2011, 02:50 PM   #688
TheColtonsMom
DIS Veteran

Lots of great character pics this episode...I LOVE the one where you are saluting with sailor Mickey! Must recreate this with Colton on our next trip I can just see it in my head already!

My 2010 Christmas TR is at http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2613318
My 2011 Halloween PTR is at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....613318&page=29
Me Sherri , DH Brant ,DS6Colton
TheColtonsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:14 PM   #689
DizNee Luver

After we said goodbye to Mickey, we went down to California Screamin'. There was a short stand-by line, so we hopped on. I think we waited less than 10 mins. The music soundtrack was working today!!! Last summer, both times I rode it, the music wasn't working & it freaked me out to hear every little clunk....so was relieved it was working!

We went to see what the line looked like for Toy Story Midway Mania....it was a 25 minute wait.....so we figured this would be the best it gets.

While waiting in line we took these photos.

We actually waited 25 mins!!

Once exiting the ride, I stopped to take these two photos.

We stopped & did the pose in the box....... I sure wish they could figure out how to eliminate the glare.....this was better than last summer....but still hard to see.

We took some random pics around the pier.

Everytime I had gone by Duffy's Photo area, he wasn't there......this time he was there....all by himself.....so sad!

Old 03-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #690
DizNee Luver

Quote:
Lots of great character pics this episode...I LOVE the one where you are saluting with sailor Mickey! Must recreate this with Colton on our next trip I can just see it in my head already!
I love finding the characters with little to no line!!! So worth it to go in the "off" seasons!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: