Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #2431
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsMom View Post
Just curious about this show. My stepdaughter tells me it is my five year old grandson's favorite thing to watch. Reading this threat I can't find anything that makes me think this is appropriate for a five year old. Am I way off base? She says he knows it is fake and its OK but I also know that he doesn't sleep well. He watches lots of other violent TV and movies too - waiting anxiously for Jurassic Park 3D for example.

What do those of you familiar with The Walking Dead think of a five year old loving it?
Honestly, it surprises me that he's interested. My almost-5yo has wandered in while we're watching a time or two and I'm not one to rush to flip the channel, but she hasn't shown even a glimmer of interest - she sits down to play with her dollhouse, which is out of sight of the TV, or hides in her cardboard playhouse to try to avoid being sent back to bed. I would think that pretty much everything other than the zombie killing, which is a smaller and smaller part of the show every season, would be so far beyond a 5yo's understanding that he'd get bored with it.

I'm pretty liberal with what I let my kids watch. My 11yo is very into TWD and watches with us every week, and I wouldn't think anything of a 5yo going to see Jurassic Park. But I wouldn't be comfortable with a kid that age watching TWD. To me, the difference is in how the violence is done - I don't have issue with nature/animal violence, like in Jurassic Park. I also don't worry much about shielding my kids from pure fantasy violence, like the battles in Lord of the Rings for example. But too much of TWD is violence towards humans - zombies eating them alive and now them killing each other in the prison season - and while the subject matter isn't real the entire show is written in such a way as to make it very convincing/realistic unlike many horror (and esp. zombie horror) stories.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Old 04-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #2432
micknpluto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharityLynn View Post

My husband and I are going to C2E2 and you can get a photo and autograph with the Walking Dead three (Andrea, Tyreese, Carl) for $40 each. But that is standing in 3 separate lines.
The Dixon brothers will be appearing in Philly next month. Andrea will be in NYC in June. I would have to get more details as far as what you get with admission. I don't care as much for the things they give u with VIP. I just want a chance to get an autograph and picture. I think it's "guaranteed " with a VIP pass but with just admission you might have to wait in line with no guarantee of seeing them?

As far as the kids watching TWD. My 10 year old nephew watches it faithfully my sister lets him but she won't let him read the comic books. She says its too sexual. I don't know anything about the comic books.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #2433
TruBlu
I was very excited to see how yummy it looks!
You can do what we do and go to BOTH!
I could have been contender.... instead, I'm just itchy

Wow. I have boys 11 & 13 and I DVR it & watch after they are asleep. I don't understand why a parent would want their child to see such things at 5 years old. There were YEARS where the only thing on our TV was Disney channel or Cartoon Network... It sucked for us, but our kids never have nightmares & aren't afraid to be home alone (which I still don't really let them do) or enter a dark room... Guess it paid off.

Sent from Tracey's iPhone using DISBoards

"Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate." -Captain Jack Sparrow

Old 04-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #2434
JenM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
Honestly, it surprises me that he's interested. My almost-5yo has wandered in while we're watching a time or two and I'm not one to rush to flip the channel, but she hasn't shown even a glimmer of interest - she sits down to play with her dollhouse, which is out of sight of the TV, or hides in her cardboard playhouse to try to avoid being sent back to bed. I would think that pretty much everything other than the zombie killing, which is a smaller and smaller part of the show every season, would be so far beyond a 5yo's understanding that he'd get bored with it.
My nephew is 5 now, and he's absolutely not allowed to watch it. But last year, when he was 4, his parents were catching up on Talking Dead on their DVR with him playing in the room, thinking it would be OK...then they showed a clip of a zombie getting his head blown off or something. Oddly enough, my nephew burst out laughing when he saw it.

He's a little older now, and no...they don't let him watch it. Talking Dead doesn't go on in front of him anymore now either.

Has anyone ever seen the interview with Andrew Lincoln on David Letterman where talks about having his four-year-old daughter on the set? It's at the end of the interview, but it's really funny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4sTz-BdcoU
Old 04-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #2435
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

I don't have any kids, but I would think that if someone were to compile a list of all the TV shows that a young child should not be watching...The Walking Dead would surely be on that list, if not at the top of the list!

If TWD is not a show that parents should prohibit their very young children from watching, then what on earth would be prohibited? I don't think I've ever seen a TV show quite this brutal, although watching it over time makes me a bit desensitized. (In fact, when Milton was viciously stabbed last week I was thinking, "Oh, that was pretty tame.")

The violence in this show is noteworthy. Even though we - the loyal, regular (and possibly jaded) viewers - may think that the killings are becoming less frequent, to the casual or brand new viewer this is a very, very violent show. There are decapitations (regularly). There are graphic, brutal, extremely gory scenes of zombies eating flesh and entrails and anything else they can get their teeth in. There was a leg amputation. There are constant perilous scenarios presented, and people screaming in agony as they die. There was a severed hand. Chomped-off fingers. All kinds of shootings to zombies' heads. Cars smashing zombie heads while driving over them. Blood and guts splattered all over pavement. I mean, I could go on and on.

I mean, this is - in my opinion - not anything that very young children should watch. Yes, some kids are more mentally mature than others and can handle certain things, but I just wouldn't even want to expose an extremely young child to these visuals.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 04-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #2436
zokaluse
Mouseketeer

There is no way twd is suitable for a 5 year old, very violent, gory, adult orientated.
My 12 year old wouldn't even be allowed to watch it ... Maybe when he's like 15 or so ... Maybe! I think it would be an 15 if a film or possibly an 18 as it is very graphic in its violence.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #2437
Holly
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile.
Drops not so subtle hints to the Tag Fairy that she likes green!

I think it's terrible that someone is letting their five year old watch.

It's a disturbing show in so many ways. The violence is so graphic and there are heinous killings in every single episode. When it's not violent, the adult themes are always dark and totally inappropriate for a child.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #2438
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

i feel so lost.

last week was the finale to WD and i didn't know what to do with myself this evening at 8:00............

as much as i love summer, i want the next 5 months to zoom by to october.

i can't wait for the next season to start up..

Old 04-08-2013, 04:38 AM   #2439
LittleMissMagic
Victoria on Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by macraven View Post
i feel so lost.

last week was the finale to WD and i didn't know what to do with myself this evening at 8:00............

Haha, I'm with you! I feel like I have nothing to look forward to weekly, anymore!

1991-2004 AP holders | 2000 Disney Magic 4-Day Bahamas | 2005 Disneyland | 2006 Swan New Year's | 2008 AllStar Movies with HS Marching Band
2008 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2009 Bay Lake Tower Labor Day | 2010 Wilderness Lodge New Year's | 2010 AllStar Music with HS Marching Band
2010 Polynesian Graduation Celebration | 2011 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2012 Polynesian Spring Break | 2012 Beach Club Graduation Celebration
2012 Saratoga Springs Food & Wine | 2013 Disneyland Paris Sequoia Lodge | 2013 Beach Club Resort Food & Wine
2013/2014 New Year's Eve Waldorf Astoria | 2014 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise

Old 04-08-2013, 07:34 AM   #2440
It'sWDW4me
Fairly new... still gets a tag :)
HOLD THE PHONE!
I think it's easier to reason with a CHIMPANZEE than to reason with a tween/early teen!

My Sunday nights were: The Amazing Race; The Walking Dead; The Talking Dead; The Walking Dead replay (if I'm still awake enough by that point )

NONE of my shows were on last night. None.

WDW Commando Member #120

Me; DS (18); Bear (7); Cosmo (7? He's a stray who found his home with us)

No more tickers for a very long while.

March 1986 - offsite; March 2002 - offsite; August 2006 - POP; August 2007 - OKW (free upgrade from ASMo!); August 2008 - POR; August 2010 - CBR ; August 2012 - DCL's Fantasy ; July 2013 - POP & 1st solo trip!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #2441
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Have you guys seen The Nerdist on BBC? I didn't know this existed & a few days ago (can't remember which day), it was on. The same host of The Talking Dead hosts this (Chris Hardwick) & they were talking about TWD w/Robert Kirkman & Michael Rooker (Merle) on it. I don't know if this show is always about TWD or they talk about other shows as well.
Even though this epi was first aired a couple days ago, they were behind in the TWD episodes b/c they didn't say anything about Merle's death.

I've been BOO'd!!

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 58 out of 85
Old 04-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #2442
skylizard
DIS Veteran

I can't imagine any parent letting their child watch TWD! The show would've scared the bejeezus out of me when I was a kid.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #2443
HeatherLassell
Queen of the PTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylizard View Post
I can't imagine any parent letting their child watch TWD! The show would've scared the bejeezus out of me when I was a kid.
Well I guess it depends on the individual child and the parent. Like all parenting decisions.

My 9 year old son LOVES the show and we watch it every week. He isn't scared of it. We watch all the behind the scenes stuff together too. I'm going to do the RUN FOR YOUR LIVES race and he keeps saying he wants to go *lol* But you have to be 14+.

My 5 year old daughter? I wouldn't let her watch cause she is a big scaredy cat and would have nightmares. If she comes in the room I say "zombies!" and she doesn't look at the tv.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #2444
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macraven View Post
i feel so lost.

I know what you mean. Thankfully though Game Of Thrones started back up for the season the same night of The Walking Dead finale.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #2445
jenny105
DIS Veteran

It felt weird to not have it on last night but I have OUAT, Revenge, and Mob Wives (sorry I'm not sorry I love it lol) to keep me busy.

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: