Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 08:23 AM   #136
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
they are going to need it week come down to see Vick and company
Congratulations on the win yesterday. Tough loss for the Colts. I heard on the news this morning they are holding an open tryout for RB and WR.

You're absolutely right. With the money that Jerry Jones throws around to win, I still have no idea how Wade Phillips ever even got that job to begin with. I was shocked when he was announced as their coach and the surprise doesn't get any less each year he is on the sidelines.[/QUOTE]

to quote jerry jones after the game," someone is gonna pay for this." i hear ticket prices are gonna triple!!!

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

Old 11-08-2010, 09:04 AM   #137
trennr
DISDad #104
Oh, thee of little faith
Nate....

I'm not picking on you Cowboy fans...but that last night was embarassing.

Jerry Jones was asked what needed to be fixed...his reply was...

"I can't put my finger on it because I don't have enough fingers."
Register to remove

Old 11-08-2010, 09:21 AM   #138
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
I have a brother in China who loves the night time Packer games - it gives him an excuse to call in sick to work, start drinking at 8 am, and watch the game live. He said he was at a bar full of Texans and he was the only one wearing a foam Cheesehead. The bar got quieter and quieter as the game when on - except at his table.

Enjoy your bye week!

Quote:
Congratulations on the win yesterday. Tough loss for the Colts. I heard on the news this morning they are holding an open tryout for RB and WR.

You're absolutely right. With the money that Jerry Jones throws around to win, I still have no idea how Wade Phillips ever even got that job to begin with. I was shocked when he was announced as their coach and the surprise doesn't get any less each year he is on the sidelines.
That was a nail-biter of a game (Eagles-Colts, I mean). I don't normally complain about officiating because it typically evens out, but some of the calls last night were awful. What did they look like from a Colts point of view?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
to quote jerry jones after the game," someone is gonna pay for this." i hear ticket prices are gonna triple!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by trennr View Post
I'm not picking on you Cowboy fans...but that last night was embarassing.

Jerry Jones was asked what needed to be fixed...his reply was...

"I can't put my finger on it because I don't have enough fingers."
Jones said "People will suffer" for this. Haven't Cowboys fans suffered enough this year?
Old 11-08-2010, 09:41 AM   #139
AJRitz
DIS DAD #420
Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post

That was a nail-biter of a game (Eagles-Colts, I mean). I don't normally complain about officiating because it typically evens out, but some of the calls last night were awful. What did they look like from a Colts point of view?

Jones said "People will suffer" for this. Haven't Cowboys fans suffered enough this year?
I think there was something in the coffee the NFL officials were drinking on Sunday morning. I just read somewhere that, across the league yesterday, an average of 15 penalties/game were called. I've seen more bad calls on pass interference/not pass interference in the last three weeks than I've seen in years. It's just been awful. Officials have not been in proper position to make the calls, and seem to be guessing about whether/how significant contact was made.

As for the Cowboys, the root of the problem is the owner. He runs out of town anyone who questions his judgment on personnel or game planning matters (e.g. Parcells). So he ends up spending a ton of money on players that, while they may be individually talented, don't mesh together well as a team. He ends up with a locker room full of selfish malcontents. And their drafts of late have been awful. They draft like Dave Kingman used to swing at baseballs. Every pick is a huge swing - and they end up striking out more than they hit homeruns. There's no reason that they should have entered this season expecting Alex Barron to be a starting NFL left tackle - he was let go by a team with a glaring need at the position (the Rams) because he couldn't handle right tackle.

It's been frustrating being a Chiefs fan the last few years, but at least the ownership has been (mostly) honest about a rebuilding effort and not pretending that they were poised for a Super Bowl run. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to be a Cowboy fan right now, and see just how deep a pile of peanut butter Jerry Jones has been shoveling on top of them for the last three years (at least).
Come visit the DISDads clubhouse! | DISDad #420 - Visit our new forum!

Old 11-08-2010, 09:54 AM   #140
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
When I watch a game, I always try to keep a level perspective of the officiating. I realize these guys are watching top notch athletes at full speed and have to make split second decisions while we have the advantage of instant replay and multiple camera angles.

The 15 yarder for the helmet to helmet with Collie was borderline, but with the NFL cracking down that's gonna be called every time now. I thought they missed a horsecollar on Garcon, but we're very sensitive about losing receivers at this point and it was really close enough to go either way anyway.
Overall, yeah, I think this crew will be having a sitdown with the NFL braintrust. They made some bad calls both ways, but they seemed penalty happy and it felt like they wanted to make their mark on the game... I thought they did a good job of being questionable at best on some small things and missing some big ones. I thought the ref looked like a deer in the headlights a few times when he was talking to the teams or on the mic explaining a call.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:07 AM   #141
prattpak
DIS Dad #479
Big tiki add those of us that have given our names on here

So I got WDW paid off, and I already got my "Magical Express" envelope. When should I start panicing when my other envelope doesnt show up, the one with your room info and luggage tags and such? I paid off at 40 days prior instead of the 45, so that should affect it a little I would assume.
Member #479 DIS Dads
Me (Mark), DW (Wendy), DS (Christian), DD (Libby), DS (Robin) Sweet NEW logo
She deserves a cruise, right?
Old 11-08-2010, 10:12 AM   #142
prattpak
DIS Dad #479
Big tiki add those of us that have given our names on here

Are they still doing the cash card or fast pass promo for your birthday. Last year it was a free day, cash card or fast pass for your birthday promo. Is that gone? It will be our sons 12th birthday while we are there and was just curious. Thank you oh great bath of knowledge!
Member #479 DIS Dads
Me (Mark), DW (Wendy), DS (Christian), DD (Libby), DS (Robin) Sweet NEW logo
She deserves a cruise, right?
Old 11-08-2010, 10:14 AM   #143
ClearScreen
DIS Dad #461
An E-Ticket Attraction in my own mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRitz View Post
They draft like Dave Kingman used to swing at baseballs. Every pick is a huge swing - and they end up striking out more than they hit homeruns.
Nice analogy!

When Kong connected (granted, not too often) they sure went a long way. I don't even think he was on steroids.

ClearScreen
ClearScreen (Chris) - DIS Dad Club Member #461 - Me(44), DW(45), DD(12), DS(9)

1976 - 2 trips stayed off-site. September, 2000 - Wilderness Lodge. August, 2010 - Contemporary. August, 2012 - Swan. August, 2014 - Coronado Springs

Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates? Morons.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:16 AM   #144
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
I They draft like Dave Kingman used to swing at baseballs. Every pick is a huge swing - and they end up striking out more than they hit homeruns.

It's been frustrating being a Chiefs fan the last few years, but at least the ownership has been (mostly) honest about a rebuilding effort and not pretending that they were poised for a Super Bowl run. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to be a Cowboy fan right now, and see just how deep a pile of peanut butter Jerry Jones has been shoveling on top of them for the last three years (at least).
That Kingman comment is great. Well said!

I like what your Chiefs are doing right now. Everybody knows you've got to have a good QB (even if not great) to win and they went and got one. They're doing a great job of building from the ground up. If you think about it, they really were only "irrelevant" for about 4 years or so before getting back to being a team to beat. They had probably the best 2010 draft class in the league, and if they can keep avoiding Jerry Jones' draft tactics, they will be a fixture in the playoffs soon and for years to come.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:26 AM   #145
AJRitz
DIS DAD #420
Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville

Quote:
Originally Posted by prattpak View Post
Are they still doing the cash card or fast pass promo for your birthday. Last year it was a free day, cash card or fast pass for your birthday promo. Is that gone? It will be our sons 12th birthday while we are there and was just curious. Thank you oh great bath of knowledge!
That promo ended a little over a year ago. It was replaced with the Give A Day/Get A Day volunteering promotion, which was so popular that they cut it off after only three months.
Come visit the DISDads clubhouse! | DISDad #420 - Visit our new forum!

Old 11-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #146
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
As for the Cowboys, the root of the problem is the owner. He runs out of town anyone who questions his judgment on personnel or game planning matters (e.g. Parcells). So he ends up spending a ton of money on players that, while they may be individually talented, don't mesh together well as a team. He ends up with a locker room full of selfish malcontents. And their drafts of late have been awful. They draft like Dave Kingman used to swing at baseballs. Every pick is a huge swing - and they end up striking out more than they hit homeruns. There's no reason that they should have entered this season expecting Alex Barron to be a starting NFL left tackle - he was let go by a team with a glaring need at the position (the Rams) because he couldn't handle right tackle.

I love being a Packer fan. As a publicly traded company, we have no owner. The shareholders elect a board of directors, which elect an executive committee, which elect the President/CEO. Everyone is accountable to someone, ending with the shareholders - who just happen to be the fans (How's that for a concept - the fans are in charge of the team!). There are no dividends paid out, the price of a share never rises or falls, and there are safeguards put in place so any one person can't own more than a certain percentage of the team.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #147
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
I think there was something in the coffee the NFL officials were drinking on Sunday morning. I just read somewhere that, across the league yesterday, an average of 15 penalties/game were called. I've seen more bad calls on pass interference/not pass interference in the last three weeks than I've seen in years. It's just been awful. Officials have not been in proper position to make the calls, and seem to be guessing about whether/how significant contact was made.

Great analysis. When I read Jones' comments, I thought, "Did anyone ask him about the GM?" Jones certainly has a lot of hubris working against him.

You've got to be happy with the Chiefs so far this year (yesterday notwithstanding). Some good draft picks and smart coaches seem to be starting to pay off. Crennel and Weis may not have cut it as head coaches, but they don't appear to have forgotten how to run an offense or defense.

Quote:
When I watch a game, I always try to keep a level perspective of the officiating. I realize these guys are watching top notch athletes at full speed and have to make split second decisions while we have the advantage of instant replay and multiple camera angles.

The 15 yarder for the helmet to helmet with Collie was borderline, but with the NFL cracking down that's gonna be called every time now. I thought they missed a horsecollar on Garcon, but we're very sensitive about losing receivers at this point and it was really close enough to go either way anyway.
Overall, yeah, I think this crew will be having a sitdown with the NFL braintrust. They made some bad calls both ways, but they seemed penalty happy and it felt like they wanted to make their mark on the game... I thought they did a good job of being questionable at best on some small things and missing some big ones. I thought the ref looked like a deer in the headlights a few times when he was talking to the teams or on the mic explaining a call.
I thought the hit on Collie should have been legal. I'm not sure how he was "defenseless" when he came down, took a step and then ducked his head and covered the ball with both hands. Neither defender left his feet or launched himself into Collie. Anyway, I do hope he's ok.

I hated the phantom "running into the kicker" and "personal foul for touching the QB's helmet" calls, too. But those have been going on for a while.

Quote:
That Kingman comment is great. Well said!

I like what your Chiefs are doing right now. Everybody knows you've got to have a good QB (even if not great) to win and they went and got one. They're doing a great job of building from the ground up. If you think about it, they really were only "irrelevant" for about 4 years or so before getting back to being a team to beat. They had probably the best 2010 draft class in the league, and if they can keep avoiding Jerry Jones' draft tactics, they will be a fixture in the playoffs soon and for years to come.

Quote:
I love being a Packer fan. As a publicly traded company, we have no owner. The shareholders elect a board of directors, which elect an executive committee, which elect the President/CEO. Everyone is accountable to someone, ending with the shareholders - who just happen to be the fans (How's that for a concept - the fans are in charge of the team!). There are no dividends paid out, the price of a share never rises or falls, and there are safeguards put in place so any one person can't own more than a certain percentage of the team.
So are you a shareholder?
Old 11-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #148
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
Alas, I am not. The last stock sale was in 1998, when I was just starting college. I would really have liked to bought a share, but as a college student surviving off of generic Mac & Cheese, the $200 per share price was just out of my budget.
I am on the season ticket waiting list, however. My (then) future mother in law added my name for my birthday in 1996. I get a post card every year with my new position in line. I'm currently 18,611. Average turnover per year: about 200.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #149
Rental01
DIS Dad’s Club Member #366

Okay, so I have a "business" (federal tax id, the whole shebang) which I'm operating whereby I take pictures of family, friends, and the things in which my family involves itself and I can get paid for those prints that people have printed. I can't call myself a professional photographer yet because I haven't been paid for anything yet - still building a portfolio. I've heard nothing from anyone who has asked me to take pictures of their families. Until this week.

See the ticker below? 3 days until I leave! I'm BUSY until then planning things out and getting things in order to leave. Now I have 2 people asking me what my sitting fees are for Christmas card pictures! BAH! I can't fit the time in for that AND the time necessary to edit and prepare the pictures for TWO shoots in three days. Esp when tonight we're doing Young Marines stuff and on Wednesday night we're dropping the animals off at their foster families for the next 3 weeks.

One of the people has offered to have his shoot moved to when I get back. Let's hope I can get the other family to agree. Either that or I do it tomorrow night.

Obligatory gallery post
Home School Dis Dad's Alliance

Old 11-08-2010, 12:13 PM   #150
middlepat
Dis Dad Member #325

Quote:
Quote:
My cube neighbor is a shareholder, and an avid Packer fan. We always have "fun discussions" when the Bears play the Cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rental01 View Post
Okay, so I have a "business" (federal tax id, the whole shebang) which I'm operating whereby I take pictures of family, friends, and the things in which my family involves itself and I can get paid for those prints that people have printed. I can't call myself a professional photographer yet because I haven't been paid for anything yet - still building a portfolio. I've heard nothing from anyone who has asked me to take pictures of their families. Until this week.

See the ticker below? 3 days until I leave! I'm BUSY until then planning things out and getting things in order to leave. Now I have 2 people asking me what my sitting fees are for Christmas card pictures! BAH! I can't fit the time in for that AND the time necessary to edit and prepare the pictures for TWO shoots in three days. Esp when tonight we're doing Young Marines stuff and on Wednesday night we're dropping the animals off at their foster families for the next 3 weeks.

One of the people has offered to have his shoot moved to when I get back. Let's hope I can get the other family to agree. Either that or I do it tomorrow night.

Obligatory gallery post
Good luck on the re-scheduling. Hope it all works out. Also congrats on finally kicking off the old revenue generation portion of the "professional" tag.

Finally AJRitz I'm hunting for Dragons in the DDFFL. Should be an interesting matchup tonight, I may be down 14 pts. but Mendenhall vs. Reed (+14) should end up close... assuming not too many FGs.

Me (41) DW (29+) DD (11) DD (10) DD (6)
Nov 01 ASMo, Sept 05 WL, Jan 07 POFQ, Nov 09 Poly May 13 Off-Site (Windsor Hills)
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: