Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #76
irishdancer86
DIS Veteran

3 mini life updates and more DHS with lunch at Sci-Fi

3 Mini Life Updates:

Me and DBF have booked our holiday next year for 2 weeks in July to Sharm el Sheikh, we are staing all inclusive and hope to visit the pyramids at Cairo and the Valley of the Kings at Luxor, as well as quadbiking in the deret, a crocodile and snake show and a day at the waterpark. Although I am sad that Disney is not in our immediate plans, I have to try and comprmise with DBF in that he wants to travel a bit more widely than I do!

I have started to listen to the dis unplugged podcasts and I love them! really makes the drive to work so much more enjoyable! and I have years of episodes to catch up on!

Has anyone read the millenium triolgy? I have just finished 'Girl with a Dragon Tatoo' and thought it was immense! would love to hear anyone's opinions!

and a Disney update:

as we left off we had used our fastpass for TSM! both times riding that day we had managed to skip part of the line by a CM looking for a 2!

I think after TSM we caught a showing of The Little Mermaid wich we both loved as it is a shared childhood favourite! and then DBF had a bit of a melt-down and so enters the trip-report title...

DBF: I'm hungry but I'm too heavy to eat...
Me: What? Your not heavy at all...
DBF: When's our ADR? Will it be burgers? I'm not eating burgers, I'm sick of burgers...
Me: You've been in America for 3 days and your sick of burgers???

So anyway, I discovered that DBF is really bizarrely fixated with eating halfway healthily and I am soooo not! so for the rest of the holiday it was the caesar salad vs the french fry

We just had time for one show before our meal at Sci-Fi, so we headed to the Motors show...

This was the photo I tried to catch the car in mid air...

By the time the show was over, me and DBF had both got some energy back and improved our moods from the food confrontation...I was happy to spot a nice photoshoot on our way out of the arena...

Me and the little girl I teach Irish dancing to...

We headed in and got a car for the 6 of us I knew there was the possibility of a table, but really wanted DBF to get the full experience by sitting in a covertible at the drive in!

You'll never guess what we both ordered...Cheeseburger and fries! DBF said sorry for being so grumpy earlier and that their wasn't anything else on the menu that really grabbed his attention!

I actually thought the food was delicious!!! Our server was pleasant, and tried to get a few good photo's of us and the atmosphere was great. Our freinds treated us to this meal which was very generous of them and we all left lunch in happy spirits again!
Old 01-06-2011, 08:07 PM   #77
Cat0727
I am used to crowds and yielding to others all the time

Wow, Sharm el Sheikh sounds like a fantastic holiday! I've always wanted to go to Egypt.

ooo you're gonna love The Girl Who Played With Fire. It was so good! I am waiting for the third book to become available at the library so I can read it. This past weekend my boyfriend and I got to watch the first two Millennium movies and I enjoyed them. They weren't as good as the books though but the acting was fantastic!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2011, 08:17 PM   #78
NikkiLovesWDW!
"Are you seeing an increase in lateral forces?" "Sure am!"

Going on vacation somewhere other than Disney!! Just kidding! That trip sounds so awesome!

I love the story behind your TR title. Funny how DBF suddenly decided he was going to be healthy. Are burgers not as common in Ireland? DH's favorite burger was "The Big Irish" from Bennigans...before they closed all their restaurants!

Can you believe I have NEVER seen Lights Motors Action? Don't think I ever will...no interest at all! I love the extremely bored kid sitting behind you in the picture of you and DBF!
Old 01-07-2011, 03:30 AM   #79
Stefy
Fantasising of our next DCL & WDW Trip

Yay for booking Sharm, you guys will have a blast just make sure you bring plenty of sunscreen as July is hoooooot

Great update, love the meaning behind the title

Looks like you had a great meal at Sci Fi and you caught the motor show too
Old 01-07-2011, 08:34 AM   #80
irishdancer86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0727 View Post
Wow, Sharm el Sheikh sounds like a fantastic holiday! I've always wanted to go to Egypt.

ooo you're gonna love The Girl Who Played With Fire. It was so good! I am waiting for the third book to become available at the library so I can read it. This past weekend my boyfriend and I got to watch the first two Millennium movies and I enjoyed them. They weren't as good as the books though but the acting was fantastic!
Egypt is more DBF's choice but I think I'll like it, I'm gonna try and get a bit of history background before we go so I can really enjoy the sightseeing

I'm about a third through 'The girl who played with fire' but I'm back to work now so can't get immeresed like I was able to over the holidays, best books I've read in ages though! so twisty!

I watched the first film and thought it was good but I agree, not a patch on the books!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiLovesWDW! View Post
Going on vacation somewhere other than Disney!! Just kidding! That trip sounds so awesome!

I love the story behind your TR title. Funny how DBF suddenly decided he was going to be healthy. Are burgers not as common in Ireland? DH's favorite burger was "The Big Irish" from Bennigans...before they closed all their restaurants!

Can you believe I have NEVER seen Lights Motors Action? Don't think I ever will...no interest at all! I love the extremely bored kid sitting behind you in the picture of you and DBF!
DBF'S has wide holiday horizons, whereas I feel my holiday horizons should include a castle on the skyline!

At home me and DBF only really eat dinner once a week together, and every night his mum makes him a pretty healthy dinner, they don't have a deep fat fryer but a lot of vegetables etc...Burgers are VERY common in Ireland, I just didn't understand DBF's eating habits until I was with him 24-7, normally I go wild on holiday and put on about a stone in weight, this year I came back a little lighter what with my travelling companion being the food police! lol he wasn't too bad but just liked a bit of salads mixed in among all my nuggets, pizza's, burgers and fries!

Noticed a few empty Bennigans locations around I Drive, what was on the Irish Burger? I'm guessing brie or scallions?!

That was my dad's first question when looking through the photo's...'who's your man?' it wasn't as boring as his expression is hinting! I enjoyed it but think once would be enough unless your a car fan?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefy View Post
Yay for booking Sharm, you guys will have a blast just make sure you bring plenty of sunscreen as July is hoooooot

Great update, love the meaning behind the title

Looks like you had a great meal at Sci Fi and you caught the motor show too
Have you been to Sharm Stefy or know anyone thats been, I'm pretty nervous about the heat!

Sci Fi was one of my favourite meals of the entire holidays...feel like its a time warp to the 'Grease' and 'Footloose' days. And the burger was so nice, I'd read a few reeviews that hadn't been too kind about sci fi so was pleasantly surprised!
Old 01-07-2011, 09:00 AM   #81
irishdancer86
DIS Veteran

Hollywood Studios: Part 3

We'd had a pretty busy day so far! and after our lovely meal at Sci Fi we were ready for more! We went straight to Star Tours, I think we had a fastpass as did our friends, and on the way over we saw a lady with a red t shirt and on the back it said 'Chase's grandmother', beside a guy who's t shirt said 'chase's uncle' there was a big group of them all with the description 'Chase's...' we ended up being on the same vehicle as them and my friend shouted
'Who's Chase' the whole vehicle laughed, I think everyone had benn thinking the same Q and Chase put up his hand, they were all there celebrating his graduation, I though that was pretty cool!!!

After Start Tours me and DBF toured the Walt Disney memorial/appreciation/history area (I've forgot the name, Walt's dream maybe?) and this area really fascinated DBF, and I was so happy to see him really getting into the details!

We then caught a show of Beauty and the Beast, amazing! and then went straight over to Indiana Jones...the trick comedy actor masquerading as one of the volunteers really made the show extra enjoyable for us...

We then used our last fastpass of the day for Rock n rollercoaster, love this ride so much! DBF had a bit of a love-fear relationship but enjoyed it much more the second time since he knew to expect the blast off feeling, he hadn't even realised there was a loop on the first ride he'd been so scared!

After this we met up with our friends and headed to the Fantismic arena, roughly one and a half hours beofre the show it was standing room only! After a long day, the wait and the crowds just didn't seem that appealing and although disappointed we couldn't take in the show I realised was no point pushing beyond everybody's endurance and enjoyment. So we headed back to International Drive to a TGI Fridays and enjoyed a lovely

It was actually a lovely evening to finish a long brilliant disney day, talking with friends and relaxing!

Up next: More disruption to my well laid plans!
Old 01-07-2011, 09:21 AM   #82
Stefy
Fantasising of our next DCL & WDW Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdancer86 View Post
[COLOR="Blue"] Have you been to Sharm Stefy or know anyone thats been, I'm pretty nervous about the heat!

Sci Fi was one of my favourite meals of the entire holidays...feel like its a time warp to the 'Grease' and 'Footloose' days. And the burger was so nice, I'd read a few reeviews that hadn't been too kind about sci fi so was pleasantly surprised!
I have never been myself but have had friends that went and loved it. She went in September last year for her birthday and it was quite hot in the high 30's. Are you not a big fan of the heat?

We went to Sci Fi on our first ever trip and had alot of fun. The food is pretty standard, but really its all about sitting in that car like you are at a drive in Its different

Lol to your friend yelling "Who's Chase", great that they were good sports about it too.

Its a shame you missed Fantasmic, but I am with you on not wanting to wait for standing room. We just say, next time But other than that looks like it was a perfect end to the evening and you achieved quite a bit at DHS

Looking forward to more popcorn:
Old 01-09-2011, 05:59 AM   #83
irishdancer86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefy View Post
I have never been myself but have had friends that went and loved it. She went in September last year for her birthday and it was quite hot in the high 30's. Are you not a big fan of the heat?

We went to Sci Fi on our first ever trip and had alot of fun. The food is pretty standard, but really its all about sitting in that car like you are at a drive in Its different

Lol to your friend yelling "Who's Chase", great that they were good sports about it too.

Its a shame you missed Fantasmic, but I am with you on not wanting to wait for standing room. We just say, next time But other than that looks like it was a perfect end to the evening and you achieved quite a bit at DHS

Looking forward to more popcorn:

I came back from Florida in July with just the hint of a tan...me and DBF didn't lie out in the sun and took advantage of air con areas when we could! I'm not great with the heat but hopefully will be ok by spending time in the shade and hopping in and out of the pool...

I had stayed for Fantasmic standing room on our last trip and it was pretty miserable, CM's were trying to hustle the crowds probably for health and safety reasons but weren't having much effect, although the show was fantastic getting bumped and your view blocked intermitted-ly the whole way through wasn't!

We did get a lot done at DHS, but would have liked another go on ToT, and would like to try the animation class next time!
Old 01-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #84
Swalphin
DIS Veteran

I will be honest and I had to google Sharm el Sheik, it looks really pretty and I am sure it will be lots of fun, what an adventure!
All inclusive is a great way to visit places, I am not a "traveler" I am a "tourist", I appreciate people who can back pack and do the off the beaten path thing, but I just can't!

Funny discovery your DBF likes to eat half way healthy, you made me laugh with that. It is vacation, be half way healthy at home

Luvin your report and I am just going to call you Nicole, each picture you post that is the first thing I think, Nicole Kidman.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:47 PM   #85
Cat0727
I am used to crowds and yielding to others all the time

Glad your DBF enjoys RnR now! I was so scared my first time anticpating the launch, but now I know what to expect I love it!

Wow, can't believe DHS was so crowded that an hour and a half before there was only standing room left for Fantasmic. The first two attempts we made to see Fantasmic we didn't have the best of luck, either, as it was raining. We did get to see it eventually, even though it took a couple of years!
Old 01-11-2011, 09:10 AM   #86
onescgirl
DIS Veteran

I love your trip title. Looks like you & you BF are getting to do all kinds of fun stuff besides just WDW.
I'm enjoying reading your TR!

2012 PTR In Progress: 2012 PTR ~ Skipping Skool for Free Dining!
Trip Report: Sept 2010 TR ~ ♥ Vacay with the Lovebugs ♥ ~ 2010 PTR: 2010 PTR ~ 'The Non-Catchy Title PTR'
Old 01-11-2011, 04:58 PM   #87
irishdancer86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swalphin View Post
I will be honest and I had to google Sharm el Sheik, it looks really pretty and I am sure it will be lots of fun, what an adventure!
All inclusive is a great way to visit places, I am not a "traveler" I am a "tourist", I appreciate people who can back pack and do the off the beaten path thing, but I just can't!

Funny discovery your DBF likes to eat half way healthy, you made me laugh with that. It is vacation, be half way healthy at home

Luvin your report and I am just going to call you Nicole, each picture you post that is the first thing I think, Nicole Kidman.
I am looking forward to Sharm el Sheikh, it will be good to see the Pyramids and all the cool historical stuff and there's a hard rock cafe and tgi fridays in Sharm so I'll be getting a little sneaky american fix kind of!

Although a pretty big tragedy has just happened in Northern Ireland, a girl from close to where we live was strangled on her honeymoon, she had just went back to her room for something, they think she disturbed burglars and was strangled...that was in Mauritius, she's a well known figure in our community and everyone is so shocked. And DBF says at no point does he want us separating on our holiday even for a moment! to us Egypt is so foreign but maybe we're just panic-ing a little, but America feels like such a safe holiday destination...

wow that was a long explanation! but we are definitely tourists too I think!

Thank you for the Nicole Kidman comparison, my Granda always said that when I was little and it used to make me so happy because Far and Away was my favourite film and I just thought Tom Cruise was amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0727 View Post
Glad your DBF enjoys RnR now! I was so scared my first time anticpating the launch, but now I know what to expect I love it!

Wow, can't believe DHS was so crowded that an hour and a half before there was only standing room left for Fantasmic. The first two attempts we made to see Fantasmic we didn't have the best of luck, either, as it was raining. We did get to see it eventually, even though it took a couple of years!
Fantasmic seems to be a tricky show to catch! but an excellent excuse for a repeat trip! I think next time if I was intending on staying right to fireworks I would maybe come a bit later to the parks and have more energy for that sort of wait, I think by that point we were pretty exhausted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onescgirl View Post
I love your trip title. Looks like you & you BF are getting to do all kinds of fun stuff besides just WDW.
I'm enjoying reading your TR!

Hi, glad your enjoying reading! We had a very packed 2 weeks! the only part I wasn't looking forward to was Kennedy Space Centre which was actually very enjoyable, and I had been worried I'd have to drag DBF round the shops and he turned out to love shopping in the US, and loved the bargains we could pick up compared to prices in Northern Ireland!
Old 01-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #88
irishdancer86
DIS Veteran

A change of plans: Shopping, a World Cup Match and Sea World

After Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios back to back the next day's plans started with us being at Sea World for opening...hmmm DBF was not loving all the super early starts and so the itinerary had to be adjusted! Shock horror!

So on Wednesday 7th July we had a lie in, enjoyed breakfast in the hotel and headed to Prime Outlets for some retail therapy...Aeropostale was our definite favourite store and we were able to get a lot of cool clothes for DBF and some for me too for excellent prices. After a few hours shopping we went to TGI Fridays and shared Potato Skins and watched a World Cup Match (DBF plays and is a big fan of soccer!)...

And eventually at around 3pm we arrived at Sea World...see ya schedule!

In front of Manta, new since my last visit, I was excited, BDF was terrified as we watched the rollercoaster 'rays' swoop by us!

After checking the schedule I was dsimayed to see that our late arrival had basically reduced our possible viewing schedule to one daytime show: I chose Shamu: Believe as I felt this would be the most impressive for DBF's visit to the park and vowed to return for the other shows...

Although we enjoyed the show the whole time DBF was waiting for a trainer to jump in the water , the most spectacular part of the show in my opinion (and due to understandable reasons), is now missing and so although we enjoyed it we were marginally undewhelmed! although I got a warm fuzzy feeling at the start when they ask any military men/women to stand up and get a round of applause

We then went on Kraken which was super thrilling! the line for the ride was also quite exciting as a row broke out between two guests re a kid cutting in on his return from the toilet and an angry dad was manhandled out by security, made the line up much more interesting!

We queued for a loooong time for Journey to Atlantis but thoroughly enjoyed it!

Next up was Terrors of the Deep, DBF loved the glass tunnel...

We headed over to Manta and got an ice lolly each, which occupied us for a while but the queue was probably an hour and a half......the express line just seemed to be an andless stream of people...and by the time we reached the loading station it was more or less totally dark! Our first ride on Manta and it was in the dark! Super scary! The ride tips you into a forward/half lying position which makes you feel very vulnerable or exposed maybe? anyway it was very good and I'm looking forward to riding it again in the light! DBF got talking to the guy beside us and they were screaming and yelling the whole ride and DBF said he was getting to like rollercoasters!

We watched the fireworks as we exited the park, they were very good and we managed to beat the crowds by watching the finish from the car park and made a speedy exit to our hotel where we enjoyed a Domino's pepperoni pizza before bed! A lovely day although totally different from what I'd planned...
Old 01-11-2011, 05:37 PM   #89
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Nice update! I've not been to Sea World since 1993 (!) so I can hardly remember it... scary to go off 'the plan' hehe .. but is sounded like it worked out great for you guys, and included shopping time, yay!

That's such sad news about the lady on her honeymoon in Mauritius, I read about it on the news today

Emma x
Old 01-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #90
loganpaulsmom
DIS Veteran

u have the best updates.. i am still enjoying reading everything... Your trip sounds so exciting.. I know what you mean about being disappointed with no trip to Disney.. But, once you find a vacation spot that you love its hard to differ from it especially when you only get maybe 1 or vacations a year..
My husband wanted us to make a plan to take a short 3 night vacation just to 2 of us, without our 5 year old.. HA.. I upgraded our trip to Disney to the Poly instead.. HAHA

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: