Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What should we do for our honeymoon?
Keep our reservation at POR and spend our honeymoon money on other things. 19 26.39%
Upgrade our reservation to the Grand Floridian. 9 12.50%
Upgrade our reservation to the Boardwalk. 18 25.00%
Upgrade our reservation to the Animal Kingdom Lodge. 12 16.67%
Upgrade our reservation to another resort. 14 19.44%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
mousemere
Planning a Disneymoon!

Red face Honeymoon Help!

Hey y'all! So I'm brand new here (though certainly not new to Disney) and I'm sure there have been threads on this, but I haven't seen much that's specific to my question.

The FH and I are planning our honeymoon at WDW Sept. 11-16, 2011. I made reservations at Port Orleans Riverside because I wanted to get my honeymoon registry started and I could afford POR.

I could definitely see us staying there, but I was wondering what everyone's thoughts on that are. I was considering upgrading once we get a few honeymoon gifts.

The major contenders were the Boardwalk, the Animal Kingdom Lodge, or the Grand Floridian. I have only stayed at the GF before, out any of the hotels I mentioned. I know it's nice, but we might like to do something a little different?

I just wanted to get everyone's input - is POR nice enough for a honeymoon? Should we upgrade or spend our money elsewhere? If we upgrade, where should we stay!

Thanks in advance!!

Meredith
mousemere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
waynesgirl
Maleficent is my hero!

Anywhere is great for that!

I think you should stay with the mods, but flip over to the POFQ. A lot of families stay at the POR, as they can fit up to 5. However, the price, bus service, and proximity can't be beat for those 2 hotels. My DH and I both loved the POFQ because it is smaller, really has a feel of New Orleans, and it was more quiet than POR.

Save your money and spend it on a few things you like. Deluxes are nice, but IMO, for the money, you really aren't getting anything more than what you are at the mods, unless you want more convenience of the monorail or the Boardwalk area to EPCOT.

It's all about you and him though, and really enjoying yourself. Only you can make that call. My DH and I go a lot and have decided to stay at all the resorts at least once, but we loved the POFQ for the comfort and price.

Congrats by the way. What a lovely thing to celebrate at WDW!
WDW Commando Member #138!!!!
Me DH DS24 DD21 DD17 DS8
9/'79-offsite DL; 9/'01-Offsite/ASMo;12/'01-Offsite; 9/'02-ASMo; 4/'03-ASMo; 9/'03-offsite; 11/'04-CSR; '05-Wedding and NEW BABY;9/'07-SSR; 4/'08-POR; 9/'08-CBR; 11/'08-WL; 4/'09-DLParis; 11/'09-POFQ; 4/'10-AKL; 11/'10-CR; 4/'11-BWI, from Italy!; 11/'11-YC; 9/'12-Wyndham; 11/'12-AoA/Cars; 2/'13 CSR; 3/'13-Dolphin; 8/'13-offsite; 10/'13-offsite; 11/'13-AlStSport; 2/'14-offsite; 4/'14-POP; 6/'14-offsite; 10/'14 offsite; 12/'14 ASMu- and many more.
waynesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-07-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
j&j620
DIS Veteran

Congratulations!

I think it depends on the kind of Disney experience you want. If you and the FH think you'll be spending most of your time in the parks, then I would say save the money and stay mod. I totally agree with PP's POFQ suggestion, too.

On the other hand, if you want to enjoy the ambiance of the resort a little more and think you'll utilize the amenities, go for deluxe! It is your honeymoon, after all! DH and I honeymooned at Poly and loved every second of it!

No ticker for me

June 2009 - Disneymoon Poly/Disney Wonder / August 2010 - Family trip POFQ
July 2011 - 2nd Anniversary/graduate school graduation trip WL / Nov/Dec 2011 - Christmas trip with the in-laws Poly
July 2013 - 4th Anniversary Cruise YC/Disney Fantasy / September 2014 - 5th Anniversary/10 day extravaganza GF
j&j620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
ilovejsparrow
Working on my degree so I can support my WDW obsession!

I agree with Waynesgirl. POFQ is a better choice for a honeymoon, IMO. I think you'll really enjoy it! That way, you can splurge on some delicious meals at some signature restaurants!!
WDW Commando Member #165

ilovejsparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
Disneymama5816
DIS Veteran

Congrats on your upcoming wedding!!! Our favorite hotel is the CR handsdown. The rooms are large, the beds DIVINE, and the service is wonderful. Additionally you can walk to MK. It does cost more than the mods, but it is one of the least expensive deluxe hotels, if you can get a room in the gardenwing. My second choice would be the CSR. We stayed there for a few days this past summer, and it was REALLY nice. The rooms are smaller than the CR, but very similar (to me). It just went through a renovation and it is gorgeous. The pool was fabulous (and the pool bar too!) We have stayed at CBR, and POR and CSR is our fav of the mods. IMO it just feels a little nicer (think mod plus). Also, you can actually book a king bed - which I would DEFINITELY do for my honeymoon. Hope this helps!!!

12/99 Millenium Celebration-Royal Plaza, 8/00-Swan, 3/01-CBR, 11/01-CBR, 8/02-DCL and CR, 2/03-DCL and POR, 3/04-Swan, 8/05-GF, 11/06-Poly, 04/07-CR, 8/07-Poly,03/08-CR,08/08-CR,04/09-CR,08/07-BLT, 4/10-CR, 08/10-CSR/CR, 12/10-Dolph/POP,08/11-POP/CR-CL, 07/12-BC,04/13-BC,08/13-POP,04/14-BC,07/14-POR RR
Disneymama5816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
jupers
DIS Veteran

Hi,

I spent my honeymoon at POFQ years ago. However, my anniversary is Sept 11(hurricane season). When we there WDW closed due to a pending hurricane which never came and we spent a lot of time in the room...not so bad if you're a honeymooner. But people never expect to spend a lot of time in the room.

Anyway, my point is, at least for us, once the kids came the cost of a deluxe is a stretch. Your honeymoon is the one trip where it seems to be ok to go hogwild. I really really recommend splurging on a deluxe for the honeymoon. Honestly, while we had a wonderful honeymoon, If I could do it again, knowing what I know now, I would definitely have spent some of the extra $ on the resort. Because it's your honeymoon, you probably won't go commando. Enjoy the pool, the pool bar, everything the resort has to offer.

While I haven't stayed at the resorts you're looking at I hear the Boardwalk area is great for adults, and with walking distance to two parks it might be so romantic and worth it. If possible, maybe check the Swalphin, you can usually stay there for the same cost.

Anyway, just my thoughts as a previous POFQ honeymooner.
June '12-BCV and BLT; Jan '12-SSR; Oct 11-BWV; Jul '11-Offsite; '09-POR (family trip before Dad passed, best time ever); '07-POR & Wilderness Lodge; '03-Universal Hard Rock-(Wonderful, but not the same); '99-POFQ (Honeymoon-if I knew then...)'93-One Day from Tampa'84-CR'78-Poly
ME DH DD (11) DS (6)
jupers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
skipperkim
DIS Veteran

POFQ is a very quiet and romantic resort. It has better bus service than POR too since buses stop at POFQ first before going to the parks. It also has it's own bus stop at MK in the evening. Keep in mind that the hot tub is very secluded which usually keeps young kids out of it because it can't be seen from the pool.
May 2005 - Cont
Oct 2005 - POFQ
Sept 2006 - POFQ
Dec 2008 - CSR
skipperkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:19 PM   #8
Ksquared
Mouseketeer

Everyone here has already given good advice. I think it really depends on which type of trip you are planning. If you are going to enjoy the amenities of a resort, then I def. would consider splurging on a deluxe. If you decide to spend your money on other things, I would at the very least consider switching the POFQ.

I have always wanted to stay at the Poly and 9 years and 2 kids later that just has not happened for me. If there's a resort that you've always been dying to stay at, book your honeymoon there.

Just remember that no matter what resort you choose in the end, you'll be on your honeymoon so you are def. going to have a great time. Congrats.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:36 PM   #9
amzking
DIS Veteran

If it won't break your bank, I say upgrade. Like PPs have said, you won't get as much of a chance once kids come along.

I would seriously consider the Wilderness Lodge. The theming is amazing, it's all one building, very romantic, boat rides to the MK and Contemporary, electrical water pageant, its just great. It also is the least expensive of the deluxes so it would not be a huge leap in price like the GF or Boardwalk would be. It's the same price scale as AKL.

Have fun planning!
amzking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:53 PM   #10
1971DBday
Keep moving forward!

I personally think there are more romantic resorts then POR. I agree with earlier posts - this is your one and only honeymoon and you want it to be special. Keep an eye out for deals to help you save in other areas (free dining or a discount on the room) and that may help you afford more on the deluxe end.

We personally stayed at the WL. It was a surprise gift from my then future in-laws. We received a free upgrade upon arrival and then a gift basket from the resort - they really made us feel special. I wouldn't change a thing.

The WL and AKL are the lower priced deluxes and you never know; you may be able to afford it.
'79 1st trip (child); '95 Honeymoon WL; '98 GF; '02 Poly; Nov/Dec '06 CSR; Nov/Dec '07 CBR; Nov/Dec '08 CSR; Nov/Dec2009Poly; Nov/Dec2010Poly; Oct '11 Poly; June '12 Poly; June '13 BC; Planning June 2014 AKV as First Time DVC Owners

1971DBday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:13 PM   #11
Alabama Minnie
DIS Veteran

Early congratulations! My suggestion is to upgrade since it is your honeymoon. In years to come you may be staying value/moderate with the little ones. I speak from almost 30 yrs. of married experience.
In Sept. you can get GREAT "room-only" discounts. We just stayed at the POLY this past Sept. with one. We have also stayed at the Dolphin at a $120 rate in Sept. and it is a beautiful hotel. (It doesn't have magic express though if you are flying).

2013-(2/14)AoA/Dolphin/(12/13)WL***2014-(11/14) AofA & POLY with (ds) (ddl) and (dgs) 1st visit
2012-Universal/Dolphin**2011-BWI/POLY/WL**2010-POLY/ASMu/CSR**2009-AKL/Dolphin/CSR/Pop**2008-CR/ASMo/Pop**2007-FQ
Alabama Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:38 PM   #12
ice cube
Mouseketeer

Meredith....Here is a guys view...I don't know your financial situation but I think you should upgrade to a deluxe resort..To get more for your money rent points from a DVC member for your room then do the Disney cruise.You can check in on Sept.11 at AKV..BWV..BVC..BLT..VWL..etc..for 4 nights then when you check out on Sept.15 you take the Disney cruise bus right from your resort to the ship for 3 wonderful nights on Disney's newest ship Disney Dream. They have a cruise to the Bahamas Sept.15-18,2011.
When I got married my wife planned a 7 night Aruba honeymoon, without her knowing I cut it down to 5 nights. Then we flew to Disney and stayed 4 nights at the Beach Club (our favorite resort) and 3 night cruise.My wife loved it and she couldn't believe that I came up with such a great surprise. She still talks about it...11+ years later....If you need help or any advice with renting points just let me know.Your money will go much farther in that fashion...
ice cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:43 AM   #13
*~PrincessBelle~*
DIS Veteran

First off...congrats!! ....

I was in the same situation last year when booking my recently passed honeymoon. We originally booked POR since it was in our price range but when we started getting gifts in our disney honeymoon registry we started looking elsewhere... We ended up with a really great pin and decided to do a split stay between AKL and Poly.

Poly had always been a dream of mine and even with a PIN it was still out of regular price range but it was our honeymoon so we decided to splurge. AKL and Poly were amazing ...both romantic in its own way...

I know your trying to decided one hotel..but why not think about a split stay..it really wasnt a hassle at all, so easy, I would do it again in a heartbeat...

Whatever you choose im sure you'll have an amazing trip!
*~PrincessBelle~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:53 AM   #14
kaysmommie
DIS Veteran

If you won't hurt the budget too much than I say it's your honeymoon and you should upgrade. POR does look beautiful though. I think Boardwalk or Animal Kingdom Lodge would be great!
Old 11-08-2010, 08:55 AM   #15
turtlechick6
supergeek

I voted GF. I have never stayed there but from what I heard it is a very fancy more adult themed hotel. I did eat at 1900 Park Faire and it was very pleasant. That or AKL. I stayed at Kidani village recently and loved it. I would suggest a villa or suite since you guys might be spending a lot of time in the room hubba hubba.

Definitely stay at some kind of Deluxe Resort. I made the mistake of staying Value for our honeymoon and we regretted it.
turtlechick6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deluxe, honeymoon, resort

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: