Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2014, 05:29 PM   #1
jnbmom
Earning My Ears

Bad batches of Disney Gift cards from Target.com

I know that many people have had the same experience lately... I purchased loads of gift cards to pay off our cruise. I placed two separate orders of $350 each, thinking I was really getting a great deal with the 10% off plus the extra 5% with the red card discount. Low and behold, those 2 orders (one was on my mom's account) arrived inactive. I had read many nightmare experiences about calling Target.com to resolve the problems and decided to try going directly to our regular Target store to see if they could help. The short version is that we still have to call Target.com again tomorrow to speak to someone in the imaginary specialty gift card department. If anyone has had this experience recently and has suggestions on how to solve it expediently, I would love to hear suggestions. So far, my husband has spent two hours today and still has to start all over tomorrow.

For anyone that has purchased gift cards, especially from Target.com, please make sure you check to see that they are activated. I can't imagine if I had waited and taken those for our shipboard account. I wouldn't wish this on anyone, and it definitely is NOT worth the tiny bit of extra savings.
jnbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:37 PM   #2
robinb
DIS Veteran

Here is a thread started by someone who had the same problem:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3352555

Can I ask you something? Were all cards in a batch active or inactive? I'm thinking that I really only need to check one card per batch. If one is OK I assume the others were activated too.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2014, 05:42 PM   #3
jnbmom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post

Can I ask you something? Were all cards in a batch active or inactive? I'm thinking that I really only need to check one card per batch. If one is OK I assume the others were activated too.
Yes, all 7 in two separate orders were inactive. I have read others that have had just one in a batch, so I would check them all just to be sure.
jnbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:56 PM   #4
turkey1031
Mouseketeer

My cards should arrive tomorrow via usps. Now I'm a bit more nervous than I was before but there still is hope. I wonder how many different people they have activating these cards? Maybe it's all new people who weren't trained properly. You'd think with all of the calls coming in with the same issue that they'd make sure everyone was following procedure.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #5
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Yep, sadly it's "me" that started that but unfortunately I wasn't the first and won't be the last and I'm still not over it - lol. The more I read this still happening it just gets me going as it's not acceptable (see below). I'm so sorry this happened to you OP and I truly hope you get it resolved soon and I'm wishing you pixie dust!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey1031 View Post
My cards should arrive tomorrow via usps. Now I'm a bit more nervous than I was before but there still is hope. I wonder how many different people they have activating these cards? Maybe it's all new people who weren't trained properly. You'd think with all of the calls coming in with the same issue that they'd make sure everyone was following procedure.
THIS^^^ See below
So, wouldn't you know it - a friend who ordered some gift cards with the BF 10% off Target cards received hers and every single one is *not activated* - $300 total and it was the entire batch. I told her I'd help by calling and see how far I get or what I can do.

I will be sending another letter to Target and I'm going up again. This is totally unacceptable. I work for a Fortune 100 company and there are checks and balances, complaint processes, escalating of issues or common themes and as mentioned previously, there has to be someone, just someONE somewhere saying, "dang there sure are a lot of people calling with non-activated Disney gift cards" - clearly there is a flaw in their system. There must be a way they can see if it's intentional and "theft" related (don't think so in my situation), or simply the same people, same team simply not following procedure and activating them (which is clearly my issue and others). As mentioned, I have known to check for awhile and I've ordered and bought Disney gift cards from Target for years and hit my first bad one last month, now my friend. I feel so incredibly bad and sorry for those not on the DIS or who know to check before leaving to go on a cherished WDW vacation or heaven forbid a cruise. I can't imagine going to Guest Services at sea and trying to apply the dud gift cards and there isn't anything you can do about it.

I hope they get this fixed and soon and it feels it's clearly happening to more and more people so the odds are "forever in your favor" now - yikes.

Heather
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013.
DCL (Platinum): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, 4/2014 Fantasy, 9/2014 Dream (Mom and I), & 12/2014 Wonder Next: 6/2015 (Magic-Europe), & 3/2016 Magic/WDW.
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:16 PM   #6
snchpnz
Mouseketeer

Yeah, same thing happened to me a few months back. I don't remember all the details but I know I spent over a week calling Target.com and being told to wait, that the cards would be activated etc.. I called 4 or 5 times until they finally transferred me over to someone in the U.S. who just refunded my money and told me to buy new cards. Never again will I buy Disney Gift Cards from Target.com. Too much hassle if there's a problem.
snchpnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:29 PM   #7
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBelieveInTheMagic View Post
This is totally unacceptable. I work for a Fortune 100 company and there are checks and balances, complaint processes, escalating of issues or common themes and as mentioned previously, there has to be someone, just someONE somewhere saying, "dang there sure are a lot of people calling with non-activated Disney gift cards" - clearly there is a flaw in their system.
I talked to my DH about this. He also works for a Fortune 100 company and he consults with other Fortune 100 companies. He said that many companies are set up like multiple silos. Each silo (say sales, fulfillment, customer service) has it's own system and procedures. But the "silo" doing fulfillment doesn't know how the "silo" doing sales works and visa versa. It is extremely difficult for there to be cross-communications between the silos. So, there may be someONE who says, "dang there sure are a lot of people calling with non-activated Disney gift cards" but the probability of that person being able to make a change in the fulfillment silo is very low.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:36 PM   #8
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

I actually received an email saying my gift cards would now be delayed. So I have a feeling Target is now aware there's an issue.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:06 PM   #9
liz18
Earning My Ears

Hoping Target now realizes and will resolve the problem! What a has sell that must be dealing with getting those inactive cards active again
liz18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:27 PM   #10
meggybear17
Knows she never says anything interesting enough for the Tag Fairy to recognize!

I ordered almost $6k in gift cards online from about July through November of this year. Every one them was fine until my most recent 4 orders totalling $600. I have called target numerous times and usually the specialty gift card department is closed, they dont know the hours they are open and they dont have a direct number to call them back. On Friday i was finally put in touch with a supervisor and spent an hour on the phone giving her every imaginable number on the gift cards. Thought it was all taken care of. Nope still have $100 that aren't activated. Back to the phone calls tomorrow! I did also contact the disney gift card hotline but they were not able to do anything on their end.

Past trips:
February 2014: 7 nights AKL
Sept 2013: 4 nights SSR and BWV than B2B Dream cruises
June 2013: 4 nights Contemporary for little dude's 3rd Bday!
Nov/Dec 2012-1 night AofA, 8 nights AKV, 1 night BWV
Sept 2012 2 nights OKW and one night BLT
10/11: All Star Movies 8 days free dining! Baby's first trip
1/2009: AKL 8 days
9/2007: POR 9 days with free dining!
7/2003: Offsite (private pool house) 7 days
6/2001: All Star Sports 5 Days
7/2000: One day whirlwind trip while visiting relatives
4/1996: Boardwalk Inn 5 Days
4/1994: Poly 5 Days
1983-1990 Annual day trips to Magic Kingdom as a child
meggybear17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:29 PM   #11
ktate82
DIS Veteran

Yikes, we just ordered $300 worth of Disney GC online. We placed it on Saturday and later that day got a shipment notification. I have never had an issue with any we ordered online, but since everyone else is having issues, I'm a little nervous.
Sept 2014 AKL, June 2014 SWW at OKW, Feb 2014 Disney Magic, Sept 2013 AKL, May 2013 POP, Dec 2012 AOA, Sept 2012 POP, Sept 2011 Poly, March 2011 Poly, Sept 2010 CBR, July 1995 off site (MK only), Aug 1987 off site (MK only)

ktate82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:35 AM   #12
cloud10
Earning My Ears

I ordered my Disney GC on Black Friday. They were shipped via UPS Mail Innovations. UPS tracking shows that the package was handed off to USPS on 12/2 and reports "This shipment is progressing through the postal system to the final destination." I checked USPS's system and it says on 12/3 "The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on December 3, 2014 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if/when available. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later." There has not been any updates since then.

The UPS rep I talked to said they already handed the package to USPS, and that I should call Target to track it down. I then called Target, whose rep said since the order is not scheduled to arrive until 12/10 in Target's system (even though UPS' website says it should've been delivered on 12/5), she is unable to help me until after 12/10.

I've sent an email to USPS to see if they're able to track down the shipment for me.

In the meantime I guess I'll just twiddle my thumbs and continuing checking every day...
cloud10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:36 AM   #13
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Didn't they do this last Black Friday, too?

Quote:
So, there may be someONE who says, "dang there sure are a lot of people calling with non-activated Disney gift cards" but the probability of that person being able to make a change in the fulfillment silo is very low.
And even if they are looking at it, by having the CS reps code each contact, they aren't seeing it in real time. They are seeing a clump of data, perhaps a week or two later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud10 View Post
I ordered my Disney GC on Black Friday. They were shipped via UPS Mail Innovations. UPS tracking shows that the package was handed off to USPS on 12/2 and reports "This shipment is progressing through the postal system to the final destination." I checked USPS's system and it says on 12/3 "The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on December 3, 2014 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if/when available. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later." There has not been any updates since then.

The UPS rep I talked to said they already handed the package to USPS, and that I should call Target to track it down. I then called Target, whose rep said since the order is not scheduled to arrive until 12/10 in Target's system (even though UPS' website says it should've been delivered on 12/5), she is unable to help me until after 12/10.

I've sent an email to USPS to see if they're able to track down the shipment for me.

In the meantime I guess I'll just twiddle my thumbs and continuing checking every day...
The UPS/Fedex-to-USPS stuff is such a pain and has been since I was at amazon dealing with it when it started. It's never changed, it's never gotten better. USPS doesn't have any sort of tracking priority, and more often than not "delivered" just means "delivered to your local post office, expect it once your postal carrier gets it to you". Of course, even UPS states that tracking isn't their priority; getting you your stuff is, so tracking stuff at this time of year can be a serious pain. Even my husband, who KNOWS better (we met while working CS at amazon, he was part of a big UPS tracking project I took it upon myself to do and he was the one that sat down with managers and UPS people about it and he still works for amazon), got panicky because of wording of an email saying osmething was delayed. Called UPS, called the reps at work (they can't do things to their own accounts, they have to go through the official ways), got all bothered...when it's just htat half of his shipment got Next Day air the day after the first half of his shipment. He'd only asked for 2 day.

Anyway, I'd wait until the 10th if that's what Target said to expect. They aren't going to replace anything until then, and if they do replace the GCs you'll likely have to return them anyway, because your stuff will likely be in your mailbox soon. That "smartpost" nonsense is just awful IMO.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:54 AM   #14
SUSIEQ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz18 View Post
Hoping Target now realizes and will resolve the problem!
I wouldn't count on that. The inactive Disney gift card fiasco has been going on for at least 2 years that I am WELL aware of!
Old 12-08-2014, 01:59 AM   #15
MamaGripsLuvsWDW
Earning My Ears

Has anyone had an issue buying them at an actual Target store? Do you still get the 5% off using the red card?

Tracy
MamaGripsLuvsWDW is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: