Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #211
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

I too have never made a rope drop...I am most definitely not a morning person, but who knows that may change in the near future!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

Old 11-24-2010, 01:05 PM   #212
shushh
DIS Veteran

I hope that I am organised enough to make at least 1 rope drop this trip. It looks like fun. Besides I'm driven by want to get a shot of those icons with no people in them. Wish me luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
You should post some of your pictures on the Aussie boards....or here!

I'm curious! Which software did you get?
I copied our dear friend and got Lightroom3 and CS5. The prices were good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade+3 View Post
Thats great! Now you can teach me how to use it.....
Mmmm...Jade you know you'll be getting emails from me more often now don't you?

Princess is right you should post your photos. The are gorgeous especially the backlit ones
May 2011 Hong Kong Disneyland TR
Sep 2011 Salt Lake City, Disneyland TR
Dec 2012 France, Disneyland Paris, Italy, Cruise to the Holy Land
May 2013 Tokyo Disney Sea TR
Dec 2013 WDW, Caribbean Cruise Disney Fantasy, Caribbean Cruise Allure of the Seas, Disneyland
Jun 2015 Disney Wonder Alaskan Cruise
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2010, 12:12 AM   #213
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
I am too technically challenged to post photos! But, I will make an effort to learn for out next trip.

Not sure what Shussh brought, but I have both Lightroom and Photoshop. I brought both as the student discount was too good to pass up (got to be one advantage of being a uni student). My goal over summer is to learn how to use them.
Mmm... I'm going to have to think about programs at some stage...just not quite ready yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
I am fine with one person saving a spot in a line (or for a parade) for one (or even two or three) other people. My problems would be more the person that thinks that one person can save a spot for their party of 12. But, what you did is totally legitamate.

I'm guessing this whole trip report ends with: "and I slept the entire 24-hour flight back home".
I wish I could say that's how the TR ends; but I can usually never sleep on planes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
I too have never made a rope drop...I am most definitely not a morning person, but who knows that may change in the near future!
Well, it just depends on whether you wake up early or not. Let me know if you do make it to rope drop in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shushh View Post
I hope that I am organised enough to make at least 1 rope drop this trip. It looks like fun. Besides I'm driven by want to get a shot of those icons with no people in them. Wish me luck!

I copied our dear friend and got Lightroom3 and CS5. The prices were good!

Mmmm...Jade you know you'll be getting emails from me more often now don't you?

Princess is right you should post your photos. The are gorgeous especially the backlit ones
Fingers crossed that you get to make at least one rope drop on your Dec/Jan trip.

TSM update coming up....

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
Old 11-25-2010, 12:22 AM   #214
PrincessInOz
in

DHS: Update 2 – TSM morning

We’d managed to make rope drop at DHS and were in high hopes to score fastpasses for TSM plus get in stand-by for an early ride.

Firefly handed me her KTTW at some stage so that I could head on ahead to the machines.
I don’t know why!
I was as footsore as she was! But she must have thought that I was walking faster for some reason.

So, I grabbed the fastpasses and they read a 9.45 am return! And I encouraged her to get in the stand-by line so that we could beat about 5 people ahead of the ride. She gave me a couple of strange looks but stayed and waited for me. Turns out, I didn’t know WHAT I was thinking by sending Firefly towards the stand-by line!

By this stage, the stand-by line was out to halfway down Pixar Place, towards the Streets of America. So, we probably would have saved all of 30 seconds with Firefly starting in that spot!

So we chilled (or rather I chilled) and took some time to enjoy the scenery. It was nice to see the monkeys hanging around and to have the time to take a picture of them.

And those little green men are still trying to save the Scrabble game.

The official stand-by wait time was out to 40 minutes; and this was all before 9.10 am!

The queue was moving reasonably quickly but still slowly enough for me to grab a number of shots inside the building. When you return using a fastpass, you tend to miss out on the details and theming of the stand-by section.

I always find it sad to see that there is no candy in CandyLand.

And I’m glad that DS isn’t with me – he loves pushing over Dominos.

Lucky number 5..

And I love this picture of Woody and Buzz…I don’t know why!

Firefly’s camera was playing up, so I grabbed some shots of her. Turns out I got more shots of her at the park than I did of myself!

I took note of this poster with yet another lucky number 5….

And then felt a bit cheated!….

…..when no one would pay me that reward!!!

Luckily, wait time was only 25 minutes; not 40, and Firefly and I were strapped in the ride with those yellow perils on our faces before we even knew it.
In all the times I’ve been on this ride, I’ve never even managed to get a score beyond 25,000. Yes, I suck at this ride.

So, it was no surprise to me that Firefly whooped me on this ride! Sadly, Firefly’s camera worked for her to take a picture of the score – so head on over to her TR (if you haven’t already) if you want objective evidence of this. I did manage to get over 50,000!

By the time we came out of TSM, the sun was high enough for both of us to realize that today was not only hotter than the other days we’d been at the World but it was also significantly more HUMID.

“What do you want to do?”
“I don’t know…what do you?”
“I don’t know…how about we head in this direction?”

“Oooh! Can I stop for an autograph?”
"Oooh! Can I stop for a photograph?"

We could see Buzz and Woody!! And they were inside an air-conditioned building! So, we went in and queued for autographs and Photopass pictures.

Mini Pooh and mini Eeyore were feeling a little bored with waiting and decided that it was their turn to pose for some pictures. Turns out they entertained not just us; but all the other people in the queue as well. And it started the (daily) trend for the other people imitating what mini Pooh and mini Eeyore were doing.

Here they are pretending to be “in the box”

And enjoying the all-eyes-on-them feeling with the LGM. They sure enjoy standing out of a crowd.

They really enjoy being boxed in together!

Mini Pooh and mini Eeyore are having a blast despite being strapped to Syd’s rocket.

I sure hope that Stinky Pete’s box didn’t live up to it’s name.

And we rescued both critters before the conveyer belt starting moving.

I’m still waiting for Firefly to work through her Photopass CD before finding out how those pictures with Buzz and Woody turned out!

I’m sure she’ll post them….eventually (the CD has arrived!).

Up next: The Backlot Tour

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 11-25-2010, 06:20 AM   #215
shushh
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a great morning! I like the photo of the monkeys and the poster for Mr Potato head. Awaiting the photopass photos...
Dec 2013 WDW, Caribbean Cruise Disney Fantasy, Caribbean Cruise Allure of the Seas, Disneyland
Old 11-26-2010, 01:30 AM   #216
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Sounds like a great morning! I like the photo of the monkeys and the poster for Mr Potato head. Awaiting the photopass photos...
Thanks! It was a great morning. Just a little bit more humid than the other days; but not as humid as being in South East Asia.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:30 PM   #217
PrincessInOz
in

DHS: Update 3 – The Backlot Tour

It was mid-morning by the time we’d finished with those pesky Toys! I did wonder why we bother when the Toys are so clearly designed for Boys….and neither Firefly nor I fit that particular demographic. (Actually, I am a BIG Toy Story fan; so it was fantastic to hang out in Pixar Place.) It was a very satisfying start to the day; having been on one of the premier DHS attractions and with us still holding fast passes for a return visit later on.

We came out of the photo opportunity and started our usual conversation.

“What do you want to do?”
“I don’t know…what do you?”
“I don’t know…how about we head in this direction?”

We decided it was time to rest our feet a little and go check out the Backlot Tour.

Wait time was about 10 minutes; so it seemed like a great idea.

Before too long, we were ushered into a holding area with monitors and a movie set.

The action included fire….

And bombs going off….

There was this guy sitting in what obviously looked like the Wet Zone.

And wet it was!

The sequence got put up on the monitors above our heads and it’s always great to see the magic of movie making being put together.

After the moving making, we filed on out past the Hannah Montana painted chook house.

I thought it was beautiful in the movie and I sure liked being able to see it up close.

It was then time to head out to the bus tour.

And to admire the two Mickey Ears up semi-closer.

I personally think that this is the best part of the tour….

Where you get to see the working CM behind the scenes.

And then we moved past the transport graveyard.

For my money, this is probably the most interesting of the ‘wrecks’ in the graveyard.

If the provolence is to be believed, Walt and the Disney executives used this plane to fly out from Anaheim to Orlando when the WDW site was being selected. We are the lucky guests that get to enjoy the finished vision but I wonder what they thought about the swamp and mosquitoes in those days?

We were then treated to a fire and water show…

Okay…it was a LOT of water!

And every drop of it gets recycled back…well, except for the half a bucket or so drops that got on me and my camera.

Me? I think the backlot tour is something that you would do once. If you’ve been to the Universal Studios backlot tour, then the DHS version is very tame by comparison.

Still, the backlot tour allowed me to take these promotional advertisements of Tron for Firefly.

I hope that the Tron movie re-make turns out way better than the original (not that there was anything wrong with the original).

We got off the bus and enjoyed some of the costumes from various Disney and Touchstone productions. We also found Boo’s door. Mini Pooh and mini Eeyore decided it was time for them to hang out around the door.

They are there….somewhere!

Firefly told me when she arrived at the park that she hadn’t yet had breakfast. What with the rush to TSM and jumping on the backlot tour, we still hadn’t stop for food and it was nearly lunchtime!! Time for a major snack break!

Up Next: How the heck do we eat this snack?

Old 11-26-2010, 09:58 PM   #218
Jade+3
DIS Veteran

I like the shots outside TSM. I always forget to look up!

Just noticed the new ticker. Wish DH could get a job based in the US, but that will never happen.
Carnival Imagination - September 2011
Freedom of the Seas - September 2013
Old 11-26-2010, 10:39 PM   #219
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

I agree that you don't need to take the backlot tour too many times! Yay for a new ticker! When are we going to meet up in your trip? I love making plans, and then I can put the appointment in my new phone if it get it!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

Old 11-27-2010, 03:12 AM   #220
ehsmum
Mouseketeer

I agree that the backlot tour is nowhere as good as Universal Hollywood, but we all enjoyed it just the same .

Great photos! Looking forward to hearing about what you did with the rest of your day!
Old 11-27-2010, 02:04 PM   #221
shushh
DIS Veteran

Again, sounds like a lot of fun. DH would love the "wrecks"! I see that your ticker is up! So what are you up to on Jan 21? We're heading straight to an LAX airport to dump our stuff then we'll be free until we have to the airport for our 1045pm flight. I was planning to go Santa Monica but I can be swayed...
Old 11-27-2010, 03:12 PM   #222
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
I like the shots outside TSM. I always forget to look up!

Just noticed the new ticker. Wish DH could get a job based in the US, but that will never happen.
You'll definitely have to remember to look UP next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
I agree that you don't need to take the backlot tour too many times! Yay for a new ticker! When are we going to meet up in your trip? I love making plans, and then I can put the appointment in my new phone if it get it!
Sent a PM...looking forward to it. I'm thinking of starting a new PTR....maybe NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehsmum View Post
I agree that the backlot tour is nowhere as good as Universal Hollywood, but we all enjoyed it just the same .

Great photos! Looking forward to hearing about what you did with the rest of your day!
Thanks.

Quote:
Again, sounds like a lot of fun. DH would love the "wrecks"! I see that your ticker is up! So what are you up to on Jan 21? We're heading straight to an LAX airport to dump our stuff then we'll be free until we have to the airport for our 1045pm flight. I was planning to go Santa Monica but I can be swayed...
We haven't worked it out yet. We're thinking we might need to start driving up towards San Francisco on that Friday. Santa Monica could be good....for lunch?

Old 11-27-2010, 03:28 PM   #223
PrincessInOz
in

DHS: Update 4 – How the heck do we eat this snack?

When Firefly and I met up this morning, she told me that she had yet to have breakfast. But we both knew that we needed to head straight for TSM before being able to think about food. I’m not sure why we didn’t stop for food immediately after I got beaten on TSM instead of jumping on the backlot tour.

Nevertheless, at way past 11 am, it was time for a major snack and breakfast stop. And there was only one place that Firefly and I wanted to stop at…

“How about we head in this direction?”

“Ooh…can we stop for an autograph first?”

We ran into a green Toy Soldier and we added his signature to Firefly’s collection.

And then it was time to head towards….Starring Roles.

Firefly picked this up for breakfast.

She offered to share it with me; but I only wanted a little taste so that I could report here that it was really yum. I had something else in mind…..

Yup! That Butterfinger cupcake had my name all over it! I had enjoyed one such cupcake in May.

In May, I had shared the cupcake with DH and DS…and had the luxury of eating it at our room in BCV complete with plates, forks and running tap water. But, I bought the cupcake and it sat in the fridge for over 3 days before we finally got round to eating it. It was still beautiful; but it made me wonder how good the cupcake would have been if we had eaten it fresh on the day of purchase.

So, today was the day! Not only had I been dreaming about the day where I would be able to stuff another one into my mouth; but also about being able to eat it immediately after purchase.

I still had to figure out how to eat this monster and appear dignified at the same time; despite the presence of plastic cutlery. So, I tried cutting it in half.

Look at all that slob of delicious chocolate fudge icing embedded in that rich chocolate cupcake and slathered with the buttercream icing frosting covered with butterfingers!

I knew that I would still not be able to cram the half a little beauty into my mouth....so I then cut it into quarters.

I could finally be able to at the cupcake in a semi dignified manner. And Firefly was happy to share some with me.

We sat there on the outside of Starring Roles enjoying our treasures; and for once....I experienced no order envy.
In case you've never experienced it, order envy is when you look at everyone else's order when it arrives and wish that you had ordered that instead of your own.
I was more than satisfied that Firefly and I were the cause of order envy in the Starring Roles terrace....and for everyone else walking by.

The cupcake was as scrumptious as I remembered. And for the record, the cupcake was as good fresh as it was eaten a few days after purchase.

At this stage, we were getting close to the time of Firefly’s lunch ADR. She had offered to bring me along so that we could hang out together.

I know it sounds awful…but I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do for the afternoon.
The lazy me just wanted to keep enjoying the day and walking about with Firefly until it was time to hit MNSSHP.
The obsessive compulsive me knew I had to think about packing. DH and I were flying out to San Francisco the next day and there was a pile of packing waiting in the resort. I had wondered when I would get round to it as tonight looked like another late night.
The travelling me had also thought of providing myself with the opportunity of getting to AK.

But the lure of more food turned out to be too great to resist. I would need to forego going to AK. So, I agreed to have lunch but decided that I would need to get back to the resort before MNSSHP and pack.

Firefly also wanted to get on a couple of the big attractions at DHS; and wanted to get some fastpasses for them. So, we headed down Sunset Boulevard….

…..via the airconditioned shops.

Where she picked up a fastpass for the ride that I am NOT ever going to get on.

As I was heading back to the resort to pack, I would have no need for a fast pass that afternoon. So I got her one for this attraction.

And then it was time to head back to Firefly’s chosen lunch spot.

Up Next: MORE Food

Old 11-27-2010, 07:02 PM   #224
manntra
DIS Veteran

I love the rope drop at DHS...any interaction with the Streetsmosphere really make me laugh
I agree with you on the CM's at work....sewing etc and Walt's Florida prospecting plane being the best parts of The Backlot tour
Oooh that Butterfinger cupcake looks delicious! I remember from your previous TR how you coveted thee I stopped in there the morning we did rope drop and was looking forward to my banana concoction but alas it wasn't there....probably a good thing though
for your new ticker!!

Tracy
Old 11-28-2010, 02:03 PM   #225
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by manntra View Post
I love the rope drop at DHS...any interaction with the Streetsmosphere really make me laugh
I agree with you on the CM's at work....sewing etc and Walt's Florida prospecting plane being the best parts of The Backlot tour
Oooh that Butterfinger cupcake looks delicious! I remember from your previous TR how you coveted thee I stopped in there the morning we did rope drop and was looking forward to my banana concoction but alas it wasn't there....probably a good thing though
for your new ticker!!

Tracy
You might need to consider the Butterfinger cupcake when you're there in May. Your ticker is gorgeous!

Both of them!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: