Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2014, 09:43 AM   #1
geraldines
Earning My Ears

Shuttle service MCO to Port Canaveral

We are arriving the night before and stating near the port. We'll be taking DCL transport back to MCO. What shuttle services have you used to get to Port Canaveral? Is a shuttle can an uncomfortable 90 min. Ride ? Should we look for a motor coach or splurge for a town car? There are three of us in out travel party. What recommendations can you share?
geraldines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:37 AM   #2
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

We use a one-way car rental from MCO to get to the Cocoa Beach area, about $50 total. Then use the car rental shuttle to get to port. There are several rental agencies, and hotels with shuttles, only about 5 minutes from the port.

An alternative if you are arriving at night is to stay in the airport area -- Hyatt MCO or another hotel close. Then take the DCL transfers from MCO to PC in the morning. DCL transfers cost $35 per person each way. So rental is less expensive, but DCL bus is convenient. Private car service for a party of 3 may be similar cost as the DCL transfers.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2014, 11:32 AM   #3
staffieri
DIS Veteran

It depends on how many you have in your party. But we use DCL transportation to get to the port. Love it. Stay the night at the Hyatt and leave from there. So easy. They take your luggage from your room. Also, when you go check in for your DCL transfer they check you into the cruise, so when your arrive at the boat you are all ready to go.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:28 PM   #4
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by staffieri View Post
... Also, when you go check in for your DCL transfer they check you into the cruise, so when your arrive at the boat you are all ready to go.
Just wanted to mention this is no longer true. All passengers must do check-in at the port terminal after arrival. MCO check-in was eliminated a while ago.

Enjoy your cruise!
Old 05-27-2014, 02:50 PM   #5
XMom
DIS Veteran

If we are checking out of Saratoga Springs that morning, can we take the DME bus to MCO then get onto a DCL bus earlier than if we waited at Saratoga Springs? We want to get to the port early.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:44 PM   #6
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMom View Post
If we are checking out of Saratoga Springs that morning, can we take the DME bus to MCO then get onto a DCL bus earlier than if we waited at Saratoga Springs? We want to get to the port early.
Honestly...that's a lot of work. I'd suggest a private car service direct from your resort if you want to go earlier than DCL transfers.

To do what you suggest, you would need to 1) provide a "real but dummy" flight number to DME (real because they will give your DME pick-up time based on the flight time, but dummy because you don't plan to fly) for a flight approximately 3 hours earlier than you want to be picked up, 2) get up, shower, dress, eat breakfast, get your bags to DME for approx. 1-hour ride to MCO, 3) lug your bags through the airport from drop-off at departures to the DME desk at arrivals, 4) check-in for DCL transfers and take your bags out to the truck, and 5) board bus to ride another hour to the port. If you are trying to do this for the first bus to DCL, you have to be up and out of your resort quite early.

Enjoy your cruise!
Old 05-27-2014, 09:27 PM   #7
XMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
Honestly...that's a lot of work. I'd suggest a private car service direct from your resort if you want to go earlier than DCL transfers.

To do what you suggest, you would need to 1) provide a "real but dummy" flight number to DME (real because they will give your DME pick-up time based on the flight time, but dummy because you don't plan to fly) for a flight approximately 3 hours earlier than you want to be picked up, 2) get up, shower, dress, eat breakfast, get your bags to DME for approx. 1-hour ride to MCO, 3) lug your bags through the airport from drop-off at departures to the DME desk at arrivals, 4) check-in for DCL transfers and take your bags out to the truck, and 5) board bus to ride another hour to the port. If you are trying to do this for the first bus to DCL, you have to be up and out of your resort quite early.

Enjoy your cruise!
Wow! I'm tired just from reading that!!

Let me ask another question. If we are staying at SSR, what is the closest three rental companies that we can return the car at the port? We can take the DCL bus back to Bay Lake after the cruise.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:24 PM   #8
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMom View Post
Wow! I'm tired just from reading that!!

Let me ask another question. If we are staying at SSR, what is the closest three rental companies that we can return the car at the port? We can take the DCL bus back to Bay Lake after the cruise.
I believe National and Alamo are available on-site at WDW at the Car Care Center with a complimentary shuttle. I've also heard there is a car rental at the Swan/Dolphin and Shades of Green. Several rental agencies have return locations close to Port Canaveral with free shuttle service.

Enjoy your vacation!
Old 05-28-2014, 01:27 PM   #9
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

www.mousesavers.com has discount code for rental cars and talks about what car rental companies are at WDW.

And yes, you can take a one-way DCL transfer from ship to MCO on the return. $35 pp

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:36 PM   #10
XMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
www.mousesavers.com has discount code for rental cars and talks about what car rental companies are at WDW. And yes, you can take a one-way DCL transfer from ship to MCO on the return. $35 pp MJ
Do they have it from the port back to WDW? We will be staying one night at Bay Lake Tower after the cruise.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:52 PM   #11
bwanabobby
Earning My Ears

Yes they do, they'll take you right to the Resort. It will cost, but tell them when you're filling out your ship documents.
bwanabobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: