DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 10:27 PM   #1816
kerickson
VGC Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyta
We bought points this week at VGC. Had purchased Aulani on our last DCL cruise in November but ended up not signing the contract after we got home as I didn't want my home to be Aulani. We live in So CA and wanted the 11 month window option for VGC.
Does anyone know how often VGC has been available either on the resale market & Disney direct (well the disney direct would I guess only be after the resale and ROFR?)
I have only seen 3 available on resale market in the last few months- 2 with too many points than I desired & the other with point cost > $100 and we thought we would just prefer to buy direct.
We now have to decide if we want to sign on a 3rd contract for another 50 points but have been debating possibly owning points at an alternate DVC resort and buying much cheaper on the resale market? if we decide resale- there seem to be an abundance of non VGC options. Just wondering if we pass on the 50 pt VGC contract we were wait listed for how often they have been coming up available again in recent history?

It didn't seem worth saving <$2500-3000 on our contract to have the restrictions of the resale market. does this seem crazy thinking? I know it is a good chunk of $$ but it keeps our options open to the entire collection that I am uncertain how much we would use??
When do you think you will travel and will you want to visit WDW? We have a larger contract at SSR (direct) and then 100pts at VGC(also direct) bought SSR before VGC was available, but it actually works out great for us. Often visit DLR in May/early June or early Oct and haven't had a problem booking at 7mo I usually book a couple of night using VGC points, then extend at 7mo. I also know in the rare occasion we can't get VGC we can get Aulani, WDW or non DVC. Even though it's not a great use of points, I like the back up of being able to book Disney Collection or Concierge. I would love to have all VGC points, but then we wouldn't have as many. Not ensure about direct vs indirect, but I do like the flexibility to book outside locally and not have to fly to WDW or Aulani. We've stayed at Del Coronado and Squaw Valley on points.

kerickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:56 PM   #1817
hjgaus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthilk View Post
I wouldn't call it free. You pay for the parking in your dues along with maintaince for the lot.
Of course paying for ANYTHING in annual dues will always be apart of timeshares! Although in our case when you live so close to travel in your own CARS (that's more than 1) sometimes the word FREE seems GREAT!!
- Husbands car = FREE My son's car = FREE & My car = $22 a day! ( sometimes I like to valet when taking other teenage son back n forth to school activities!!)
hjgaus is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2012, 04:37 AM   #1818
miyta
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerickson View Post
When do you think you will travel and will you want to visit WDW? We have a larger contract at SSR (direct) and then 100pts at VGC(also direct) bought SSR before VGC was available, but it actually works out great for us. Often visit DLR in May/early June or early Oct and haven't had a problem booking at 7mo I usually book a couple of night using VGC points, then extend at 7mo. I also know in the rare occasion we can't get VGC we can get Aulani, WDW or non DVC. Even though it's not a great use of points, I like the back up of being able to book Disney Collection or Concierge. I would love to have all VGC points, but then we wouldn't have as many. Not ensure about direct vs indirect, but I do like the flexibility to book outside locally and not have to fly to WDW or Aulani. We've stayed at Del Coronado and Squaw Valley on points.
We will want vgc in late oct, mid dec and late winter. WDW not sure as we have never been but probably semi off season if there is one..... No summer no major holiday and no spring break. We are thinking about a small contract at Saratoga?
The vgc stays will likely be 2 nights to 4 or 5 max.

I foresee us going to wDW and aulani 1-2 times each in the next 5-6 years
miyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #1819
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyta View Post
We will want vgc in late oct, mid dec and late winter.
You will need the VGC home resort points to book in Oct and Dec, but late winter will be easier to book.
Quote:
What room type?
Once you stay in a 1 bedroom, you will be spoiled
After my first visit in a 1 bedroom, I added points

All my points are at VGC, and any more added points will likely also be at VGC. The lower initial point costs at WDW are tempting, but the high demand and small size of VGC make the home resort booking window very important.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #1820
miyta
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
You will need the VGC home resort points to book in Oct and Dec, but late winter will be easier to book.

What room type?
Once you stay in a 1 bedroom, you will be spoiled
After my first visit in a 1 bedroom, I added points

All my points are at VGC, and any more added points will likely also be at VGC. The lower initial point costs at WDW are tempting, but the high demand and small size of VGC make the home resort booking window very important.
Yes that is why my first plan was to only get VGC but 75 % of our use of points in the next 5 yrs would likely be WDW/Aulani. I am contemplating 2/3 my points at VGC and 1/3 at SSR. I was thinking it might still work out fine even in the years I want all VGC- sinice I would be ok with some last minute travel and off season dates that would be available at the 7mo point possibly

We will likely book studio or 1 br- studio if just me and the little ones. 1 br if DH & all 3 kids.

I might just say goodbye to the extra few thousands of dollars and have all the points at VGC. I have a little bit of time to decide on the add on contract. I don't think I will shop around for a resale VGC contract since the price pp seems to be more narrow and to keep with same member # & use year but that might be foolish choice.....

I still haven't seen any responses as to what has been happening lately with resale market of VGC- are they all getting snatched back up by Disney? it seems that most are resale at $95-110 point

choices....choices
Old 12-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #1821
hjgaus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We will want vgc in late oct, mid dec and late winter. WDW not sure as we have never been but probably semi off season if there is one..... No summer no major holiday and no spring break. We are thinking about a small contract at Saratoga?

I foresee us going to wDW and aulani 1-2 times each in the next 5-6 years

My advice from one SO CAL resident to another is to BUY DIRECT which ever resort you choose! The convenience of LIVING so close to Disneyland is too great to pass up!! Also if you need to combine your points for a 7 month reservation but nothing is available @ VGC you can stay @ the DLR Hotels! You can get your perks without the airfare! We have already visited Aulani this past June with just a 7 month out reservation so that shouldn't be an issue. If your trying to go off season times to WDW that shouldn't be too hard either. Majority of our points are at BCV purchased resale in 2008 but VGC points are from direct sales in 2009 & always borrow / combine for most of our VGC reservations so 7 months or less is usually not a problem for a few night stays! (Sometimes in the Grand Villa) We chose BCV to be close to Epcot and Hollywood Studios & only travel once or twice every few years ( due to attend Christmas 2013 - 14 because of discount WDW AP's for DVC members! ) PLUS we really MISS WDW Holidays! It's not all crammed into 2 parks like DL! We love BOTH places but if $$$ was the factor to sell DVC, we would sell BCV before VGC cause it's where we reside!!
Old 12-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #1822
miyta
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjgaus View Post
My advice from one SO CAL resident to another is to BUY DIRECT which ever resort you choose! The convenience of LIVING so close to Disneyland is too great to pass up!! Also if you need to combine your points for a 7 month reservation but nothing is available @ VGC you can stay @ the DLR Hotels! You can get your perks without the airfare! We have already visited Aulani this past June with just a 7 month out reservation so that shouldn't be an issue. If your trying to go off season times to WDW that shouldn't be too hard either. Majority of our points are at BCV purchased resale in 2008 but VGC points are from direct sales in 2009 & always borrow / combine for most of our VGC reservations so 7 months or less is usually not a problem for a few night stays! (Sometimes in the Grand Villa) We chose BCV to be close to Epcot and Hollywood Studios & only travel once or twice every few years ( due to attend Christmas 2013 - 14 because of discount WDW AP's for DVC members! ) PLUS we really MISS WDW Holidays! It's not all crammed into 2 parks like DL! We love BOTH places but if $$$ was the factor to sell DVC, we would sell BCV before VGC cause it's where we reside!!
thanks for the post- is I decided to buy non VGC would you really still recommend buying direct? I know i could use the points at the hotels at DLR but if I were to spend $100+ point I would just buy at VGC. THe only reason I was thinking SSR was for the lower cost per point and MF but I know the MF could take a jump- just like VGC had a nearly 6% this year.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:25 AM   #1823
hjgaus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
thanks for the post- is I decided to buy non VGC would you really still recommend buying direct? I know i could use the points at the hotels at DLR but if I were to spend $100+ point I would just buy at VGC. THe only reason I was thinking SSR was for the lower cost per point and MF but I know the MF could take a jump- just like VGC had a nearly 6% this year.
That depends on how many points you will be purchasing for your stay at any other given resort besides VGC. If you have planned out when & how many points you may need for SSR (50 points?) OR Aulani then maybe resale sounds great! Will you be needing to combine your points for 7 month ressies?
Will get the urge for addonitis to acquire more points down the road? Also, how many times will you be going out of state VS staying in your own backyard? Our 1st contract was purchased in FL because there was nothing by us at that time and yes it WAS cheaper to go resale also at that moment because we planned to use during the high season (450 points) NOW everything has changed for US since we started such as VGC right in our own backyard & the restrictions Disney has placed upon resale purchasers! (although we are the exception to the rule for NOW by buying BEFORE 2011 for it may not last long) THIS is why I say yes to any SO CAL buying DVC who wants to be spoiled by weekender staycations on sometimes short notices with the Disney Magic on hand (PAP's - YEAH) !! Everyone has their OWN reasons for DVC so if saving $$ in the long run is important for you then that must be your answer! ENJOY your time with DVC whichever resort you go to ! I know we do!!
Old 12-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #1824
miyta
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjgaus View Post
That depends on how many points you will be purchasing for your stay at any other given resort besides VGC. If you have planned out when & how many points you may need for SSR (50 points?) OR Aulani then maybe resale sounds great! Will you be needing to combine your points for 7 month ressies?
Will get the urge for addonitis to acquire more points down the road? Also, how many times will you be going out of state VS staying in your own backyard? Our 1st contract was purchased in FL because there was nothing by us at that time and yes it WAS cheaper to go resale also at that moment because we planned to use during the high season (450 points) NOW everything has changed for US since we started such as VGC right in our own backyard & the restrictions Disney has placed upon resale purchasers! (although we are the exception to the rule for NOW by buying BEFORE 2011 for it may not last long) THIS is why I say yes to any SO CAL buying DVC who wants to be spoiled by weekender staycations on sometimes short notices with the Disney Magic on hand (PAP's - YEAH) !! Everyone has their OWN reasons for DVC so if saving $$ in the long run is important for you then that must be your answer! ENJOY your time with DVC whichever resort you go to ! I know we do!!
Excellent things to think about. We havent been to dlr on a weekend for 20+ years. However, as the kids get older we will start having to buy the premium passes and likely weekend stays due to school.. The addl points are somewhat fluff from our original plan of what we were wanting-- -approx 10 day Disney vacation every 2-3 years then I changed the rules on DH and decided I wanted a little more to have short stays at grand
Old 12-11-2012, 08:13 AM   #1825
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

Quote:
We bought points this week at VGC. Had purchased Aulani on our last DCL cruise in November but ended up not signing the contract after we got home as I didn't want my home to be Aulani. We live in So CA and wanted the 11 month window option for VGC.
Does anyone know how often VGC has been available either on the resale market & Disney direct (well the disney direct would I guess only be after the resale and ROFR?)
I have only seen 3 available on resale market in the last few months- 2 with too many points than I desired & the other with point cost > $100 and we thought we would just prefer to buy direct.
We now have to decide if we want to sign on a 3rd contract for another 50 points but have been debating possibly owning points at an alternate DVC resort and buying much cheaper on the resale market? if we decide resale- there seem to be an abundance of non VGC options. Just wondering if we pass on the 50 pt VGC contract we were wait listed for how often they have been coming up available again in recent history?

It didn't seem worth saving <$2500-3000 on our contract to have the restrictions of the resale market. does this seem crazy thinking? I know it is a good chunk of $$ but it keeps our options open to the entire collection that I am uncertain how much we would use??
You are lucky to have been able to purchase. I've been on a waitlist to purchase 65 more points at VGC for over 7 months. I have March use year and I guess no one in that year wants to default or sale. If you have the option to to do a direct add on I would take it. I had purchased 50 points right before VGC sold out and now wish I'd gotten more at that time. What use year did you get?
Old 12-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #1826
miyta
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzia View Post
You are lucky to have been able to purchase. I've been on a waitlist to purchase 65 more points at VGC for over 7 months. I have March use year and I guess no one in that year wants to default or sale. If you have the option to to do a direct add on I would take it. I had purchased 50 points right before VGC sold out and now wish I'd gotten more at that time. What use year did you get?
Yes we we're excited to buy at VGC. We got march use year JUST KIDDING!!.
We were advised that there were people on the wait list for over 1.5 years. We wait listed for any use year and got June after a very short period of time. We were offered over 200 points and I am just struggling with how much I should buy direct vs resale at vgc. OR resale for another property. We have already signed for a portion of them direct. The price difference for resale vs direct just was not enough to entice us or make it worth the time for resale and the non direct options.
It's the additional amount that I am undecided on. For certain we know we want a fair amount direct and at vGC. Just trying to sort out if I can buy cheaper for a few of the points and if it will meet our needs
Old 12-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #1827
Breyean
DVC Since '93

Quote:
Yes we we're excited to buy at VGC. We got march use year JUST KIDDING!!.
We were advised that there were people on the wait list for over 1.5 years. We wait listed for any use year and got June after a very short period of time. We were offered over 200 points and I am just struggling with how much I should buy direct vs resale at vgc. OR resale for another property. We have already signed for a portion of them direct. The price difference for resale vs direct just was not enough to entice us or make it worth the time for resale and the non direct options.
It's the additional amount that I am undecided on. For certain we know we want a fair amount direct and at vGC. Just trying to sort out if I can buy cheaper for a few of the points and if it will meet our needs
We have 200 VGC points we bought direct last year after having been ROFR'd twice by Disney for resale contracts there.

Keep in mind, VGC has a pretty high point requirement per night. We have owned at OKW since 1993 and had spent most of our stays at WDW there, so we didn't fully take into account the big increase in # of points needed at VGC.

Of course, most of our stays at VGC are shorter than our WDW vacations because we can drive to SoCal easily and often.

We're now contemplating adding on more at VGC, but since we won't be needing a ton more, can't decide if the resale hassle is worth it. Closing costs on Ca are a lot more than at DVC in Fl and when you add that cost to a smallish contract, the resale vs direct difference isn't usually all that great.
Breyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #1828
NorCalDVC
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyean View Post

Of course, most of our stays at VGC are shorter than our WDW vacations because we can drive to SoCal easily and often.
Ironically, this may be the very reason we end up selling our VGC points. Never did I ever think I would utter "sell" and "VGC" in the same sentence. We have found that because we make short trips down to LA, we don't really need the amenities of a villa for just the two of us. Instead, we recently purchased points at Aulani because our trips to Honolulu are at least a week long and we find that having a villa (as opposed to a hotel room) adds greatly to our comfort level.
NorCalDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:02 AM   #1829
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalDVC View Post
Ironically, this may be the very reason we end up selling our VGC points. Never did I ever think I would utter "sell" and "VGC" in the same sentence. We have found that because we make short trips down to LA, we don't really need the amenities of a villa for just the two of us. Instead, we recently purchased points at Aulani because our trips to Honolulu are at least a week long and we find that having a villa (as opposed to a hotel room) adds greatly to our comfort level.
hmmm do you have March use year points ?
I would still keep my VGC even if I just stayed in a studio. The last time I paid cash for a DLR hotel room was Destination D and I had a great room deal at DLH for under $200 a night. We are looking at joining some family at DLR in May..VGC was totally booked already, of course, and my points are needed for a trip in 2014, so am staying at Paradise Pier with the rest of the family. Holy cow..nights range from$336-$389 (weeknight vs weekend) so that plus taxes put our 5 night PP stay at $2,018...for Paradise Pier! Ouch..A bit of a wake up call as to how much I appreciate owning VGC and not adding that cost to my vacations..Hotel rooms go up..up..up.. while my DVC is paid for.Yes, MF go up too, but not like that.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #1830
miyta
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzia View Post
hmmm do you have March use year points ?
I would still keep my VGC even if I just stayed in a studio. The last time I paid cash for a DLR hotel room was Destination D and I had a great room deal at DLH for under $200 a night. We are looking at joining some family at DLR in May..VGC was totally booked already, of course, and my points are needed for a trip in 2014, so am staying at Paradise Pier with the rest of the family. Holy cow..nights range from$336-$389 (weeknight vs weekend) so that plus taxes put our 5 night PP stay at $2,018...for Paradise Pier! Ouch..A bit of a wake up call as to how much I appreciate owning VGC and not adding that cost to my vacations..Hotel rooms go up..up..up.. while my DVC is paid for.Yes, MF go up too, but not like that.
We just paid $475 a night at the grand midweek on a discounted rate. I remember staying there for $149, the annual pass rate never seems to go below $249 recently and even those times are few and far between.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: