Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2010, 10:05 PM   #1
harrowgirl
Mouseketeer

Flight time home

The website says we shouldn't book flights before 12:30. There is a 12:00 flight and a 1:55 flight home. We are travelling with a 2 1/2 year old, and a 7 month old. I'm wondering if we should chance booking the noon flight, or if we should stick with the Disney guideline. I'm obviously dont' want to mess up our flight home, but am nervous about getting to the airport at 11am, and having to wait for 3 hours to board a flight with two babies.

Thoughts?
harrowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:18 PM   #2
scamper45
Mouseketeer

i have made a 11:00 flight before. it also depends on what transportation u r using? we have never used disney b4 either had a car or used a private service.
scamper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2010, 10:28 PM   #3
tigger2on
I can't believe I read this WHOLE thing!
Mom to the Incredible Smiley Ryleigh

I think with lil' kiddies, I would take the 1:55 in case of delays. Then you are also NOT rushed. We always book a flight 1pm onwards.
WDW trips with my kids: May 2001, December 2002, November 2003, May 2004, September 2004, October 2005, September 2006, May 2007, May 2008, February 2009, Sept/Oct 2009, February 2010, May 2011, October 2011, May 2012

DCL trips: Wonder 2001, 2004, 2010 Dream - 3x 2011Wonder 5-night 2013
tigger2on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:32 PM   #4
Cmbar
DIS Veteran

We saw people getting off the ship at 7am so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to make that time if you had the right transportation set up. Maybe a towncar so you were sure they would be there when you got off the ship. You will have to forgo breakfast that morning. Things got crowded after 8am this morning. We ate breakfast at 7am, got off the ship around 8:30am and had our rental car and on the road to the airport around 9:30. We wouldn't have felt comfortable about having a noon flight though because by the time we gased up the car and returned it and checked our baggage it was close to noon.

One other option is to take your time getting off the ship. They serve breakfast until 8:30 so take your time getting off the ship. Getting to the airport will take time no matter what option. It is at minimum a 45 drive and if you have to drop off a car, or wait on the bus there is no telling how much control you will have about when you get to the airport. Our servers told us to relax since some of us were driving home and we had a later flight.

Remember too, Orlando airport is servicing all of Disney World and three cruise ships were deboarding this morning. The airport lines were long for checkin (southwest) and security. You have to allow for that in your time frame estimates. Obviously Saturday mornings are busy because off the cruise traffic.

Good luck on your decision. Have a magical cruise too!!!
VBR and VGF August,2014, AKV Jambo Dec 2013, Wonder-Alaska Jul 13, Fantasy Jun-12, BCV Jan-11, Dream! Apr 3,2011, Western Magic DCL-Oct 30-2010,POP/BCV -June 10 SSR-Jan 10, BLT-Nov 09, POP June 09, All Star Sports Mar 09, Western Magic - Nov 08 SSR/Marriott Cypress Harbour Jul-08, GF-Nov 07, WL-Nov 06, CBR -Feb 06 POFQ/BWV -Feb 05, POP-Mar 04, DoubleTree DTD, Mar 03, POR-Mar 01 Dixie Landings (POR) HONEYMOON -Oct 1992

Cmbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:40 PM   #5
mushu756
Mouseketeer

Back in august we had a 2:05pm flight and my son was a little over 2 and 1/2 (full of energy to the extreme) and it was pure torture waiting around the airport with him. If I remember correctly we got to the airport around 10:30 or so ( no later than 11 mcdonalds was still serving breakfast in the airport) and trying to keep him occupied was mental torture. I'm sure it's better to be early than late. Good luck with your decision. I know how hard it is to travel with a 2 and 1/2 year, couldn't imagine doing it with 2 children. Also we took dcl bus to airport.
mushu756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:50 PM   #6
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger2on View Post
I think with lil' kiddies, I would take the 1:55 in case of delays. Then you are also NOT rushed. We always book a flight 1pm onwards.
Exactly. With the 1:55 pm flight you can feed them some lunch before the flight, and just maybe, they'll sleep on the flight.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:41 AM   #7
paceyswife
Mouseketeer

I'd opt with the later flight. We did WDW last year with a 14 mo and 4 yr old and with Magical Express we were at the airport waiting for close to three hours. I did bring a portable DVD player and the ever helpful Benedryl which then made the flight bearable (naptime before plane even took off)! Our return flight home in Feb after our cruise is at 1:30. Hoping that it will be easier this year as boys will now be almost 3 and almost 6 and hoping that Southwest will be participating in the onboard check in so we can disembark leisurely and take our time to getting to MCO.
paceyswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:45 AM   #8
amjgale
Earning My Ears

We just got off the Magic on 10/30. Disney had us really paranoid about rushing to get our 1:10 flight. We were extra worried bc we have a 13 month old. But, we got to the airport and through security and could have made a 1040 flight. It was kind of a bummer bc we were stuck at the airport for awhile, but better save than sorry! We flew Southwest too, so their line was long, but moved really fast.
amjgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:14 PM   #9
grits98
Mouseketeer

Take the earlier flight!!!!! We have cruised every year since our daughter was born (she's now 6) and we now have another child two years younger than her. We always take our time getting off the ship and have ALWAYS gotten to the airport by 10:00 or 10:30 at the latest. Whenever we have later flights, the kids end up getting bored and tired from hanging out at the airport. I would especially encourage you to take the early flight if you're participating in the on-board check-in. All you have to do is get through security and you're set!

Old 11-08-2010, 03:00 PM   #10
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by grits98 View Post
Take the earlier flight!!!!! We have cruised every year since our daughter was born (she's now 6) and we now have another child two years younger than her. We always take our time getting off the ship and have ALWAYS gotten to the airport by 10:00 or 10:30 at the latest. Whenever we have later flights, the kids end up getting bored and tired from hanging out at the airport. I would especially encourage you to take the early flight if you're participating in the on-board check-in. All you have to do is get through security and you're set!

I respectfully, and strongly disagree based on our experience at Orlando. We were at the airport at 10:15 am, had our boarding pass in hand and had lined up for security by 10:30 am. 90 minutes later we cleared the metal detectors and literally walked onto our 12:35 pm flight.
What you have to be aware of is Orlando has a reputation for slow security, my Travel Agent says her resources list it as an airport to be at 3 hours before flight time.
Both my kids had been on 80 flights before their 10th birthdays, the LAST thing you want to have to deal with is a missed flight with young children.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:02 PM   #11
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I would guess that waiting in the airport with babies would be preferable to possibly missing the flight and having to arrange another flight goodness knows when with babies, or running into a very long security line and then having to arrange to rush through and run to the gate with babies.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #12
cseca
My legs are wimpy but my will is stronger...

I agree with PPs that going with an earlier flight would be easier (less waiting at the airport). BUT it all depends on how quickly you can get off the boat and also how much you want to drag your luggage by yourself. I think DCL specifies that if you have flights before xx:xx time you have to get your luggages off yourself because they can't guarantee them to get to the airport ontime.

We opted for a 2pm ourselves, just because we don't want to have to struggle with luggages and a baby.

If it was just us 2 adults, I would pick 12pm in a heartbeat.

Good luck!
cseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:03 PM   #13
grits98
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Both my kids had been on 80 flights before their 10th birthdays, the LAST thing you want to have to deal with is a missed flight with young children.

LOL! Thanks to DH being in the military, I think my daughter hit the 80-flights milemarker before her 5th birthday! So far, no missed flights, but I've probably doomed us by writing that!

Old 11-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #14
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

I would take the later flight. All it takes is one mishap ie: car accident, a delay getting off the ship, bad weather that could slow down your commute to the airport and walla you have missed your flight.
Why be rushed to get there. Take the later flight.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: