Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
sonjaandsue
Mouseketeer

Slapped in the Poly CL lounge & can't wait to return!

Yes, I was slapped in the Poly CL lounge - and it wasn't an angry CM or GP. And yes, I would go back for more in a heartbeat! This is my very first TR on our very first trip to WDW!
Who we are:

Myself, Sonja:

The 40-something hospice nurse who suggested and planned the whole trip.

My DP, Sue:

Who had to be nudged into the trip & was very patient with my obsessive planning. She has MS and was very worried about having enough energy to make it through the parks. Luckily she trusted that we would figure it out and we did! The park ECVs were a life saver and she had energy to spare at the end of the day.

We live in Wisconsin - and I am writing this report while we are watching the UW Badgers in the Sweet 16! Teach me how to Bucky!

Our son, Fernando:

Who is obsessed with pirates & Star Wars so WDW seemed like a no-brainer. Tolerates princesses - likes Mulan but only when she has a sword.

And our wonderful friend, Scott:

Who is a blast to have around and a fabulous uncle to Fernando. For example, he lives in California and started getting up at 4am so he would be ready for early starts in Florida! He is a film-maker (just got a distribution deal for his first feature!), teaches film, and is a vegetarian. He was also patient with my obsessive planning and the dozens of photos of WDW vegetarian food that I sent him.

We arrived on January 8th. The flight was only marred by the fact that Fernando did not nap on the plane. Our flight was early and Scott's flight was late so we decided to take our slightly cranky 4 yr old on DME and meet Scott at the Poly.

We decided to stay CL because with 3 adults and a 4 yr old, we thought that it would be nice for the adults to have a place to chill when Fernando was sleeping.

We were whisked directly to our room on a golf cart and Scott arrived while we were unpacking. It was about 6pm so we decided to head to the lounge for some food. I couldn't wait to see the castle...I had no inkling that my experience there would not be magical...

Last edited by sonjaandsue; 03-25-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
sonjaandsue
Mouseketeer

Chapter Links

The Meltdown:http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...32&postcount=3
Poly Praise:http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...56&postcount=4

Last edited by sonjaandsue; 03-24-2011 at 10:29 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-24-2011, 10:05 PM   #3
sonjaandsue
Mouseketeer

The Meltdown

We took our first trip to the Poly CL lounge and Fernando got a kick out of the Tiki statues:
\
They were his favorite part of the trip. He says that he misses them and they are lonely without him. Looks like we will be staying at the Poly at our next visit too!

We go up the stairs and I get my view of the castle!! I grinned from ear to ear. Scott and Sue head to the food. Fernando asks for water. I go get him a glass of water...and THE MELTDOWN happens. "NO! I want a bottle of water." Sorry, they don't have bottles here. Now screaming "I want the bottle like on the plane." Fernando, you're hungry. How about some pita bread - you love pita bread. Screamed "NO". This is not OK, we're having a time-out in our room (pick him up). "NO." (crying). Then SLAP - right across my face. Right in the middle of the lounge, right in front of Cinderella's Castle for crikes sake!! So back to the room I went with him screaming and me thinking, "This is NOT magical." and "Are we going to be known as one of THOSE families?"

Well, he calmed down and we returned and he ate. But the only thing I remember that they served in the lounge that night was the very yummy, very alcoholic punch. Lots and lots of the punch...

He had only one other meltdown that whole week so, really, it ended up just fine. The other guests did not start giving us dirty looks in the lounge. And the adults didn't have any meltdowns which I think is a miracle...

Last edited by sonjaandsue; 03-24-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:28 PM   #4
sonjaandsue
Mouseketeer

Poly Praise

A moment to praise the Poly! We can't say anything bad about it. The rooms are spacious:

I already mentioned that Fernando loved the theming:

And I surprised myself by loving it too! I got such a kick out of torches - I loved walking around the resort at night.
Captain Cook's was good - really pretty good for what I consider to be cafeteria food. We especially recommend the Aloha pork sandwich and Polynesian chips and Polynesian salad.
The location can not be beat. We were there during a slow time so the buses really seemed to move along well. And the monorail & ferry meant a quick trip to MK or Epcot.
The CMs were responsive and friendly. We never got a lei or a towel animal but did not care at all. We had a mousekeeping issue on one day - we had a spill on the bed sheet, requested it be changed, and it was not. But it was taken care of quickly when we called.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:00 PM   #5
briand1023
Mouseketeer

awesome!
Old 03-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #6
sonjaandsue
Mouseketeer

Our first MK day ever!

We had breakfast in the CL lounge which was a nice convenience for the whole trip. There was always four kinds of dry cereal, oatmeal with toppings, fresh fruit, and then rotating bakery items. It was fine for our needs - I liked having one meal where I always made health choices.

Then we headed out - we had to go to the MK on the first day. It was Half-Marathon Day so we figured that it would be a fairly low key park. At the last minute we decided to take the ferry - there was only one other family on the pier...when we first walked up. About 5 minutes later, people just started streaming onto the pier by the dozens. We thought it was normal and were glad to beat the crowd. Then we found out that the monorail was broke! Boy did we make a good decision.

We arrived, rented the ECV and went to the bathroom(s) and found popcorn for Fernando AND then were on our way up Main St. (We are not theme park commandos). Our very first photo with the castle:

We swung a left and headed into Adventureland. Aladdin & Jasmine were out! Fernando loves Aladdin but was very shy - hid behind my leg as they spoke with us. And would not pose for the picture: That was Sue taking the picture - she is not the best photographer in the world, no problem - that's what Photopass photographers are for, right? Well, in our case - not so much. That was the one disappointment we had - ALL of the Photopass photos were bad - the entire trip, no matter what photographer, no matter what park. Our photos were always just as good which is not saying much, I'm afraid.

We then rode the Magic Carpets - I haven't mentioned that I'm afraid of heights yet, have I?
That's me - already regretting getting on the darn thing. Being a good mom, I let Fernando take it as high as he wanted and shut my eyes! It was my second least favorite ride...

Now to one of our favorites -Pirates of the Caribbean! We all loved it - I forgot to take pics because I was enjoying it so much. We got fast passes for BTMR and went to the Haunted Mansion which Fernando has seen on youtube and was excited to try.

Had lunch at Columbia Harbor House - Scott & I liked the Lighthouse Sandwich, Sue liked the shrimp, Fernando had filled up on popcorn and barely ate.

Went back to BTMR which is now one of my favorite rides ! I am afraid when I know I am up in the air but love roller coasters where I it seems like I'm not (does that make sense to anyone?). Sue liked it too - Fernando is next to her, gripping her for dear life: He hated it - which surprised us because he is always about faster, wilder, etc. He said it made him "rollercoaster sick" although he liked the "cowboy" theme.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: