Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 10:54 AM   #76
themermaidgirl
Mouseketeer

The Walking Dead was so incredibly well-done. I remember when it was first announced they were going to do this show, I was incredibly skeptical, considering how much I loved the books.
Not to mentions the whole villian-supernatural fad going on (vampires, werewolves, zombies), I felt it would be about getting more people to watch rather than the story.

Boy was I proven wrong!

Taylor, born to be a Princess!

Tumblr
DL 1998, WDW Sept. 2008, DL Sept. 2010
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 03-15-2011, 11:02 AM   #77
Mrs. Darcy
DIS Veteran

I'm looking forward to the group meeting up with some more alive people. I love seeing how people deal with extreme situations. I wish the writers would have a character that can't accept what's happening, that keeps questioning it, that's in major grief, that's terrified and doesn't have it all together like the others do. It would make it a bit more realistic I think. Otherwise, I have no complaints about the show. I don't watch much TV but this has me hooked. Even the music is great.
Register to remove

Old 03-16-2011, 06:57 AM   #78
bicker
DIS Veteran

Folks should expect a significant change (which I suspect many viewers will decide to call a "drop in quality") as the show transforms from a mini-series into a long-running series. There are things that they can do (including expending resources in a certain way) for a mini-series that they shall not do for a long-running series.

Also, I have read that Season 2 will be much more gruesome. FWIW.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:58 AM   #79
BriarfoxinWA
DIS Veteran

When does the show start airing again?
Old 03-16-2011, 12:10 PM   #80
bicker
DIS Veteran

The Walking Dead was a fall series last year, so figure it'll be a fall series again this year.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:26 PM   #81
Mrs. Darcy
DIS Veteran

What does a "drop in quality" mean? Sorry, I'm not familiar with tv terms.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:47 PM   #82
bicker
DIS Veteran

What I said, was "which I suspect many viewers will decide to call a 'drop in quality'". So you'd have to ask the folks who decide to call those changes a 'drop in quality' what they mean. My point is simply that there will be natural changes that we can reasonably expect from a series that is going from a 6-episode mini-series into an open-ended long-running series, with a plan for a 13-episode second season but intentions for the story to continue for an indefinite period of time after that, and that some people will choose to ignore the realities of that conversion and summarily judge the show negatively for no actual reason other than that it changed from a mini-series into a long-running series.

Yes, I'm being rather pessimistic about the nature of the sentiments of some of the fans of the series, but I have good reason: I've seen it happen many times before - fans of a series failing to acknowledge the realities that must naturally have impact on the object of their affection. It's kind of like a married couple divorcing after a year or two because of irreconcilable differences, or some-such, when the reality is simply that one spouse grew as a person, and the other spouse became disillusioned that s/he was "no longer the person I married". Forrest Church taught us that everything changes (and ends), and that if there must be fault for disillusionment with change (there doesn't have to be fault, by the way), then the fault rests on those who don't accommodate for the possibility of change.

So be prepared for changes in The Walking Dead. Be prepared for it to become more like a long-running series rather than a very long movie. Cast and crew are probably making arrangements to adjust to living in Georgia a good part of the year, in hopes that they'll have several years of work there. The production team is probably trying to see how each set can be redressed to accommodate a need for a different set later in the season, rather than planning on building new sets for each remote. Heck, they're probably trying to write more of the action with fewer remotes. And so on.... And we viewers also would be well advised to make corresponding changes to our expectations.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:17 PM   #83
BriarfoxinWA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
The Walking Dead was a fall series last year, so figure it'll be a fall series again this year.
For some reason I thought that I had heard that they were going to air some new episodes this spring...
Old 03-17-2011, 09:18 AM   #84
bicker
DIS Veteran

I'm sure I would have heard about that if it was the case... I've been watching all my information sources very carefully for that series as much as any other.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:25 AM   #85
Mrs. Darcy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriarfoxinWA View Post
For some reason I thought that I had heard that they were going to air some new episodes this spring...

I heard that, too. I think it was from a walking dead message board but it was just a rumor that took flight. Too bad.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:39 PM   #86
WDWBarb
It was, in fact, *I* who was sounding like a loose fan belt
I need to put some distance between my coffee, my mouth and my monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
What I said, was "which I suspect many viewers will decide to call a 'drop in quality'". So you'd have to ask the folks who decide to call those changes a 'drop in quality' what they mean. My point is simply that there will be natural changes that we can reasonably expect from a series that is going from a 6-episode mini-series into an open-ended long-running series, with a plan for a 13-episode second season but intentions for the story to continue for an indefinite period of time after that, and that some people will choose to ignore the realities of that conversion and summarily judge the show negatively for no actual reason other than that it changed from a mini-series into a long-running series.

Yes, I'm being rather pessimistic about the nature of the sentiments of some of the fans of the series, but I have good reason: I've seen it happen many times before - fans of a series failing to acknowledge the realities that must naturally have impact on the object of their affection. It's kind of like a married couple divorcing after a year or two because of irreconcilable differences, or some-such, when the reality is simply that one spouse grew as a person, and the other spouse became disillusioned that s/he was "no longer the person I married". Forrest Church taught us that everything changes (and ends), and that if there must be fault for disillusionment with change (there doesn't have to be fault, by the way), then the fault rests on those who don't accommodate for the possibility of change.

So be prepared for changes in The Walking Dead. Be prepared for it to become more like a long-running series rather than a very long movie. Cast and crew are probably making arrangements to adjust to living in Georgia a good part of the year, in hopes that they'll have several years of work there. The production team is probably trying to see how each set can be redressed to accommodate a need for a different set later in the season, rather than planning on building new sets for each remote. Heck, they're probably trying to write more of the action with fewer remotes. And so on.... And we viewers also would be well advised to make corresponding changes to our expectations.
I think there will be more deviations from the graphic novels, but Kirkman is staying strongly involved so I have hope that it will be consistent (if not better).
Old 03-19-2011, 04:01 AM   #87
bicker
DIS Veteran

Hope is good, as long as it doesn't become expectation.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:28 AM   #88
WDWBarb
It was, in fact, *I* who was sounding like a loose fan belt
I need to put some distance between my coffee, my mouth and my monitor

DH told me last night that there is talk of Stephen King writing an ep for season 2.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:16 AM   #89
pat fan
I'm leaving now so I don't have to witness what comes next

I caught a few a couple episodes here and there, so went out and bought the DVD set. Great show! Now on to my questions...

If the zombie "poison" is in the blood, why aren't they all zombies since they are covered in it from killing them? I know they were so careful to not get it on them in Atlanta, but after the big attack on the hill, they all had it all over them. I haven't gotten to the last episode yet, so maybe it's explained, I don't know.

Can't wait to see what happens with Rick et al. You knew he was gonna find out sooner or later. Why has no one from the camp told him anyway? Are they all that blind that no one knew what was going on with Lori & Shane?

I'm glad to see the dad (whoever the actor is) that is with the son. I loved him in Jericho. He must have a "thing" for end of the world type shows!

"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been, never will be."
-- John Wayne
Old 10-09-2011, 07:15 AM   #90
Disney1fan2002
Like OMG the TF is SOO psyched to find like another Val fer sure! ;)
Please don't anyone report this thread, it has the potential to get real good
He just comes across as a pompous donkey

Bumping this up because season 2 starts next Sunday!!

I thought people could read through the thread and refresh their memory. Also, if you have comcast, OnDemand has the 1st season available.

I just watched the final episode of season 1, and now I want to know what the Dr. whispered to Rick.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: