Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2010, 07:35 AM   #151
dismagiclover
Mrs. Darling: Mom to Wendy, John & Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilRenee View Post
Oooh!!! Cliff Hanger!!! I hope it went away!
Unfortunately, it didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc040404 View Post
Loving your TR! I've been following alongwith this and your last TR, but I don't keep up enough to comment much. Those costumes are sooooo cute! I saw lots of Peter Pan themed groups when we did MNSSHP, but nothing as clever as how your boys are dressed. LOVE it!

Can't wait to see what happens next.
I'm glad you came out of lurkdom to join in! Thank you for the costume compliment. I was really happy with they way they turned out
Old 12-03-2010, 07:50 AM   #152
dismagiclover

Animal Kingdom

So we headed over to Animal Kingdom. DH mentioned that the parking lot looked very full, but I pointed out to him we’d only driven here at rope drop so of course he was used to seeing barely any cars. We headed to the front entrance and DH and Bella headed to guest services so that DH could redeem his GAD pass and upgrade to an Annual Pass. The kids and I had done that in June, but DH hadn’t been with us. The boys and I headed over to sit on a bench and wait. Here are the boys waiting.

Notice the carving on the bench. I asked the boys if they knew why it had a dragon. They had no idea so I told them about the original plan for Animal Kingdom to include a section for animals that never were. They thought that sounded great and were bummed they never built it. I agreed. So it didn’t take long for DH to get his AP and we passed through the turnstiles. Since it was around noon we decided to just poke along and enjoy the trails at the entrance. This was different for us because usually we are running at rope drop. It was a nice meandering stroll. We even stopped and took a picture of this parrot.

Of course we had to stop and get some Photopass pictures.

Then we ambled on some more towards the Safari. On our way the boys played some ball.

And some tic tac toe.

The wait for the Safari was posted as 40 minutes and the fast pass time was 50 minutes away. So we decided to get fast passes and then continued our meandering. I mentioned that I knew there were trails that went closer to the Tree of Life, but I weren’t sure where they were. DH points at a trail off to our left and said, “I bet that is one of them.” So we headed down the trail. He was right. It was! For me this was another highlight of the trip. The trail was empty. It was almost like we were alone in the park. We approached the tree and we all started to notice lots of details.

We passed under that waterfall and were in the exit area for the Bug’s Life Show. No one was around and there were some benches. We all plopped ourselves down and began looking for animals on the tree.

There are so many details in this tree. It was one of those moments where we were together as a family all enjoying the simple discovery of finding and pointing out each animal. Really a good moment. Eventually the Bug’s Life show got out and we watched all the people stream by and most of them never looked up. It reminded me of the importance of looking for the beauty around that we don’t always take the time to see. That tree is a masterpiece and most never bother to look. So after we’d spent quite a bit of time at the tree I noticed a short pathway to a CM that was displaying something. We headed down the path. What did she have to show us?

Some really big spiders. This is one of the Discovery Club stops. The kids were quite interested. After this short presentation it was almost time to use the Safari fast pass so we meandered back towards the Safari. Who did we spot on the path?

It was Devine. We’d never seen her before and the kids were actually creeped out a bit. I thought she was quite beautiful.

Then we passed by the drums. Of course the boys had to stop. Here they are making noise (which they are very good at.)

So far it was a very relaxing day in the Animal Kingdom. I think we were enjoying the park the way the Imagineers meant for it to be experienced. And even though I wasn’t feeling top notch I was still enjoying the afternoon.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2010, 08:00 AM   #153
LoveMyTwoPrincesses
DIS Veteran

That is so cool that you saw Devine! I would love to see her, but it has never happened.

I love that you took time to enjoy all of the hidden treasures that AK has to offer!
Old 12-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #154
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Mercy me...I was behind again. No excuse other than life.

Of course, I loved each and every one of the Magic Kingdom pictures. Wait, I forgot to say that Captain Hook was a meany for not stopping and letting ya'll visit with him. But, at least Peter was able to have a duel with him during the parade. Speaking of the parade, it looks fantastic. I always say I want to go to Disney again while the Christmas decorations are up but now that I see your Halloween pictures, I'd love to go during that time too.

Oh no! I hated to hear that you were sick. That's a bummer. It's bad when your on vacation and you get sick but then to get sick while at Disney had to make it seem even worse.

Hey...I've been down those hidden Tree of Life trails. Isn't the greatest feeling when you're all alone there and you can take your time and just look....really look.

Looking forward to more!

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 12-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #155
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

Loving your trip report, Going to MNSSHP as the Darling Family was such a great idea.

We are planning to try Kona for the first time next October but I agree that the Big Kahuna looks better than the Tonga Toast everyone raves about. Just looks too sugary for me.

How lucky you ran into DeVine, I have yet to see her in person.

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
Old 12-04-2010, 08:04 AM   #157
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

Sorry you weren't feeling well. Sounds like a true Disney addict to get sick and keep going.

I love that trail under the tree. Did you notice the Kangaroos or were you too occupied with the tree? I think I took 50 pictures of the tree from that spot and I'm sure I missed something. It really is a hidden Disney gem.

Wow, and you got to see Divine. It was turning into a special day. I agree with the kids on freaky. When she is still, not a problem, but when she walks, it freaks me out a little.

Oh, going back a bit, love the pics with Pooh and Friends, wish we had taken more character pics. And I had to have that pic of the Headless Horseman by Photopass also. One of the best.
POR July 2006;POR June 13-21 2008;ASM Sept 26-28 2008;RPR July 14-16, 2009;POR July 16-21 2009;CBR Sept 4-7, 2009, POFQ Thanksgiving 2009, AKKV June 5-6, 2010, POFQ July 2010, AS Sports Sept 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, BLT Feb 2011, POP Apr 2011, SoG May 2011, POR July 2011, POR and POP Aug 2012, CSR Oct 2012, POR Sept 2013

My DH wants another trip to WDW?!?! MNSSHP, F&W, and Diagon Alley A PTR for Sept 2014
Old 12-04-2010, 08:58 AM   #158
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Sorry I fell so behind. But...I'm all caught up now!

Aww...I loved your update about Peter Pan's Flight. It brought a tear to my eye.

It's too bad that you didn't get the interaction with Captain Hook that you hoped for. But, it looks like you had a great spot for the fireworks! Uncrowded bench vs. crowds of people....sounds good to me!

The Pooh and friends pics turned out so cute!!! The parade sounds like so much fun!! I loved looking at all the parade pics!

That's so cool that you got to see DeVine!! I'm glad you were able to walk around the Tree of Life. That was one of my favorite parts of touring Animal Kingdom last year. It was so much fun finding all the different animals carved in the tree.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:13 AM   #159
dismagiclover

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyTwoPrincesses View Post
That is so cool that you saw Devine! I would love to see her, but it has never happened.

I love that you took time to enjoy all of the hidden treasures that AK has to offer!
I was really excited about Devine, but the rest of my family thought she wasn't all that

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Mercy me...I was behind again. No excuse other than life.

Of course, I loved each and every one of the Magic Kingdom pictures. Wait, I forgot to say that Captain Hook was a meany for not stopping and letting ya'll visit with him. But, at least Peter was able to have a duel with him during the parade. Speaking of the parade, it looks fantastic. I always say I want to go to Disney again while the Christmas decorations are up but now that I see your Halloween pictures, I'd love to go during that time too.

Oh no! I hated to hear that you were sick. That's a bummer. It's bad when your on vacation and you get sick but then to get sick while at Disney had to make it seem even worse.

Hey...I've been down those hidden Tree of Life trails. Isn't the greatest feeling when you're all alone there and you can take your time and just look....really look.

Looking forward to more!
Lisa you are excused for being behind. I don't expect you to spend all your time DISing You should try and squeeze a Halloween trip in one of these years. It's a tough time to get away though if you have kids in school. It was a bit of a bummer that I was sick, but it wasn't too bad. Plus considering all the days I'm spending at Disney this year I'm bound to get sick for at least one of them right I do love that feeling of being alone in the parks. Love the hidden gems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs314 View Post
Loving your trip report, Going to MNSSHP as the Darling Family was such a great idea.

We are planning to try Kona for the first time next October but I agree that the Big Kahuna looks better than the Tonga Toast everyone raves about. Just looks too sugary for me.

How lucky you ran into DeVine, I have yet to see her in person.
The costumes really did turn out great and I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that doesn't quite get Tonga Toast. It really was too sugary. DeVine was great find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
Beautiful pics!!

I would have to agree with you, I too think Devine is beautiful! She's so graceful....I always have a bit of a chuckle just thinking of myself on those stilits
Can you imagine how many hours of practice she must have been put in to make walking on stilts look so easy! I'm really glad we got to see her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmskinner View Post
Sorry you weren't feeling well. Sounds like a true Disney addict to get sick and keep going.

I love that trail under the tree. Did you notice the Kangaroos or were you too occupied with the tree? I think I took 50 pictures of the tree from that spot and I'm sure I missed something. It really is a hidden Disney gem.

Wow, and you got to see Divine. It was turning into a special day. I agree with the kids on freaky. When she is still, not a problem, but when she walks, it freaks me out a little.

Oh, going back a bit, love the pics with Pooh and Friends, wish we had taken more character pics. And I had to have that pic of the Headless Horseman by Photopass also. One of the best.
I didn't notice any Kangaroos. What and where are they? Gives me something to look for next time. That Photopass pic of the Headless Horseman was really cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angies1274 View Post
Sorry I fell so behind. But...I'm all caught up now!

Aww...I loved your update about Peter Pan's Flight. It brought a tear to my eye.

It's too bad that you didn't get the interaction with Captain Hook that you hoped for. But, it looks like you had a great spot for the fireworks! Uncrowded bench vs. crowds of people....sounds good to me!

The Pooh and friends pics turned out so cute!!! The parade sounds like so much fun!! I loved looking at all the parade pics!

That's so cool that you got to see DeVine!! I'm glad you were able to walk around the Tree of Life. That was one of my favorite parts of touring Animal Kingdom last year. It was so much fun finding all the different animals carved in the tree.
The party really did turn out great for us (except Captain Hook, but you can't have everything.) I think it was your trip report that inspired my desire to find the trails so thank you for that
Old 12-05-2010, 01:45 AM   #160
burly
DIS Veteran

finally all caught up. Great photopass pics! I'm sorry the roaming characters were a dissapointment. It would have been great to get the magic picture with Hook, while you guys were all dressed up, especially Peter!
I also think the Boo to You parade is the best parade and parade music! Love the dancing grave diggers!
We actually watched the hallowishes from the Cali Grill once. It was absolutely one of the best memories ever.
Sorry to hijack. Great TR!

KIM
Old 12-05-2010, 07:54 AM   #161
dismagiclover

Quote:
Originally Posted by burly View Post
finally all caught up. Great photopass pics! I'm sorry the roaming characters were a dissapointment. It would have been great to get the magic picture with Hook, while you guys were all dressed up, especially Peter!
I also think the Boo to You parade is the best parade and parade music! Love the dancing grave diggers!
We actually watched the hallowishes from the Cali Grill once. It was absolutely one of the best memories ever.
Sorry to hijack. Great TR!
KIM
You definitely aren't hijacking! Just making some great comments to add to the discussion The magic picture with Hook would have been awesome, but I didn't notice a Photopass guy in those parts. If I had you know I would have been all over it! My kids are still a bit annoyed with me that I didn't buy the CD with the Halloween music. They loved the parade music and sang it for days.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:00 AM   #162
dismagiclover

Finishing up the Animal Kingdom

Our fast pass time had arrived so we hopped in line for the Safari. We always love this ride. The highlight this time was probably the elephants in the water with the baby elephant by the side. (I guess he can’t swim yet.) Here are a few shots.

It was around 1:30 by this point and I was feeling pretty crummy even though I was doing my best to not think about it. We still hadn’t received a text telling us our room was ready, but we decided to head back to the resort anyway. Since we were only going to be there one night we really wanted to spend most of our day there. On the way out we stopped for some delicious ice cream treats.

These really hit the spot. We meandered our way out of the park stopping for some PP shots (of course).

We also stopped to say goodbye to the parrots.

Though we were only there for a few hours we really enjoyed our time in Animal Kingdom this trip. The past couple of trips it had been way too hot there. The weather this day was great and it made me remember this really is a great park. We plan on spending more time there in January.

Next Up: Will we ever get in our room?
Old 12-05-2010, 02:10 PM   #163
Stefy
Fantasising of our next DCL & WDW Trip

All caught up. Sounds like you had a great time during the Halloween parade, bless Michael. Love that the CM was declaring everyone make a path for him

Yummy Kona breakfast, although sorry you weren't feeling so great. Nothing worse than being sick at Disney

Great AK day, loving all the photos. It's such a beautiful park isn't it
Old 12-06-2010, 06:18 PM   #164
dismagiclover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefy View Post
All caught up. Sounds like you had a great time during the Halloween parade, bless Michael. Love that the CM was declaring everyone make a path for him

Yummy Kona breakfast, although sorry you weren't feeling so great. Nothing worse than being sick at Disney

Great AK day, loving all the photos. It's such a beautiful park isn't it
I'm sure that was quite the site as DH carried a screaming Michael through the Emporium with the CM clearing a path AK is a really lovely park, especially when it isn't hot outside!
Old 12-08-2010, 05:44 PM   #165
dismagiclover

Kidani

We headed back to the hotel and still no text. So we grabbed our bathing suits and headed to the pool. By this point I was really feeling not too hot so I just sat on a lounge chair and rested. No one seemed to mind though. This was a nice pool with a fun play area. Everyone had a great time. Here are a few shots of the pool area I borrowed from the Kidani picture thread.

We spent a couple hours at the pool. It was getting close to 4:00 and we still hadn’t received a text with our room number. So I sent DH to the lobby to ask if our room was ready. Well it was. We just never received a text. The same thing happened to us in June at OKW. A little annoying since all I wanted was a bed to crash in. So we headed up to our room. What did we think? We walked in and were all immediately in love with it. These rooms are really beautiful. Here are a few shots.

At this point I was feeling awful and all I wanted to do was lay down and take a nap. So that is what I did. DH and the kids on the other hand had a grand time exploring the resort. They went down to the community center for a while. When they came back they spent some time out on our balcony looking at the animals. In fact I was awoken by Michael running in from the balcony telling me about all the cool animals that were out there. He really was in heaven. Here are some shots from the balcony we took that evening.

We had a dinner ADR for Saana, but I really wasn’t feeling up to it so we decided to order room service instead. This is one thing I really wish I would have taken a picture of, but I was not feeling well. When I came out of the bedroom for dinner the table was beautifully set with an abundance of delicious food from Saana. We only ordered 3 meals because we had only planned to use 5 credits this meal. (We were on the DxDDP for the night.) We had to use 6, but it was worth it. There was plenty of food and it was actually more pleasant to eat in the comfort of our beautiful villa with the animals right outside. What I ate was tasty, but I didn’t eat much. DH loved it! It was a great mix of flavors and spices. We’d definitely eat at Saana again (though technically I guess we didn’t eat there.) After dinner everyone went out and did something else in the resort. While they were gone I took a bath in the incredible bathroom. Here is a shot of the tub.

Then I crawled into bed hopeful that I would feel better the next morning. Though I was under the weather I still loved this resort and couldn’t think of a better place to be.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: