DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #1561
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyean View Post
If given the choice between a new DVC resort at DLH and the expansion of VGC, I'd vote for the latter. I already own at VGC and adding to the # of rooms available to me at 11 months would be a lot better than adding a new resort where I'd either have to buy more points to get that advantage or wait until 7 months like everyone else to stay at DLH DVC.

I've read reports that when they built the DVC rooms at VGC and added on a bunch of other hotel rooms, some of those were built so they could be converted into DVC rooms if so desired. If true, that would be great.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #1562
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Thanks. Didn't know that, and we were so anxious to get to the EMH at CA I didn't even really look at it except where she said to sign.

I have a question, though. We're going back in Sep and I realized even though I made the reservation at the 11 month window I didn't know then about room requests. So when we got back this week, I called MS and read them my preferred rooms, this time for a 1 bedroom.

I got to talking with the CM and he said rooms aren't assigned until a couple of weeks before arrival date.

When I checked in Monday, the CM at the front desk said rooms are assigned based on when you make the reservation, and some are determined by a difference of minutes as to who gets their choice over another person.

I've also on the boards that checking in early increases your chance of actually getting a room you specifically request.

I can see how the room assignments at 2 weeks and the use of time of reservation made can work together to determine your room.

What I'm not sure of is the part about checking in early. Does it really make a difference if the other 2 criteria are used?

I ask because on our next trip we MIGHT be able to get to VGC early, but it w/b a real hassle.

I even asked when checking out, and the CM suggested I call that morning and do check in over the phone while driving there.

Ever hear of that being done, and does that make a difference in getting the room you request before someone else snatches it up?

Thanks.
In May of last year, my friend arrived at DL the day before me and stayed at PPH. She went over to VGC at 7:00am and asked for a Paradise Pier view studio. They said we were assigned a room facing the rapids. She asked if they could check for any view facing World of Color, the cm went into the back room and came back with 6504, which is an awesome view. She got a text at 9:45am that it was ready! I was on my way out, she texted me when I was connecting in PHX that it was ready and we had a great view, I couldn't believe it. So getting there early does make a difference.
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2012, 11:57 PM   #1563
the donut
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I've read reports that when they built the DVC rooms at VGC and added on a bunch of other hotel rooms, some of those were built so they could be converted into DVC rooms if so desired. If true, that would be great.
Interesting - when we stayed there last week over the July 4th holiday, the bellhop told us that GCH was only running about 60-70% full for the summer. I think that would be and argument for conversion to DVC rooms since they aren't being occupied anyway. Then again, maybe the bellhop was just angling for a bigger tip (which we gave him).
the donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:07 AM   #1564
KAT4DISNEY
1st trip Disneyland 1969

Quote:
Thanks. Didn't know that, and we were so anxious to get to the EMH at CA I didn't even really look at it except where she said to sign.

I have a question, though. We're going back in Sep and I realized even though I made the reservation at the 11 month window I didn't know then about room requests. So when we got back this week, I called MS and read them my preferred rooms, this time for a 1 bedroom.

I got to talking with the CM and he said rooms aren't assigned until a couple of weeks before arrival date.

When I checked in Monday, the CM at the front desk said rooms are assigned based on when you make the reservation, and some are determined by a difference of minutes as to who gets their choice over another person.

I've also on the boards that checking in early increases your chance of actually getting a room you specifically request.

I can see how the room assignments at 2 weeks and the use of time of reservation made can work together to determine your room.

What I'm not sure of is the part about checking in early. Does it really make a difference if the other 2 criteria are used?

I ask because on our next trip we MIGHT be able to get to VGC early, but it w/b a real hassle.

I even asked when checking out, and the CM suggested I call that morning and do check in over the phone while driving there.

Ever hear of that being done, and does that make a difference in getting the room you request before someone else snatches it up?

Thanks.
No suggestions since I've never tried a call to check in - didn't even know you could - but just to share our recent experience. A month ago when we arrived to check in around 1PM the CM told me that she was glad we had arrived b/c she had already been asked 3 times by others to be switched to the room we had been assigned. She said she had not felt that was fair since we had booked right at 11 months. Frankly I do think preference ought to be given on some sort of basis like that and thought it was very nice that she took the time to check.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:08 AM   #1565
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT4DISNEY View Post
No suggestions since I've never tried a call to check in - didn't even know you could - but just to share our recent experience. A month ago when we arrived to check in around 1PM the CM told me that she was glad we had arrived b/c she had already been asked 3 times by others to be switched to the room we had been assigned. She said she had not felt that was fair since we had booked right at 11 months. Frankly I do think preference ought to be given on some sort of basis like that and thought it was very nice that she took the time to check.
That's awesome to know. I usually book at 11 mos, if I know the date, so I'll keep that in mind.

Now if the would only anounce if F&W is oming back in 2013, I've already started booking my dates in case, but if they don't, I bought a lot of points for nothing!
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:15 AM   #1566
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
That's awesome to know. I usually book at 11 mos, if I know the date, so I'll keep that in mind.

Now if the would only anounce if F&W is oming back in 2013, I've already started booking my dates in case, but if they don't, I bought a lot of points for nothing!
..on a waitlist of 65 more
Old 07-09-2012, 08:55 AM   #1567
mouselike-harrier
Mouseketeer

Our flight from the East comes in early evening. Does this mean we get a villa with a bad view?

Last edited by mouselike-harrier; 07-09-2012 at 09:00 AM. Reason: correction
mouselike-harrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:24 AM   #1568
sechelt
Mouseketeer

Our son arrived very late on a Friday, for the DL half marathon. When I say late, it was probably around 10 or 11 at night. He was given studio 6504, the one with the incredible view, even though we hadn't made any room requests at all. His friends also arrived late, maybe Saturday, and were given a free upgrade from a studio to a 2 bdrm. No room request was put in for them either.

This was only 10 months ago so would policy have changed since then or were they just lucky?
sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #1569
taaren
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by the donut View Post
Interesting - when we stayed there last week over the July 4th holiday, the bellhop told us that GCH was only running about 60-70% full for the summer. I think that would be and argument for conversion to DVC rooms since they aren't being occupied anyway. Then again, maybe the bellhop was just angling for a bigger tip (which we gave him).
I know Iger was quoted as saying there would be no more West Coast DVC for awhile ... in my mind largely because that would detract from trying to sell Aulani, which will probably take them 5+ years. I got the impression when I was at Aulani that sales were not nearly as brisk as had been projected, largely due to the tsunami/disaster in Japan. (Though sales to Japanese-speaking guides were still outpacing English-only speaking guides by a wide margin.)

And after Aulani is sold, they probably won't want to do any more sales in this region for awhile if its been going badly.

I was at VGC during opening weekend of Carsland, and I asked if the hotel was full and one of the greeters near the check in said they were only about 70% full in the hotel though the villas were booked solid.

When I have been there in past Octobers and asked about occupancy, they've stated that they had no more rooms to give on the weekend (I watched guests request to switch/add rooms and they were completely full on the hotel side). Anybody know what the target goal for hotel occupancy at Disney is? I know average hotel occupancy rates looked at industry-wide tend to range from 45-80% seasonally, and the past few years has been slightly slack.

I'd guess that 70% is a really good occupancy rate for a luxury hotel such as the Grand Californian, though they'd love 98% I'm sure. Of course DVD and the Disney Resort Hotels are completely different arms of Disney and make profits in very different ways so I'd be curious if that was even a factor in their decision making.

Interesting speculation. I'd personally love to see both more villas at the GC or a tower at the DLH. But I'm not really their target demographic anymore since if I buy points it will likely be on the resale market. It would be kind of cool if the rooms on the VGC wing that are currently hotel rooms got converted to inn-style rooms like they have at Vero. The main problem with converting those rooms into a general VGC points pool is the view issue. Those rooms will have no chance of an awesome view like the current ones, and if you mix the inventory together a lot of people will be upset/disappointed unless they make view categories like they have at AKV, BLT, BWV.
DLR: BW Raffles, Marriott FFI, Hilton Anaheim, BW PPI, Marriott ResInn GG, Anaheim Marriott, VGC, DLH. Cruises: Wonder Repo 9/20/11, Pixar CA Coast 10/7/12, Dream 12/6/12. Aulani mini-TR w/ view and food pix. Dec 2012 PTR/TR of DLR vets taking on the World! New P/TR of 2013 Bi-Coastal Disney-ing.
taaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #1570
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by taaren View Post
...It would be kind of cool if the rooms on the VGC wing that are currently hotel rooms got converted to inn-style rooms like they have at Vero. The main problem with converting those rooms into a general VGC points pool is the view issue. Those rooms will have no chance of an awesome view like the current ones, and if you mix the inventory together a lot of people will be upset/disappointed unless they make view categories like they have at AKV, BLT, BWV.
"Inn Style Rooms" is a great idea, having a new room type would be easier than attempting to renovate existing hotel rooms. Rooms with 2 queen beds might be more desirable to some guests, that the current studio layout.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #1571
disneydenisel
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
I usually stay in a one-bedroom, and this is what I would request:
6502, 5508, 4508, 3508, 5502, 4502, 3502, 5514, 4514, 3514

My reasoning:
6502 only 3 villas on the 6th floor
x508 slightly better WOC view than x502
x502 WOC view
x514 redwood creek view (you have already had this view, so these could be left off your request)
Thank you SO much for your list ! I have printed it out and am ready to add it to my villa requests at 11 months out. I would rather have a different view than Redwood Creek since I have had that 2 out of 2 so far. Something different would be lovely!

Disneyland since 1963
First trip to WDW--offsite May 1994
Grand Californian 2002, 2004
BCV Thanksgiving 2005, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, Christmas 2013, Thanksgiving 2014
VGC & PPH June 2011

VGC June 2012, June 2013
Aulani March 2013
Upcoming VGC Summer 2015
disneydenisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #1572
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT4DISNEY View Post
A different CM might have done the swap to make the guest checking in happy, so early check in is the only way to make sure your room is not swapped. I might try the phone option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sechelt View Post
Our son arrived very late on a Friday, for the DL half marathon. When I say late, it was probably around 10 or 11 at night. He was given studio 6504, the one with the incredible view, even though we hadn't made any room requests at all. His friends also arrived late, maybe Saturday, and were given a free upgrade from a studio to a 2 bdrm. No room request was put in for them either.

This was only 10 months ago so would policy have changed since then or were they just lucky?
I think they were both very lucky. An upgrade in villa type is rare, I don't recall reading about another instance at VGC in this or the earlier owners thread (over 5000 posts).

VGC is often fully booked, but I don't think it is purposely over-booked. However the villa assignments must be carefully managed, to insure 2-bedroom lockoff and HA reservations are met. So even though the villas are not overbooked, there was no studio available for your fiends' visit without creating a conflict. Were they upgraded to 3513 by any chance? It seems the HA villas are often held back as the last assignment.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #1573
Breyean
DVC Since '93

Quote:
A different CM might have done the swap to make the guest checking in happy, so early check in is the only way to make sure your room is not swapped. I might try the phone option.
We're not going back until September and will try the phone option as well.

Since we don't really want to risk a bad room assignment, I'll probably call the hotel before then and just ask if you can even do a phone check in for the DVC side. That way I'll know (maybe) and if they say no, I'll arrange to get there early. Longish drive from AZ though to get there early! That's why I hope it really does work.
Breyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #1574
sechelt
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I think they were both very lucky. An upgrade in villa type is rare, I don't recall reading about another instance at VGC in this or the earlier owners thread (over 5000 posts).

VGC is often fully booked, but I don't think it is purposely over-booked. However the villa assignments must be carefully managed, to insure 2-bedroom lockoff and HA reservations are met. So even though the villas are not overbooked, there was no studio available for your fiends' visit without creating a conflict. Were they upgraded to 3513 by any chance? It seems the HA villas are often held back as the last assignment.
The 2 bdrm was on the first floor but I'm not sure which way it faced. I didn't know upgrades were that rare so I guess they really were very lucky. I thought the hotel may have had an opportunity to get $$ for the studio while the 2 bdrm sat empty.
sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #1575
KAT4DISNEY
1st trip Disneyland 1969

Quote:
Yes, and from this thread it sounds like they often do. I was happy that at least one - or maybe a few are trying to use some factors to base request filling on rather than the squeaky wheel method.

Quote:
Since we don't really want to risk a bad room assignment, I'll probably call the hotel before then and just ask if you can even do a phone check in for the DVC side. That way I'll know (maybe) and if they say no, I'll arrange to get there early. Longish drive from AZ though to get there early! That's why I hope it really does work.
I think bad is relative and I don't think anything at VGC really qualifies as bad. I've had all views and have enjoyed every one.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: