Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2011, 01:50 PM   #31
2GirlsMama
Happy Wife and Mom

Oh, and I wanted to mention that the beds during our adoption trips were very hard. The beds on the ABD trip are not the same. The ABD hotels are the highest luxury possible. They are extremely comfortable. It was very different than the adoption trips. Luxury is key during the ABD trip.

The tip to take toilet paper with you is one of the best! Keep an open mind and enjoy every minute of this excellent adventure.

Last edited by 2GirlsMama; 04-03-2011 at 01:50 PM. Reason: correction
2GirlsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:03 AM   #32
disneypins4fun
Earning My Ears

Question May 15 Enchanted China Group

My husband and I am part of the May 15 China trip. This will be my very first ABD experience. We are used to traveling on our own until now. So, I'm very glad to find this thread! I would love to get an information regarding traffic in Beijing and Hong Kong. Do you suggest using Metro to get around to avoid traffic? or did everyone use taxi? Also, in Hong Kong Disneyland at Crystal Lotus restaurant were you able to see and experience their famous Disney Character Dim Sum? Our tour ends on Friday... they usually serve Disney Character Dim Sum only on weekends Thank you so much for the tip regarding TP and antibiotic wipes I just put them on my packing list! Only one week before we leave! I'd appreciate any suggestions!
disneypins4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #33
WeLoveABD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneypins4fun View Post
My husband and I am part of the May 15 China trip. This will be my very first ABD experience. We are used to traveling on our own until now. So, I'm very glad to find this thread! I would love to get an information regarding traffic in Beijing and Hong Kong. Do you suggest using Metro to get around to avoid traffic? or did everyone use taxi? Also, in Hong Kong Disneyland at Crystal Lotus restaurant were you able to see and experience their famous Disney Character Dim Sum? Our tour ends on Friday... they usually serve Disney Character Dim Sum only on weekends Thank you so much for the tip regarding TP and antibiotic wipes I just put them on my packing list! Only one week before we leave! I'd appreciate any suggestions!
We arrived in Bejing a couple of days before the triip started--and used that time and some free afternoon time during the ABD portion to see sites around town. We took a taxi to the summer palace (very worth while and you could spend a day there--park, lake, various buildings, the stone ship etc)--crazy traffic, but dirt cheap taxi rates; be sure to have your hotel give you a card and write the desintation on the back! (And use the front to return) We also did the subway in Bejing--this was right before the Olympics so there was english on the subway signs, very handy--otherwise we would not have used it. Efficient, crowded--but cool to have done it (we used it to get to the main Budda Temple in Bejing). We stayed at the Bejing Penninsula--next to where the night market is held (live scorpions on a stick)--and there is a very upscale enclosed mall walkable from the hotel (we also walked to the Forbidden City area and walked some of the grounds--but a tour of this is part of your ABD experience so no need to get tickets and wait in line to go inside).

In Hong Kong...I cannot remember if we had character Dim Sum at the hotel restaurant (we might have--but the trip had so much, hard to remember some of the details--you do have a Dim Sum dinner--or was it lunch?--in Shanghi, as I recall. I loved the grounds of Hong Kong Disneyland--especially the walk from the hotel to the park. We could have taken a boat across the bay to Hong Kong one evening, but opted not to do that--there is a nice pool at the hotel, and it is very much like the Grand Floridian at WDW, or the hotel at Disneyland Paris (closest to the park). Nice small maze on the bay side of the hotel, too. I can't really speak to the mass transit in Hong Kong--eventually there will be boats going to and from HK to the hotel/park (the piers are built). I believe you can subway from the park to HK as well.

When we went, China was still recovering from the earthquake, so we did not go to the panda reserve (instead, we saw them up close and personal at the Bejing zoo, where many of the rescued pandas were brought). They also did not have a visit to the terricotta warriors built into the trip--which we would have loved! the stay at the Hotel of Modern Art was fantastic--be sure to hop on bikes they provide and see the grounds with all of the cool art, streams, large ponds, statues etc etc. It was absolutely breathtaking.

Great trip--enjoy!!
WeLoveABD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:42 PM   #34
disneypins4fun
Earning My Ears

Thank you for your great info. We will be arriving around 10:00 am in the morning before the welcome reception, and I was planning to take the Taxi to "Summer Palace"! You read my mind! Depending on our schedule, if ABD does not include "Temple of Heaven" I was hoping to use the Metro during our Free Time while we are in Beijing to see Temple of Heaven, but if that is included, I will definitely take the Metro to see the Lama Temple. Your information has really made my mind at ease. I've been little nervous not knowing what to expect... (By the way, my husband can't wait to try the scorpion on the stick, he saw it on Travel Channel...) Hope to keep everyone here posted once we begin our exciting ABD experience! PS Oh, I asked the ABD person regarding the Dim Sum, and she replied "Please allow Disney to create Magic for you." More Pixie Dust perhaps??
Old 05-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #35
WeLoveABD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneypins4fun View Post
Thank you for your great info. We will be arriving around 10:00 am in the morning before the welcome reception, and I was planning to take the Taxi to "Summer Palace"! You read my mind! Depending on our schedule, if ABD does not include "Temple of Heaven" I was hoping to use the Metro during our Free Time while we are in Beijing to see Temple of Heaven, but if that is included, I will definitely take the Metro to see the Lama Temple. Your information has really made my mind at ease. I've been little nervous not knowing what to expect... (By the way, my husband can't wait to try the scorpion on the stick, he saw it on Travel Channel...) Hope to keep everyone here posted once we begin our exciting ABD experience! PS Oh, I asked the ABD person regarding the Dim Sum, and she replied "Please allow Disney to create Magic for you." More Pixie Dust perhaps??
We went to the Temple of Heaven with ABD (part of a fun morning in a large park, with large groups dancing, doing ti chi (probably misspelled!), etc--at every turn, something fascinating--riding the pedicabs, visiting in a few homes and on and on. And of course--the guides are great (you'll see that theme in all of our threads on this board!) Lots of pixie dust--!
WeLoveABD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:49 PM   #36
dismom58
Disney Destined

Beijing

I haven't been on the ABD trip but I work for a middle school and we take our finance academy students every 3 years. One thing I brought last trip (In June 08)was my Disney fan.(the type that holds water and is battery operated) We had alot of times this came in handy. The heat is like the weather in Orlando in the summer so if you go to disney in June you will know how to pack for China. Hope your trip is everything you want. We aren't going for another year and I can't wait its a fascinating country.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:54 PM   #37
iloveokw
DIS Veteran

Question

They are almost packed up and are very excited about their departure this Friday! They were wondering if anyone had any ideas on something they could bring from home as gifts for special people they meet?
iloveokw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:09 PM   #38
lizavance
Mrs. Grumpy

We have started to pack and are soooo excited!

Some of the gift ideas I hope to use - enameled chopsticks with case for the Asian food fans, silk bathrobes (with big embroidered designs on the back) for my grown daughter, stuffed disney characters and souvenirs from HKDL for my disney freak co-workers.

I have no idea what to get for my 11 year old grandson. Any other ideas?

Last edited by lizavance; 05-08-2011 at 05:11 PM. Reason: add item
lizavance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:40 PM   #39
dismom58
Disney Destined

When we were there as we walked thru the summer palace we came across children playing wiht a flying toy on a string. They sold them for around 1.00
so I picked a few up for my nieces. It was locally made colorful and diffferent.
Great for something to show their friends. Sure you will see local items appropriate for your 11 year old. Take it as it comes while touring. Also CLoisoine is a Chineese hand crafted porceline which comes in many shapes and uses. I picked up some wonderful panda and turtle christmas ornaments.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #40
disneypins4fun
Earning My Ears

Question Laundry?

First, thank you everyone for all the information. Our bedroom floor is covered with clothes and things we might take or not! I was wondering what did everyone do about laundry in China? Used Hotel Laundry service? My husband is worried if we wash socks etc in humid country, it won't dry in time when we are on the move. Any suggestions? I'm hoping maybe the hotel laundry service won't be too expensive? 2nd, what would people in China would like to get from US? I would love to pack something to give our concierge in China or to people we might meet during tour. (Ofcourse, its getting harder to find somethings in US that is not Made in China...LOL)
Old 05-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #41
disneyphx
Mouseketeer

The hotel laundry seemed expensive - except maybe HOMA - so we did lots of sink washing. Most places you are there more than one night, so things dried - mostly.
On the hutong day in Beijing you can buy a Chinese yo-yo which is fun - lots of those on our trip!
disneyphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #42
disneypins4fun
Earning My Ears

Thank you for your information. Since HOMA is just about 6 days into our trip, I will plan to do laundry there so that we can keep our luggage to reasonable size.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:14 PM   #43
lizavance
Mrs. Grumpy

I plan to bring a travel size of Febreeze for the unsoiled scented items instead of full laundry!!
Old 05-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #44
iloveokw
DIS Veteran

Mike and Melissa are on Day Three of their China trip and loving it. They really keep them busy. Many of the people in their group are also DVC members.
iloveokw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:40 AM   #45
lizavance
Mrs. Grumpy

We ran into some Mongolian warriors at the great wall. Mike & Melissa said to tell you to send ransome money!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: