DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #436
Sir William
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora1959 View Post
We were there in May/June 2012 and I really liked the adult pool area. I do wish that they had kept it. I also would have preferred a hot tub that wasn't over-run with kids that are screaming and have no appreciation for it's location. Whenever we walked by the ones that overlook the beach there were no adults nearby, except ones with babies. In a perfect world they would keep a kid-free area with nice views.

We were there last week and on their survey I made the same basic comment about Ama Ama. DW and I were there for sunset and surrounded by kids. I'm OK with kids, after all it's Disney, but I suggested they need to have an adult only dining area within the restaurant.
DL 1956; DL 1961; DL 1963; DL 1972; WDW 1979; DL 1983; WDW 1994; WDW Mar 1996; WDW (SOG) Aug 2000; WDW (SOG) Jan 2001; WDW (SOG) Jan 2005; Disney Magic, Western Caribbean, Jan 2011; WDW July 2011 (off-site); DVC (SSR) July 2010; Disney Magic, Bahamas, May 2012; WDW (SSR) May 2012; DVC (Aulani) May 2012; Aulani Apr 2013; DVC (SSR & BWV) June 2013; WDW (VWL) Mar 2014; Disney Dream, Bahamas, Mar 2014
Sir William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #437
Aurora1959
The glorious day when they go back to school
I've never gotten it in different doses
now if I could just get some of those chocolates

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeadude View Post
We went for our 40th anniversary and the concierge at Auluni made reservations for us at Azur, in the Marriott, right next door. We sat outside by their pond under the stars. OMG! There were only 2 tables for 2 on the grass area with long linen table clothes and candles. The chef is from Italy and the food reflected it. What an experience something right out of a romantic movie.
Wow - definitely saving that for later. Sounds like it was wonderful. We do a whole Hawaii one year, cruise the next. This year is an Alaskan Cruise, so next year we will do Aulani again. And I'm certainly going to remember that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir William View Post
We were there last week and on their survey I made the same basic comment about Ama Ama. DW and I were there for sunset and surrounded by kids. I'm OK with kids, after all it's Disney, but I suggested they need to have an adult only dining area within the restaurant.
I agree, I'm OK with kids too. But I also think that while the kids need an "adult-free" zone, we need a "kid-free" zone too. I really like the quiet pool area on the ship and took advantage of the same thing while at Aulani. I'm not saying the area has to be huge either. And rowdy and/or rude adults wouldn't be welcome either. In fact, I wouldn't mind tweens and teens if they were conducting themselves in a mature manner either. It's all about having a nice quiet zone where you can relax. It's very hard to do that when a 4 year old is screaming, jumping or what not. And they deserve to do that screaming and jumping, let's just do it where all the other kids are doing it too.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #438
lchute1158
Mouseketeer

I am a new owner at Aulani, and new to DVC. Just booked our first visit December 1st for my daughters 5th birthday.

Disney Fantasy January 25, 2014 (45th birthday cruise!), Disney Wonder May 17, 2014 (Weekend Getaway), Disney Dream Feb 24, 2013
Hong Kong Disneyland 2011, WDW x4, DLR CA x100 plus (Annual Pass Holder)(frequent visitor since 1969)
DVC Owner - AUL, VGC, HHI

lchute1158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #439
bigskyernurse

Pick ME! Pick ME!

Just added on at Aulani!! Can't wait to stay there in January, 2015 for our honeymoon!!
Old 05-22-2013, 10:36 PM   #440
asunutgirl
Mouseketeer

I can't believe I haven't found this thread until now. I need to read the whole thing when I have time.

We are Aulani owners - bought on the Fantasy last August. We have a very old timeshare that we inherited that is terrible and have been trying to decide what to do with it. We drove by Aulani when it was under construction and were very intrigued with the idea of Disney in Hawaii. I made my husband go to the DVC presentation on the ship because I wanted the shipboard credit. Of course, we didn't win that but ended up buying 160 points while we are on the ship. We've gotten rid of the old one!

We have our first trip booked for August and we can't wait! 2 grown ups, 2 kids. We are all SCUBA divers so we are very excited. Mickey and great diving in one trip!
Old 05-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #441
honeylove
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by asunutgirl View Post
I can't believe I haven't found this thread until now. I need to read the whole thing when I have time.
Same here! We bought our initial set of points in May 2012, after staying there on the hotel side for my DH's conference next door. I always wanted to learn more about the DVC and so we scheduled a tour; hook, line and sinker, we were reeled in! We just added on a couple weeks ago so we won't have to borrow for trips to WDW!

We live here and yet, I still enjoy doing the staycation thing (only at Aulani)!

honeylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #442
deploylinux
Earning My Ears

Just purchased our first DVC points at Aulani (350 pts, villa 11E if I remember). We are in San Diego so hawaii, dvc cruises, and disneyland are now part of our recurring vacation planning....

What I still need to work out is whether we'll really need to get a rental car when visiting (I find driving in unfamiliar locations stressful as I'm very safety concious). And, also how we can save on food costs...the in room family meal rates seem out of this world.... If there is a reasonable cost onsite buffet or a simple restaurant we can walk to with kids that would be ideal.

Also while dreaming, if disney had cruises between west coast and hawaii or a good deal for visiting the other islands during extended stays....
deploylinux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #443
elrod1
Earning My Ears

Someone said earlier that the outdoor hydrotherapy gardens at the spa would be operational again by the 24th of this month. Can anyone verify or refute?
elrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:33 PM   #444
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by elrod1 View Post
Someone said earlier that the outdoor hydrotherapy gardens at the spa would be operational again by the 24th of this month. Can anyone verify or refute?
They reopened on the 22nd and were up and running on the 24th when we were there
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #445
honeylove
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deploylinux View Post
What I still need to work out is whether we'll really need to get a rental car when visiting (I find driving in unfamiliar locations stressful as I'm very safety concious). And, also how we can save on food costs...the in room family meal rates seem out of this world.... If there is a reasonable cost onsite buffet or a simple restaurant we can walk to with kids that would be ideal.

Also while dreaming, if disney had cruises between west coast and hawaii or a good deal for visiting the other islands during extended stays....
I guess it depends on what you want to do? Aulani does have a shuttle that will take you to the mall (2x/wk) and such, and you could do the excursions where they will take you out via their shuttles. But if you want to go and eat off property that may be complicated or even to get to the North Shore.

Honestly, all the food on property is pricey. Its equal to dining at Disneyland everyday. They have one buffet called the Makahiki but that adds up in cost very quickly. There are restaurants across the resort, but that too is limited.

Oh and they had a cruise from SoCal to Hawaii last year. Last I heard they were going to do another one, but not too sure when that one is going to happen.

honeylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #446
JWG
DIS Veteran

Hey all - just wanted to tell all of you Aulani owners - go somewhere else for New Years!!

I'm trying to book 12/22 - 1/3 and there is nothing 12/29 - 1/1. I mean, nothing. We have a 2BR for 12/22-12/28. Then we have a studio from 12/28-12/31 with a second studio for 12/28 - 12/29.

So, we still need 12/29 - 1/3 for one group and 12/31-1/3 for the 2nd. I really think that WDW would be much better for all of you this year.

JWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #447
TifffanyD
Agreeing and making sense are not the same thing
I need to reload

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG View Post
Hey all - just wanted to tell all of you Aulani owners - go somewhere else for New Years!!

I'm trying to book 12/22 - 1/3 and there is nothing 12/29 - 1/1. I mean, nothing. We have a 2BR for 12/22-12/28. Then we have a studio from 12/28-12/31 with a second studio for 12/28 - 12/29.

So, we still need 12/29 - 1/3 for one group and 12/31-1/3 for the 2nd. I really think that WDW would be much better for all of you this year.
Sorry, we paid our dues (literally!)
TifffanyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #448
asunutgirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:

We will be on the Dream for NYE so we aren't clogging up Aulani for you. Must be someone else.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:20 AM   #449
Cinderpamela
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Have been stalking my 7 month window and managed to get a 1bedroom from 12/25- checkin out on 12/30 but that's it! Everything is booked and it's going to be a busy holiday season at Aulani! (making me wish I would have gotten Aulani as my home resort, didn't realize then how much we would love it there!)

Would have loved to stay at least another day or two at Aulani, but now I think our plan will be to Island hop over to Maui.... not too bad of a plan B!

2014-November-Disneyland VGC 2013-Christmas at Aulani2012-November-Grand Cali 2012-July-Aulani 2011-1st trip to WDW-Christmas at Wilderness Lodge! 2010-Christmas-time@DLR and CLUB 33!! 2009-Christmas-time @ DLR 2008-Birthday @DLR 2007-PPH @ DLR
2005-DLH 1st Family Trip to DLR 1991-Spring Break Disneyland 1973-First trip to Disneyland
Cinderpamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:29 AM   #450
Sir William
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deploylinux View Post

What I still need to work out is whether we'll really need to get a rental car when visiting (I find driving in unfamiliar locations stressful as I'm very safety concious). And, also how we can save on food costs...the in room family meal rates seem out of this world.... If there is a reasonable cost onsite buffet or a simple restaurant we can walk to with kids that would be ideal....

Resort restaurants in Hawaii,not just Aulani, are pricey. Kapolei, about 5 miles eastward, has a number of low to moderately priced restaurants. But you'll need a car to get there. There is also a Safeway, Wal-Mart, and Target where you can buy groceries, though you will note that prices are generally higher than those on the mainland.

If you want to do anything on Oahu besides enjoy all that the Aulani has to offer, you are either going to need a car or pay high prices to go on the various tours. Driving in Hawaii, however, is about as stress free as you can get as most drive the speed limit and are usually courteous.
DL 1956; DL 1961; DL 1963; DL 1972; WDW 1979; DL 1983; WDW 1994; WDW Mar 1996; WDW (SOG) Aug 2000; WDW (SOG) Jan 2001; WDW (SOG) Jan 2005; Disney Magic, Western Caribbean, Jan 2011; WDW July 2011 (off-site); DVC (SSR) July 2010; Disney Magic, Bahamas, May 2012; WDW (SSR) May 2012; DVC (Aulani) May 2012; Aulani Apr 2013; DVC (SSR & BWV) June 2013; WDW (VWL) Mar 2014; Disney Dream, Bahamas, Mar 2014
Sir William is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: