Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 08:08 AM   #1261
scott2997
DIS Dad#543
You trying for ownage?!
I'm not sure what I'll be tied up in at home tonight

OK - here's a newb question for you guys....

I registered online for a "free disney planning DVD" and because of this also received an email from Disney with one of those cool "PIN Codes" which I'm assuming will provide some kind of discount on a future Disney vacation.

My question is - do these expire?

We already have our vacations scheduled for 2011 (I only get two weeks vacation after working for a company for 11 years!) We have one week scheduled with the in-laws and one with my parents.

Do you think I could use this for a vacation for next year? (2012)

Thanks Guys.

Dis Dads Member #543

April 2012 Spring Break TR

Trips:April 2014 (BLT), January 2014 (CBR), January 2013 (OKW), April 2012 (BLT)
MK Only (1 day visits) - 2013, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008
Offsite - 2013, 2005, 1990
Old 12-16-2010, 08:10 AM   #1262
Emma's Dad
DIS Dad's Club Member
SOMEONE thinks I know SOMETHING!
Get your zombie ammunition NOW!

Our school system closed schools for today... and there is no snow, now ice, no sleet, no nothin'. Granted, the weather forecast is calling for 1-3 inches later this afternoon... but still.
DIS Dads Club Member #115
4/08 - POP, 4/09 - CSR, 4/10 - CSR, 4/11 - BWV, 1/13, 4/13 & 12/13 - BCR

"If only Tinker Bell was related to the tooth fairy... where is my Disney magic??" - 2010 TR
"What's Your Problem?" Caught by loop and hook... (My first TR)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-16-2010, 08:15 AM   #1263
Sonnyeclipse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma's Dad View Post
Our school system closed schools for today... and there is no snow, now ice, no sleet, no nothin'. Granted, the weather forecast is calling for 1-3 inches later this afternoon... but still.
It's amazing isn't it? We cancel schools here if there is a "threat" of bad weather. My kids had several "snow" days last year where it didn't snow at all.
DIS Dad's Club member #538
My December 2010 Trip report

Need to book a new trip.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:16 AM   #1264
scott2997
DIS Dad#543
You trying for ownage?!

Quote:
I think it's funny how different parts of the country handle snow and school delays/closings. We get 1-3 inches up here all the time and still go to school.

We did have a cancelled school day Monday with that clipper system that came through only because of the blowing/drifting and the wet icy snow that came with it.

Dis Dads Member #543

Trips:April 2014 (BLT), January 2014 (CBR), January 2013 (OKW), April 2012 (BLT)
Old 12-16-2010, 08:19 AM   #1265
Emma's Dad
DIS Dad's Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnyeclipse View Post
It's amazing isn't it? We cancel schools here if there is a "threat" of bad weather. My kids had several "snow" days last year where it didn't snow at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott2997 View Post
I think it's funny how different parts of the country handle snow and school delays/closings. We get 1-3 inches up here all the time and still go to school.

We did have a cancelled school day Monday with that clipper system that came through only because of the blowing/drifting and the wet icy snow that came with it.
Yeah... I'm from the north and we only closed when it got real bad... and especially with ice. I remember our bus going into the ditch one morning! Boy was that the topic of conversation for a week! There was only 6 inches of snow on the ground that morning!

"If only Tinker Bell was related to the tooth fairy... where is my Disney magic??" - 2010 TR
Old 12-16-2010, 08:32 AM   #1266
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends
now I have some things to plan, I'm going to try to get the Dapper Dans

Dec 6th when we were on the Autotrain it was snowing in NC it didn't stick to the road, but it looked like around 2inches on the ground
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Old 12-16-2010, 08:37 AM   #1267
DisneyDadC
Dis Dad Member #187
time to order me up a bag of dole whip mix

Quote:
This is not fair Don I don't think it should snow there if it doesn't snow here.I cant have you getting any practice in on the Igloo building!!!!
We started somewhat of a igloo competition last year and I have a feeling it will blossom into the great DDC build off lol I want another yr like last yr.My daughter has already asked what we will do this yr.She said we did igloos and castle last yr now what we going to do? I tried explaining it is all based on how much snow we get!! So bring it on measured in feet.!!!
Dis Dad's Club Member #187 Dis Dad's Facebook Club Member
Tickets $,Travel $, Rooms Costs $,Putting a smile on a childs face=Priceless Keep up the Magic

Old 12-16-2010, 08:39 AM   #1268
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469
Never mind the Kool-Aid, don’t drink the Beverly!
If it’s still here tomorrow… I may ignore it again

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnyeclipse View Post
Quote:

I have to give our district credit for not over reacting this time around. In general, the way an area deals with “snow” is related to just how often they have to deal with the stuff. Since we rarely get winter weather, we don’t budget any money for the equipment required to clear the roads, so the rare snow storm just shuts us down completely. As it generally melts in a day or sometimes in mere hours, we just wait it out and then get back to normal. The real problem down this way is that we’re more likely to get an ice storm then sleet or snow and no amount of salt, slag or plowing will make an iced over bridge any safer (not to mention, our drives don’t get the necessary practice dealing with the stuff and tend to drive rather foolishly).
Old 12-16-2010, 08:42 AM   #1269
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Seems like schools are a lot quicker to pull the trigger and close these days. I remember when I was in school, we'd go to school and then if it looked like we were going to get it, they'd just send us back home early. I think the problem here is the state school superintendant... they're putting so many rules and restraints on the schools that they have to have 180 days, and have to meet certain criteria to qualify for "a day." It is almost pointless to go for part of the day and risk it not even being able to count for a day.

That said, schools are out today, but we got about 5" of snow overnight and it is still falling.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:45 AM   #1270
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDadC View Post
This is not fair Don I don't think it should snow there if it doesn't snow here.I cant have you getting any practice in on the Igloo building!!!!
We started somewhat of a igloo competition last year and I have a feeling it will blossom into the great DDC build off lol I want another yr like last yr.My daughter has already asked what we will do this yr.She said we did igloos and castle last yr now what we going to do? I tried explaining it is all based on how much snow we get!! So bring it on measured in feet.!!!
Wow, Igloos and castles??? We've probably got enough snow for that right now with what we've accumulated over the past couple of snows here, but it is too cold and too dry to get it to pack very well. If you want best sledding hill or most redneck way to enjoy the snow, I can compete with any of you though.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:51 AM   #1271
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469

Quote:
OK - here's a newb question for you guys....

I registered online for a "free disney planning DVD" and because of this also received an email from Disney with one of those cool "PIN Codes" which I'm assuming will provide some kind of discount on a future Disney vacation.

My question is - do these expire?

We already have our vacations scheduled for 2011 (I only get two weeks vacation after working for a company for 11 years!) We have one week scheduled with the in-laws and one with my parents.

Do you think I could use this for a vacation for next year? (2012)

Thanks Guys.
Expiration on PIN numbers varies a good bit. Some last a long while, some expire quickly. It’s all depends on the reaction and just how many empty rooms they are trying to fill. If you went ahead and book a 2012 vacation now, they’ll likely apply the offer they just sent you to that trip (that’s what they hoping you will do in the first place). You can often find current pin numbers by looking around on the boards and on similar web communities, although Disney would prefer that you didn’t share the info. Just curious, what kind of offer is associated with this particular PIN code?
Old 12-16-2010, 09:01 AM   #1272
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469

One more work day and it's off to WDW! I get through this one without any additional peanut butter issues cropping up and I’m home free.

We’ll go listen to the Christmas concert out at the high school this evening, then just finish up the packing tonight and in the morning. Once my young’in finishes up at school tomorrow, we pick him up and hit the southbound highways. Then its one night off-site and we check in at POR Saturday morning and crash the gates at AK as soon as the bus will take us. A day of Disney Magic, followed by dinner at the Polly and a leisurely trip around all the resorts on the Bay Lake Loop to check out the holiday décor and the knowledge that I get to stay four more days after that and I just might be rescued from the end-of-year-funk that’s begun to set in.

Man I need this trip!!!
Old 12-16-2010, 09:07 AM   #1273
Goofy + 3
DDC 400
Remember, it's ok to cry a little. Not too much, just a little

Quote:
Yeah, no school in Richmond either. But here, it's already coming down pretty good. Around 5 inches expected. And by the way, I lived in Illinois til I was 17 and never missed a single day of school due to weather. Different parts of the country just don't freak out about this stuff.
DIS Dad #400
Old 12-16-2010, 09:14 AM   #1274
scott2997
DIS Dad#543
You trying for ownage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
Expiration on PIN numbers varies a good bit. Some last a long while, some expire quickly. It’s all depends on the reaction and just how many empty rooms they are trying to fill. If you went ahead and book a 2012 vacation now, they’ll likely apply the offer they just sent you to that trip (that’s what they hoping you will do in the first place). You can often find current pin numbers by looking around on the boards and on similar web communities, although Disney would prefer that you didn’t share the info. Just curious, what kind of offer is associated with this particular PIN code?
This particular email just states "Save 10% at select Disney Resort Hotels" It says book by 1/24/11.

Dis Dads Member #543

Old 12-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #1275
Emma's Dad
DIS Dad's Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDadC View Post
LOL... yeah, I guess I did start that, didn't I? My DD is already asking if we are going to make another one this year. Like you, I had to explain the whole supply of snow thing. I gently reminded her that last year was a very special year for us. The kind of snow we got last year was the most perfect snow-packing snow I had ever seen since my youth. I know I'm preaching to the choir here... but it does take a certain set of conditions to make any kind of snow structure. I would LOVE to have the opportunity to show off our snow creativity...if the Lord provides!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
I have to give our district credit for not over reacting this time around. In general, the way an area deals with “snow” is related to just how often they have to deal with the stuff. Since we rarely get winter weather, we don’t budget any money for the equipment required to clear the roads, so the rare snow storm just shuts us down completely. As it generally melts in a day or sometimes in mere hours, we just wait it out and then get back to normal. The real problem down this way is that we’re more likely to get an ice storm then sleet or snow and no amount of salt, slag or plowing will make an iced over bridge any safer (not to mention, our drives don’t get the necessary practice dealing with the stuff and tend to drive rather foolishly).
Yeah... pretty much the same boat here. And we have LOTS of bridges here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Seems like schools are a lot quicker to pull the trigger and close these days. I remember when I was in school, we'd go to school and then if it looked like we were going to get it, they'd just send us back home early. I think the problem here is the state school superintendant... they're putting so many rules and restraints on the schools that they have to have 180 days, and have to meet certain criteria to qualify for "a day." It is almost pointless to go for part of the day and risk it not even being able to count for a day.

That said, schools are out today, but we got about 5" of snow overnight and it is still falling.
Quote:
5" of snow overnight and it is still falling
Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Wow, Igloos and castles??? We've probably got enough snow for that right now with what we've accumulated over the past couple of snows here, but it is too cold and too dry to get it to pack very well. If you want best sledding hill or most redneck way to enjoy the snow, I can compete with any of you though.
Exactly! Just not the right kind of snow to make anything!

Your comment made me recall a sled riding incident that occurred when I was about 12. You see, where I live there are open pit strip mines all around us. However, by the time I got to be a young teen they stopped mining operations. So that left quite a number of places with steep hills... and even a few cliffs of several hundred feet. Also, these places tend to be dumping grounds for people too freaking lazy to take stuff to the dump. Enter into the picture my cousin, Rodney, who was a year older and much crazier than I was at the time. We decided to take our sleds out after mother nature dumped about 10 inches of snow the night before. Found this really cool hill that was about 75 feet high, had a pretty steep slope, and also had this neat curve all the way. For you mountain folks, I'd liken this hill to one of those runaway truck ramps. So we take our double-runner sleds up to the top of this hill and Rodney clears the path down the hill. Took about 5 runs to get the hill just right... but we must have been going 30+ MPH down this hill... total awesomeness!

Now let's make like Jeff Foxworthy and add a little redneck. My crazy cousin somehow found lying around in the area a very old mattress... so old in fact that all the cloth had already deteriorated from the metal springs. He also managed to score a 4'x6' sheet of plywood. Can you see where this is headed? Our crazy brains deduced that if we set the mattress and plywood at the right angle... add a bunch of snow at the base of it... we could make the most perfect ramp to launch our sleds off of. So... we make it. And trek back up the hill. And my cousin tears off down the hill... hits the ramp... and soars about 20 feet off the ramp and lands perfectly! It was incredible! It worked! So then I take off... down the hill... gathering speed... hit the ramp, and here's where the story goes south. Apparently, when my cousin hit the ramp, the snow that had been packed at the bottom of the ramp had come loose... and the plywood came up about 3". So..... when my sled hit the start of the ramp the nose of the sled went UNDER the plywood. Oh... and I forgot to mention that we are going HEAD first on the double runner! Take a second to imagine this... hands are on the wood steering bar... head first... sled is going under the plywood... I'm going 30+ MPH... Next thing I know it feels like someone rips my hands off my arms as they get trapped under the plywood... the sled comes to an instant stop...and I continue down the ramp (without a sled) flying like Superman through the air about 20 feet... then land head first into the powdery snow. My cousin lost it and was busting his gut laughing in the snow. Meanwhile... I seriously thought I lost both hands at the wrist. Thank God nothing was cut or broken! Still not sure how I got through that incident!!

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: