DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 06:09 AM   #2296
Amunet
DIS Veteran

Oh! I am jealous of you owners! I recently became enamored with this resort when researching accommodations at DL. Little did I know how popular it is in July Hopefully one day I would be able to stay too ^_^

Past Disney Trips
Disneyland 199520052013
Disney World 2008 CBR (Honeymoon) • 2011 POFQ • 2012 AoA/POR • 2013 AKV/CBR
Disney Cruise 2012 ~ Graduation
Amunet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #2297
5ofus
DIS Veteran

Hi everybody, I hope you don't mind me joining in on this thread!

I'm coming over to the US from Australia with my DH and three sons (2,4 and 6) in September for ten days at Disneyland. Thanks to the kindness of a friend who I met through the DIS, I am renting points for us to spend two nights in a studio room. I know we're going to be a bit squishy, but this is probably the only time a stay at DGC will be in our budget so we'll manage. Not to mention we're used to camping and being on top of each other then

I'm slowly reading my way through this entire thread (currently up to page 45 which was way back in 2011!) and it's been a wonderful source of information as well as helping me to get even more excited about the trip.

A couple of points about our trip that make this even more wonderful. Our boys don't know we're going to Disneyland at all! We are primarily going to the US for a friends' wedding in Vegas and the kids know about that, but NOTHING about the Disneyland part We plan on telling them the day before we drive to Anaheim (DS1 is a planner and will need the day to get in the right mind-frame) by doing a pass the parcel with the last gift being shirts saying "We're going to Disneyland!" and park maps. To add to the excitement, my DH doesn't know that we're staying at GCV! I booked it on the sly and since he's happy to let me do all the planning I've just omitted a few details from my conversations with him. We're staying at HoJos for the 8 nights after our 2 nights at GCV and he thinks we're staying there for all ten. I'm not telling HIM my little secret at all and will just drive straight up to the entrance of the Grand Californian and wait for the lightbulb to go on

Anyway, I'll continue reading through all the wonderful posts on here, but if I have any questions after all that, I'll be posting again 72 days until we fly out!!!

5ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-25-2013, 09:08 PM   #2298
JoRo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ofus View Post
Hi everybody, I hope you don't mind me joining in on this thread!

I'm coming over to the US from Australia with my DH and three sons (2,4 and 6) in September for ten days at Disneyland. Thanks to the kindness of a friend who I met through the DIS, I am renting points for us to spend two nights in a studio room. I know we're going to be a bit squishy, but this is probably the only time a stay at DGC will be in our budget so we'll manage. Not to mention we're used to camping and being on top of each other then

I'm slowly reading my way through this entire thread (currently up to page 45 which was way back in 2011!) and it's been a wonderful source of information as well as helping me to get even more excited about the trip.

A couple of points about our trip that make this even more wonderful. Our boys don't know we're going to Disneyland at all! We are primarily going to the US for a friends' wedding in Vegas and the kids know about that, but NOTHING about the Disneyland part We plan on telling them the day before we drive to Anaheim (DS1 is a planner and will need the day to get in the right mind-frame) by doing a pass the parcel with the last gift being shirts saying "We're going to Disneyland!" and park maps. To add to the excitement, my DH doesn't know that we're staying at GCV! I booked it on the sly and since he's happy to let me do all the planning I've just omitted a few details from my conversations with him. We're staying at HoJos for the 8 nights after our 2 nights at GCV and he thinks we're staying there for all ten. I'm not telling HIM my little secret at all and will just drive straight up to the entrance of the Grand Californian and wait for the lightbulb to go on

Anyway, I'll continue reading through all the wonderful posts on here, but if I have any questions after all that, I'll be posting again 72 days until we fly out!!!
Very excited for your trip! GCV are fun and yes studio is cozy with our 4 but still fun. The breakfast buffet is fun at GCV. Take advantage of the early day entrance from the parks. Go to Giradellis for your free chocolate sample but IMO skip the ice cream over priced. Fresh caramel corn by soaring. Take advantage of FP and single riders. Do the flag ceremony at DL Ernie is amazing he has kept it going for over 20 years. Enjoy the little things of the park because its where it all started with Walt. Excited for your family!

Oct '14 GCV DD8 bday, 9 year anniversary and halloween party
April 2015 VGC Spring Break
July Disney Cruise and WDW
Nov first thanksgiving Aluani
Dec 2015 DL :
HMM where to go 2016
JoRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #2299
5ofus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoRo View Post
Very excited for your trip! GCV are fun and yes studio is cozy with our 4 but still fun. The breakfast buffet is fun at GCV. Take advantage of the early day entrance from the parks. Go to Giradellis for your free chocolate sample but IMO skip the ice cream over priced. Fresh caramel corn by soaring. Take advantage of FP and single riders. Do the flag ceremony at DL Ernie is amazing he has kept it going for over 20 years. Enjoy the little things of the park because its where it all started with Walt. Excited for your family!
Thanks for the tips! I've been to DL 5 times before, but it's been 8 years since my last trip to Anaheim. DH has been twice and DS1 and DS2 have been to Tokyo Disneyland, but none of he kids have been to Anaheim

We have ten full park days so we'll be taking some time to do the little things and have some down time. The day we arrive and check in is not a park day so we'll spend time wandering around DTD, looking for our brick and hopefully chillin by the pool. I keep imagining my kids doing things at DL (DS1 riding Peter Pan, DS2 meeting Jake, DS3 chasing Mickey..) and I get butterflies in my stomach and tears in my eyes So happy to be going back to my happy place

Old 06-25-2013, 11:22 PM   #2300
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Quote:
We have ten full park days so we'll be taking some time to do the little things and have some down time. The day we arrive and check in is not a park day so we'll spend time wandering around DTD, looking for our brick and hopefully chillin by the pool. I keep imagining my kids doing things at DL (DS1 riding Peter Pan, DS2 meeting Jake, DS3 chasing Mickey..) and I get butterflies in my stomach and tears in my eyes So happy to be going back to my happy place
I'm so excited for you and your family. Sounds like you have an awesome set of surprises for them all. I hope your trip is magical!

Disneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - S. Caribbean Oct 2014 Magic, E. Caribbean Nov 2013 Fantasy, Mexican Riviera Mar 2012 Wonder, Bahamas B2B Nov 2011 Dream, Panama Canal Jan 2011 Wonder, Bahamas Nov 2009 Wonder
Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand
Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:17 AM   #2301
XMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Since you will be able to slow down and enjoy, my kids favorite thing to do is to go to the animation academy and turtle talk with Crush at CA Adv. We spend hours in there on hot or rainy days. Another thing not to miss in my opinion is the Aladdin show. The best seats are the second section after the big aisle on the floor. We try to grab a front row in that section and you can see everything included in the show much better (don't want to give away specifics). Since you are staying at The Grand a great place to eat is Whitewater Snacks. We always get our chicken nachos fix and my hubby loves their burger that has pastrami on it.

Let us know what other questions you come up with!
Old 06-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #2302
TLPL
DIS Veteran

I can't wait till they replace Goofy Sky School with something quieter. We stayed there during one of the Grad Night and those kids screamed all night. Our other home resort is AKV, i remember they actually have a card in the room reminding guests to keep it down at night because of the animals. I guess in California it is OK to be as loud as you want in the middle of the night right in front of people's bedrooms.

-February: WDW/ DCL - Bay Lake Tower/ 7-Night Western Caribbean Cruise on Disney Fantasy/ Villas at Grand Floridian
-August: Vero Beach

-Western Caribbean Cruise on Disney Wonder/ Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas

TLPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #2303
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLPL View Post
I can't wait till they replace Goofy Sky School with something quieter. We stayed there during one of the Grad Night and those kids screamed all night.
...I guess in California it is OK to be as loud as you want in the middle of the night right in front of people's bedrooms.
It is perfectly acceptable for guests (grad night or anyone) to scream on an attraction like Sky School.

The easiest way to avoid the screams is to request a pool view, since Goofy Sky School is unlikely to change anytime soon (the re-theme is only 2 years old).
Old 06-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #2304
XMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I can't wait till they replace Goofy Sky School with something quieter. We stayed there during one of the Grad Night and those kids screamed all night. Our other home resort is AKV, i remember they actually have a card in the room reminding guests to keep it down at night because of the animals. I guess in California it is OK to be as loud as you want in the middle of the night right in front of people's bedrooms.
We stay park view often and it has never bothered us. It seems to add to the excitement of the theme park view. I'm sure what you experienced was isolated to Grad Nights. Try to remember back to when you were18 years old and were out later than ever and are celebrating a great accomplishment. It would be strange to tell a bunch of people that they can't scream as loud as they want on a roller coaster. Maybe check if it is Grad Night Season before your next stay and if it is, choose a pool view. Hopefully you were still able to enjoy the rest of your nights since Grad Night is usually Thursday & Friday nights only.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #2305
TLPL
DIS Veteran

I am saying this is a bad park design. They knew there will be a deluxe hotel right there at the edge of the park, why did they place a roller coaster (not an enclosed one) right in front of it? You Story maniac, dark rides.... Things like that would be a much better choice.

-February: WDW/ DCL - Bay Lake Tower/ 7-Night Western Caribbean Cruise on Disney Fantasy/ Villas at Grand Floridian

Old 06-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #2306
5ofus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am saying this is a bad park design. They knew there will be a deluxe hotel right there at the edge of the park, why did they place a roller coaster (not an enclosed one) right in front of it? You Story maniac, dark rides.... Things like that would be a much better choice.
I thought the DVC wing was added well after the park was built? The roller coaster has been there since DCA opened hasn't it? Under a different name? It'd be more due to bad hotel design than park design if this is the case.

Sorry the noise affected your stay

Old 06-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #2307
carissa1970
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I thought the DVC wing was added well after the park was built? The roller coaster has been there since DCA opened hasn't it? Under a different name? It'd be more due to bad hotel design than park design if this is the case.

Sorry the noise affected your stay
Yes, it was added much later.

carissa1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #2308
TLPL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carissa1970 View Post

Yes, it was added much later.
Yes it was built much later, but the expansion pad was reserved for it since day one. They planned the whole laid out of GC along with the DCA. It didn't just happened that they have a piece of land that just happened to be in between the pool and the edge of the theme park.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #2309
Breyean
DVC Since '93

Quote:
Yes it was built much later, but the expansion pad was reserved for it since day one. They planned the whole laid out of GC along with the DCA. It didn't just happened that they have a piece of land that just happened to be in between the pool and the edge of the theme park.
Maybe they had it all planned, but then why didn't they just build the DVC wing when the hotel was built?

That area used to be a nice big grassy area. In fact, when the hotel rearranged the locations of some of the facilities that ring the pool, I recall going to that area and using the temporary gym that had been moved there, under tents.

They certainly didn't plan that out too well.

And you'd have to think it would have been a lot cheaper to build the "addition" as part of the original hotel than doing it separately a few years later.

As another poster said, the problem is easily solved - just don't take a theme park view. But I'll tell you, the pool can be noisy, too, since the noise has no where to go and sort of bounces off all the walls of the hotel.

You might try the Challenge Trail view. We had that once last year and it was quite nice. Looked out over the GCH entrance to DCA and the trees in the Challenge Trail. We could sort of hear WOC (I think all of Anaheim hears WOC) but not like in the room facing the park.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:48 PM   #2310
TLPL
DIS Veteran

Dont get me wrong, I like hearing the sound of the park and the scream and laughter from our room ..... during the day! But Not at 2 o'clock in the morning!!
This year was the first time they move the Grad Night after hour private party to DCA. I think they should do better with the planning of the event next year. May be close the Sky School roller coaster at mid night. Remember California Screaming has sream sheilds, GSS does not.

And the reason why they did not build the DVC wing at the first place was the same reason why did not build Cars Land or Tower Of Terror or Bug's Land....rtc. when they first open DCA.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: