DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2010, 04:40 PM   #1
stopher1

Wall to wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills! Shh...listen
I have plenty of hill left to climb thank you very much

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

WELCOME! to The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

Special thanks goes to The River's Rats for starting the original thread, and extra thanks go out to all of the special DIS people who shared, posted pictures and participated in that first thread running from before the resort opened through it's first full year of operation and then some. We simply outgrew that first thread since the page count nearly met the maximum allowed, so welcome to version 2!! Even though it's closed and you can no longer post to it, I've included a link to the original thread in post #3.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

You are about to enter an online realm where we are able to discuss, share and enjoy together the unique and wonderful splendor of the first West Coast DVC resort, The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa, first opened September 23, 2009.

This beautiful addition to the DVC family of resorts was added-on to the lovely Craftsman-inspired hotel, built upon the former Disneyland parking lot when the expansion to Disneyland went full throttle - brining about both Downtown Disney and the 2nd gate, Disney's California Adventure park - forever changing Walt's ORIGINAL theme park from being Disneyland to "The Disneyland Resort" and a true multi-day destination. The Grand Californian was the first Disney designed-hotel on property - since the original Disneyland Hotel was not built by Disney...in fact it wasn't even owned by Disney until 1988 when The Walt Disney Company purchased it from the Wrather Corporation (Walt originally asked his friend Jack Wrather to build and operate a hotel across the street from his Magic Kingdom and further licensed the use of the Disneyland name to Jack Wrather). The Paradise Pier hotel, built and operated under a different name, was not purchased by TWDC until the mid-1990's, and then re-branded as the PP Hotel when DCA was about to open in 2001. The original Grand Californian designer was Peter Dominick, the same architect who designed both the Wilderness Lodge and the Animal Kindgom Lodge at Walt Disney World... you can certainly feel the influence of both of our sister lodges in the lobby of the Grand Californian (though I will say that personally I think that the Grand is the most elegant and cozy of all three of the Dominick hotels - and I have points at AKV and the WL is my favorite resort at WDW... so it's not just a bit of bias coming out - LOL - I just truly feel that in this case, the third time really was the charm!)

VGC as it is commonly referred to here on the DIS is home to 48 villas, and officially became "sold out" in October, 2010. Of course there will always be the possibility of points available on the resale market, but for now, "our" home is no longer available.

As owners, many of us became the "first" to buy, becoming Founding Members, while others waited and purchased later on. No matter if you were the first or even the last to buy your points and be able to call VGC "home" - whether it was your initial purchase into the DVC system, or VGC is just one of multiple resorts you call "home" - welcome to the 2nd version of our thread. We're happy you've stopped by.

Whether you've joined us by stepping through the resort's front door... or you're a "back door" guest coming in from Downtown Disney...

...here you can find out information about our beloved VGC; get your questions answered; share photos and upcoming trip information; review your stays; or just shoot the breeze... no matter, you're welcome here, and you'll find that the people that make up this thread are friendly, happy to help, and very glad you've stopped by. In post #2 you'll find a calendar of upcoming stays of some of our fellow owners and maybe even some non-owners too. In post # 3 you'll find a variety of links to other threads related to the Grand Californian, Disneyland or DCA, transportation options, reservation information, etc, that you might find helpful in researching or planning your own upcoming stay.

Your room might be amongst the 73% of the villas that look out onto the neighboring DCA with a "theme park view"... or it might look out over the pools...

Many of them will provide amazing views of the all-new World of Color spectacular...

There are only 2 Grand Villas at VGC. They are two-story units, and both have a pool table for your added enjoyment - 1 is theme park view, the other isn't. Both will amaze you!

The lobby of the hotel is spectacular... the fireplace is very cozy & inviting...

...and the elevator lobby to the villas wing is just a short covered walk away from the main resort lobby...

In the evenings you might enjoy a beverage with friends at the Hearthstone Lounge, or a meal at Storyteller's Cafe or Napa Rose; You might simply relax in the overstuffed chairs listening to the pianist play, or during the holiday season, the carolers come around and serenade guests with lively tunes to get you into the spirit of the season. And of course, like all Disney parks and resorts, the Grand Californian goes out all decking its' halls making the season bright.

Compared to most Disney resorts, the grounds of the Grand Californian are small, but very lovely... and the amenities plentiful...

...including those plush poolside cabanas... and the fun pool slide...

...and an outdoor fireplace & wedding lawn too!

One of the best parts of the resort though has to be its' proximity to both theme parks, and its' own private entrance directly in to Disney California Adventure ... just steps away from both Soaring Over California , Grizzly River Run...and soon, the all-new Little Mermaid attraction coming to Paradise Pier. I would say that unless Disney builds another DVC resort INSIDE a theme park in the future - there will never be another resort CLOSER to a theme park than VGC - with its' views and entrance both directly into DCA.

WELCOME! We're very happy you're here...

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!

Last edited by stopher1; 11-14-2010 at 10:56 PM.
stopher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:41 PM   #2
stopher1

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

What an exciting and beautiful resort it is!

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!

Last edited by stopher1; 09-23-2012 at 05:26 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-07-2010, 04:42 PM   #3
stopher1

Various links to other Grand Californian related threads

The ORIGINAL Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owner's Group Thread (closed on November 7, 2010 due to thread length)

Here are some links from the original thread regarding specific information about VGC

Floorplan Maps of VGC - thanks to nonsuch!
Floorplan & Maps of the Entire Grand Californian, including the DVC Wing - from the GCH Superthread, including nonsuch's contribution of the villas map

Here are a few other links to threads that you might find interesting and valuable as you consider your stay at VGC - especially if you have never been to Disneyland before!

A Disneyland Resort Guide for WDW Vets
Important Phone Numbers for Dining, Reservations, etc
Maps of Southern California, Aerial Photographs of the Disneyland Resort & Airport / Transportation Information links
Common Disneyland Resort Abbreviations (and some others too...)
Disneyland Resort Fastpass & Single Rider information
Disneyland Resort Planning information here on The DIS

Disneyland: Fantasmic viewing information (for the WDW vets... it IS different in many ways on the west coast)
Disney California Adventure: World of Color viewing information Superthread - this goes back to August 2010... lots of great info

Grand Californian Hotel & Spa (non-DVC) Superthread - lots of info, photos and more about the hotel portion of the resort

General Grocery Information
Grocery Delivery
Specific Equipment found inside the rooms (1BR and larger)

Here are a few links that are NOT Grand Californian related, but rather related to all of our sister resorts within the greater DVC family, just for fun, but also in case anyone has specific questions about another resort, all of the DVC resort threads are in one place here...

Animal Kingdom Lodge: ***Official AKV Owners and Lovers Thread***
Aulani, Resort & Spa: Aulani Owners Thread - Aloha!
Bay Lake Tower: ***Bay Lake Tower Owner's Thread***
Beach Club Villas: "STORMIN THE BEACH" BCV Owners - and GROUPIES WELCOME HOME!
Boardwalk Villas: The I Love BWV (yes, Hallways and Clown Pool, too!)
Hilton Head: HHI Roll Call, Adoration & Information Thread 2010
Old Key West: OKW Lovers Thread !!!
Saratoga Springs: SSR Lovers & Owners Part 2
Vero Beach: Vero Beach Adoration 2010 Thread... We Need New 2011 Thread...Somebody?
Wilderness Lodge: VWL Lovers & Groupies Thread: It All Started with a Moose!

Last edited by stopher1; 12-11-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:58 PM   #4
BeccaG
DIS Veteran

Joining the new thread. Not a VGC owner..yet, but definitely a fan and a fellow DVCer!
Old 11-07-2010, 05:12 PM   #5
Disney Princess
Member Since Day 1
I am just the "organized" one

Beautiful new thread stopher! Nice work. We are soooooo anxious to finally use our points in May. We are taking my in-laws, and we can't wait to see their faces when they walk in that lobby!
Disney Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:24 PM   #6
stopher1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaG View Post
Joining the new thread. Not a VGC owner..yet, but definitely a fan and a fellow DVCer!
Hi Becca! I know from the past thread of your interest, and hopefully someday you too can be an owner.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:25 PM   #7
stopher1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Princess View Post
Beautiful new thread stopher! Nice work. We are soooooo anxious to finally use our points in May. We are taking my in-laws, and we can't wait to see their faces when they walk in that lobby!
Oh thanks Disney Princess! The new thread just feels so spacious - just like the grand lobby at the resort!

Old 11-07-2010, 05:53 PM   #8
thelionqueen
DIS Veteran
The Tag Fairy threw me a bone to hear me scream!
My body has finally figured out that it can let go of the fat!

Ahh...a brand new thread...Love it!!!
Old 11-07-2010, 06:33 PM   #9
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

Whee! Nice job. enjoying our new thread home
Old 11-07-2010, 07:00 PM   #10
sueandyong
Earning My Ears

Does this mean the old thread is gone forever?
Old 11-07-2010, 07:06 PM   #11
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Great job Stopher1

I knew that you would "do it right"! I need to go find some of my pics on photobucket and post them here!
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:19 PM   #12
boiseflyfisher
I'm curious, too

Great job! I'll send you our upcoming dates. Your pictures made me look forward to our December visit!
Old 11-07-2010, 07:22 PM   #13
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Nice start for the new thread Christopher! You are the thread master extraordinaire!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueandyong View Post
Does this mean the old thread is gone forever?
Nope - but you can no longer post to it and it will move down a little more every day. A search should bring it up if you need to find some information. Or maybe Stopher placed a link in this thread? I didn't look for that.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:35 PM   #14
stopher1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT4DISNEY View Post
Nice start for the new thread Christopher! You are the thread master extraordinaire!!

Nope - but you can no longer post to it and it will move down a little more every day. A search should bring it up if you need to find some information. Or maybe Stopher placed a link in this thread? I didn't look for that.
Not yet - but that's on my "list" still...

Old 11-07-2010, 07:39 PM   #15
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Your magical stay here begins by walking through these doors.

And you'll check in here

The lobby will leave you in awe

You might stay in a studio

Or you might be in a larger unit

You might have a view like this from your room

You might dine here

And be served by this man

Hope that makes everyone homesick and look forward to returning!
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

Last edited by franandaj; 11-07-2010 at 08:09 PM.
franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: