Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 09:38 AM   #1276
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469
Never mind the Kool-Aid, don’t drink the Beverly!
If it’s still here tomorrow… I may ignore it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma's Dad View Post
Now let's make like Jeff Foxworthy and add a little redneck. My crazy cousin somehow found lying around in the area a very old mattress... so old in fact that all the cloth had already deteriorated from the metal springs. He also managed to score a 4'x6' sheet of plywood. Can you see where this is headed? Our crazy brains deduced that if we set the mattress and plywood at the right angle... add a bunch of snow at the base of it... we could make the most perfect ramp to launch our sleds off of. So... we make it. And trek back up the hill. And my cousin tears off down the hill... hits the ramp... and soars about 20 feet off the ramp and lands perfectly! It was incredible! It worked! So then I take off... down the hill... gathering speed... hit the ramp, and here's where the story goes south. Apparently, when my cousin hit the ramp, the snow that had been packed at the bottom of the ramp had come loose... and the plywood came up about 3". So..... when my sled hit the start of the ramp the nose of the sled went UNDER the plywood. Oh... and I forgot to mention that we are going HEAD first on the double runner! Take a second to imagine this... hands are on the wood steering bar... head first... sled is going under the plywood... I'm going 30+ MPH... Next thing I know it feels like someone rips my hands off my arms as they get trapped under the plywood... the sled comes to an instant stop...and I continue down the ramp (without a sled) flying like Superman through the air about 20 feet... then land head first into the powdery snow. My cousin lost it and was busting his gut laughing in the snow. Meanwhile... I seriously thought I lost both hands at the wrist. Thank God nothing was cut or broken! Still not sure how I got through that incident!!
Quite the story. I’d rank that one up there with Feds fishing boat adventure.

There ought to be some type of DDC award for folks that have pulled off stunts of this caliber.

BTW - Page 86
Old 12-16-2010, 10:07 AM   #1277
Emma's Dad
DIS Dad's Club Member
SOMEONE thinks I know SOMETHING!
Get your zombie ammunition NOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post

There ought to be some type of DDC award for folks that have pulled off stunts of this caliber.
The DDCDAA (DIS Dad Club Dumb (Beverly) Award)
DIS Dads Club Member #115
4/08 - POP, 4/09 - CSR, 4/10 - CSR, 4/11 - BWV, 1/13, 4/13 & 12/13 - BCR

"If only Tinker Bell was related to the tooth fairy... where is my Disney magic??" - 2010 TR
"What's Your Problem?" Caught by loop and hook... (My first TR)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-16-2010, 10:13 AM   #1278
Emma's Dad
DIS Dad's Club Member
SOMEONE thinks I know SOMETHING!
Get your zombie ammunition NOW!

Well... the snow has started...
DIS Dads Club Member #115
4/08 - POP, 4/09 - CSR, 4/10 - CSR, 4/11 - BWV, 1/13, 4/13 & 12/13 - BCR

"If only Tinker Bell was related to the tooth fairy... where is my Disney magic??" - 2010 TR
"What's Your Problem?" Caught by loop and hook... (My first TR)
Old 12-16-2010, 10:26 AM   #1279
stopher1

Wall to wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills! Shh...listen
I have plenty of hill left to climb thank you very much

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Quote:
Well... the snow has started...
We got about 5 inches overnight, adding to the 3 or 4 that was already there. Turned my typical 25 min commute into 2 hrs. Blech! Would have just called a snow day and worked from home if I didn't need to be here for a deliveryman bringing our replacement dishwasher (yes, we have a d/w in the office guys). But as soon as he's done...on the way now he tells me...I'll start heading home. Hopefully it won't be more than 45 going home, if I get out of here soon enough.

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!
Old 12-16-2010, 10:28 AM   #1280
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Now let's make like Jeff Foxworthy and add a little redneck. My crazy cousin somehow found lying around in the area a very old mattress... so old in fact that all the cloth had already deteriorated from the metal springs. He also managed to score a 4'x6' sheet of plywood. Can you see where this is headed? Our crazy brains deduced that if we set the mattress and plywood at the right angle... add a bunch of snow at the base of it... we could make the most perfect ramp to launch our sleds off of. So... we make it. And trek back up the hill. And my cousin tears off down the hill... hits the ramp... and soars about 20 feet off the ramp and lands perfectly! It was incredible! It worked! So then I take off... down the hill... gathering speed... hit the ramp, and here's where the story goes south. Apparently, when my cousin hit the ramp, the snow that had been packed at the bottom of the ramp had come loose... and the plywood came up about 3". So..... when my sled hit the start of the ramp the nose of the sled went UNDER the plywood. Oh... and I forgot to mention that we are going HEAD first on the double runner! Take a second to imagine this... hands are on the wood steering bar... head first... sled is going under the plywood... I'm going 30+ MPH... Next thing I know it feels like someone rips my hands off my arms as they get trapped under the plywood... the sled comes to an instant stop...and I continue down the ramp (without a sled) flying like Superman through the air about 20 feet... then land head first into the powdery snow. My cousin lost it and was busting his gut laughing in the snow. Meanwhile... I seriously thought I lost both hands at the wrist. Thank God nothing was cut or broken! Still not sure how I got through that incident!!
I live in a pretty flat area... therefore a lot of our momentum has to be created by means other than gravity. I've ridden on sleds, tubes, car hoods, inside horse troughs and on sheets of metal pulled by anything from a 4 wheeler, to a pickup truck, to a tractor.
When I was in high school, we got our hands on an airfoil (aerodynamic thingy on a semi cab roof) that my friend's dad took off of a semi tractor. A little wax and this thing was the perfect size to pull behind a quad. Within about 3 days we had someone with a concussion, I have about a 5" scar on my back, 2 wrecked quads, a mangled wad of fiberglass and 2 individuals (not me) covered in pig poop. The sad thing is, this wasn't just one big accident, it was a series of unfortunate mishaps that we never seemed to learn from. And I'm pretty sure the phrase "hey y'all, watch this" was shouted once or twice...

Since then, I've bought a farm with a hill on it. Like I said, I live in a pretty flat county, but the southern portion has a few hills just popping up in various places. Most of the hills are wooded, but the one by my house crosses a couple of property lines and takes up about 60 acres or so. About a third of it is on our property and used to be a pasture. It has been kept mowed over the years, with the exception of 5 or 6 acres that is too steep to mow and is heavily wooded. People from all over the county show up and sled there. I'm usually fine with it, but I've run some off for coming to sled after dark, or for having dogs running loose in my yard (I have a dog that's half blue heeler, half pitbull who doesn't like other dogs).
It is a good place to sled, and believe me when I say it is steeper than it looks. There are some pics on Facebook and it doesn't look steep, but when a 120 hp tractor with duals spins out going up and slides coming down while mowing... it IS steep. We've tried a carhood down the hill, but it is too heavy and isn't very easy to aim. We ended up bailing out before it hit the trees. My favorite new toy is an old plastic pickup truck bedliner. We can aim it, get several people in it and we just push it bobsled style with 2 or 3 of us running and jumping in. It is a pretty good ride, but it still doesn't match up with the old style runner sled that you tried to kill yourself on, Don!
Old 12-16-2010, 10:48 AM   #1281
ClearScreen
DIS Dad #461
An E-Ticket Attraction in my own mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
I've used Yahoo, ESPN and CBS in the past. My favorites are Yahoo and ESPN... both are good, but I'd probably just stick with Yahoo since that's what we have for football and it will be a similar (familiar) league.

I'd suggest doing both AL & NL... it gives a bigger player pool to pick from and would give us the ability to potentially have a few more teams.
I agree about Yahoo and using the player pool from both leagues. We had 14 football owners this year and I would expect around the same for baseball. I think we would need to use both leagues otherwise people may be starting the present day equivalent of Buddy Biancalana at shortstop.

I will post on here about this next year and, like before, ask intereseted owners to send me their e-mail address so I can invite them. It is too early to do this now.

ClearScreen
ClearScreen (Chris) - DIS Dad Club Member #461 - Me(44), DW(45), DD(12), DS(9)

1976 - 2 trips stayed off-site. September, 2000 - Wilderness Lodge. August, 2010 - Contemporary. August, 2012 - Swan. August, 2014 - Coronado Springs

Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates? Morons.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:10 PM   #1282
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Your comment made me recall a sled riding incident that occurred when I was about 12. You see, where I live there are open pit strip mines all around us. However, by the time I got to be a young teen they stopped mining operations. So that left quite a number of places with steep hills... and even a few cliffs of several hundred feet. Also, these places tend to be dumping grounds for people too freaking lazy to take stuff to the dump. Enter into the picture my cousin, Rodney, who was a year older and much crazier than I was at the time. We decided to take our sleds out after mother nature dumped about 10 inches of snow the night before. Found this really cool hill that was about 75 feet high, had a pretty steep slope, and also had this neat curve all the way. For you mountain folks, I'd liken this hill to one of those runaway truck ramps. So we take our double-runner sleds up to the top of this hill and Rodney clears the path down the hill. Took about 5 runs to get the hill just right... but we must have been going 30+ MPH down this hill... total awesomeness!

Quote:
I live in a pretty flat area... therefore a lot of our momentum has to be created by means other than gravity. I've ridden on sleds, tubes, car hoods, inside horse troughs and on sheets of metal pulled by anything from a 4 wheeler, to a pickup truck, to a tractor.
When I was in high school, we got our hands on an airfoil (aerodynamic thingy on a semi cab roof) that my friend's dad took off of a semi tractor. A little wax and this thing was the perfect size to pull behind a quad. Within about 3 days we had someone with a concussion, I have about a 5" scar on my back, 2 wrecked quads, a mangled wad of fiberglass and 2 individuals (not me) covered in pig poop. The sad thing is, this wasn't just one big accident, it was a series of unfortunate mishaps that we never seemed to learn from. And I'm pretty sure the phrase "hey y'all, watch this" was shouted once or twice...

These stories are awesome! Mostly because they happened to somebody else! If only you had video...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopher1 View Post
We got about 5 inches overnight, adding to the 3 or 4 that was already there. Turned my typical 25 min commute into 2 hrs. Blech! Would have just called a snow day and worked from home if I didn't need to be here for a deliveryman bringing our replacement dishwasher (yes, we have a d/w in the office guys). But as soon as he's done...on the way now he tells me...I'll start heading home. Hopefully it won't be more than 45 going home, if I get out of here soon enough.
We have a dishwasher in the office, too. It's called "the summer intern".
Old 12-16-2010, 01:00 PM   #1283
stopher1

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

In case anyone's interested, I've started a new TR...the link is below next to Tink.

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!
Old 12-16-2010, 01:02 PM   #1284
stopher1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post

These stories are awesome! Mostly because they happened to somebody else! If only you had video...

We have a dishwasher in the office, too. It's called "the summer intern".
Well we don't have interns... so when I designed the office we used to be in, I said, we need a dishwasher. When we moved to the current location, it came with us, and then I said, we need a garbage disposal and a plasma tv. I got the disposal. Hopefully when we move again in a few years I'll get the stinkin' tv.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #1285
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Well we don't have interns... so when I designed the office we used to be in, I said, we need a dishwasher. When we moved to the current location, it came with us, and then I said, we need a garbage disposal and a plasma tv. I got the disposal. Hopefully when we move again in a few years I'll get the stinkin' tv.
I like the way you think!
Old 12-16-2010, 04:31 PM   #1286
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
there are labor laws in this country!! no tv???

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

Old 12-16-2010, 05:10 PM   #1287
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469
Never mind the Kool-Aid, don’t drink the Beverly!
If it’s still here tomorrow… I may ignore it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post

Quote:
The DDCDAA (DIS Dad Club Dumb (Beverly) Award)
Or more simply: “The Beverly Award”

I’m sure we’ve all earned a “Beverly” at least once in our lives.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:34 PM   #1288
billybobblockhead
Kiiiiiiids, listen to your mother!

Quote:
Our school system closed schools for today... and there is no snow, now ice, no sleet, no nothin'. Granted, the weather forecast is calling for 1-3 inches later this afternoon... but still.
Quote:
Seems like schools are a lot quicker to pull the trigger and close these days. I remember when I was in school, we'd go to school and then if it looked like we were going to get it, they'd just send us back home early. I think the problem here is the state school superintendant... they're putting so many rules and restraints on the schools that they have to have 180 days, and have to meet certain criteria to qualify for "a day." It is almost pointless to go for part of the day and risk it not even being able to count for a day.

That said, schools are out today, but we got about 5" of snow overnight and it is still falling.
We didn't go to school today either. We had a dusting in my part of the county, but in the northern part of our county, there was much more ice. We aren't one of the systems that is able to go to school by district because we only have 1 high school, so when it's bad in one area, we all stay home. I think that most of you know that I'm a principal, so let me tell you, you DON'T want to even be near my office on days like today. You are Beverly'd if you do and you are Beverly'd if you don't, if you get my drift. I've been talked to like a total dog about snow, or the lack there of in some instances and the accompanying decision to call school or not call school. Parents question me all the time about snow decisions (some are nice, most aren't), and I don't even make the decision. General rule of thumb is always err on the side of caution, and even then, there are tons of folks that call in all Beverly'd off, chewing my butt from one end of the building to the other. Not good, I tell ya, not good at all.

Now my question for the day. Is there a link to a free website anywhere that will show anticipated crowds in January?? I saw a link on one of the forums a couple of weeks ago, but can't find it now. Can anyone help me out??
DISDad #425
Old 12-16-2010, 06:55 PM   #1289
GoHerd1028
DDC 172
"Insert clever tag fairy saying here"
You really think I'm clever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobblockhead View Post
We didn't go to school today either. We had a dusting in my part of the county, but in the northern part of our county, there was much more ice. We aren't one of the systems that is able to go to school by district because we only have 1 high school, so when it's bad in one area, we all stay home. I think that most of you know that I'm a principal, so let me tell you, you DON'T want to even be near my office on days like today. You are Beverly'd if you do and you are Beverly'd if you don't, if you get my drift. I've been talked to like a total dog about snow, or the lack there of in some instances and the accompanying decision to call school or not call school. Parents question me all the time about snow decisions (some are nice, most aren't), and I don't even make the decision. General rule of thumb is always err on the side of caution, and even then, there are tons of folks that call in all Beverly'd off, chewing my butt from one end of the building to the other. Not good, I tell ya, not good at all.

Now my question for the day. Is there a link to a free website anywhere that will show anticipated crowds in January?? I saw a link on one of the forums a couple of weeks ago, but can't find it now. Can anyone help me out??
I just sent you a PM with some info that you might find useful!!
DisDads Club Member #172
DH Steve (47) DW Shari (47) DS Ethan (9) DD Lauren (8)
Old 12-16-2010, 07:26 PM   #1290
billybobblockhead
Kiiiiiiids, listen to your mother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHerd1028 View Post
I just sent you a PM with some info that you might find useful!!
Just got the PM. And a big

Appreciate the help.
DISDad #425
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: