Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What should we do for our honeymoon?
Keep our reservation at POR and spend our honeymoon money on other things. 19 26.39%
Upgrade our reservation to the Grand Floridian. 9 12.50%
Upgrade our reservation to the Boardwalk. 18 25.00%
Upgrade our reservation to the Animal Kingdom Lodge. 12 16.67%
Upgrade our reservation to another resort. 14 19.44%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2010, 08:11 AM   #16
rkandmjsmommy
2006: A year for letters....
A.A., RN, DVC-BCV, and a T.F.'s TAG
I never say anything tagworthy on a tag day
I still get giddy when I see neon...

My question is...did you get free dining,

I agree with POFQ over POR...but I LOVE the Boardwalk Area!!!
Old 11-08-2010, 10:00 AM   #17
ktlm
DIS Veteran

If you can afford to upgrade to a Savannah view room, I would say the AKL. DH and I had a trip there pre-kids and it was wonderful. We would sit out on the balcony in the mornings and drink orange juice (me) and coffee (him) and watch the giraffes looking at us. If not AKL, if you can afford a woods view room, I would say upgrade to WL. We spent our honeymoon at WL and it was wonderful. The only issue we had was that we had a standard view room, and they put us over the service area, so that every morning of our Honeymoon we were woke up by by back up beeps of garbage trucks- not so romantic! Everything else was great though. We have been back and stayed in both woods and courtyard views and really liked them. Even though the Courtyard view was more expensive, I really preferred the woods view. It was quieter and still pretty. We stayed at POR pre-kids too. It was pretty and we both liked it. DH's only problem with the mods, is that they have double beds, where AKL, WL and the other deluxes have queens. We haven't stayed at the Boardwalk, but it sure is a great location if you plan on spending a lot of time in Epcot WS.

Really, it depends on how much time you are going to spend at the resort and how tight financially it is going to be. If you plan on spending all your time in the parks, and the deluxe resort will financially keep you from eating at the table service restaurants you want to try, then staying moderate might be the way to go. If you are planning on spending some time at the resort, and either have free dining, or will still be able to financially swing some nice meals too, then upgrade. It is your Honeymoon!!!
ktlm is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-08-2010, 12:01 PM   #18
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Just my 2 cents..........

We're not believers in Disney's dining plan, restaurant (TS) meals are awful and quite time consuming. I'd pick a deluxe for a honeymoon, especially Wilderness Lodge (everyone will have their favorites) but the Lodge is a boat ride to the MK, boat ride to the contemporary Resort to gain access to the monorail and there's some good vittles over at Fort Wilderness, again a boat ride. We like being on the water with boat and bus transportation available, the Lodge is all under one roof, cheapest price among the deluxes (AKL too but too remote for our liking) the grounds are beautiful with walking trails to FW. We skip the free dining and opt for the room only discount for a better money saver and for a one time honeymoon, the Lodge is the place to spend it, (my opinion only).

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:37 PM   #19
pwrflpills
...would rather be at the Rose & Crown.

Regarding POR, I stayed there a few years ago with my girlfriend, now wife, and I actually thought the grounds were particularly romantic. We took a glass of champagne and walked through the grounds of our building and walked and sat along the river. With the big oaks, nice lighting and horse drawn carriages it was very pleasant and felt calm and secluded. We never had issues with families making noise. On the down side we did have one of those 2 double bed rooms on the parking lot side, so if you do stay there make sure you secure a decent room location. Never stayed in POFQ, so can't compare.

I would vote against the AKL for a honeymoon. Stayed there with my wife in a Savannah View room and was not impressed. Weird layout and not a cozy feeling. If African style is your thing, it could be different for you.

I voted for the Boardwalk in your poll because I love the Boardwalk area and I've always wanted to stay in that hotel. Walking around that lake and the WS could be pretty romantic.

The bottom line is do what you can afford and you'll have fun either way. Don't hamstring yourself on an expensive hotel room, but rather make sure you're able to do what you want while there.
pwrflpills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:02 PM   #20
hurleysweety
DISPrincess in Training
Makes a mean Monte Cristo

First of all CONGRATS! We went to WDW for our honeymoon in 2008. Perfectly perfect honeymoon spot. Don't forget to buy those ears, they're icing on the cake of a romantic and memorable trip.

If you don't have a rental car, I would avoid AKL. It is very beautiful, it has that newer feel, but it is a drive! By car or bus, you must factor that in to your scheduling, which can be a pain considering the closeness to other resorts. Unless you want to spend all your time at AK and eating at either AK or back at the hotel. We've eaten at Boma on both our recent stays and each time we're always wondering, "How are we not there yet?" as we drive over. It is a bit out of the way.

As for POR, DH and I stayed there in May 2010, just the 2 of us. We had a king bed, but not the best of locations. It was kinda noisy, and definitely had much more of a family feel to it. If I had taken the time to request the room, we probably would've had a much better experience. I must mention though, we transferred to the POR king bed room from OKW 1 bedroom with my inlaws. So it felt much much smaller. However, I'm not sure I would want to spend the extra money on the room for a deluxe. Spend it on the stuff - the food, the experiences, the little things you'll only ever do on your honeymoon. (We stayed off site for our honeymoon in 2008 to save $$ and in turn got to experience some nice places to eat and souvenirs to take back to remember our fun!)

FWIW, we're headed back next May (nothing booked yet) and if we stay at a moderate, POFQ is at the top of my list. After reading the reviews about the smaller resort size and feel, I'm pretty sure POFQ would suit our needs and likes much better than POR. Plus, we think of it this way, the smaller amount we spend on the room, the smaller amount we spend overall, the more chance we have to go back again sooner rather than later. And trust me, you'll want to go back again and again (We've been to a Disney park each May (and then some... since we've been married, even though DH told me before we got married that we'd go every 5 years...) Yes, I made him a DISfan for life!
Past Trips: WDW: Feb 1997 BWI, June 2008 *Honeymoon!*, May 2010 OKW & POR *2-year anniversary*, May 2011 OKW/BWV *3-year anniversary*, October 2011 VWL & POP DLR: 1994, Thanksgiving 2003 Portofino Suites, Oct. 2004, Oct. 2005, Nov. 2006 Carousel Inn, May 2007 Fairfield Inn, May 2009 DH Bday Trip Marriott Suites Anaheim, May 2009 *1-year anniversary*, GCH Suite, June 2009 Worldmark, Sept 2009 PPH, December 2009 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, April 2010 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, January 2011 Staybridge, September 2011 Red Lion, June 2012 Hilton Anaheim *4-year anniversary (celebrated late), Oct 2012 Ayres Anaheim, May 2013 GCH *5-year anniversary*, Sept 2013 Red Lion, Nov 2013 (1 Day Trip) Red Lion, Dec 2013 *Club 33* Castle Inn DCL:October 2013 - HalloWonder (Halloween) Cruise - Wonder 7 Night Bahamas from Galveston
hurleysweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:11 PM   #21
phantom728
DIS Veteran

Congrats! DH and I stayed at POR for our honeymoon back in 1996 and we loved it. It was quiet and we enjoyed evening boat rides over to downtown Disney.

My advice is to spend/go where you feel comfortable. We could only afford POR and I don't regret my choice because although I would have loved to stay at one of the deluxe resorts, it was the person that I was spending the time with that mattered the most.

We agreed that for our 25th anniversary, we'll splurge and stay whereever we want...have 10 more years to go We are going back in Feb for our 15th and staying at CSR this time around.

No matter what you decide, enjoy it!

Feb 2011 - Shades of Green (15th anniv)
Dec 2006 - Shades of Green (MVMCP - 12/4)
April 2004 (DL/DCA), Sept 2003 (RP at Universal), Sept 2002 (Contemporary - DD 1st trip)
Feb 1996 (DL now POR for Honeymoon) , April 1988/Jan 1979 - offsite
phantom728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:30 PM   #22
nolanboys
DIS Veteran

I'm assuming you got free dining because it's available for you dates. I agree that if $ is an issue, I'd stick with a moderate - but I also agree that you should switch to POFQ. It's small and intimate and the grounds are gorgeous. If you afford to upgrade, then go for it. I would vote for Boardwalk, or look into Beach Club or Yacht Club. I personally love Epcot and with free dining, you'll have lots of great restaurants walking distance from your resort. I've always wanted to stay at the Poly - never made it there yet. Don't spend the extra $ on the accommodations if you're going to be penny pinching the rest of the trip. It's not worth the stress of that. You will have a great time no matter where you stay. Good Luck and Congrats!
Old 11-08-2010, 09:33 PM   #23
Carlyzmom
AXIOM Crew Member
I see naked people all the time that are NOT pretty

We spend our honeymoon at POR - at the time called Dixie Landings - and it was AWESOME!!! Best time of our lives!
1995 Disneyland Hotel - California
1997 Fort Wilderness
1998 Fort Wilderness
2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2013 Port Orleans Riverside

Me DH DD 13 DS 10
Carlyzmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:47 AM   #24
dragonfly57005
DIS Veteran

Because it is just the 2 of you, I think I would say AK. It's more out of the way, but you 2 would be able to handle being on transportation longer than if you were dragging 2 kids along.

The other option would be one of the Epcot resorts. If you think you will spend alot of time there strolling and nibbling, that would be fun.
dragonfly57005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:14 AM   #25
mousejunkie98
DIS Veteran

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at the Wilderness Lodge, and it was sooo romantic We had a pretty woods view room on the ground floor, and it was very quiet. We loved the ambiance of the lobby and the grounds at night. I'm also a big fan of AKL, which is also beautiful and has a remote, secluded feeling.

If you decide to stick with a mod, I agree with everyone who has voted for POFQ. We had some friends spend their honeymoon there, and they said it was amazing, very romantic and quiet.

Have fun!!
Feb. 2013 Art of Animation / Nov. 2012 - Polynesian, Contemporary / May 2012 - Aulani / Dec. 2011 - POFQ / Sept. 2011 - Contemporary, Disney Dream, CSR / May, 2011 - Disney Dream, AKL, Boardwalk / Sept. 2010 - Disney Wonder / 2010 - Jan, Polynesian; June, CBR; Sept. AKL / 2006 - Fort Wilderness Cabin / 2001 & 2002 - offsite / 2000 - Wilderness Lodge / 1998 - Honeymoon at the Lodge! / 1995 - Wilderness Lodge / 1981 - 1st trip to WDW!
mousejunkie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:20 AM   #26
Golf4food
Mouseketeer
Male pirate last time I checked... yep, still male
Tazicket will always be my sexy penguin

I disagree about POFQ being better or more romantic than POR. POFQ is smaller and compact, feels more crowded and constricting to us. POR is spread out, romantic, relaxing, and gives you the feeling of more space around you. We spend all day in a cramped park, I don't want a cramped hotel when we leave. We like POR being more spread out and find the mansions to be especially more romantic.

However, if money is no object, I would suggest upgrading to the AKL or WL (or whichever themed resort you like best), or....

rent DVC points and stay in a 1 bedroom DVC room - they are bigger, nicer, and by renting points is often cheaper than staying in a deluxe regular room.
Mar '14 - Offsite; Nov '13 - Offiste; Sept '13-Offsite; Apr '13-POFQ; Jan '13-POR; Dec '12-POFQ:Baby's First WDW Trip; March '11-Offiste; Nov/Dec '10-AKL/CSR; May '10-POR Pre-Dining Review-Dining Report; September '09-ASMu & DxDP Dining Report; December '08-POR; September '08-ASM; June '07-One day surprise park hopping extravaganza for DW; December '06-CBR; March '05-CBR; Many visits as a child

Golf4food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:20 PM   #27
pixie08
DIS Veteran

Ok this is really hard, you picked my three favorite hotels (GF, AKL, Boardwalk). I think it depends on the type of person you are. Are you planning to be at the parks all day? Or will you spend time lounging at the resort, eating at signature restaurants, having drinks at the bar etc? If so a deluxe is the way to go. For me it makes the atmosphere. I have stayed at almost every hotel on property and I must admit i am a bit spoiled by the deluxes, if it where my honeymoon I would choose one of them over a mod.

The ones you listed are so different it is hard for me to pick based on that.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:58 PM   #28
GailT
I'm ba-ack!!!!
I'm so bad I'm good
Loves pea soup

Wait till a code and go for wilderness lodge, nice hoel for a honeymoon, yu can sit by the fire, they have little alcolves ( I see many couples just sitting talking and relaxing)the boat to MK the poly and GF the waterpagnt, the whole hotel is wonderful, try and wait for a cod. That is the way I stay at the deluxes I am going Christmas with a code staying at WL, I cant wait
Old 11-09-2010, 05:16 PM   #29
lovealatte
DIS Veteran

I would definitely say upgrade!! It is your honeymoon after all, it should be over-the-top and completely perfect. The Grand Floridian is divine, but I also absolutely love the boardwalk. In addition, have you considered the Poly? All great choices. I think Deluxe is the way to go for a honeymoon for sure!
lovealatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:33 PM   #30
mickey&minniealways
DIS Veteran

It is your honeymoon. If it was me I would splurge and go deluxe. If money is tight I would suggest renting dvc points from a member. It does take GF out of the picture but you can stay deluxe this way for much cheaper. If youi really want to splurge go for a one bedroom. Then you have a nice big King bed and the huge tub. I don't care for the moderates and values because my DH is over 6' and his feet hang over the end of the beds there. A full size bed just wont do it. CSR does have queen beds so that might be an option. I say splurge though before the kids come.
mickey&minniealways is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deluxe, honeymoon, resort

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: