Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
hinodis
DIS Veteran

Store brand VS name brand turkey

I am doing Thanksgiving dinner this year and I am not sure what kind of turkey I should buy. Is Butterball or Honeysuckle really better then the .38 cents a pound store brand?
hinodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:01 PM   #2
kathie859
DIS Veteran

I've tried them all....

Including fresh turkey from a local poultry farm and I think that ANY frozen bird, properly frozen, properly defrosted and roasted will taste remarkably the same and that it's not inferior to a fresh bird . I've had great results with a store brand cheapie I am sure that there are purists out there who swear by Butterball or that fresh, free range is the only way to go--but frankly, my taste buds can't tell enough of a difference to validate the price difference.
Register to remove

Old 11-03-2010, 10:56 PM   #3
maleficentmom
Mouseketeer

last year walmart had the cheapest turkeys around here and I got 3...my sister always cooks a butterball and bastes it forever,etc...I cooked mine in a Reynolds turkey Bag (easy and quick) and my kid said "Mom your turkey is so much juicier than Aunt Jane's"..lol...another time I soaked the bird in orange slices and salt water overnight(got the recipe online),stuffed it and used the bag and my sis thought it was great.
maleficentmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:24 PM   #4
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Going from memory....

health food store, kosher, free range turkey.

It will be small, it won't be all plumped up. But it will be the best you've ever had.

Can't believe I just told someone what sort of turkey to eat...will have to spend extra time chatting with the turkeys at the fair next year. But seriously, once my mom could afford those turkeys the meals were SO much better, and none of us ever went back to the ridiculously huge things at the regular store. (of course I went veggie soon after!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:33 AM   #5
Evi
DIS Veteran

I disagree with the concept that a frozen bird will be as good as a fresh bird. Honestly the most important things are that the bird is fresh and hormone free. The fresher the bird the better it will be. I also highly recommend using a brine for your bird or buying one that has been sitting in a brine.
Evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:53 AM   #6
sharonmickey
DIS Veteran

I guess it's up to your individual tastes. We had a fresh bird a few years back and it was the driest turkey I've ever had. We had to buy two fresh, hormone free turkeys to have enough for the family to eat. (Usually there is just one large, frozen turkey and that is enough for us.) I will definitely not do that again! It was more than twice the price, none of us could not taste any difference... other than it was extremely dry.

I generally buy the store brand frozen turkey and cook it in a Reynolds turkey bag. I've also had Butterball turkeys - I cannot tell the difference in taste. Good luck with whatever turkey you decide to purchase.
5/11/10-5/16/10; 12/17/11-12/23/11 - Pop Century
sharonmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:04 AM   #7
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

I think Butterballs are disgusting. They're pumped full of artificial gunk.

I usually go to my sister's and she's buys wildly expensive, fresh from the farm, organically raised, free-range, kissed on the lips and tucked into bed turkeys. They taste identical to the frozen $.39/lb birds.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:43 AM   #8
Swimalie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evi View Post
I disagree with the concept that a frozen bird will be as good as a fresh bird. Honestly the most important things are that the bird is fresh and hormone free. The fresher the bird the better it will be. I also highly recommend using a brine for your bird or buying one that has been sitting in a brine.
I agree. The best one we ever had was from New Season's Market in Oregon. I am still dreaming of how good that bird was. I only wish we still lived there.
Swimalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:44 AM   #9
lindsmom
DIS Veteran

Like Pigeon said, the fundamental difference is in the filler that is used on the less expensive turkeys. They are injected with filler (which is a nasty thing) to make the bird bigger, hence making it cost effective for the company to only charge 19 cents per pound etc.

That being said, I buy store brand - not the rock bottom one, but next one up. I am aware of the fillers etc, but I frankly just can't afford a top shelf bird, although I would love to. The differences in dryness etc are the result of the cooking process (let's face it, you're not starting with a dry bird), of which everyone has different theories.

Now I'm going to go look up brines, cause I've never done that. Hmmm....
Old 11-04-2010, 07:46 AM   #10
cruella4me64
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=Pigeon; I usually go to my sister's and she's buys wildly expensive, fresh from the farm, organically raised, free-range, kissed on the lips and tucked into bed turkeys. [/QUOTE]

Read this awhile ago and still chuckling over your description! Thanks!
cruella4me64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:51 AM   #11
Mama-san
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
I think Butterballs are disgusting. They're pumped full of artificial gunk.

I usually go to my sister's and she's buys wildly expensive, fresh from the farm, organically raised, free-range, kissed on the lips and tucked into bed turkeys. They taste identical to the frozen $.39/lb birds.
I love the visual this puts in my mind!

I'm sure I should doing the hormone free thing (don't even know that I've seen one around here - pretty sure the 23 lb.'er I got last week is NOT), but I buy whatever is cheapest and cook it in a baking bag. I've never noticed a difference between brands. Never done the brining thing, but all of my turkeys have been juicy and delicious regardless.
Mama-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:51 AM   #12
dennise
DIS Veteran

When do they usually start putting turkeys on sale for Thanksgiving? What is the ususal price?
Old 11-04-2010, 08:02 AM   #13
kalliyan1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
kalliyan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:12 AM   #14
Disneysun
Mouseketeer

The folks at Cooks Illustrated recommend a frozen Butterball. Since it is injected with a saline type of solution no brining is needed.
Disneysun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:28 AM   #15
marshallandcartersmo
DIS Veteran

what's brining??? Can you tell I'm new to the whole making a turkey thing (it's always been my moms job, but I'm sick of not having leftovers )
marshallandcartersmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: