Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2010, 09:34 PM   #106
kyl
DIS Veteran

Your photos are beautiful princessinoz, I am enjoying your TR. You did do a lot for the time you had there. How special to meet your friend from the disboards. Its amazing how disney can make the castle look so different by using lights and special effects.
WDW Art of Animation resort Nov 2012
WDW SSR one bedroom villa 2012
WDW Coronado Springs Resort Sept/Oct 2010
Disneyland Hotel Oct 2010
Disneyland Grand Californian Resort June 2009
(Me DW) (DH)(DD13) :
(DD9) (DS5)
Old 11-10-2010, 11:54 PM   #107
hjd0411
DIS Veteran

Those firework shots are good! And no tripod! I lugged my tripod around for my firwork shots in May - and as happy as I was, I wish I could have bought a smaller tripod!! Oh well, maybe next time (hoping for a next time, of course! )
Keep those photos coming!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-11-2010, 12:02 AM   #108
DisneyFirefly
I wind up insanely itchy and liable to break skin
I'm definitely a walking information desk when it comes to MK

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjd0411 View Post
Those firework shots are good! And no tripod! I lugged my tripod around for my firwork shots in May - and as happy as I was, I wish I could have bought a smaller tripod!! Oh well, maybe next time (hoping for a next time, of course! )
Have you heard of this?

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics...tography/82db/

It's a small, flexible tripod that you can mount onto ANYTHING. They have a DSLR model and a standard point and shoot model. Obviously, camera not included

Follow The Bouncing Ears 10/10 TR/PTR | 10/10 Pop 2008-09 CM 11/06 Offsite 2004-05 CP/First Visit
Me DBF
Old 11-11-2010, 11:33 AM   #109
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Hey, Just thought I'd mention we met HeatherBelle and her DH on the bus the day before that! Walt was right - it IS a small world after all.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
Old 11-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #110
HeatherBelle614
Always wishing on a star!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
Hey, Just thought I'd mention we met HeatherBelle and her DH on the bus the day before that! Walt was right - it IS a small world after all.
Not to hijack...

But, ohmygosh! It is a small world; hiiii!!!!

Working on a fantastic dream now; new ticker to come soon!
Old 11-11-2010, 02:30 PM   #111
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Originally Posted by shushh View Post
Sigh...that's what you get for being an obsessive compulsive Disney planner! Your photos still turned out very well considering no tripod was involved. Even the villains show didn't have the performers all blurred as you would expect with motion and slow shutter speeds. Did you do everything with your 50mm?
All night shots and inside rides shots were taken with my 50mm. I really wished I had a zoom with a wider angle for the night shots.
I also checked the EXIF for the Villains show. Turns out that all the shots were taken at a speed > 1/50 sec. Someone on the photography board suggested that the general rule was to set the speed to 1/n of the focal length. Looks like the rule works a treat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFirefly View Post
Your fireworks shots are just gorgeous!
Thanks. Parade ones are coming right up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyl View Post
Your photos are beautiful princessinoz, I am enjoying your TR. You did do a lot for the time you had there. How special to meet your friend from the disboards. Its amazing how disney can make the castle look so different by using lights and special effects.
I really enjoy doing DisMeets. This is the 3rd time I've met Dis-ers in two trips.

Quote:
It's about the only thing that is wrong about this hobby - carrying all the gear .

Quote:
Have you heard of this?

It's a small, flexible tripod that you can mount onto ANYTHING. They have a DSLR model and a standard point and shoot model. Obviously, camera not included
These are great for P&S models. I looked at the gorillapod capable of supporting the dSLR model before I left. Have you seen the size of it? It's effectively the YETI sized model. Weighs a ton, is bigger than my current tripod and the pods are really hard to move around because they are so big!
It's a shame....because I really like the concept of being able to wrap the tripod around anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherBelle614 View Post
Not to hijack...

But, ohmygosh! It is a small world; hiiii!!!!
OMG!! Really small world and less than 6 degrees of separation!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
Old 11-11-2010, 02:41 PM   #112
PrincessInOz
in

MK, DisMeet, MNSSHP: Update 5 – My first MNSSHP parade

After the Villains show, I headed back to where Firefly, Heather and her DH were and settled down for the late parade. Even more than for HalloWishes, I was very happy with the spot that Heather had staked out…..right in the hub and with full view of the parade coming around the corner with the castle in the back.

This was one parade I was looking forward to and I was determined to try and capture some semi-reasonable shots of the Headless Horseman. And I knew I would only have a very short opportunity to get a shot in. Being in view of the curve meant that I could get more than one shot of the Horseman.

In the end, I managed to get 3 shots in and here are the ones I got.

Plus this spot meant that if I wanted to, I could take a shot of the parade coming around the corner and then try to get a picture of the parade with that gorgeously lit castle in the background. Here are the ones of the parade.

I tried hard to shoot Wendy and/or Peter Pan looking at the camera but somehow they both always looked the other way.

But that crocodile just kept staring in my direction....I thought he was a bit creepy around the eyes.

I kept missing shots of the gravediggers. Gonna have to try better for the next party.

I loved the costuming of the Haunted Mansion dancers.

But I never worked out why we have Cowboys?? Can someone enlighten me?

Clara Cluck was a feature on Firefly's PTR; so I had to take this shot.

My favourite group!

More Villains.

Candy from Goofy!

I certainly enjoyed the parade. The music for this parade is particularly bouncy and it was a lot of fun. I can’t believe WDW only offer it during one time of year only – but then I’m not a Marketer! And that's why we ALL keep coming back for more!

Up Next: Trick or Treat late at night

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 11-11-2010, 06:07 PM   #113
Jade+3
DIS Veteran

Great pictures. I hope my kids are not scared at MNSSHP. What ISO setting did you use? Photographing a parade at night is not something I will be able to practice before we go!
Carnival Imagination - September 2011
Freedom of the Seas - September 2013
Old 11-11-2010, 09:36 PM   #114
hjd0411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Have you heard of this?

I have seen those, and I nearly bought one of those, too!! I think that I will soon, as it looks much easier to use and carry. Oh, and why no camera included...!!!!! I'll have to check out the prices. Thanks for the info.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:44 PM   #115
DisneyFirefly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
These are great for P&S models. I looked at the gorillapod capable of supporting the dSLR model before I left. Have you seen the size of it? It's effectively the YETI sized model. Weighs a ton, is bigger than my current tripod and the pods are really hard to move around because they are so big!
It's a shame....because I really like the concept of being able to wrap the tripod around anything.
Ah, okay I wasn't sure about the DSLR model I really like the idea of those and may wind up buying one when I get my new camera.

Quote:
I have seen those, and I nearly bought one of those, too!! I think that I will soon, as it looks much easier to use and carry. Oh, and why no camera included...!!!!! I'll have to check out the prices. Thanks for the info.
I actually heard about it here on the Dis, to be honest. I love the ThinkGeek site, though. So many fun products on there

Follow The Bouncing Ears 10/10 TR/PTR | 10/10 Pop 2008-09 CM 11/06 Offsite 2004-05 CP/First Visit
Me DBF
Old 11-11-2010, 10:00 PM   #116
hjd0411
DIS Veteran

PiO - what tripod did you get that fits in your suitcase? I'd be interested to find out - I do need a smaller one! PM me if you don't want to hijack your TR!!
Thanks
Oh, and your parade photos came out well - did you use the 50mm lens for all of these shots? I didn't do too well with mine when I used it, but I think it was lack of practice..!! Must keep trying again and again!

Old 11-11-2010, 10:25 PM   #117
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade+3 View Post
Great pictures. I hope my kids are not scared at MNSSHP. What ISO setting did you use? Photographing a parade at night is not something I will be able to practice before we go!
Jade - In some of the pictures, I had the camera set to No Flash mode. The EXIF show that the ISO moved between 800 - 3200. My camera will go to 6400 (and 12800 extended but I've never pushed it this high). I have played with ISO 3200 at home and find the pictures grainy. But the ones of the parade weren't too bad.
I also seem to have played in Aperture Priority mode as well. For these pictures, the ISO seems to have been set to either 800, 1600 or 3200 as well. In the shots that worked best, the speed was > 1/50 sec; in line with that 1/focal length rule of thumb.

Quote:
Be aware that the smaller ones won't support a dSLR weight...

Quote:
Ah, okay I wasn't sure about the DSLR model I really like the idea of those and may wind up buying one when I get my new camera.

I actually heard about it here on the Dis, to be honest. I love the ThinkGeek site, though. So many fun products on there
They are great for a Point and Shoot. I've seen them work really well. When you get your new camera, you should see if you can get one all bundled in your order.

Quote:
PiO - what tripod did you get that fits in your suitcase? I'd be interested to find out - I do need a smaller one! PM me if you don't want to hijack your TR!!
Thanks
Oh, and your parade photos came out well - did you use the 50mm lens for all of these shots? I didn't do too well with mine when I used it, but I think it was lack of practice..!! Must keep trying again and again!
I used the 50mm lens in all the night shots and in rides. I was quite pleased with how they turned out. I figured that my kit lenses wouldn't be able to handle the night or the dark rides without a flash and you're not meant to flash in the rides anyway. So, if I didn't try out the 50 mm and take shots with it, then I wouldn't have had any pictures. No loss either way.

The tripod that I took with me is one that collapses to about 50 cm. DH bought it for $20 at Harvey Norman's about a year ago; before we even got the dSLR. It's sufficient for my needs, holds the weight of the dSLR and I wouldn't lose any sleep if we accidently lost it somewhere.

We'll eventually get round to the second HalloWishes where I positioned myself down Main Street. I pushed the camera out of No Flash mode and trialled Av and Tv modes. I got some shots with short firework trails....

By way of a teaser

I'll make sure to include the photo info when I get round to writing up the second MNSSHP. Unfortunately, you'll have to wait until AFTER Epcot and DHS updates before we get there .

I better get busy with putting thoughts down..!

Old 11-11-2010, 10:29 PM   #118
DisneyFirefly

Quote:
They are great for a Point and Shoot. I've seen them work really well. When you get your new camera, you should see if you can get one all bundled in your order.
I think I'd order it through ThinkGeek, actually. I get GeekPoints from them toward free merchandise, so it would make sense to order it from them, since I'm probably just going to get my camera from Best Buy or something.

Me DBF
Old 11-11-2010, 10:46 PM   #119
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
I think I'd order it through ThinkGeek, actually. I get GeekPoints from them toward free merchandise, so it would make sense to order it from them, since I'm probably just going to get my camera from Best Buy or something.
Well - you better start thinking about what camera you want. You've only got 6 months to DLR.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:49 PM   #120
DisneyFirefly

Quote:
Well - you better start thinking about what camera you want. You've only got 6 months to DLR.
I think I'm going to get another Panasonic Lumix. This thing lasted so long and has been through a lot of drops and other things and still works, even though it does need to be replaced.

Me DBF

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: