Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #2446
PatsMom
Sometimes has Dory moments!
I have two brothers and either of them would have been proud to be suspended for stinking up the bus

Thanks to all of those who took time to comment for me. Most seemed to validate that it is likely not an appropriate show for a five year old. Its a sad situation but this could eventually become a legal thing with my husband's ex wife. She is determined that she is going to "fix" the nightmares, etc by removing the boy from his mother's custody if necessary. And the TV she allows him to watch is apt to become part of the case. I watch Sons of Anarchy so I already knew that one wasn't something I thought appropriate for a 5 year old. And even if the shows were OK, they are on awfuly late for a school night for a five year old. But he won't go to bed until she does so she lets him stay up late.

Truly shaping into a no-win situation.
September 1996 - Fort Wilderness (DD and DH's first trip) October 1999 - Fort Wilderness November 2001 - Fort Wilderness November 2004 - Fort Wilderness November 2005 - Saratoga Springs December 2006 - Saratoga Springs February 2007 - All Star Sports August 2007 - Boardwalk Villas November 2007 - Saratoga Springs February 2008 - Villas at the Wilderness Lodge August 2008 - Old Key West
December 2008 - Saratoga Springs February 2009 - Beach Club Villas September 2009 (50th birthday trip) - Bay Lake Tower January 2010 - Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani Village) May 2010 - Old Key West September 2010 - Bay Lake Tower May 2011 - Beach Club Villas October 2011 - Saratoga Springs January 2012 - Old Key West May 2012 - Old Key West October 2012 - Old Key West January 2013 - Family gathering at Old Key West; May 2013 - Wilderness Lodge Villas; November 2013 - AKL Jambo House; February 2014 - Saratoga Springs
Old 04-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #2447
elgerber
Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet & see a movie alone
Likes to grill year round

I don't think it's appropriate for any child. Heck, my dd didn't start watching until recently, and she is 17. It's not the zombies, it's easy enough to explain the reality versus fantasy to many kids. It's the adult themes I have much more of a problem with. The sex, the many confrontations with Shane/Lori, specfically at the CDC, a child being forced to shoot his own mother, Carol watching people shoot her daughter, who is now a walker. Those things are way too emotionally mature for children in my opinion.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #2448
JenM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf View Post
I know what you mean. Thankfully though Game Of Thrones started back up for the season the same night of The Walking Dead finale.
Yep. And Mad Men is back, which is my other AMC obsession.

Although it's not quite as exciting. Since I read all of the Game of Thrones books, I basically know what's coming (even though they change stuff up a bit), and I can watch Mad Men without worrying about anyone being attacked by reanimated corpses, which isn't nearly as much fun.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #2449
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

My other late winter/early spring Sunday night show, Californication, had its season finale last night so it will be a long 9 months until it returns. Dexter and True Blood return in 2 months, though, so I'm excited about both of those shows!

Personally, I cannot wait for the final 8 episodes of Breaking Bad, which start on AMC (in the TWD/Mad Men time slot) in 3 months, thank heavens! It took me 4 years to discover this show, and now I'm so upset that the story is coming to an end. I had heard good things about it for a while, so I finally decided to tune in for the first time ever early last year, when AMC was running the entire series in the wee hours for a couple of months.

At first - and this usually happens to me with most shows I start watching after everyone else has been watching them - I was kind of bored with the Breaking Bad episode I saw (from Season 1) so I didn't get immediately hooked. The series premiere is not the best episode by a long shot.

But I decided to give Breaking Bad another chance (again, this what I usually do with most shows that I am late to discover), and I picked some random episodes from Seasons 2 or 3 to watch to see if the series got better at some point. I knew that if future episodes hooked me in there was something good coming up and I could go back to watching all of Season 1 with that knowledge (to get caught up). And now I'm totally hooked!!

For anyone who thinks BrBa a boring, talkative show because they happened to tune into an episode where not much action took place, I can promise you that you will see some action and violence (though not as often as the violence occurs on TWD because TWD is the most violent, graphic TV show I've ever seen!)......... There are bodies dissolved in acid, which is not pretty. There's the severed head riding on a turtle. There's the very brutal throat slitting. There is a face that is blown off. There is a man with amputated legs crawling on a floor. There is a stunning scene in which multiple men in different locations get killed at one time, in various ways. There are, of course, random shootings, beatings, poisonings, etc. There are a couple of very creepy, scary brothers walking around with a scythe. There's a great villain. OH! And there is a very menacing ATM machine!

I cannot stand the 3-month wait until Breaking Bad comes back for its final 8 shows. I hate that the writers decided to end the show after only 5 seasons, and yet I totally see why it's necessary (the main character cannot go on living the way he has been living, so he has to die). The only good thing for me about knowing that BrBa is going to end is that when it does (probably in late August or early September), The Walking Dead will be on soon after! I won't have to wait long after BrBa ends for TWD to start (and American Horror Story too!)!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 04-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #2450
LittleMissMagic
Victoria on Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLassell View Post
I'm going to do the RUN FOR YOUR LIVES race and he keeps saying he wants to go *lol* But you have to be 14+.
See, I'm afraid to do a zombie race because I'm worried that I might freak out and start punching one or something... I take The Walking Dead wayyyy too seriously!

1991-2004 AP holders | 2000 Disney Magic 4-Day Bahamas | 2005 Disneyland | 2006 Swan New Year's | 2008 AllStar Movies with HS Marching Band
2008 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2009 Bay Lake Tower Labor Day | 2010 Wilderness Lodge New Year's | 2010 AllStar Music with HS Marching Band
2010 Polynesian Graduation Celebration | 2011 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2012 Polynesian Spring Break | 2012 Beach Club Graduation Celebration
2012 Saratoga Springs Food & Wine | 2013 Disneyland Paris Sequoia Lodge | 2013 Beach Club Resort Food & Wine
2013/2014 New Year's Eve Waldorf Astoria | 2014 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise

Old 04-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #2451
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLassell View Post
My 9 year old son LOVES the show and we watch it every week. He isn't scared of it. We watch all the behind the scenes stuff together too. I'm going to do the RUN FOR YOUR LIVES race and he keeps saying he wants to go *lol* But you have to be 14+.
If he really wants to, look around by Googling "Zombie Run" + your state or city. I was able to find a couple that my 11yo and I can do together, even though the biggies like Run For Your Lives have the minimum age requirement. DD and I will be running from zombies in May and again in August.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #2452
skylizard
DIS Veteran

Just came across this on the TWD blog. Very cool!

Executive Producer and Writer Robert Kirkman Answers Fan Questions - Part I

In Part 1 of Robert Kirkman's fan chat, The Walking Dead Executive Producer and Writer talks about killing off characters and the eerie similarities between The Walking Dead and a kid's movie. Click here to read Part 2 of the of the interview.

Q: What was the reasoning behind having Laurie Holden's character killed in the Season 3 Finale? --Cancerdog

A: We were really working on the Woodbury arc, and it sort of played out that it made sense. The only thing that would make Rick accept the remainder of Woodbury would be something as tragic as seeing Andrea lose her life. The unfortunate thing about all these deaths is that right now the audience is saying, "Oh my God, why did you kill Andrea?" We understand that's an emotional thing -- it's supposed to be -- but there's a lot of stuff in Season 4 that comes from that moment. Once the viewer sees the next season, they'll know why we did it.

Q: How do you let the actors know their number is up? And do they get any say on the amount of blood spilled? --Ani Munoz

A: They get as much input into their death scene as any actor does in any scene. It's a back and forth, and there are a lot of discussions that go between writers and directors and actors. As far as when they find out that they're dying, usually it's a call before the script comes out. It's very late in the process. We try to be really mindful of the actor's process -- we don't want an actor to play a scene differently because they know they're going to die.

Q: With Rick bringing more people back to the prison, will this is some way complicate his relationship with Carl? --Diana M Sawyer

A: We'll have to find out in Season 4, but I will say that the dynamic between Rick and Carl is going to be a central focus of the season, and it is going to change in some startling and interesting ways.

Q: Can the group survive if something happens to Rick? --Jamal Montgomery

A: Yes, absolutely. We've been saying that no one is safe on this show, and I wouldn't rule out seeing the death of Rick Grimes at almost any point. We really like to keep people guessing, and I could definitely see some interesting stories coming from that. While Rick has been a pretty solid leader, he's definitely made his share of mistakes. I think seeing Daryl or Maggie or Glenn picking up a larger leadership role in the group could pose some interesting story possibilities.

VIDEO: Inside The Walking Dead Season 3 Finale, "Welcome to the Tombs"

Q: Can you talk more about the casting process for the show? --Always Walking Dead

A: We work with our casting agent and go over a wide range of people and tons of footage. A lot of people remark on how similar our cast is to characters in the comic book series, and it is kind of a strange coincidence that as we're looking for the best actors for the role, sometimes we'll come upon someone who looks unusually like the way they've been drawn in the comic book.

Q: Robert, will we see Morgan again? --TonyinKC

A: Well, all I can really say is that the guy's not dead, and Rick definitely knows where he is. The door is always open for an eventual return of Morgan. When or how that will happen will have to remain a mystery for now, but I think it's definitely a possibility.

Q: There's recently been a meme comparing The Walking Dead to Toy Story. Be honest: how much did Toy Story inspire your work? --Moot_Lagoon

A: It's hilarious. There are definitely some eerie similarities. Toy Story is a fantastic piece of work, and it's flattering to be compared to it in any way, but I will say that I think some of the similarities are a little bit stretched. I've definitely seen all three [Toy Story movies] and there's a good bit of emotion from seeing anthropomorphic toys and their relationship to the kids they belong to, but I don't think there's any kind of inspiration drawn from that in The Walking Dead.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #2453
skylizard
DIS Veteran

And part 2:

Executive Producer and Writer Robert Kirkman Answers Fan Questions - Part II

In Part 2 of his fan chat, The Walking Dead Executive Producer and Writer Robert Kirkman talks about the possibility of Daryl finding romance in Season 4 and shares his thoughts on living life as a zombie.

Q: Can you shed any light into how the Governor's story will continue...or close in Season 4? --Jeffrey Hawboldt

A: I can say the Governor will certainly be around. But we'll be seeing him in a new light, and doing some different stuff with him, so it's not going to be the same Governor in Season 4.

Q: I find it hard to believe the most badass dude in the zombie apocalypse is the only guy not getting laid! Will Daryl ever have a love interest? --Johnny Zimmerman

A: Never say never! I think that it could happen eventually. I wouldn't want to spoil anything, but Daryl is a complex character and he's really got a lot of emotional hurdles to get over in his life. It is kind of odd that we haven't seen him in that kind of romantic light, but I think that adds a layer to the character that makes him a little more mysterious and a little cooler. But I wouldn't rule out some kind of love interest for him in the future.

Q: At this juncture, the TV show has veered away from the graphic novel series. If you had to choose one of the two universes, which would you say is your favorite? --therunningdead

A: Well, I'm a little biased because I've been writing the comics for a decade, but I consider that to be the original. The comic book is where it all came from, so I consider the TV show to be an alternate to what happens in the comics.

Q: How do you decide what information from the comics to keep the same, and what to change? --Erica Britt

A: Well that's a long process involving all the writers, the showrunner, everybody. It's really a matter of sitting down at the beginning of the season and working out what happened in the comics and when and how and why, and seeing if it plugs into our world. It's a pretty organic thing. Also [it's a chance] to set up things and do comic book moments in ways that I didn't really do when I was writing the comics -- with the benefit of hindsight.

VIDEO: A Look Ahead at The Walking Dead Season 4

Q: Are there any story lines you explored in the TV series that you've considered for the comic? -- Dani

A: An example is that really great exchange between Hershel and Glenn, where Hershel talks about how you never know who's the right guy for your daughter until you meet the right guy. It's really a poignant thing that [Producer] Angela Kang wrote. I never had a moment like that between Glenn and Hershel, and that kind of thing would be nice. But the way these things work, I'm writing issues where -- spoiler alert -- Glenn and Hershel are dead. So it doesn't really translate well, unfortunately. It would be nice to mine the great work of these fantastic writers on the show and make my job easier.

Q: When Merle is attracting the walkers to his car to take out the Governor, the first one to approach looks exactly like the iconic zombie from Dawn of the Dead, 1978. Was this a nod to that film? --radio118

A: It was a nod to that walker from Dawn of the Dead -- and we had to do it twice. Greg Nicotero is a George Romero alum, and he wanted to do a little nod to Romero, so he made up that walker and put it in a scene. But that scene ended up getting cut, so he did it again to make sure it made it in the show.

Q: Do you ever wish you were a walker? --Amanda Calvert Simpson

A: No, never! Being a walker would be terrible. You smell bad, you're falling apart, and I'm sure it's really uncomfortable. But even just from a practical real-world standpoint, those guys are covered in latex and sticky paint and fake blood, and it's hot in Georgia. I have a tremendous amount of respect for anybody who plays a walker on our show, because it is an extremely difficult job that I will never do because I'm lazy and I don't like being uncomfortable.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #2454
nathalee81
DIS Veteran

Finally got to watch the season finale last night!

Wasn't that shocked about Andrea-I kind of figured it was going that way and it makes a lot of sense as far as the story goes.

I'm sorry if I missed it in the thread, but did anyone hear that phone call on The Talking Dead? That was really weird-gave me a little chill...
Old 04-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #2455
micknpluto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathalee81 View Post
Finally got to watch the season finale last night!

Wasn't that shocked about Andrea-I kind of figured it was going that way and it makes a lot of sense as far as the story goes.

I'm sorry if I missed it in the thread, but did anyone hear that phone call on The Talking Dead? That was really weird-gave me a little chill...
Yes. I heard it. That was funny !! LoL
Old 04-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #2456
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Interesting answers...
I will have to mention to DH what Kirkman said about Rick surviving. DH keeps telling me that this whole thing is Rick's story so there's no way he'll be killed off. I guess we'll see.

8/2000 WDW Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 WDW Poly, 02/2008 WDW AKL, 2/2010 WDW CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 WDW AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 91 out of 85 GOAL MET!!
Old 04-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #2457
skylizard
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemofans View Post
Interesting answers...
I will have to mention to DH what Kirkman said about Rick surviving. DH keeps telling me that this whole thing is Rick's story so there's no way he'll be killed off. I guess we'll see.
I'd be pretty peeved if they killed Rick off. He started the show and he should end it.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #2458
scoutie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
seemed to validate that it is likely not an appropriate show for a five year old. Its a sad situation but this could eventually become a legal thing with my husband's ex wife.
It isn't appropriate and I'm really surprised that some people think it's ok.

I've noticed that I'VE become desensitized to the violence while watching the last two years. Many of the actors of TWD with kids say THEY don't let their kids watch the show. I think kids are exposed to way too much violence and this definitely has an effect on them. It's worriesome to me.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #2459
skylizard
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutie View Post

I've noticed that I'VE become desensitized to the violence while watching the last two years. Many of the actors of TWD with kids say THEY don't let their kids watch the show. I think kids are exposed to way too much violence and this definitely has an effect on them. It's worriesome to me.

I agree. The first season of TWD, I cringed at all the violent scenes and some I couldn't even watch. By the third season it didn't bother me in the least. I've obviously become desensitized to it. It's amazing the amount of violence that we are exposed to and yet as a society we are becoming quite desensitized to it all.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #2460
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutie View Post

scoutie -

I have to agree. I'm really surprised that some folks think it's okay for a very young child to watch TWD. As I mentioned in my earlier post, if ever there were going to be a list compiled of TV shows that kids should not watch, TWD should certainly be on that list - if not at the very top of the list (in my opinion)! The violence is extreme and intense; bloody; gory; extensive; gruesome; frequent; etc. I can't think of a show I would want my child (if I had one) to watch less than this one!

Let's face it - TWD is more gruesome and violent than a lot of horror movies are (though not all of them - some movies are just waaaaayyyyy over the top), and certainly more gruesome than most TV shows.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I don't have kids. So I was hesitant to post an opinion because I didn't want everyone thinking, "What does she know? She doesn't have kids!"

To a large degree, I have become very desensitized to the violence on TWD - that is the only way I can get through the shows. I mentioned that I thought Milton's vicious stabbing was "tame" - but I meant tame in comparison to what we would normally see on TWD! I have always been a very squeamish person - all my friends know that I would never actually pay to see a slasher movie because I simply do not like gore! I never have. (I still won't watch any of the "Hostel" movies.) So it is a sheer miracle that I have been able to desensitize myself enough while watching TWD to be able to enjoy the story.

There are times when I still have to look away or cover my eyes. Maybe it's the mood I'm in that dictates when I am more squeamish than other times. Sometimes, if a violent scene is too close-up or too prolonged, I cringe and have to look away. I had to look away when Hershel's leg was amputated on TWD, for example. Sometimes I have to look away while watching Breaking Bad, too - I still can't quite deal with the throat-slitting scene and some of the other random bloody scenes. But, I love BrBa and I love TWD, nonetheless - not because of the blood and gore (which is, I suspect, why many fans love TWD) but in spite of it!!

ETA: I would be shocked if they got rid of Rick, as his character is so central to the whole series. But, if they do I will understand the impact of and necessity for a 'Rick death.' I will shed buckets of tears (like I did when poor Dale was killed) and I will be glad that the writers gave me a scene to move me like that - something that I actually care enough about to shed tears over!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014

Last edited by Sherry E; 04-10-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: