Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2010, 12:42 AM   #91
DisneyFirefly
I wind up insanely itchy and liable to break skin
I'm definitely a walking information desk when it comes to MK

Aside from the meltdown, it sounds like you guys had a pretty good day! And I wanna hear what made the next day the best day ever!! Can you PM me and tell me?

Our 10/16 Disney Wedding PJ | Follow The Bouncing Ears 10/10 TR | PTR | 10/10 Pop 2008-09 CM 11/06 Offsite 2004-05 CP/First Visit
Me DF
Old 11-11-2010, 12:59 AM   #92
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

No more TSM fast passes before noon??? That's crazy!
YAY for last Meltdown!
Nice pics of the two of you - scary face and all.

Waiting for best day ever....

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-11-2010, 11:36 AM   #93
norybell
DIS Veteran

Sorry to hear about the bug bites and the breakdown! When I got home from my trip, I realized I had eleven itchy bites on my left leg...of course I freaked out that it was bedbugs (thankfully it wasn't). They must've had some hardcore mosquitoes flying around that week!

It was super-busy at DHS the day I was there, too. RnR was down, and it's crazy how much that screws up the traffic patterns -- TSM fastpasses were gone by 10:15 in the morning! On a slow, non-Fantasmic day in October!
DISNEY TRIPS: 1977 - Vacation Villas 1978-1992 - many trips, all Vacation Villas or Treehouse Villas 1996 - Saratoga Springs August 2001 - YC May 2004 - YC April 2009 - YC October 2009 - CR/YC May 2010 - POR/GF/BWI October 2010 - POR/CSR/Poly January 2011 - CBR/WL April 2011 - Pop/GF/BC May 2011 - Disneyland GCH September 2011 - Poly October 2011 - AKL January 2012 - CR February/March 2012 - POFQ/Poly August 2012 - GF/BWI May 2013 - GF/BWV Sept 2013 - BCV Sept 2014 - ???

TRIP REPORTS:Nory Report III: In the Third Person! Nory and Simba CRAWL through the World: A Sept/Oct 2013 PTR Fleeing Wedding Showers for Epcot Flowers It's a SO-LO trip report!

Old 11-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #94
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Is that a picture of Dean Martin on the wall of Mama Melrose? Love him!

They need to open up a new ride at DHS so TSM stops running out of FPs so early!

Can't wait to hear about the best day ever! Is it really the best day ever or are you being sarcastic?

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu/DCL ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
Old 11-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #95
Simba22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFirefly View Post
Aside from the meltdown, it sounds like you guys had a pretty good day! And I wanna hear what made the next day the best day ever!! Can you PM me and tell me?
NO!!! LOL But I'm posting the update tonight when I get home...I just have to finish putting my pics into Photobucket so you don't have to wait long. Although I think you already know about it anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
No more TSM fast passes before noon??? That's crazy!
YAY for last Meltdown!
Nice pics of the two of you - scary face and all.

Waiting for best day ever....
I'm pretty sure they were gone by 10:30! I had heard on other TRs that people were getting there at 10am and getting FPs with return times of 6:30pm. I knew we had to get there early and I just failed to get up on time.

Yes, I'm glad that I got the meltdowns out of the way at the beginning of the trip so that we had to time to get over them and move on, instead of having a great trip and ruining it with temper tantrums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by norybell View Post
Sorry to hear about the bug bites and the breakdown! When I got home from my trip, I realized I had eleven itchy bites on my left leg...of course I freaked out that it was bedbugs (thankfully it wasn't). They must've had some hardcore mosquitoes flying around that week!

It was super-busy at DHS the day I was there, too. RnR was down, and it's crazy how much that screws up the traffic patterns -- TSM fastpasses were gone by 10:15 in the morning! On a slow, non-Fantasmic day in October!
I think the mosquito problem is at Epcot! Other people, DisneyFirefly included, also got some wicked mosquito bites after being at Epcot.

I'm so glad that nothing at DHS was down while we were there! You are right, it messes up everything! I think that because there is such a lack of things to do there, as opposed to something like MK, or AK where things are much more spread out, that it just really throws off the whole flow of things when a major attraction is down. And is it just me, or does RnRC seem to go down A LOT??

Last edited by Simba22; 11-11-2010 at 10:35 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:03 PM   #96
DisneyFirefly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba22 View Post
NO!!! LOL But I'm posting the update tonight when I get home...I just have to finish putting my pics into Photobucket so you don't have to wait long. Although I think you already know about it anyway!
I don't know if I know! But I'll check as soon as you've posted whatever made it the greatest day ever

Our 10/16 Disney Wedding PJ | Follow The Bouncing Ears 10/10 TR | PTR | 10/10 Pop 2008-09 CM 11/06 Offsite 2004-05 CP/First Visit
Me DF
Old 11-11-2010, 11:33 PM   #97
Simba22
DIS Veteran

Chapter 5: The Best Day Ever! Part 1

We got up around 8am and began preparing for our first day at Animal Kingdom.

As I was getting dressed, Lumar was standing at the sink preparing to shave when I hear him go "Oh no!" in a really depressing fashion. Apparently, when he told me to pack the pieces he needed for his electric shaver, I forgot the beard trimmer attachment. So he had the main unit, but no attachment. From what I understand, he had a painful start to his day because of this. Here I thought I was better off packing weeks early...maybe I should stick to last-minute, night-before packing from now on.

We got breakfast at Pepper Market - our usual, French Toast, but today we added in a cheese danish because it looked delicious. And believe me, it was!

We arrived at AK around 11am.

We decided to go and get FPs for the Safari first. On our way there, we find Meeko and get in line to meet him!

There was this guy in front of us in line who had a huge camera with him. When I tell you that the lens on this camera was like 2 feet long, I am not even slightly kidding you. It had to weigh a ton! I almost took a picture of it, but I haven't mastered Stalker Photography and I felt weird just being blatant about it.

After we said goodbye to Meeko, we continued to Africa for our FPs. They came with a return time of 12:30 so we headed into Asia to check out the wait for Everest. IT was only 30 minutes so we decided to wait. We hardly ever wait in the actual queue for this ride so it was cool to check out some of the stuff in the glass cases.

When our ride was over, we were able to get new FPs so we could come back later. It was about quarter to 1 at this point and we decided to go and eat lunch and save our Safari FPs for around 4:45 or so, as a lot of people have said that if you go on the late safaris the animals are more active than at mid-day.

Since we had a dinner ADR at Yak & Yeti for later that evening, we decided against the Y & Y CS and headed to Pizzafari for lunch.

Lumar had a Pepperoni Pizza:

And I ordered the hot Italian sandwich:

The sandwich was actually really good so I'm glad I got it!

After we finished, we decided to go check out Dinoland. At the entrance where you can meet the Pooh characters, we saw two CMs who were wearing lanyards so we approached them to trade. This was our conversation:

Me: "Hello! Can I take a look at your pins, please?"

CM: "Sure, but you have to answer a question for me first!"

Me: "OK....." (I'm thinking she's going to ask me some AK trivia question or something and I'm thinking to myself 'try and stump me, lady! Just try! )

CM: "Are you guys going to be here around 3:30pm today?"

Lumar and I look at each other, then we turn back to her and say we will.

CM: "Great! How would you like to be in Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade as a Family of the Day?"

My jaw just about hit the floor! We've always wondered how you get picked to be in the parade and this parade just happens to be my favorite! We were so excited, after we gave them all of our info and got the details, we kept walking towards Dinoland but had to keep asking ourselves if that really just happened. It was something we always wanted to do but we totally weren't expecting to actually ever do it!

We didn't have to meet back up with them until 3:15 and it was only 1:30 so we knew we had some time. Lumar needed to use the restroom so while he went there, I stopped at Dino-Bites for an ice cream. The CM there was operating the register AND making the cones so I waited about 10 minutes. It was worth it though! Chocolate Chip Waffle Cone = YUM

After I finished my rapidly melting ice cream (I think it was 88° this day), we decided to go back to Asia to use our FPs for Everest. We got put into the 3rd row. There was a family of 4 that was broken up into rows 1 and 2. Dad and son were in row 1. Dad turns to us and (looking terrified) asks if we will switch with him because he does NOT want to be in the front row. SCORE!! We couldn't believe our luck! We've NEVER gotten front row on EE before! It was WAY more intense during this ride and I kept grabbing for my earrings, thinking they were being blown out of my ear lobes!

It was just about 3pm when we got off of Everest so we began the trek back to Africa to meet up with the CMs for the parade. When we got to the entrance to the Safari, there were 2 other families waiting there already. One of the CMs came out and said we were waiting for a few more people. When they arrived, he put us in all in a line in a specific order but we had no idea what the order meant.

He told us we would go backstage one group at a time to get costumes and then we would get loaded onto our floats/cars around 4. He then explains that for being part of the parade, we would all get a special Photopass that would allow us free digital downloads of the PP pics that were taken of us during the parade! He handed out a postcard with the instructions for the PP pics on it, and at the top, it said which float we would be on. Up until this point, we hadn't really thought about. Imagine our surprise when we see "Mickey" written at the top of our card!

We were going to be on MICKEY'S PARADE FLOAT!!

We got excited all over again and finally it was our turn to go backstage to pick out costumes. They have an array of vests and hats for you to wear so Lumar picked ours out then another CM brought us down the line to our float. We weren't allowed to take pics backstage, but I snuck one anyway:

You can SOOO tell we're backstage, huh?

So as we're walking down to our float, we see Rafiki headed back inside a building. I made a joke about him needing a last minute potty-break. We get loaded into the float and we're waiting...and waiting....and waiting. Finally, another CM comes over the walkie-talkie of our driver and says they are just waiting for Rafiki to finish up in the restroom!

They remind you constantly to keep smiling and keep waving. I remember thinking "this is gonna be so cool!" Finally, we were on our way!

These are a few of the PP pics:

Let me tell you, smiling and waving for 35 minutes is HARD WORK. My face hurt by the time we arrived backstage again!

I was a little bummed about the pics because there are bars on the vehicles that block your face most of the time, and the photographer didn't get any pics of the WHOLE float so we have no pics with Mickey in them!

Speaking of which, let me just say that if you ever want to know how it feels to be a second class citizen, ride in a parade float with Mickey Mouse. The whole crowd is smiling and waving at you...then they see Mickey and suddenly you just don't matter anymore!

It was a really fun time and we are still so happy that we got that opportunity!

Cont'd in next post!

Last edited by Simba22; 11-15-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:38 PM   #98
DisneyFirefly

I did know about that, I just forgot! That sounds like a lot of fun, though! And at least you weren't waiting for a certain character to finish her cigarette. I can't tell you how often I saw this one character (PM me if you wanna know who) smoking behind Mrs Potts.

Those pics are pretty cool, though! I've never ridden in the front of Everest, but I'll have to try next time

Me DF
Old 11-11-2010, 11:47 PM   #99
Simba22
DIS Veteran

Chapter 6: The Best Day Ever! Part 2

OK, so after we gave back our costumes, we decided to get on the Safari with our FPs since it was about 4:30. There were hardly any animals out! It was disappointing after hearing so many people talk about how the animals were more active...but even though it was late in the day, it was still really hot so I can't say I blame them for hiding out.

Usually, I'm the one taking random pics of Lumar not paying attention. He tagged me back while we were waiting to board our truck:

This pic is a little blurry but I had to post it because I've never seen a hippo out of the water before!

And for only the 2nd time in 9 trips, we actually got proof that the cheetahs exist:

The elephants were actually pretty active so we got a few good ones of them:

And one of my favorite pics ever:

It was just about time for dinner so we headed back to Asia and checked in for our ADR. For the first time ever, we got seated upstairs! It was really nice!

Lumar ordered the Short Ribs with a Safari Amber (Although I didn't take a pic of his beer, sorry!)

And I ordered the Sweet & Sour Chicken (and an Everest Avalanche but I didn't take a pic of that, either!):

We were debating on dessert when our server came over and told us that the family next to us was on the DDP and they were entitled to two desserts but they didn't want them, so they wanted to know if we wanted them.

Lumar and I were stunned! How many totally awesome things can you even fit into one day!? We thanked them profusely and ordered the Sorbet:

And the fried wontons:

Free dessert! How cool is that!?

I happened to have two gift cards for Landry's restaurants, one for $50 and one for $25. I decided to use the $25 card here and save the $50 one for T-Rex later in the week. I gave the server the gift card and the credit card for the balance but when she brought back the receipt, it said the gift card that she ran through had $50 on it. I thought I must have mixed them up and given her the wrong one. Oh well, no biggie! But keep this mind later in for later in the week....

Since there were PM EMH this night until 8, after dinner, we headed back to Dinoland to ride Dinosaur (which I do have the pic of but it's not scanned), and then went on EE again (which was a walk on). Riding at night is a WAY different experience! We didn't get the front again, but it was still extremely cool!

We got a PP pic taken:

And I took some pics on the way out, but they didn't come out as good as I hoped. I must have had my camera on the wrong setting

There was only 5 people waiting for the bus to CSR, including ourselves! We had such a fantastic day I still can't believe all of the pixie dust we got! Maybe that was a lucky cheese danish we had for breakfast!

Last edited by Simba22; 11-15-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:52 PM   #100
DisneyFirefly

I love that last pic of the tree!

Me DF
Old 11-12-2010, 12:04 AM   #101
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

You're right! That is an AWESOME day! Pity you ended up being second class citizens compared to Mickey...but then how cool would it have been to be riding in one of those floats?

I've never ridden EE in the very front....second row; but not the very front. It's a great view.

Love the picture of the Tree....

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
Old 11-12-2010, 10:07 AM   #102
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Wow, you really did have an awesome day! So many good things all crammed into one day

I don't get why people bring cameras that huge on vacation.

Cool night pictures of AK! I've never been in AK at night. And jealous of the lion picture! Never see the lions!

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu/DCL ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
Old 11-12-2010, 10:28 AM   #103
Shannon84
DIS Veteran

What an AMAZING AK day!!! That is so cool that you guys were chosen to be family of the day in the parade Too bad they didnt snap a picture of the entire float though, so you could see Mickey with you guys!

And how nice of that family to give you their desserts, it sounds like the DHS meltdown turned into a perfect day at AK
Old 11-12-2010, 10:28 AM   #104
Simba22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I did know about that, I just forgot! That sounds like a lot of fun, though! And at least you weren't waiting for a certain character to finish her cigarette. I can't tell you how often I saw this one character (PM me if you wanna know who) smoking behind Mrs Potts.

Those pics are pretty cool, though! I've never ridden in the front of Everest, but I'll have to try next time
I told you that you knew about it already!

That is so funny about the smoking character! Well, funny, but NOT

Quote:
I love that last pic of the tree!
Thanks! I'm thinking of printing an 8 x 10 and framing it....I wish the other ones came out better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
You're right! That is an AWESOME day! Pity you ended up being second class citizens compared to Mickey...but then how cool would it have been to be riding in one of those floats?

I've never ridden EE in the very front....second row; but not the very front. It's a great view.

Love the picture of the Tree....
It really was an amazing day! Everything about it was just perfect! PLUS we got to hang out at AK at night, which is something we always wanted to do but never got the chance (we were there for PM EMH last year but I got sick and had to leave early in the day so we missed it).

EE in the front row is CRAZY! I'd love to get front row at night! It's a totally new experience because you really can't see where you're going. It was a full moon the night, but the moonlight was all we had!

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny105 View Post
Wow, you really did have an awesome day! So many good things all crammed into one day

I don't get why people bring cameras that huge on vacation.

Cool night pictures of AK! I've never been in AK at night. And jealous of the lion picture! Never see the lions!
It was PERFECT! Good stuff just kept happening! It was insane!

I don't know why they bring them either! It looked like such a burden! I suppose if you aren't planning to ride anything than it's OK but that's no fun!

AK at night is amazing! Especially since most people don't stay all day anyway, during PM EMH we had the entire path from Asia to Africa to ourselves.

We've only seen the male lion in an upright position one other time and that was in 2006. He's always sleeping and usually all you can see is his mane sticking up.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:31 AM   #105
Simba22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon84 View Post
What an AMAZING AK day!!! That is so cool that you guys were chosen to be family of the day in the parade Too bad they didnt snap a picture of the entire float though, so you could see Mickey with you guys!

And how nice of that family to give you their desserts, it sounds like the DHS meltdown turned into a perfect day at AK
Yeah I feel like the PP photographers were probably not accustomed to taking pics of the parades. Like I said, I'm a little bummed about it but at the same time, we are immortalized in the pics and videos of 8000 people who were watching the parade that day! Maybe I'll start a thread and see if anyone got any pics of us with the whole float....

The first two days worth of arguing and crying were totally washed away by our AK day! It was wonderful! There will never be another day quite like this one!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: