Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons > Planning our Happily Ever After
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #136
BethieTink
DIS Veteran

What a beautiful dog! It breaks my heart when they have had such a rough life. We got our three cats from a rescue, but they lived in a house where there mom lived and were well taken care of. Since we kept the whole litter together, we still consider them rescues.

Sorry about the problem at BCV with the sink, but glad that they finally rectified it. We are owners there, so it's good to know theyare treating everyone well.

Sounds like a great first day. Can't wait to read more.

Great tree too!
Old 11-21-2011, 08:40 PM   #137
donald&daisy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomBuggy0922 View Post
Okay, before I comment on your TR--- I NEED to comment on the doggie. As soon as I saw him, I went "AWWWWWWWWW." He looks SO nice. You said he's a foster--- are you going to keep him? I hope you do. My dog is an adopted dog, and when he was a puppy he was kept outside in a cardboard box and a coyote attacked and killed his brother. (This was prior to him being brought to the agency that we adopted him from.) Whenever Smokey (our dog) snuggles with us, I just think how lucky I am that we can make him feel safe. Sorry, I know that's not related to ANYTHING!

ANYWAY, onto your TR.
-I'm glad you liked BCV so much! We're staying there for 4 days in January, and I am SO excited. Although, that is annoying about the sink, but at least you were moved. I hope you enjoyed the pool.
-All of your FWF choices sound amazing, especially the honey bread. Yum!
-And happy belated birthday!

He is a very sweet boy. We most likely will not keep him as we already have three dogs and I like to keep the 4th spot open for a foster dog. However, I do have a feeling he will take longer to place than many of our others.

That's so sad about your dog's beginning...I never cease to be amazed at how awful people can be in regards to their pets. I'm glad he's safe with you now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethieTink View Post
What a beautiful dog! It breaks my heart when they have had such a rough life. We got our three cats from a rescue, but they lived in a house where there mom lived and were well taken care of. Since we kept the whole litter together, we still consider them rescues.

Sorry about the problem at BCV with the sink, but glad that they finally rectified it. We are owners there, so it's good to know theyare treating everyone well.

Sounds like a great first day. Can't wait to read more.

Great tree too!
Thanks! We really did enjoy BCV.
Offsite Spring Break '05 Offsite Spring Break '06 POR Chistmas '06 Pop/ASMU/OKW Summer '07 CBR Summer '08 Royal Pacific & AKL October 2010 Beach Club Villas November 2011 DFTW-Beach Club & Boardwalk April 2012!

My DFTW Planning Journal
donald&daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-24-2011, 08:06 PM   #138
donald&daisy
DIS Veteran

PS Day 2--Animal Kingdom

Ok, day 2! This was our Animal Kingdom day and we managed to make it park opening. We headed over and did the safari first and it was probably the best safari I’ve ever taken. We got the front row to ourselves and the animals were pretty active since it was early in the day. Baby giraffe off the starboard bow:

I can’t exactly remember what we did next, lol. I know we rode Dinosaur 2 or 3 times and the same for Everest. We also watched the Nemo show, which I love! We ate lunch at the Yak and Yeti counter service and that was tasty. We did the It’s Tough to be a Bug show—always enjoyable! After that we explored the animal trails. I’m pretty sure we saw some stuff we had never taken the time to really look at before, like the huge bats. After that I decide I really needed to visit Camp Mickey to visit my favorite duck, but it was like everyone in the park decided to go there at once. It was insanely crowded, so we decided to just head out.

We were expecting my MOH and her hubby around 6 pm so we decided to check out Stormalong Bay. Now it was November and I am cold natured, but it wasn’t too bad. We hung out for a couple of hours. I love laying out and reading by the pool while my hot DF brings me yummy boat drinks. It’s probably my favorite pastime! LOL. Oh, I forgot to mention that I had artfully made a reservation for two at Ohana (probably our fav Disney restaurant) for right around Wishes time exactly 180 days out. Well, my MOH was sweet enough to drive over from Tampa to attend my planning session and booked a night at Port Oleans Riverside, so I needed to add 2 peeps to my ressie—I kept trying online and calling once we got there but no dice. We had finally decided to be “those people” and just show up and see if they could accommodate us and if not, we were going to head over to DTD. Adam decided to pop down to the concierge and just see if they could help, because the phone service was telling us there was nothing available. Lo and behold, he comes back with a ressie for 4!! At that point, I didn’t care about fireworks and the view from Ohana isn’t the best anyways. So we all met up at the Tambu Lounge for drinks and then we were seated in fairly short order. My MOH, Jana, is my bestfriend and I don’t get to her nearly as much as I would like, especially since she moved to Tampa earlier this year. We consider it very fortunate that they ended up there right before the wedding. I have to admit that I hope when her residency is over she moved back to our neck of the woods.

She surprised me with an early wedding gift! A cake serving set! I had posted one earlier in my PJ I found on Etsy that I was thinking about ordering, but never did. She contacted that lady and told her my wedding colors and she made this beautiful set:

Jana told her she wanted a hidden Mickey and the lady had no clue what she was talking about even though she is based out of the Tampa area. I love it! We ate tons of yummy food and then parted ways with plans to meet at Franck’s at 9 am for the PS!!

Notice all the Lapu Lapus....Everyone had one but me, I tried a Golden Macaw instead and it was amazing!! I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!!
Offsite Spring Break '05 Offsite Spring Break '06 POR Chistmas '06 Pop/ASMU/OKW Summer '07 CBR Summer '08 Royal Pacific & AKL October 2010 Beach Club Villas November 2011 DFTW-Beach Club & Boardwalk April 2012!

My DFTW Planning Journal
Old 11-25-2011, 05:03 PM   #139
BethieTink
DIS Veteran

Very nice second day. Love the cake cutting set. Very different. Love the Hidden Mickey.

Can't wait for the next installement.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:30 AM   #140
donald&daisy
DIS Veteran

PS Day 1

PS Day Part 1!

I woke up early because I was excited, lol. Not too early though. I showered and got ready and then we debated on whether to wait for the bus or not and we ended up deciding to take a cab. It was so much better and we got to Franck’s just a little before 9 am. Poor Jana didn’t fare so well and got there a little late, but we had literally just sat down in the Meriweather room when she arrived. We met our planner, Pam, and an intern or something named Vita. They were both very nice and helpful. You never know how it’s going to be when you meet someone new, but I really liked Pam’s personality.

So we started go over stuff…real specific description, I know. She has some huge multi-page checklist and kind of went all over the place. We talked about the cake. I had brought some pics:

And we were brainstorming and I came up with the BEST idea ever!! I wanted to incorporate my pets into the cake, so we decided to put them on the cake with scuba gear on. Lol, it may not everyone’s style, but we think it’s going to be super cute. We decided not to do a specific topper, but just more of the brightly colored coral. We also decided on the mad hatter style, three tiers…thought it kind of looked like waves. Oh, and the flavors!! First of all—yum!! Now, I have to be honest….most of the cakes tasted similar to me, except for the chocolate, which I didn’t care for. So we ended up with our first layer—marble cake with bailey’s and white chocolate, second layer—almond cake with tropical mousse and amaretto, and the top layer is a repeat of the first. It was hard to choose the flavors. There were so many and with all the combinations it was difficult to narrow it down, but in the end, we were successful.

Ok, the cake is really the only thing I remember vividly, lol. The rest was a lot of details. I was really grateful that Jana was there, because she had a lot of good insight. She was married a little over a year ago and she’s been to a Disney wedding before too. We went through everyone who was to be involved with the wedding, which was helpful because I hadn’t thought much about it before. We decided to go for the tropical trio for the ceremony and cocktail hour. They are expensive, but I think it will really cement the atmosphere we are going for. We had thought about doing a ride mix-in, but it just didn’t seem to fit in the schedule anywhere. Oh, and also made sure to mention that whatever happens, I MUST have pics of us in our wedding attire with fireworks. I had always thought we would do it around the GF after the reception, but Pam mentioned that with the reception ending around 8:30, that she would see if she could find us a place around the world showcase and we could just pop out there when the reception was over. I told her I didn’t care how it happens, just that it happens.

We ended up around 11 and our florist, Elizabeth, showed up shortly thereafter. She was super nice and efficient! Seriously, we were done in like 45 mins. I had printed out pics of what I liked and showed them to her and she wrote down the flowers. I actually got my floral BEO back exactly a week later…I will post it soon! I am using an outside florist for our personal floral to keep costs down.

After we met with Elizabeth we had a break until our tasting at 2 pm. We met up with Jana’s hubby and I took them to see Sago Cay. Then we wasted time around the GF and Jana and Mark had a snacky. Adam and I decided to tough it out since we had the tasting coming up…

My DFTW Planning Journal

Last edited by donald&daisy; 11-30-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:59 AM   #141
DoomBuggy0922
DIS Veteran

Okay, first, pet stuff: I love that you keep a space in your house for a foster dog. I hope to do that someday when I have more room!

Now, TR stuff: AK sounds like a good day; and I am so glad you were able to get an O'hana reservation for everyone together!

Your PS sounds great too. The frosting was definitely the best part, at least for me! And the tropical ensemble will be fantastic--- definitely a good choice. The dogs in the scuba gear also sounds adorable! Can't wait to hear more!

'96[POFQ] '97 [POR]; '99[POFQ] '02[OKW] '03[gparents condo] '04[gparents condo & DCL] '05[condo] '06[PC] '07[SSR] 3/08[condo] 9/08[PC] 6/09[POFQ]; 12/09[PC] '10[AKL&PC] 3/11[SSR] 8/11[PC] 01/12:BCV, GF, and BLT (Weddingmoon!!!); 05/12:AKL-KV; 12/12: SSR; 2/13: OKW; 4/13: BWV & OKW; 07/13: VWL & BCV; 09/13: BWV & YC; 11/13: PC and BWI

Next Trip: Christmas at SSR and BCV!

DFTW PJ and Honeymoon TR Memorial Day Weekend TR
DoomBuggy0922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:33 PM   #142
KristiLyn
Fab Five Member!

Just catching up! Everything is looking great!! And I LOVE that cake serving set! And your cake idea will be so cute!!!
Can't wait to read more!!
KristiLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:37 AM   #143
virtuous girl
Faith, trust, & pixie dust

U wrote " almost & amarretto flavored cake" 2 funny! I think the cake design will b different & cute... That was sweet of ur MOH 2 buy ur cake server set.. Things r looking good
Old 11-30-2011, 07:33 AM   #144
donald&daisy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiLyn View Post
Just catching up! Everything is looking great!! And I LOVE that cake serving set! And your cake idea will be so cute!!!
Can't wait to read more!!
thanks! I'm so glad you are back on the boards!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuous girl View Post
U wrote " almost & amarretto flavored cake" 2 funny! I think the cake design will b different & cute... That was sweet of ur MOH 2 buy ur cake server set.. Things r looking good
Lol, oops! I meant almond--I'll fix it

I will try to work on part 2 of the PS tonight!

My DFTW Planning Journal
Old 11-30-2011, 09:00 AM   #145
LuvLuvLuv
DIS Veteran

I'm soooo behind, but just got caught up!! Your foster dog is adorable!! I love that you can do that and work with them!! Your tree looks great too!!

Your planning session looked fun!! That's one thing that I reallllllly wanted to do, but it all worked out for the best! I'm glad Ohana got you in!! It's always a great time there!!

Sorry we didn't get time to meet up---it all went by quickly and like a blur!! We didn't really stick to much of the plan that I came up with, lol!!

Oh... and the BCV lobby smells just like Green Clover and Aloe from Bath and Body Works!! It's only available on their big sales--but I always grab some spray and spray it around
Old 12-01-2011, 10:01 PM   #146
donald&daisy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvLuvLuv View Post
I'm soooo behind, but just got caught up!! Your foster dog is adorable!! I love that you can do that and work with them!! Your tree looks great too!!

Your planning session looked fun!! That's one thing that I reallllllly wanted to do, but it all worked out for the best! I'm glad Ohana got you in!! It's always a great time there!!

Sorry we didn't get time to meet up---it all went by quickly and like a blur!! We didn't really stick to much of the plan that I came up with, lol!!

Oh... and the BCV lobby smells just like Green Clover and Aloe from Bath and Body Works!! It's only available on their big sales--but I always grab some spray and spray it around
I'm sorry we didn't get to meet up too! Like you said, once we got there is flew by like crazy. Oh, thanks for the tip on the scent! Its so wonderful, I will have to stock up.

My DFTW Planning Journal
Old 12-01-2011, 10:11 PM   #147
donald&daisy
DIS Veteran

PS Part 2--Tasting!

Ok, so I have a shameful secret….I didn’t realize that Jana’s husband was coming with her to meet us for the PS. Now, of course he wasn’t interested in the first half, but who wouldn’t want to go to the menu tasting? So, we just showed up with 4 instead of the 3 people who I signed up for. Well, it turns out that Pamela’s baby was sick so she wasn’t able to be there for our tasting. This sucked, but what can you do? Sometimes you just have to roll with the punches and they gave us a lovely intern named Katie to go with us, along with Vita from that morning. They pulled one car around and then realized we had 4 guests instead of 3, but they didn’t say a thing. They just went and got a bigger vehicle and we all headed over to the EPCOT kitchens. It was the last few days of the Food and Wine Festival, so it was pretty crazy in the kitchen, but they had a nice set up for us and the two chefs we had were so nice!

We had a hard time picking out stuff to taste. But we started with a salad of “Boston bibb lettuce” and I had them add edible flowers because I think they’re pretty. Now, I’m not the biggest salad fan, but this was delicious! It came with some scrumptious shrimp on top which we were not expecting. We all loved it. Oh, since Mark was unexpectedly along for the ride I made him the official picture taker and he took his duties very seriously!

Oh, and we chose the bird of paradise napkin fold. We thought it fit the tropical theme well.

Next up main dishes: We wanted a dish similar to the famous Jiko filet with mac and cheese. We all loved the steak and the mac and cheese, so this is definitely making it on the menu along with the salad. We also really liked the plating because the dish containing the oh so delicious mac and cheese kind of looks like a fish.

The second main dish was bacon wrapped scallops with a barbeque sauce and roasted potatoes. The scallops were so yummy, but Adam and I felt like the bacon was not adding to the flavor and kind of ruining the fresh, clean taste. So we decided to do just the scallops—no bacon. The roasted potatoes were fine, but nothing to write home about. The group decided they would rather have mashed potatoes—fine by me. We decided to have the same veggies (carrots and green beans) with each main dish.

Last up for main dishes was a trio of tuna medallions. I LOVE tuna, but this was overcooked and dry. No one was really impressed. I’m used to eating my tuna on the rare side and I know not everyone likes it that way, so I think it would be a hard thing to cook it to where the majority of people would enjoy it. Oh, and the green log is wasabi. I added a second sheet to the tasting checklist with flavors we like and dislike as well things that must be avoided at all costs (mainly cilantro and copious amounts of onions and peppers). I think Adam thought the wasabi was guacamole and he almost had a nuclear meltdown at the table after eating a sizable dollop. He held it together it well.

So, our dessert party is over at Sago Cay but I still wanted to try a few desserts. We aren’t really doing standard stuff at our DP so I figured they could always just pass the recipe along. They made as some caramelized bananas with ice cream similar to what we would get with the banana flambé action station. Very yummy and refreshing!

They made us not one, but two types of bread pudding. They were both so yummy, but the one with chocolate chips sprinkled on the top won out. It was all Adam and I could do to not sit there and eat both large dishes and then lick the plate.

And for fun I asked for the slipper dessert. Turns out the actual dessert part is the little chocolate teardrop—tasty. Of course you can eat the slipper too although, it’s hard to do so gracefully. There’s a lot of wow factor, but it’s so pricey and I guess I don’t see the point if you are having cake.

At the end they gave us our little whisks and we went back over to the GF and we said goodbye to Jana and Mark. Overall thought on the PS: It was a lot of fun and I felt like we ironed out a lot of details. I wish that Pamela could have been there for the whole thing just for continuity’s sake and so I could ask any follow up questions. I did send her an email the next day with my additional thoughts on the tasting and a few follow questions. Up next: we top of the PS day with Mickey’s Very Merry X-mas Party!!

My DFTW Planning Journal
Old 12-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #148
Cruisebunny12112
Earning My Ears

Just hopping on!

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!! I love your PJ, it is so detailed in a comfortable (not crazy OCD) way....lol

Your pre-rsvps is a lifesaver idea for me!! We are a year out (yesterday was exactly one year) from our DFTW day and I had the same communication fears!

I am also changing dresses, I agree that a lighter reception dress (esp in Disney) will be a blessing!! Are you going to change to flats for your reception?

Once again just wanted to say I am enjoying your PJ and cannot wait to hear more about your planning!!

P.S...your animals are adorable. We are getting a family pet for Christmas and can't wait to go pick him/her out!
Cruisebunny12112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:30 PM   #149
DoomBuggy0922
DIS Veteran

Oh, your PS looks great! Yummy yummy!!! I'm sorry you didn't like all of the food though.

And I agree: the chocolate slipper is SO pretty, but it's mostly just presentation. Good choices!

'96[POFQ] '97 [POR]; '99[POFQ] '02[OKW] '03[gparents condo] '04[gparents condo & DCL] '05[condo] '06[PC] '07[SSR] 3/08[condo] 9/08[PC] 6/09[POFQ]; 12/09[PC] '10[AKL&PC] 3/11[SSR] 8/11[PC] 01/12:BCV, GF, and BLT (Weddingmoon!!!); 05/12:AKL-KV; 12/12: SSR; 2/13: OKW; 4/13: BWV & OKW; 07/13: VWL & BCV; 09/13: BWV & YC; 11/13: PC and BWI

Next Trip: Christmas at SSR and BCV!

DFTW PJ and Honeymoon TR Memorial Day Weekend TR
DoomBuggy0922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:27 PM   #150
BethieTink
DIS Veteran

Justine,

Your planning session and tasting look fabulous. Our tasting will be in the Epcot kitchen too, so I was very excited to see that part. I agree with you, the slipper dessert is adorable, but not worth the price, IMO.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: