Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
Quacktatty
DIS Veteran

Bad Pictures and Mediocre reviews...enjoy Updated 11/6

So I came back from my trip with no real desire to do another dining review, but since I went through the effort of photographing most of my food I figured I might as well go ahead and share.
Previous Trips: DL and WDW numerous times on and off-site as a child, 1999 High School trip to WDW, played on stage at Cosmic Ray's and in DTD. 3/03 - 1 Day in MK, 10/03 - ASMovies, 1/07 - 7 nights POFQ, 9/08 - 6 nights AKL, 10/09 - 10 nights POP/AKL, 5/10 - 5 nights POFQ, 10/10 - 7 nights AKL, 11/11 - 5 nights DLR (HoJo)

Trip Reports: May 2010, October 2009, September 2008, January 2007

Dining Reviews:October 2010, May 2010, October 2009, September 2008

Last edited by Quacktatty; 11-06-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Quacktatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
Quacktatty
DIS Veteran

Plaza - Lunch

This was a spontaneous decision, I didn't really plan to eat at The Plaza, but I was starving and I heard they had good french fries.

I sat in the front of the restaurant next to the windows - my view

I managed to catch quite a bit of the 3:00 parade from my seat.

I ordered the Tuna Croissant with fries.

The tuna was good, very chunky and not too much mayo. The croissant was a disappointment. I wanted it to be buttery and maybe even warm, but it was neither. The fries were the best part of the meal, probably one of the best things I ate my entire trip. They are thick cut instead of the thin fries you get elsewhere on property.

For dessert I had a Brownie Sundae.

This was enough for three people to share, I didn't come close to finishing it. The ice cream was good, you can't screw up vanilla ice cream that bad, but the brownie itself was cold...not what I was expecting or really wanted. Oh well. I only ate about 1/3 of the brownie anyway.
Previous Trips: DL and WDW numerous times on and off-site as a child, 1999 High School trip to WDW, played on stage at Cosmic Ray's and in DTD. 3/03 - 1 Day in MK, 10/03 - ASMovies, 1/07 - 7 nights POFQ, 9/08 - 6 nights AKL, 10/09 - 10 nights POP/AKL, 5/10 - 5 nights POFQ, 10/10 - 7 nights AKL, 11/11 - 5 nights DLR (HoJo)

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-30-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
Quacktatty
DIS Veteran

T-Rex Dinner

This was a very late meal for me, I think I sat at the bar around 9:30 or so, maybe even later. I ordered a Cotton Candy Cosmo - very good, but by the time I wanted to order another the bar was being shutdown for the evening.

For my meal it was the Appetizer Sampler but I substituted the chicken quesadillas for mozzarella sticks since I don't really eat chicken.

Since you can't probably tell from the picture this includes Bruschetta which is actually pretty good. It's tomato, eggplant and an herb cheese spread with the pieces of the bruschetta bread. There is also the mozzarella sticks, your standard mozzarella sticks, not very good. Onion rings which are just typical onion rings and then a queso dip with chips. The queso was already hardening by the time it reached me so I didn't eat much of it...it's pretty much just like the stuff out of a jar that you get at the grocery store.

No dessert but the lady next to me offered to share hers. Her and her son ordered some monster dessert with cakes and ice creams, far too much for two people, so she asked if I wanted any. I turned her down because frankly that's gross.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
Quacktatty
DIS Veteran

Flame Tree - Lunch

I get the same thing every time I eat here, a pork sandwich with coleslaw instead of beans. The pork seemed rather fatty this day, but it was edible, I drowned it in quite a bit of barbecue sauce.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:19 PM   #5
Quacktatty
DIS Veteran

Snack

I was in the mood for some soft serve and I always like to stop at the blue ice cream truck in Asia at Animal Kingdom. I noticed the people before me had kind of a funky looking ice cream, but I was craving it so I went and ordered anyway. I shouldn't have.

There was something wrong with the batch...it was too heavy, I can't really explain it but it wasn't the normal soft serve texture, oh well.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:26 PM   #6
Quacktatty
DIS Veteran

Food and Wine Deminar - Gina Greene

Gina Greene is a Magic Kingdom chef and was making a corn and crab soup.

I arrived a little late for the demo but managed to get a front table. I quickly realized that it was the table of crazy ladies that I would see repeatedly throughout my trip.

Pam Smith wasn't doing all the hosting this year, instead we had a guy named John Eiken, I'm making up that spelling since I never did get the correct one. He pronounced it ee-ken. I liked him better than Pam.

The wine guy whose name I don't remember or what wine he was presenting was good and his wine was tasty.

Gina Greene seemed like a nice person, but was clearly not a presenter. She did do a good job of cooking and talking though and her soup was very good. This was a good warm up deminar, can't have too much excitement for the first one.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:36 PM   #7
Quacktatty
DIS Veteran

'Ohana

'Ohana is one of my favorite restaurants and did not disappoint.

I arrived to a relatively quiet lobby after a nice walk from the TTC. I decided to park there instead of the Poly itself for some reason, I don't remember why but I do remember regretting it when it came time to leave.

I was seated quickly by the hostess and given my bread then my server came around to take my drink order. I ordered a Very Berry Punch.

At this point the food came fast and furious. The poor guy doing the running kept laughing because there was just no room on my table. I was at a three top and I have no idea how two more people would have been able to eat there with me.

Salad with Honey Lime Dressing

I only had a bit of the salad as I was saving room for the good stuff, but it was tasty.

Potstickers

These are good, very crispy which I love.

Sticky Wings

Only had one or two of these because I generally avoid poultry. They were good though and was glad that I did try them. They are better than the wings that Kona serves which I find too mustardy.

Lo Mein Noodles

These are the best part of the meal for me. I don't know what it is, but just thinking about them makes my mouth water.

When it came time to get the meats I was pleasantly surprised when my waiter brought the shrimp first. Usually it's Pork, chicken first and then steak, shrimp later. I gladly took about a dozen shrimp and started eating.

I had a hard time peeling these than I have in the past and was eating a lot more shell than I would like, but they were still very good, especially when dipped in the sweet and sour sauce.

When my waiter came back to check on me and ask if I wanted the other meats I declined as I was happy with just the shrimp. I really didn't want to over stuff myself like I usually do at 'Ohana and I succeeded.

Last but not least was the dessert.

I love the sauce that they pour over the top and love the ice cream, again, can't go wrong with vanilla. The bread pudding itself leaves a little bit to be desired so I don't ever eat too much of it.

It was a very good meal all in all and I will certainly be back again.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:39 PM   #8
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Great reviews, right to the point. Thanks!

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:44 PM   #9
SlightlyGoofy
I shall be forced to take you on an endless tour
I know where some of your favorite spots are

Love the title

Quacktatty, I could not help but notice the title of your TR and instantly fell in love. These days with all the political ads a bit of honesty was quite refreshing.

The pictures were not all that bad and the reviews were not mediocre so I have been lied to yet once again.

Aopears as though you had a great time and that is all that matters.

Slightly Goofy

We just moved to our Happy Place
All Star Sports is our second home!!
SlightlyGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:13 PM   #10
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

A very enjoyable review actually. Shame about your ice cream. Was that the Andapur Bus? I love the icecream there. DD had one last month but I had a giant ghost Mickey popcorn bucket with no help to eat it so I didn't get an icecream. I did have a taste and it was good as always. They must have had a not so good batch.

We really enjoyed Ohana too. Service and food was great. We will be back for sure. I love your descriptions not only of the food but of your dining experiences.
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:19 PM   #11
Pooh&OurHunny
DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing.

Grand Floridian (son 1st Disney Trip) May & October2007
Swan Feb 2008
AKL May 2008
Swan & CSR December 2010
Pooh&OurHunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:07 PM   #12
Quacktatty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloelovesdisney View Post
Great reviews, right to the point. Thanks!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlightlyGoofy View Post
Quacktatty, I could not help but notice the title of your TR and instantly fell in love. These days with all the political ads a bit of honesty was quite refreshing.

The pictures were not all that bad and the reviews were not mediocre so I have been lied to yet once again.

Aopears as though you had a great time and that is all that matters.
I didn't want to give anybody the false sense that this would be an interesting review, I'm all about honesty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
A very enjoyable review actually. Shame about your ice cream. Was that the Andapur Bus? I love the icecream there. DD had one last month but I had a giant ghost Mickey popcorn bucket with no help to eat it so I didn't get an icecream. I did have a taste and it was good as always. They must have had a not so good batch.

We really enjoyed Ohana too. Service and food was great. We will be back for sure. I love your descriptions not only of the food but of your dining experiences.
Yes, the Anandapur bus...usually it's very good but I think something was wrong with the batch I got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh&OurHunny View Post
Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:23 PM   #13
Quacktatty
DIS Veteran

Earl of Sandwich

If you don't like gross pictures you should probably stop reading this post now...

I ordered the Holiday Special sandwich at EOS which was Turkey, Stuffing, Gravy and Cranberry Sauce. What a sad looking sandwich

It didn't taste great, it didn't taste horrible either, but I think the stuffing was too mushy. If you have a D'Angelo's in your area they make a much better sandwich called the Thanksgiving Toasted and instead of putting gravy on the sandwich itself, it's given to you on the side to use as a dip. Kind of like a French Dip on steroids.

I also had macaroni salad which for me is a never fail at EOS.

I got a great table in the shade outside and enjoyed people watching while I ate.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:52 PM   #14
Quacktatty
DIS Veteran

F&W Deminar - Chef TJ Sudwisa

After hearing so much about Chef TJ on the boards, I knew that I needed to take advantage of his Food and Wine appearance. Before he even came out to cook I knew he would be good. His line, while not quite as long as the celebrity chefs, was already fairly long when I arrived about 30 minutes early. In fact, Deb Wills from Allears.net was there waiting to see Chef TJ too. She was busy talking with folks in front of her so I didn't get a chance to say hello at that moment.

The host was that John guy again and he brought out Michael Flannery the world's most self important vodka guy. Okay, so that's probably not his official title, but it's what I dubbed him after my experiences. He made us a vodka sour drink using Belvedere Pink Vodka.

The drink was good, I'll give him that.

Before Chef TJ came out his staff of sous chefs came out and gave everyone a gift.

It was a little bottle of spices on a necklace. I love free stuff and the spices smelled great, kind of like a house mixture of spices - garlic, salt, pepper, onion powder, etc. I have yet to use it but i think it would go really well with a steak.

Chef TJ came out after that with lots of fanfare, he walked through the crowd with a pan tossing around something that smelled great, never figured out what it was though - it wasn't anything he used in his recipes.

The cooking started and we got two items - first was Mango Lime Tostones. They were basically plantains topped with a mango salsa.

The tostone was good but would have been much better had it been served warm.

The next item was a mango tart. The tart was tiny, but very tasty.

Chef TJ took some questions throughout and even asked the audience while cooking if anybody was allergic to nuts. He must get that a lot

After the deminar was over I hung back for a few minutes to speak with Deb from All Ears. She was really nice and gave me some All Ears trading cards, we even talked a little bit about Chef TJ's popularity and wondered if he had any idea the internet fame he has gained.

This deminar was well worth my time and money, a great experience for sure.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:05 PM   #15
djm195
Earning My Ears

Great review.

After reading your thread I think I'll try Ohana's --everything looks so good.
djm195 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: